NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a good point .If that lady that says she seen maura in a store mouthing the words Help Me why the heck didn't she help her ..

I believe she had a regular phone service for her cell. If I recall correctly, her boyfriend's mother paid the bill. I think she had used calling cards in the past, but she didn't need to use them anymore because she had a regular phone service provider (I think it was Sprint).

It was Sprint. I can confirm, because that came up when I was searching for the phone to buy when I tested the "red light." (Pictures earlier this thread.)

I've asked the question if she might have access to a flashlight from her car, but no one knows.. with a light she might have been able to run...

We don't know how accurate the neighbor, Rick's description was when he supposedly saw her running, but I don't think he mentioned a flashlight.

We don't know how accurate the neighbor, Rick's description was when he supposedly saw her running, but I don't think he mentioned a flashlight.

Oldsteve and I have been on this forum for a long time and we both have wondered if Maura had a flashlightt that night. We know her father made an emergency kit for her, but there has been nothing about a flashlight being missing from that kit. i think it would have made a big difference on her getting around that night. Otherwise, she was out in the the pitch dark blackness--- feeling her way around. There are few light poles in that area, which is why an accident is on my list of possible scenarios in her disappearance.

Oldsteve and I have been on this forum for a long time and we both have wondered if Maura had a flashlightt that night. We know her father made an emergency kit for her, but there has been nothing about a flashlight being missing from that kit. i think it would have made a big difference on her getting around that night. Otherwise, she was out in the the pitch dark blackness--- feeling her way around. There are few light poles in that area, which is why an accident is on my list of possible scenarios in her disappearance.

She also had her phone. If it was charged, it would provide her light for some time. A phone isn't as good as a flashlight, but it's better than pitch darkness.

Do they do survival training at West Point? If they do, would Maura have received that training during her time there, or do they conduct it for upperclassmen?

She also had her phone. If it was charged, it would provide her light for some time. A phone isn't as good as a flashlight, but it's better than pitch darkness.

Do they do survival training at West Point? If they do, would Maura have received that training during her time there, or do they conduct it for upperclassmen?

The use of a cell phone as a light source has occurred to me too and she could have used it when desperate, especially when trying to read a sign. I don't know if she had survival training, but most likely she did receive some basics. I had a sister, who attended the the Coast Guard Academy, and IIRC, she was taught some of the basics. The first year is the toughest, so if Maura passed through that year, she must have learned a few things.

Not enough light from a cellphone for running IMO..

I would think if she was running with a flashlight, she's turn it off when she saw a vehicle approaching, so as not to stand out... it's a kind of natural reaction when running at night to keep a low profile... Might even retract it so it doesn't show since could used to clunk someone by surprise if they came at you..

We don't know if her emergency kit even had a flashlight... assuming it would, but ?

i have followed this case on and off so I don't know all the ends and out of it. however I don't think that she was going to meet up with another guy I just don't think there would be anyway to hide ALL possible evidence of it I also don't know that I believe she got lost in the woods either in this day an age anything is possible and not much truly shocks me anymore I just wish that someone someone could find some answers

I don't think you could hide every shred of evidence either. Also, if she were running off with a guy, wouldn't that meant that some guy has also been missing for almost 10 years? Would they really be living in plain sight in front of this guy's family and friends? Even if she changed her name, etc., people would be wondering about her friends and family and where she came from. If she and a guy were hiding out together that means some guy probably hasn't had contact with his own friends or family for 10 years.

Seems like she at least opened the emergency kit because I think that's where the rag she stuffed in the tailpipe came from according to Fred (I think).

Seems like she at least opened the emergency kit because I think that's where the rag she stuffed in the tailpipe came from according to Fred (I think).

You are correct and if memory serves me, Fred was at least aware of the reg rag in the kit... Yet, try as might, McSpy and I have never been able to get question about there having been a flashlight in the kit, and if was still there or not, answered.

Even if not to used the flashlight to run with, it would be something to have taken out if only for a bit of protection as a club of sort... I wonder what else might she have had in that kit... my wife always kept a knife in hers for protection...

FYI, the Keyes cabin is in Constable, NY, two states and about four hours away.

I don't know, that seems close enough to me. That guy would drive all over country looking for victims. I can't find anything that says he is absolutely ruled out. It's probably grasping at straws, but I would love to know his exact location around the time of the crash. I'm sure all LE has to do is see if there are any electronic records from that time, but I can't find anything that's been reported.

Not enough light from a cellphone for running IMO..

I would think if she was running with a flashlight, she's turn it off when she saw a vehicle approaching, so as not to stand out... it's a kind of natural reaction when running at night to keep a low profile... Might even retract it so it doesn't show since could used to clunk someone by surprise if they came at you..

We don't know if her emergency kit even had a flashlight... assuming it would, but ?

You're right, a cell phone isn't good light for running. It's decent for walking, though or reading signs as McSpy suggested. How long would Maura have been running before she started walking again? We can only guess, but I don't think it would be very long, unless she was being chased or had a destination in mind. A turn around the corner and moving off the road a bit if she heard a car and she could avoid the police pretty easily at first, if her goal was to avoid getting in trouble for the crash and possible drinking.

We don't really know what she had at her disposal for survival, it could have ranged from nothing to quite a bit. On my keychain alone I have a can opener, multi-tool (a couple screw drivers, mini pry bar, bottle opener, etc.), and a small button flashlight. I typically also have my cell phone, a pocket knife, and a water bottle at all times. If her time at West Point or previous camping/hiking experience imparted any preparedness mentality at all, she might have been similarly equipped - or she could have had a thin jacket and a backpack full of booze.

Personally, I doubt that Maura had "survival!" in her mind that night. If you have ever blown a tire or broken down usually you think to yourself, "CRAP! well, I will get a few things (water, cell phone, jacket) and walk to the nearest gas station/town". She probably thought she could make good time by running and only brought the bare essentials with her- she probably didn't think to arm herself with anything for protection. She probably also didn't consider the temperature that night as well. jmo

I don't think you could hide every shred of evidence either. Also, if she were running off with a guy, wouldn't that meant that some guy has also been missing for almost 10 years? Would they really be living in plain sight in front of this guy's family and friends? Even if she changed her name, etc., people would be wondering about her friends and family and where she came from. If she and a guy were hiding out together that means some guy probably hasn't had contact with his own friends or family for 10 years.

I don't exactly believe another guy was involved but if it were true it doesn't mean the guy would be missing also. There could be no family to report this person missing or to question MM's origins. If they fled to another country it would be very easy to lie about her lack of family contact. We also don't know for sure she is not in contact with someone in her family. Perhaps the reasons she left makes it easy for a single family member to keep quiet.

I don't exactly believe another guy was involved but if it were true it doesn't mean the guy would be missing also. There could be no family to report this person missing or to question MM's origins. If they fled to another country it would be very easy to lie about her lack of family contact. We also don't know for sure she is not in contact with someone in her family. Perhaps the reasons she left makes it easy for a single family member to keep quiet.

Anything is possible, but the person keeping the secret would have to be pretty heartless. I couldn't keep the secret, while watching my family members suffer with not knowing whether their loved one is alive or dead. It is a lot to ask of someone to keep such a secret.

If Maura just vanished one day from home, I would be more likely to think she ran off with someone. But what happened with the accident and driving up to NH seems unplanned, and any decisions made after that accident probably pretty spur of the moment.

Anything is possible, but the person keeping the secret would have to be pretty heartless. I couldn't keep the secret, while watching my family members suffer with not knowing whether their loved one is alive or dead. It is a lot to ask of someone to keep such a secret.

And referring to them as 'heartless' only adds to that burden. IF MM left intentionally, IF she is alive and well somewhere, then there must have been a compelling reason to do so. IF additionally some or all members of her family are not told then there must be a compelling reason for that also. Yes it does seem a lot to ask of someone but if it's for MM's safety or sanity, it's not heartless at all. There would have to be a reason if not telling is the better option.

I haven't followed his case as closley as some, however, based on what I have read here I am of the opinion that Maura was on a suicide mission. I think she was severely depressed and maybe using alcohol to self medicate. IMO she had a drinking problem and felt her life was falling apart. I think she wanted to rent a place in a remote location that had special meaning to her and commit suicide there. Maybe she planned to drink herself to death or take pills. If she had done this in her dorm then she would risk being found and taken to the hospital.

When the second accident happened I think she panicked that it would derail her plan. I think she committed suicide or froze to death but just hasn't been found yet. She may have walked to a remote area where she thought she wouldn't be found.

And referring to them as 'heartless' only adds to that burden. IF MM left intentionally, IF she is alive and well somewhere, then there must have been a compelling reason to do so. IF additionally some or all members of her family are not told then there must be a compelling reason for that also. Yes it does seem a lot to ask of someone but if it's for MM's safety or sanity, it's not heartless at all. There would have to be a reason if not telling is the better option.

I disagree about the "heartless" thing. People move away from home all the time and cut ties without involving the police and cold case detectives. Why not write a letter saying that she is fine and for them to stop searching? Very simple. The family just wants answers. At this point, I'm sure they would be relieved to know something.

I don't know anything for sure, but supposedly, she was fine when she was at the pub with her friend and father. After wrecking her father's car, she lost it, IMO. Makes me think she was upset with herself--not with anyone else in particular, so she ran off to sort things out. She probably had issues in the back of her mind (eating disorder running her life, cc fraud guilt and ???) that bothered her greatly. She may have felt like a big loser under the surface. IMO, the catalyst or last straw was when she wrecked her dad's brand new car. I don't think she planned to disappear. It just ended up that way. I could be wrong, but I'm going with a gut feeling at this point.

There have been reports that her dad was hard on her. He wanted her to be successful. Most of the time, there is another side to that too. He was probably her biggest cheerleader and fan when she was successful. Most kids glow when their parents are proud. I have a feeling she didn't like disappointing her dad and crashing his car amongst other things, made her feel awful.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member