Identified! NJ - Blairstown, Cedar Ridge Cemetery, 'Princess Doe', WhtFem 14-18, 36UFNJ, peacock skirt, Jul'82 - Dawn Olanick *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinlaw is currently serving a life sentence in New York for killing a different unidentified woman, found in the East River in 1984. He and his wife ran a prostitution ring in the Bronx.

Kinlaw has been charged with first-degree murder in Warren County.

Investigators said the case remains open, and is asking anyone with information to contact them.

She was asked to leave home in 1982 and found in July of that same year. I'm guessing it was at least springtime when she was asked to leave... so imo she didn't live long after leaving home. I am curious as to why she was "asked to leave". I really don't have any right to know, but curious nonetheless. I wish things had worked out differently for her.
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. Part of me agrees with you about having no right to know why she was asked to leave or why in 40 years no one reported her missing. Did the family know about a girl found murdered less than 100 miles away that was the same age as the daughter that left home a few weeks earlier ( seems she graduated high school so I assume she was still at home in the first half of June)? Did they bother to contact anyone if they did know the story of Princess Doe? Maybe we do deserve to know because maybe folks on this site and others like it cared a lot more about Dawn than her family seems to have. Just my opinion, I can't help getting my temper raised.

She was not from Arizona, Florida, the Midwest or Long Island. Her father was no dentist and she was no sex worker. Once again a rebellious teen running away from home and meeting the wrong people.

I hope they have a good lead regarding the Kinlaws. Dawn needs justice.
It is 40 years almost to the day. I am happy she is home.

Sketches of princess doe

Sketches and computer models over the years tried to show what Princess Doe may have looked like, in the hopes that someone would come forward with more information.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. Part of me agrees with you about having no right to know why she was asked to leave or why in 40 years no one reported her missing. Did the family know about a girl found murdered less than 100 miles away that was the same age as the daughter that left home a few weeks earlier ( seems she graduated high school so I assume she was still at home in the first half of June)? Did they bother to contact anyone if they did know the story of Princess Doe? Maybe we do deserve to know because maybe folks on this site and others like it cared a lot more about Dawn than her family seems to have. Just my opinion, I can't help getting my temper raised.

Well before social media, UID cases often never made it out of their county or even city. And LE routinely didnt put a lot of effort into "runaways". Many families reported missing teens but LE never pursued the case.
You absolutely cannot blame the family.

Sketches of princess doe

Sketches and computer models over the years tried to show what Princess Doe may have looked like, in the hopes that someone would come forward with more information.
The recons hardly look like her. It is heartbreaking how disfigured she must have been so that no accurate recon could have been made.
She had her hair in a bun and the weather was humid, her hair was probably full with blood, so nobody could see the hair was dark and curly.

Just to clarify, Dawn was kicked out by her mom, she didn't run away.
I think it is the same from both angles. Teen rebels and mom kicks her out and teen happily leaves.
I studied with a girl who was kicked out at 18 by her mom because they couldnt get along. Daughter was super happy to be independent and left for a different town. Not uncommon.

1657905877136.jpeg1657905906481.jpeg1657905960438.jpeg
Photo: The clothing worn by Princess Doe at the time of the discovery of her body.
1657906023991.jpeg

The Warren County police department pieced together some more facts about the anonymous young girl. They learned that Princess Doe was probably a runaway, who, in the years before her death, may have worked as a hotel housekeeper under several aliases. These tips came from a detective not in New Jersey, but rather Ocean City, Maryland, a beach community with many inexpensive motels for seasonal visitors. Leads sent the New Jersey police south to the city where they have found up to six people alleging to have information about Princess Doe’s true identity. Now after 30 years new evidence has begun to surface in the case leading police to believe that Princess Doe was from Long Island and was murdered by a pimp for refusing to take part in his prostitution ring.

Read the witness testimony and about about the new DNA testing being performed in an attempt to finally lay this unsolved case, and Princess Doe, to rest:Identifying Princess Doe: 30 Years After She Was Slain, New Technology May ID Her and The Killer.

I think it is the same from both angles. Teen rebels and mom kicks her out and teen happily leaves.
I studied with a girl who was kicked out at 18 by her mom because they couldnt get along. Daughter was super happy to be independent and left for a different town. Not uncommon.

IDK...it seems that Dawn was kicked out, probably after graduating high school, and left to fend for herself. Nothing to indicate she was rebellious and wanted to be on her own. Arthur Kinlaw seems to have killed her because she wouldn't be a prostitute for him. I don't think she wanted to leave. JMO

Mr. Carbuff is from Queens, which is kind of Long Island Light. He says the rest of the world barely exists from there--even Manhattan is a rumor. New Jersey is just someplace you drive through on the way to the Poconos or Florida; it's unlikely the news ever went through.

While sometimes what you say may be true, there's nothing to indicate that it's true in this case. Regardless of rebelliousness, not being welcome to come home again makes a huge difference.

Well before social media, UID cases often never made it out of their county or even city. And LE routinely didnt put a lot of effort into "runaways". Many families reported missing teens but LE never pursued the case.
You absolutely cannot blame the family.
1) I agree with you on law enforcement. But I am not in the mood to give the family a free pass on this yet. I heard about Princess Doe in probably 2003 in Virginia and have followed ever since. I have also developed two issues One being obviously shoddy police work and two being seemingly no effort by the family. Maybe I will be proved wrong. I am not blaming the family for her death but I do question there hearts.
2.) Common does not necessarily equal right.

My heart is so happy today... Thank you Eric Krantz for all of your dedication to this case. You can now close this chapter in your career, job well done. Thank you WCPO James Pfeiffer for pledging to make identifying Princess Doe (and Tiger Lady) a priority during your tenure. As a resident of Warren County, just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who worked this case, who visited Princess Doe, and who dedicated time and energy into giving back her name..

Last edited:
She was from Long Island not far from my hometown and right around my age. Back then lots of young people had their own apartments, and all my friends wore those Indian wrap skirts
The Princess Doe story was on Unsolved Mysteries decades ago and her case has always been very well documented. I cannot believe her relatives or HS friends didn't recognize her earlier. Poor kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne