NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And all I said is that he shouldn't be eliminated given what we know about him. There are no good suspects in this case as like I said before the only suspects that are more likely than Bill right now are suspects that people are inventing. It'd be foolish to completely eliminate the only 'named' suspicious person that we know of regarding this case.
Why should Bill not be eliminated as a suspect?

Because he has been charged with abusing women. That is why. Have you been keeping up with the drama surrounding him during the past year or so?
I have but I fail to see how it relates to Maura's disappearance?

I have but I fail to see how it relates to Maura's disappearance?

How are most girls murdered these days? They have abusive boyfriends or husbands. Not saying that Bill without a doubt did it or that he is even the most likely culprit. What I am saying though is because of his past he should not be eliminated from either killing her himself or being involved in someway with her disappearance until a suspect comes around that isn't completely made up or her body is found in the woods.

How are most girls murdered these days? They have abusive boyfriends or husbands. Not saying that Bill without a doubt did it or that he is even the most likely culprit. What I am saying though is because of his past he should not be eliminated from either killing her himself or being involved in someway with her disappearance until a suspect comes around that isn't completely made up or her body is found in the woods.
We don't know all the details surrounding her relationship between Bill and we may never know. It's likely her decision was influenced by something within that relationship but it's just complicated as the mystery of her surprise trip to the White Mountains. I think you could make a strong case that she was going on a last minute expedition to a place familiar to her. She attributed the White Mountains as a second home, according to Sharon's statements. She wanted to get married around that area. Even the book, Not Without Peril could have been an influence as it's premise outlines the dangers and fates of those exploring such treacherous terrain. While her actions certainly speak of a plan to take one last final stroll or ease her mind of the stresses of nursing life, one thing is for certain, we don't know where she is and we don't know what happened to her. For all we know, it could be that she succumbed to the elements or met with foul play trying to leave the area. It seems highly unlikely that Bill would have be directly involved - only that he was a factor in Maura's decision to leave without notice. Bill was closest with Maura and probably knows more about her thought process. It's just as likely that he's no more aware than the next person. Maura's case is unquestionably a mystery.

We don't know all the details surrounding her relationship between Bill and we may never know. It's likely her decision was influenced by something within that relationship but it's just complicated as the mystery of her surprise trip to the White Mountains. I think you could make a strong case that she was going on a last minute expedition to a place familiar to her. She attributed the White Mountains as a second home, according to Sharon's statements. She wanted to get married around that area. Even the book, Not Without Peril could have been an influence as it's premise outlines the dangers and fates of those exploring such treacherous terrain. While her actions certainly speak of a plan to take one last final stroll or ease her mind of the stresses of nursing life, one thing is for certain, we don't know where she is and we don't know what happened to her. For all we know, it could be that she succumbed to the elements or met with foul play trying to leave the area. It seems highly unlikely that Bill would have be directly involved - only that he was a factor in Maura's decision to leave without notice. Bill was closest with Maura and probably knows more about her thought process. It's just as likely that he's no more aware than the next person. Maura's case is unquestionably a mystery.

And like I said he may not be the most likely reason she disappeared but he shouldn't be eliminated either until someone comes around that is more likely that isn't made up by someone. That hasn't happened yet.

Women are often murdered by a man close to them, whether a boyfriend, a spouse, friend or an ex of some sort. Given the amount and variety of alcohol Maura had purchased, it's possible that she was meeting someone in White Mountains area. If that person was male, he would be a more likely choice for suspect than Bill, who was miles and miles away. If Bill and Maura's relationship was not a healthy one, that might have been a factor in her decision to get some time away from all sorts of pressures. I feel it's likely that someone knows where Maura was going and if she had intentions of meeting some person or persons--and that individual has kept quiet to protect Maura's reputation or to keep a promise she made not to tell.

Women are often murdered by a man close to them, whether a boyfriend, a spouse, friend or an ex of some sort. Given the amount and variety of alcohol Maura had purchased, it's possible that she was meeting someone in White Mountains area. If that person was male, he would be a more likely choice for suspect than Bill, who was miles and miles away. If Bill and Maura's relationship was not a healthy one, that might have been a factor in her decision to get some time away from all sorts of pressures. I feel it's likely that someone knows where Maura was going and if she had intentions of meeting some person or persons--and that individual has kept quiet to protect Maura's reputation or to keep a promise she made not to tell.

Oh I don't have any doubt that somebody within her circle of friends knows more than they are letting on. That's why I think the best way to get somewhere in this case is to dig into Maura's circle of friends. Quit going off of rumors that the local folk come up with and focus more on the people who actually knew Maura.

Oh I don't have any doubt that somebody within her circle of friends knows more than they are letting on. That's why I think the best way to get somewhere in this case is to dig into Maura's circle of friends. Quit going off of rumors that the local folk come up with and focus more on the people who actually knew Maura.
Who among her friends would you say has more information? Also, wouldn't the local folk have just as vital of information than those who aren't native to the area?

Who among her friends would you say has more information? Also, wouldn't the local folk have just as vital of information than those who aren't native to the area?

We only know a small handful of her friends. College kids (and especially college kids that live on college campuses) usually have a pretty significant circle of friends. They may only consider a few of them as being that close but people that they hang out with or go to parties with often number in the dozens and sometimes even hundreds. Try to turn up as many of them as you can.

And no the local folk wouldn't. A lot of the local folk will operate mainly off of rumors and outside of that they will know virtually nothing about it. Infact that is why they have had so many 'supposed' leads that have gone absolutely nowhere in this case. Because they have their root in rumors created by the local folk in the area.

There is a real possibility that wherever Maura was heading to she wasn't going to be alone. As that is simply the life of a college kid to plan a trip for a few days and go boozing with a couple people.

<removed quoted post which was removed>

It's possible that locals and college students could both have insight into this case. Maura Murray's friends, and students that were around her on a regular basis might have more insight into her life. Where she disappeared from is an area locals would be more familiar with. If she got into a random car worried about police and being in trouble for another accident the driver could have been from the area. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
they should dig up the property across and down from the accident where she was rumored to have been buried under a cement driveway or something.

the fact that you can draw a line to the property.. the possible perp fits a loose profile.

the fact Maura's scent stops close by.

sometimes there's a simple explanation ..drunk girl, possible head injury, steps into a strange home to clean up ..has a few drinks with some guy at that home who rapes, kills her,
and hides her body on private property.

this is what I'm thinking today and what does it take to do a more thorough investigation?

I know they thought enough to do some digging around..why didn't they continue?

this is the one theory that feels right...I can close my eyes and just envision it going down..
I bet she was crocked and the entire situation was a powder keg.

Maybe they were like you need to get inside because if they find you you are going to get a
DUI and spend the night in jail.

mOO

they should dig up the property across and down from the accident where she was rumored to have been buried under a cement driveway or something.

the fact that you can draw a line to the property.. the possible perp fits a loose profile.

the fact Maura's scent stops close by.

sometimes there's a simple explanation ..drunk girl, possible head injury, steps into a strange home to clean up ..has a few drinks with some guy at that home who rapes, kills her,
and hides her body on private property.

this is what I'm thinking today and what does it take to do a more thorough investigation?

I know they thought enough to do some digging around..why didn't they continue?

this is the one theory that feels right...I can close my eyes and just envision it going down..
I bet she was crocked and the entire situation was a powder keg.

Maybe they were like you need to get inside because if they find you you are going to get a
DUI and spend the night in jail.

mOO
If she's buried someplace, whoever buried her would have had to wait til springtime because the frost can be up to 3 feet deep in the winter in NH. You'd never dig through that with a shovel. Even the largest excavator would have a hard time breaking through that.

I also feel like once the cops came around, if Maura was already hidden it made it so much easier to make her disappear..because possibly she initially hid willingly.

once I thought maybe she went inside to sleep it off and died from a head injury..but when you interject some other aspects that have been attributed to this theory... I think you have to give that idea up and go with a drunk or even a very drunk Maura with strange men in the middle of the night , in the middle of nowhere.

what could go wrong?

mOO

Last edited:
so maybe people came out to the accident and tried to help but she wanted them out of her hair so she could figure out what to do with the cops coming...the whole time one of the neighbors has an eye on her, sees her exit the car to make her way up the road on foot. He comes out and convinces her to come on inside..he and a friend are just hanging out partying... I can totally see this 100 percent. this is where she disappears.

Also Maura is an athlete, has some cadet training . She knows the area and how treacherous it can be. So I never felt like she ran into the woods.

I don't believe she would do it.

mOO

mOO

Last edited:
I also feel like once the cops came around, if Maura was already hidden it made it so much easier to make her disappear..because possibly she initially hid willingly.

once I thought maybe she went inside to sleep it off and died from a head injury..but when you interject some other aspects that have been attributed to this theory... I think you have to give that idea up and go with a drunk or even a very drunk Maura with strange men in the middle of the night , in the middle of nowhere.

what could go wrong?

mOO
I'm curious to know when you think Maura started drinking?

so maybe people came out to the accident and tried to help but she wanted them out of her hair so she could figure out what to do with the cops coming...the whole time one of the neighbors has an eye on her, sees her exit the car to make her way up the road on foot. He comes out and convinces her to come on inside..he and a friend are just hanging out partying... I can totally see this 100 percent. this is where she disappears. mOO

I also think she was not an idiot and did not run into the woods. The fact that she knows the area , I think rules that out. She would know it was a bad idea. mOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu
Back