NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone else was in her car that evening.

The beer bottle could have been there for days or weeks. Although, she may have had one beer in her dorm room and took it along on her trip up north and drank it before going to the liquor store. I don't think it was listed on the liquor store receipt.

On the back passenger window opened a crack, I sometimes open my rear windows instead of my front side windows, because I don't like to be blasted with cold air in the face. I do this because I only want some fresh air in the car, especially if I get overheated from a winter jacket and the car's heater. In other words, there are innocent explanations for what was found in her car after the accident. The police would have to do DNA tests and take fingerprints to settle these questions.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the window being open either I think the reporter just wanted to speculate. But I'm just thinking if it were my daughter who was missing and I knew the car had been left in a yard ( LaVoie's, was it? ) and if I thought the LE were treating it as a runaway or someone who'd fled the scene as a DUI but I really thought they'd been abducted, well, I'd want that car and everything in it preserved in case that sometime in the future something as trivial-sounding as a beer can could yield a clue or a fingerprint could point to a stranger being in the car. You just don't know. There would probably be a batch code on the can saying when it was manufactured which mightn't help but what if Maura hated beer or that brand of beer......? Same goes for the amount of gas in the tank. The car is the last known tangible place Maura was and there might be possible evidence but it is my understanding the car was left out in the open somewhere.

There was a soda bottle that was thrown on the ground under the car that LE said smelled of alcohol. As for the window, she may have opened a rear window for air not wanting to hear the noise from the air in a front window. I also believe she was alone that night. As for the empty beer bottle, could have been from anyone at anytime, or someone she may have lent the car to. An empty beer bottle in a college kids car, now that's a new one on me!

There was a soda bottle that was thrown on the ground under the car that LE said smelled of alcohol. As for the window, she may have opened a rear window for air not wanting to hear the noise from the air in a front window. I also believe she was alone that night. As for the empty beer bottle, could have been from anyone at anytime, or someone she may have lent the car to. An empty beer bottle in a college kids car, now that's a new one on me!

I agree. There is no proof anyone was in her car that night. The ATM and liquor store videos as well as the witness statements suggests that she was alone. I believe she either succumbed to the elements or had got in the wrong car. If she was hurt by someone, he wouldn't necessarily have to be a serial killer. He could have been someone who made advances and took advantaged of her. Since she saw his face, he may have killed her to make sure she wouldn't go to the police. The whole situation could have been done on impulse, perhaps panic.

Another thought: After leaving the accident scene, she could have eventually drank some of the alcohol, she may have had in her back pack. The Bailys comes to mind.
She could have easily become disoriented and cold, if she had continued to drink.

The Disappeared show was re-run tonight.

Couldn't alcohol, being a depressant, contribute to hypothermia? And disorientation?

I still can't see why Maura would turn down help from the bus driver but get in a car with a stranger. Makes no sense. but it wouldn't be the first time someone made a stupid choice and ended up a crime victim. but the scent had to stop for a reason, and a ride is the most sensible explanation.

What if she accepted a ride from a woman? Or a couple? Or someone in a police car?

The Disappeared show was re-run tonight.

Couldn't alcohol, being a depressant, contribute to hypothermia? And disorientation?

I still can't see why Maura would turn down help from the bus driver but get in a car with a stranger. Makes no sense. but it wouldn't be the first time someone made a stupid choice and ended up a crime victim. but the scent had to stop for a reason, and a ride is the most sensible explanation.

What if she accepted a ride from a woman? Or a couple? Or someone in a police car?

Atwood the bus driver may have seemed scary to her. He was a big guy and almost 3 times her age. He looked like a burly cave man. She was still shaken up when Atwood arrived on the scene as well. I'm thinking she may have accepted a ride after coming to terms with her dilemma (can't get a call out). The person, she may have accepted a ride from, could have seemed friendly and nonthreatening to her. Although, she could have also threw caution to the wind, because she wanted to get away from the accident scene.

Yes, alcohol can contribute to hypothermia. Since it was dark and cold, I believe the alcohol could also contribute to a feeling of disorientation too.

There are some many possible scenarios in this case. She could have even walked up to someone's house or someone drove her to their home to let her use their phone.

She could have also been offered a ride by a couple, or a woman. We don't know that if she met with foul play, it was at the hands of a person or persons who picked her up.

This is such a perplexing mystery. It has occupied my thoughts on and off since I discovered this forum back in Feb. I have read and re-read every thread so many times. I have scoured web sites to learn all I can. One question that I can't seem to gain any insight into is what was the NH state trooper's role at the accident site that night. What (if anything) did he file in his report? I have read that he was at the scene for about 2 hours - (or that there were 2 hours between his radio contacts back to the dispatcher once he reported to the site). Seems to me that his initial investigation that night would shed great light and possibly answer many of our questions. Does anyone have knowledge into his report that he filed that night from his time at the scene?

I was under the impression this case was solved and so was surprised to see it showcased on the TV show Disappeared. This case has an obvious elephant in the room but people seem to be vilified if they mention it.

Maura was not on her way home from college and had car trouble along the way. Maura was up to something.

Maura would have understood winter driving, winter weather, and the related dangers. Who doesn't cringe at the thought of car trouble on a winter trip especially if you are traveling alone or are driving through remote areas.

Maura had car troubles and luckily for her help is right there.

Within minutes of having an airbag explode in her face, Maura is refusing help, fleeing the safety of her car, and apparently not heading in a direction she could get different help. This behavior is beyond serious.

I assume the girl the contractor saw that night was Maura which means she was continuing on her trip and she must have been really moving. Which means working up a good sweat. I don't know how she would have kept warm once she stopped moving.

Sure she could have been grabbed off the road but that seems like quite a stretch. Most likely she reached an area where she wanted to go or at some point she just retreated into the woods and hunkered down. A girl as strong as her could have gone a long way that night.

Hi Albert18, you referenced the elephant in the room, but didn't name it. In your opinion, what is it? Just curious, and thanks.

There were several "high profile" disapperances of young women in New England at the time and Maura's case was quickley "lumped" with them. A little background on Maura reveals that she was taking "time off" to do some serious drinking by herself. She also had a book in her pocession that described situations where people died of exposure in the harsh New England weather. To me the obvious "elephant in the room" was the possibility that she was suicidal.

I agree, Kemo. All that alcohol in the car, all the secrecy, the lies, the depression, the odd behavior, none of this adds up to a young person in a stable, functional mental state. What have we not been told throughout the years, what has been kept hidden?

There were several "high profile" disapperances of young women in New England at the time and Maura's case was quickley "lumped" with them. A little background on Maura reveals that she was taking "time off" to do some serious drinking by herself. She also had a book in her pocession that described situations where people died of exposure in the harsh New England weather. To me the obvious "elephant in the room" was the possibility that she was suicidal.

There were only two other disappearances in that area, of young women that I was aware of. One if you discount the girl that was found to have run away to Florida because of pending charges, only to return several months later. The only other was Brianna and there are things in her past that might appear to possibly explain her disappearance.

Suicide has always been a possibility and the police even refer to Fred making the comment, "I hope she didn't do an old squaw walk" or word to that effect. I don't find the "evidence" of the book that compelling having read that book before Maura's disappearance. Her possible state of mind, and her single mindedness to get away may have pointed to suicide or caused her death as an accident. For whatever reason her desire to get away, even from the crash scene, seemed to be very highly motivated.

Until she shows up, there are far too many questions with no real hints. If she shows up, just finding out her final location we might be able to figure out more.

Bill

There were only two other disappearances in that area, of young women that I was aware of. One if you discount the girl that was found to have run away to Florida because of pending charges, only to return several months later. ...

Bill

Are you referring to Laura Mc. of Goffstown? If so, that isn't anywhere near the Woodsville area. If not, then who? Are you talking about the rarely mentioned teen girl "Dionne", an alleged runaway? I've only heard her name once from LE and have seen her surname in print once and regrettably can't remember it. I can't find any links about her on the internet. Do any Websleuthers have more info about her?

Are you referring to Laura Mc. of Goffstown? If so, that isn't anywhere near the Woodsville area. If not, then who? Are you talking about the rarely mentioned teen girl "Dionne", an alleged runaway? I've only heard her name once from LE and have seen her surname in print once and regrettably can't remember it. I can't find any links about her on the internet. Do any Websleuthers have more info about her?

Yep, that was her. I didn't say from that same town. I was talking about girls missing about the same age from NH or VT during the same time frame. There were many people on some of the forums that were convinced that the same serial killer was grabbing all of these girls.

I don't remember anyone named Dionne off the top of my head.

Bill

This is such a perplexing mystery. It has occupied my thoughts on and off since I discovered this forum back in Feb. I have read and re-read every thread so many times. I have scoured web sites to learn all I can. One question that I can't seem to gain any insight into is what was the NH state trooper's role at the accident site that night. What (if anything) did he file in his report? I have read that he was at the scene for about 2 hours - (or that there were 2 hours between his radio contacts back to the dispatcher once he reported to the site). Seems to me that his initial investigation that night would shed great light and possibly answer many of our questions. Does anyone have knowledge into his report that he filed that night from his time at the scene?

Nona,
I was affected quite similarly by this case. I actually discovered Websleuths after watching MM's Disappeared episode on ID. I read in an old topix forum a little discussion about the state trooper, but nothing that was helpful. I believe the key to this lies in the sealed police records that the courts refuse to release. It would be very interesting to see the depths of that file.

I live in New England and have followed this case since the beginning. I can honestly say that I have no idea what could have happened to Maura. Many scenarios yes, but which one? It just amazes me that people can just disappear into thin air. There is one thing I can not seem to remember and that is was a physic ever called in?

I can only hope that someday we find out what happened to her. So very sad.

I live in New England and have followed this case since the beginning. I can honestly say that I have no idea what could have happened to Maura. Many scenarios yes, but which one? It just amazes me that people can just disappear into thin air. There is one thing I can not seem to remember and that is was a physic ever called in?

I can only hope that someday we find out what happened to her. So very sad.

There was at least one psychic that offered an unsolicited guess as I remember. From what I remember it was dismissed by the family for what it was.

Bill

I think she was emotional--not suicidal. I think her original intent was to spend alone time in NH, but the second accident messed up her plans. In other words, I feel she didn't go to NH with the intent of committing suicide. However, she may have felt suicidal after her accident there.

I've read this thread on Maura in depth since discovering this site recently, and like many of you, I have absolutely no hunch what happened to her that fateful night. But I am left wondering one thing. Perhaps it was addressed in one of the articles in the threads and I missed it? Since Maura had her cellphone, did any agency try to track the signal, thereby distinguising her location? I imagine this has been addressed already, for sure. Perhaps her battery died early on and they were unable to track her?
This is one of the cases that simply haunts me. I went to Umass Amherst as well and lived in the dorm she worked in for a time. It's all so sad and mysterious.

I've read this thread on Maura in depth since discovering this site recently, and like many of you, I have absolutely no hunch what happened to her that fateful night. But I am left wondering one thing. Perhaps it was addressed in one of the articles in the threads and I missed it? Since Maura had her cellphone, did any agency try to track the signal, thereby distinguising her location? I imagine this has been addressed already, for sure. Perhaps her battery died early on and they were unable to track her?
This is one of the cases that simply haunts me. I went to Umass Amherst as well and lived in the dorm she worked in for a time. It's all so sad and mysterious.

I don't think she was able to get a call out at all. She had no signal to get a call out. Also, cell phone signals bouncing off a tower can only suggest a general area (several square miles radius from tower) of location. This is not precise enough to find a missing person's exact location. It is not like GPS, which is very precise. As far as I know, she was not successful at calling anyone that night from NH. This is according to her phone records.

I did read that there was a call to her phone that bounced off the Londonderry tower in NH. I don't know anything further though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper