NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would tend to agree except that Maura's aspirations and choices do not match up with petty theft etc. ( West Point- Nursing College, Track star)

although alcoholics tend to lose some inhibitions and many young women go through a thoughtless , remorseless phase , usually they out grow it.

Maura wasn't a teenager but she was still very young...theres just a lot about her that we don't know and I totally would love to hear from her friends about her
real story and her lifestyle. Where are they?

mOO

I would tend to agree except that Maura's aspirations and choices do not match up with petty theft etc. ( West Point- Nursing College, Track star)

mOO

We are basically just talking about Maura's personal life. You can generally completely separate people's personal/social life from their work or school life. A lot of times the only difference between college athletes and regular college students is that the college athletes are a little more disciplined at keeping their bodies in shape and in working out for their sport. But they are pretty much just like any other college kid in every other area of their life.

Has it ever been confirmed that Maura was sleeping with her track coach? How did that story start? If it was true I think that would give further credence that Maura may have been killed by people she knew. A teachers career can be ruined if they get caught sleeping with a student.

There have been successful college football coaches that have been fired because they were having sex with female students.

Last edited:
Has it ever been confirmed that Maura was sleeping with her track coach? How did that story start? If it was true I think that would give further credence that Maura may have been killed by people she knew. A teachers career can be ruined if they get caught sleeping with a student.

There have been successful college football coaches that have been fired because they were having sex with female students.

Good point do you know the name of the teacher who might be the suspect. You might well be right with your theory. My suspect is still the Connecticut River Valley Killer who I believed actually stopped offending in 2010. If you find out the name of the teacher perhaps it might be a good idea to pass it on to LE.

Good point do you know the name of the teacher who might be the suspect. You might well be right with your theory. My suspect is still the Connecticut River Valley Killer who I believed actually stopped offending in 2010. If you find out the name of the teacher perhaps it might be a good idea to pass it on to LE.

THe two male names that I have found for the 2003 and 2004 Umass track coaches were Ken O'Brien and Bob Otrando. If you try to click on their names though it just takes you to a 404 page since it has been so long ago.

Ken O’Brien retired in 2018 after being coach for 50 years. Think he graduated from college in 1964? So how old would he have been in 2004?

THe two male names that I have found for the 2003 and 2004 Umass track coaches were Ken O'Brien and Bob Otrando. If you try to click on their names though it just takes you to a 404 page since it has been so long ago.

Thanks for the info.

Ken O’Brien retired in 2018 after being coach for 50 years. Think he graduated from college in 1964? So how old would he have been in 2004?

Probably around 60. Age however doesn't really matter though when you are just talking about flings and sexual affairs. I googled the two names and found photos of them on an old Umass page and just going by their appearance Bob Otrando looks more like the 'type' that a college girl would go for. There were a couple female coaches on the staff as well during that time (the head coach for the women's track team was a lady(Bob Otrando helped out for both the men and women's track team as the strength and conditioning coach).

Not saying anything other than those were coaches on the UMass track team around that time period and there have definitely been stories that Maura was sleeping with one of the track coaches. Not exactly sure where those stories originated from or how much truth there is in them but they have been there. And if there is truth with those stories it would be a situation where the people involved would benefit from Maura not being around.

So does anybody know where the stories of Maura having an affair with a UMass track coach originated from?

Actually found a media guide for the 2002-03 season. Has a little write up about Kate Markopolous and has Maura's name in one of the stats lines under 10,000m run for 2002 outdoor track team. Has a photo which Maura is probably in but it is in black and white and pretty grainy. And actually Hossein Baghdadi is the one that Maura supposedly was having a fling with.

http://armchairdetective.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2003MediaGuide.pdf

Last edited:
Actually found a media guide for the 2002-03 season. Has a little write up about Kate Markopolous and has Maura's name in one of the stats lines under 10,000m run for 2002 outdoor track team. Has a photo which Maura is probably in but it is in black and white and pretty grainy. And actually Hossein Baghdadi is the one that Maura supposedly was having a fling with.

I can see her in the group photo. Like to be standing to the right with just her head visible.

He was interviewed by Renner and admitted to having a relationship with her. I’m not sure if he was an actual teacher or a track coach.

He was interviewed by Renner and admitted to having a relationship with her. I’m not sure if he was an actual teacher or a track coach.

Hmmm. If he himself admitted to it chances are good that something was there between them. According to that program that I linked to it said he was a grad assistant. Which is often what people do when they want to try to get into the coaching profession. It's usually an unpaid position while they are going to school (often while they are working on their masters).

If that was a team where the athletes were having sex with the coaches that honestly would open up a whole can of worms. From people wanting to try to cover things up to jealousy amongst the individuals on the team.

I think that entire track team needs to be thoroughly investigated if it hasn't been already.

Last edited:
Hmmm. If he himself admitted to it chances are good that something was there between them. According to that program that I linked to it said he was a grad assistant. Which is often what people do when they want to try to get into the coaching profession. It's usually an unpaid position while they are going to school (often while they are working on their masters).

If that was a team where the athletes were having sex with the coaches that honestly would open up a whole can of worms. From people wanting to try to cover things up to jealousy amongst the individuals on the team.

I think that entire track team needs to be thoroughly investigated if it hasn't been already.

Agreed, he has a degree in Chem engineering and his job has nothing to do with track, well it kinda does. People said that he skipped the country after Maura went missing but that's only partially true, he moved for his job at one point.

Here is another Podcast about the case:

So now on top of the two wrecks we know she had she also had an incident where she was driving a 100mph and from what I hear had her license suspended. If there is one thing that I will criticize Fred for is that he should have taken Maura's car away from her at that point. She had no business being behind the wheel until she became a more responsible driver as she was a danger to herself and everyone else on the road.

Also not sure I buy the idea that she was driving up there to reinstate her license. She was headed into Vermont and the places she called were in Vermont as well. I think the best explanation for why she was up there is that she just wanted to get away from life for awhile.

I can understand Julie not wanting to talk about it but they did completely ignore Bill Rausch's recent charges (maybe they will bring it up in part 2 if there is a part 2)

Glad that Julie agreed to do the show. I agree with Fred when he says nothing leading up to her disappearance had anything to do with what happened to her. Obviously if she wasn't there in the first place she'd still be alive, I just mean that if someone abducted her all the unanswered question leading up to the abduction really don't matter.

I also don't believe that two highly trained cadaver dogs would go to the exact same spot by accident. If someone broke down in the spot that Maura did which house in that immediate area would look the most inviting and safe for someone to go to so they could hide for a bit and possibly use the phone to call someone they knew for help.

Glad that Julie agreed to do the show. I agree with Fred when he says nothing leading up to her disappearance had anything to do with what happened to her. Obviously if she wasn't there in the first place she'd still be alive, I just mean that if someone abducted her all the unanswered question leading up to the abduction really don't matter.

I also don't believe that two highly trained cadaver dogs would go to the exact same spot by accident. If someone broke down in the spot that Maura did which house in that immediate area would look the most inviting and safe for someone to go to so they could hide for a bit and possibly use the phone to call someone they knew for help.

Oh I don't think she is in any of those houses and I don't think anybody who lived in those houses had anything to do with this case. If she was in any of those houses and any of those people had anything to do with the case than it would have been solved a long time ago. She either went into the woods either close by or on down the road or picked a ride with someone and they took her someplace else.

Have to remember she had already had several incidents with her vehicle before this and here was yet another one (in which she was likely drinking). She had every reason to get away from the area at that moment so she couldn't get caught.

And Cadaver dogs are never that reliable.

Oh I don't think she is in any of those houses and I don't think anybody who lived in those houses had anything to do with this case. If she was in any of those houses and any of those people had anything to do with the case than it would have been solved a long time ago. She either went into the woods either close by or on down the road or picked a ride with someone and they took her someplace else.

Have to remember she had already had several incidents with her vehicle before this and here was yet another one (in which she was likely drinking). She had every reason to get away from the area at that moment so she couldn't get caught.

And Cadaver dogs are never that reliable.

Yes cadaver dogs are reliable and if she was in one of those houses why would it be solved a long time ago?

Yes cadaver dogs are reliable and if she was in one of those houses why would it be solved a long time ago?

No they aren't reliable. There have been numerous instances where cadaver dogs supposedly got a 'hit' in this case alone and it turned out to be nothing. And if she was in one of the houses and the people along the road were involved than police would have cracked it already. Police aren't doing anything with the houses close by because there simply isn't anything there.

Need to remember a lot of the things that point to any locals along that road are all based on unsubstantiated rumors that are pretty much about as ridiculous as the 'rumors' that they joked about in the video.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back