NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FEB 8, 2023
Thursday marks 19 years since Maura Murray, a beloved athlete and fledgling nursing student, disappeared after she was involved in a car accident along a New Hampshire roadway. Uninjured, she spoke to a local bus driver moments after the crash, but disappeared minutes later and has been missing ever since.

Nearly two decades later, Murray’s family has remained steadfast in their quest for information and evidence that will lead them to her.

Murray’s sister, Julie Murray, has chronicled her and her family’s efforts on TikTok, through the account @mauramurraymissing, where she had garnered 2.7 million likes and over 225,000 followers as of this week.

[...]

Murray would be 40 years old today, and would celebrate her 41st birthday in May. ...

[...]

Anyone with information related to Murray’s disappearance is asked to contact the New Hampshire Cold Case Unit at (603) 223-3648 or via email at Coldcaseunit@dos.nh.gov.

Maura Murray

“You can never lose sight of that and you can never lose hope because that’s the only thing that fuels us and allowed us to continue for almost two decades now,” she said.

“The first is to hopefully jog someone’s memory. The second is to reinvigorate people. The most important goal of the campaign is to continue to raise awareness that Maura Murray is still missing,” Julie Murray said.

Maura Murray

“You can never lose sight of that and you can never lose hope because that’s the only thing that fuels us and allowed us to continue for almost two decades now,” she said.

“The first is to hopefully jog someone’s memory. The second is to reinvigorate people. The most important goal of the campaign is to continue to raise awareness that Maura Murray is still missing,” Julie Murray said.
I truly hope we get an answer some day as to what happened to this young
woman!

FEB 9, 2023
In Woodsville Thursday night, on the 19th anniversary of her disappearance, her loved ones held a vigil in her honor. Gathered by candlelight, her loved ones came together at the very spot she was last seen to say a prayer for her safe return.

Julie Murray said they will never give up looking for her.

“We're able to get through days like this because of the love and the support of the community,” Julie Murray said. “Folks are here in person standing by us. They've been here since day one, and that's what allows us to keep going.”

Having watched the docs on maura I am stunned this witness that seen a police car parked right upto maura wasnt investigated further. I believe the police did very little to look into one of there own. For me the first officer on the scene is the guilty party. Over here in england it's happened far to often a police officer taking a young woman off the streets then murdered and disposed of. <modsnip - no link to an approved source> We can rule out she left if her own accord also that she ran into the woods and died in there. As they have been searched many times. She was taken against her will and for me that first officer on the scene needs questioning properly. It would not surprise me if he hasnt been questioned at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be twenty years in less than a year now. Her remains have to be somewhere regardless if they are a Jane Doe somewhere or spread out a long the country side or buried somewhere.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into one of those disappearances that people talk about half a century or more after they happened when the people that knew her are all dying of old age.

Having watched the docs on maura I am stunned this witness that seen a police car parked right upto maura wasnt investigated further. I believe the police did very little to look into one of their own. <modsnip> Over here in england it's happened far too often a police officer taking a young woman off the streets then murdered and disposed of. <modsnip>? We can rule out she left if her own accord also that she ran into the woods and died in there. As they have been searched many times. She was taken against her will and for me that first officer on the scene needs questioning properly. It would not surprise me if he hasnt been questioned at all
Did you see the documentary aired on the Oxygen network? They interviewed the police who responded to the accident and seemingly debunked the hypothesis of foul play on the part of law enforcement

Last edited by a moderator:
“Just a phenomenal athlete as well as an outstanding student,” Julie Murray said.

Julie Murray says her sister Maura is a legend at the high school in Hanson, Massachusetts, they both attended. But Maura’s loved ones are still waiting for her to come home.

Murray went missing in February 2004. She was a nursing student at UMass at the time and was possibly headed to a ski area before she vanished. Her car was found on the side of the road in North Haverhill, New Hampshire.

“We always have to hold out hope,” Julie said. “So we are taking it one day at a time. We continue to file tips and follow up on leads.”

Next week, the first annual Maura Murray Scholarship Award will be given to a graduating senior at Whitman-Hanson High School.

“It is a positive way to keep Maura’s legacy alive while inspiring and empowering other young students who display the same determination and drive that Maura did,” Julie said.

Over the years, there have been several leads in Maura’s disappearance. In 2019, a cement floor was ripped up in North Haverhill after dogs hit on a spot in the basement. In 2021, human remains were located at Loon Mountain. In both cases, investigators came up empty. But the search continues and the scholarship is a reminder that Maura Murray’s family has not given up on her.

“The worst thing that could happen is that Maura is forgotten about,” Julie said. “This is just another way for us to keep her story alive because we do feel that somebody knows something and we are hoping that while continuing to keep her story out there, her face out there, her name out there, someone will come forward with the missing piece to the puzzle.”

why not she hitchiked with the wrong person ..this or she tried the woods and felt somewhere or met some accident

I've lived in New Hampshire for a few years, but today I finally found myself near the crash site. I decided that because it was on the way back home that I would drive by because I've been following this case for a long time. I always hear in podcasts or interviews that the site is out of the way, but it truly hits you when you see it yourself. Sure, there's houses on this road but if one were to travel down a bit further? You would find yourself on a long stretch of road with nothing but deep woods. I happened to be out there when it was warm and sunny and I found it to be daunting - I can't imagine finding myself on that road when it is snowing.

Due to the location, I find it hard to believe that she happened to be picked up by someone. This location was so out of the way, I can't imagine someone just happened upon her. Additionally, each house on that road has a good vantage point of the crash site. If Maura had been picked up, I feel as if someone would've saw that happen. I think it's plausible that she wandered into the woods, as the surrounding wooded areas are dark and deep. If there were ever to be any search efforts, I'd pay close attention to the surrounding forest!

I've lived in New Hampshire for a few years, but today I finally found myself near the crash site. I decided that because it was on the way back home that I would drive by because I've been following this case for a long time. I always hear in podcasts or interviews that the site is out of the way, but it truly hits you when you see it yourself. Sure, there's houses on this road but if one were to travel down a bit further? You would find yourself on a long stretch of road with nothing but deep woods. I happened to be out there when it was warm and sunny and I found it to be daunting - I can't imagine finding myself on that road when it is snowing.

Due to the location, I find it hard to believe that she happened to be picked up by someone. This location was so out of the way, I can't imagine someone just happened upon her. Additionally, each house on that road has a good vantage point of the crash site. If Maura had been picked up, I feel as if someone would've saw that happen. I think it's plausible that she wandered into the woods, as the surrounding wooded areas are dark and deep. If there were ever to be any search efforts, I'd pay close attention to the surrounding forest!
Thank you for that description of the scene of the accident. I think it helps people understand more those surroundings and what she was facing that night.

Thank you for that description of the scene of the accident. I think it helps people understand more those surroundings and what she was facing that night.
No problem! Also, I feel like I should add that I'm not surprised she crashed on that curve. That road was not alone in that sharp turn, on my way there I had to deal with quite a few. Once again, it is definitely not a place I want to find myself at night and in the snow.

1691336737921.jpegDifferent groups of friends and family have been coming here annually to pay tribute to the woman who went missing when she was 21. This year’s tribute, though, was different.

This time, about six months ago, with snow and rain expected on the night of the event, some in the group, estimated to be about 25 to 30 people, rented a lodge, a place to stay dry, to blend those gathering in Maura’s name with family members of victims of other heinous crimes.

In a safe and comfortable environment, they could relate to one another, speak the same language, explain their grief to someone who would understand.

That was the start of what is called the New Hampshire Coalition of Families of the Missing and Murdered, a team of six women – and growing – who joined hands and created lifelong bonds in a grass roots manner, fueled by the awful common denominator that emerged in the lodge that night.

They’ll gather at the State House on Aug. 15 for their first official rally and plan to fire away at the state’s Attorney General’s Office for not bringing enough of these killers to justice. In the past, voices have risen, but never in the organized manner that this one features. They’re hoping to attract 100 supporters, maybe more.

AUG 13, 2023
As the 20-year remembrance nears in the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray in Haverhill, the Murray family has joined a coalition of other families with missing or murdered loved ones to demand that the New Hampshire attorney general take greater action and improve communication.

At 11 a.m. on Tuesday, the group will gather in front of the attorney general’s office in Concord for the New Hampshire coalition of unsolved missing and murdered advocacy event.

[...]

In a statement provided by the coalition, Murray said, “It’s been 19 years since my sister Maura disappeared and we are still left without answers. My family has encountered roadblock after roadblock in our dealings with public officials. This lack of transparency and communication from New Hampshire makes the ambiguity of the tragic situation all the more unbearable. We are frustrated and we demand action.”

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaliaDelilah
Back