NH - Kassandra - Benjamin - Mason Sweeney Shot to Death in Northfield - Juvenile Charged *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Michael Garrity, director of communications for the New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General, at the time of publication told Newsweek in an email on Wednesday that some details of the case are limited due to the suspect being a juvenile.

"What we can say, is that Eric Sweeney has been indicted by the Merrimack County Grand Jury and there is no suspicion or belief that any other person is criminally responsible for the murders of Kassandra Sweeney, and her sons Benjamin and Mason," Garrity said.

224e024812754d1c9eb615952897810f_md.jpg

NORTHFIELD, N.H. (TCD) -- A 17-year-old male stands accused of fatally shooting his sister-in-law and her two young children in their home last year.

According to an Oct. 4 news release from the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, a Merrimack County grand jury indicted Eric Sweeney on three counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of 25-year-old Kassandra, 4-year-old Benjamin, and 23-month-old Mason Sweeney.

Horrific tragedy. From the quoted link dated 11/7/23:

What we learned about what happened that day

According to court records, location data from Kassandra’s phone indicates that it began traveling away from her home at 56 Wethersfield Dr. down I-93 south just before 11 a.m., the Globe reported. About 20 minutes later, her husband, Sean Sweeney, received more messages from her Snapchat account, but they appear to have been from his brother. They reportedly said “Help. It’s Eric.”

A little after 11:20 a.m., Sean called 911 and asked that an ambulance be sent to his home, the Globe reported. When asked what had happened, he said “I don’t know … my brother told me someone broke in and killed them all.”

Police found the three victims dead in the home around 11:30 a.m., the AG’s office said previously. Their deaths were soon ruled homicides, and the AG’s office revealed that they’d each died of a single gunshot wound.

This case was just so so so sad........
Lovely young couple in a lovely sleepy NH town...

Sean and his wife KNEW the brother had problems.... but there was just so little they could really do.
How many times do we see this?

This case was just so so so sad........
Lovely young couple in a lovely sleepy NH town...

Sean and his wife KNEW the brother had problems.... but there was just so little they could really do.
How many times do we see this?
Since the defendant wasn't named until recently, so little is known about the family dynamics here but I wonder if he was living with brother Sean because he was too much for their parents to deal with. o_O

This case absolutely breaks my heart - especially for Sean. He wanted to have his brother removed from the house, but it is so difficult to get help!! There needs to be something done to help with people who have mental issues!

I'm just catching up. Do we know if there were drugs involved with the brother?
I'm curious as well. Did the brother attend school? Was he in trouble in the past? Did he have a mental illness that they thought they could "handle" with no signs of violence previously? Just wondering if he thought he was acting out a video game or some scenario they could never have predicted. Or were there warning signs? I'm just catching up here as well.

I'm curious as well. Did the brother attend school? Was he in trouble in the past? Did he have a mental illness that they thought they could "handle" with no signs of violence previously? Just wondering if he thought he was acting out a video game or some scenario they could never have predicted. Or were there warning signs? I'm just catching up here as well.
I believe ES was only 16 at the time of the murders, and then add life under the COVID years, and here we have a minor who was very much unknow or little information is available.

Also, by now, I'm sure all social media has been scrubbed.

There were warning signs at least while living with them. They called the police on him prior and was trying to get him out of their house.

11/2/2023 -- news video also at link above

MANCHESTER, N.H. —
A teenager accused of killing his sister-in-law and two young nephews claimed that someone else broke into their Northfield home and killed them, according to newly released court documents.

Eric Sweeney, 17, is accused of killing Kassandra Sweeney and her sons, Benjamin and Mason, last year.

According to court records, Kassandra Sweeney and her husband, the defendant's brother, had been trying to get Eric Sweeney out of the home for some time, saying he had been making strange comments, and they were worried about the safety of their children.

The court records show that Eric Sweeney's brother, Sean Sweeney, was the first person to call 911, telling the dispatcher that he had just heard from his brother, who told him someone had broken into the home and "killed them all."

11/8/23

Eric, who had been living with his older brother at the time of the murders, told police that he had taken a shower and gone downstairs to his basement bedroom when "he heard something break" and a "deep, male voice yelling followed by multiple 'pops,'" according to the motion.

He then told police that he waited a while before going upstairs, grabbed his sister-in-law's phone and keys, exited the residence, and drove off in a truck, according to the motion.

[..]

There had already been issues with Eric as well prior to the shooting, Sean told police.

"Sean told officers that there was growing tension in the family because of the defendant's behaviors to the point that the defendant would not listen to him and they were barely speaking to one another," the motion says. "He stated that he had installed a lock on the door to the master bedroom, in order to keep the defendant out of the room but that he didn’t believe that Kassandra locked the door, Sean told investigators that he and Kassandra wanted the defendant out of their home and had been taking steps to remove him."

Eric's claims of a home invasion were quickly debunked thanks to footage from a Ring camera and interviews with the tree workers who had been on the street that day, with both showing no one else entered the house that morning, according to the motion.

How was he able to get his hands on a gun and ammunition? (I looked it up and found nothing online so assume nothing has been reported about this yet.)

Sean had a gun safe under his bed with 2 guns in it for protection; and when they checked, one gun was missing
Yes, the key for the (locked) gun box was also found on the teen along with the victim's phone and her car keys. It seems he was determined to prevent his SIL from fleeing or calling for help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill
Back