NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
for families of the missing to have-many times territoriality by LE groups works against the families of the missing because information is not shared from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Getting info out in public forums like "The Montel Show" are at times the only way that the loved ones have to try to alert the public to their lost loved one. As in Maura's case, the significant lack of cooperation by LE has hampered them significantly in their search. So if there is any way to aid in getting this database going, please let me know!

for families of the missing to have-many times territoriality by LE groups works against the families of the missing because information is not shared from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Getting info out in public forums like "The Montel Show" are at times the only way that the loved ones have to try to alert the public to their lost loved one. As in Maura's case, the significant lack of cooperation by LE has hampered them significantly in their search. So if there is any way to aid in getting this database going, please let me know!

Peabody said:
You are so correct AND Jennifer's case held the national media attention 'round the clock on network and cable news stations for days..........Maura's missing was not even announced publicly until her family was able to generate media interest on the Friday after she went missing: 4 days later.....

It is my understanding that they were unable to generate very much national media attention because of the lack of cooperation by NH LE. They declared her a run away from the beginning - not even reporting her abandoned car to her father for 24 hours (the abandoned car was registered in Maura's father's name)

Therefore, although loved ones doubt that Maura would ever run away and not let someone know she is well, they will never stop looking for her. They continue to face each day that she is not found harmed with the hope that she will be found alive.
do you think it would've helped, if the father just said that his car was stolen from the beginning? (I know it wasn't)

My mom has threatened to do this to me when I was younger. She would tell me that if I didn't return home on time she would report her car stolen.. I don't recall every being late ;)

But I was just curious to know if the police would've looked a little harder for the car and then would've reported it faster possibly?

Peabody said:
You are so correct AND Jennifer's case held the national media attention 'round the clock on network and cable news stations for days..........Maura's missing was not even announced publicly until her family was able to generate media interest on the Friday after she went missing: 4 days later.....

It is my understanding that they were unable to generate very much national media attention because of the lack of cooperation by NH LE. They declared her a run away from the beginning - not even reporting her abandoned car to her father for 24 hours (the abandoned car was registered in Maura's father's name)

Therefore, although loved ones doubt that Maura would ever run away and not let someone know she is well, they will never stop looking for her. They continue to face each day that she is not found harmed with the hope that she will be found alive.
do you think it would've helped, if the father just said that his car was stolen from the beginning? (I know it wasn't)

My mom has threatened to do this to me when I was younger. She would tell me that if I didn't return home on time she would report her car stolen.. I don't recall every being late ;)

But I was just curious to know if the police would've looked a little harder for the car and then would've reported it faster possibly?

sharon25 said:

Because neither Maura's family or her boyfriend were aware that she had decided to take a week from school they did not know that she was missing. (I know that you are new to the thread: On the Monday evening of Maura's missing, she had plans to call her Dad; she had also phoned and emailed her boyfriend on Monday saying she loved him and would call that night; Maura often "picked up" extra hours from her security job at UMass - while working this job, she was not allowed to use the phone......the job often went into the wee hours of the morning. Therefore both Dad and boyfriend were not panicked when she did not answer her cell phone Monday evening.)

It was not until around 5 PM on Tuesday that the police notified Maura's brother, Fred Murray Jr. about the abandoned car. they thought they were notifying the Fred Murray that owned the abandoned car......this of course was nearly 24 hours after the accident at 7 PM the evening before. The Haverhill Police never said anything about Maura and when the brother in panic told them that his sister would have been driving the car they described, they told him they didn't know anything about her. He begged them to search for her and to take a missing persons report. They told him that if she was missing, he would have to file the report in his hometown. Because she was away at school, the hometown police suggested the family call UMass. ....only recently was NH SP listed as the investigating agency for Maura on her poster at The National Center for Missing Adults http://www.theyaremissed.org/gallery/listview/profile_all.php?A200401157S
BECAUSE UMass had reported her as missing - Maura's brother called his father and although Mr. Murray also begged the police to go look for Maura, there was no search until the following day - more than 36 hours after the police went to the accident site.

From all reports from the family, the UMass Police were diligent and thorough in their investigation into Maura's missing. They could be of little help because she vanished in NH and not in MA.

the short of it is that Maura's father did not know to report his car stolen because he did not know that Maura was missing until 24 hours after she was last seen.

www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com/mauramissing.html

sharon25 said:

Because neither Maura's family or her boyfriend were aware that she had decided to take a week from school they did not know that she was missing. (I know that you are new to the thread: On the Monday evening of Maura's missing, she had plans to call her Dad; she had also phoned and emailed her boyfriend on Monday saying she loved him and would call that night; Maura often "picked up" extra hours from her security job at UMass - while working this job, she was not allowed to use the phone......the job often went into the wee hours of the morning. Therefore both Dad and boyfriend were not panicked when she did not answer her cell phone Monday evening.)

It was not until around 5 PM on Tuesday that the police notified Maura's brother, Fred Murray Jr. about the abandoned car. they thought they were notifying the Fred Murray that owned the abandoned car......this of course was nearly 24 hours after the accident at 7 PM the evening before. The Haverhill Police never said anything about Maura and when the brother in panic told them that his sister would have been driving the car they described, they told him they didn't know anything about her. He begged them to search for her and to take a missing persons report. They told him that if she was missing, he would have to file the report in his hometown. Because she was away at school, the hometown police suggested the family call UMass. ....only recently was NH SP listed as the investigating agency for Maura on her poster at The National Center for Missing Adults http://www.theyaremissed.org/gallery/listview/profile_all.php?A200401157S
BECAUSE UMass had reported her as missing - Maura's brother called his father and although Mr. Murray also begged the police to go look for Maura, there was no search until the following day - more than 36 hours after the police went to the accident site.

From all reports from the family, the UMass Police were diligent and thorough in their investigation into Maura's missing. They could be of little help because she vanished in NH and not in MA.

the short of it is that Maura's father did not know to report his car stolen because he did not know that Maura was missing until 24 hours after she was last seen.

www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com/mauramissing.html

Peabody said:

i've been lurking on and off on maura threads almost since she disappeared and one set of questions keeps coming up to me: Why didn't the local police or state troopers put out a search for her simply as a person on foot and in distress in fatally cold weather? Where did they think she went which would obviate such a search? Do they know something about where she went and now are covering up? If i called NH local police to report a stranded motorist at nightfall in 12 degree weather, they arrived and the motorist was gone, wouldn't they search?
what am i missing here??

Peabody said:

i've been lurking on and off on maura threads almost since she disappeared and one set of questions keeps coming up to me: Why didn't the local police or state troopers put out a search for her simply as a person on foot and in distress in fatally cold weather? Where did they think she went which would obviate such a search? Do they know something about where she went and now are covering up? If i called NH local police to report a stranded motorist at nightfall in 12 degree weather, they arrived and the motorist was gone, wouldn't they search?
what am i missing here??

crypto6 said:
what am i missing here??
Your questions are well put and are the same questions that those who love Maura can just not get out of their mind.

Unfortunately, only the police can answer those questions and from the beginning there has been deception on their part with the family.

Some factual information that I do have:

The boyfriend's mother called the Haverhill Police immediately after she learned that Maura was missing - this was Tuesday evening 2/10/04. She spoke to the officer that responded to the accident. When she asked him why they were just now notifying the family, he told her (notice how this fits with not telling the brother that they knew Maura was driving the car) that the only thing he knew was that they had received a call about a car sliding off the road. That when he arrived at the scene, the car was locked and no one was there. That there was only one set of footprints leading from the car.....and "this is a sking and snowmobiling tourist area. People's cars quit or they have minor accidents all of the time and leave their cars. When I saw the car was registered to 'Fred Murray's name, age and address', I assumed he was traveling with a group and simply got into another car. When he didn't get in touch with us today (24 hours after the accident), then we called him (they actually called Fred Murray Jr).

He also told her that he was on the scene within 10 minutes; that he met only 5-6 cars as he was traveling to the scene; that "witnesses" also reported 5-6 cars traveling the other direction, and that the person who called in the accident (this was the bus driver) drove one way while he drove the other direction looking for the driver. When they did not see anyone along the road that is when he determined that the driver was traveling with a group and got into another car.

Later, when the family, the boyfriend and his parents arrived in Haverhill, they learned that there were "witnesses" as to Maura's presence and that the police knew who she was: Her UMass ID sticker was on the car, and the bus driver had reported a young woman of about 20 years as being alone and driving the car. The family has a copy of the Haverhill Police press release which was released Tuesday evening 2/10/05 regarding Maura's missing. It states "witnesses" reported seeing her. Todate the family has only learned of the bus driver........is there another witness? The family doesn't know. They do know that none of the neigbors except for the bus driver was spoken to by any NH LE until 7 days after she went missing, so the other "witnesses" were not neighbors.

My opinion is the police erred big time in not searching for Maura. The family has been unsuccessful in obtaining any Policies and Procedures for Haverhill Police Dept or NH SP.........yet I have called my local authorities and they have been willing to provide to me a copy of their POP (at my expense to cover the copying) The policies and procedures would define what action or lack of action the police are required to take in this situation: a missing accident victim from the scene of an accident at night in the cold, snowy weather; and an accident victim that according to their reports was possibly intoxicated.

Since the police were not honest with the brother or the boyfriend's mother that they knew Maura was the driver of the car, it is my opinion that they know they erred in not searching for her resulting in spin from their offices...............when Maura first went missing, the police insisted that she was suicidal and a runaway. Later they said she succumbed to the elements. They have never acknowledged even the possibility that something may have happened to her.

They continue to say that there is no evidence of foul play. From the beginning the family has said her absence is evidence of foul play.

What do you think:confused:

crypto6 said:
what am i missing here??
Your questions are well put and are the same questions that those who love Maura can just not get out of their mind.

Unfortunately, only the police can answer those questions and from the beginning there has been deception on their part with the family.

Some factual information that I do have:

The boyfriend's mother called the Haverhill Police immediately after she learned that Maura was missing - this was Tuesday evening 2/10/04. She spoke to the officer that responded to the accident. When she asked him why they were just now notifying the family, he told her (notice how this fits with not telling the brother that they knew Maura was driving the car) that the only thing he knew was that they had received a call about a car sliding off the road. That when he arrived at the scene, the car was locked and no one was there. That there was only one set of footprints leading from the car.....and "this is a sking and snowmobiling tourist area. People's cars quit or they have minor accidents all of the time and leave their cars. When I saw the car was registered to 'Fred Murray's name, age and address', I assumed he was traveling with a group and simply got into another car. When he didn't get in touch with us today (24 hours after the accident), then we called him (they actually called Fred Murray Jr).

He also told her that he was on the scene within 10 minutes; that he met only 5-6 cars as he was traveling to the scene; that "witnesses" also reported 5-6 cars traveling the other direction, and that the person who called in the accident (this was the bus driver) drove one way while he drove the other direction looking for the driver. When they did not see anyone along the road that is when he determined that the driver was traveling with a group and got into another car.

Later, when the family, the boyfriend and his parents arrived in Haverhill, they learned that there were "witnesses" as to Maura's presence and that the police knew who she was: Her UMass ID sticker was on the car, and the bus driver had reported a young woman of about 20 years as being alone and driving the car. The family has a copy of the Haverhill Police press release which was released Tuesday evening 2/10/05 regarding Maura's missing. It states "witnesses" reported seeing her. Todate the family has only learned of the bus driver........is there another witness? The family doesn't know. They do know that none of the neigbors except for the bus driver was spoken to by any NH LE until 7 days after she went missing, so the other "witnesses" were not neighbors.

My opinion is the police erred big time in not searching for Maura. The family has been unsuccessful in obtaining any Policies and Procedures for Haverhill Police Dept or NH SP.........yet I have called my local authorities and they have been willing to provide to me a copy of their POP (at my expense to cover the copying) The policies and procedures would define what action or lack of action the police are required to take in this situation: a missing accident victim from the scene of an accident at night in the cold, snowy weather; and an accident victim that according to their reports was possibly intoxicated.

Since the police were not honest with the brother or the boyfriend's mother that they knew Maura was the driver of the car, it is my opinion that they know they erred in not searching for her resulting in spin from their offices...............when Maura first went missing, the police insisted that she was suicidal and a runaway. Later they said she succumbed to the elements. They have never acknowledged even the possibility that something may have happened to her.

They continue to say that there is no evidence of foul play. From the beginning the family has said her absence is evidence of foul play.

What do you think:confused:

:truce:

Oops - just noticed this is the missing information and support forum.

Will everyone please continue discussion of Maura's case at the missing/located discussion forum?

:truce:

Oops - just noticed this is the missing information and support forum.

Will everyone please continue discussion of Maura's case at the missing/located discussion forum?

Saturday would have been Maura's graduation day at UMass. On Maura's site there is a post that says that during the ceremony, each of the students wore a blue ribbon in memory of Maura.

Thinking of Maura.......
MD

Saturday would have been Maura's graduation day at UMass. On Maura's site there is a post that says that during the ceremony, each of the students wore a blue ribbon in memory of Maura.

Thinking of Maura.......
MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members