NJ NJ- Christopher Thomas, 16, Honor Student, Randomly Shot by Stranger w. 'Rocky H P Show Makeup', Rockaway Townsquare Mall, 1 Oct '82, *New Initiative*

''Oct 4, 2022
October 1st marked forty years since Christopher Thomas was fatally shot at the Rockaway Mall. This past Saturday, the Thomas family & friends, the Morris Catholic High School community, and Morris County Law Enforcement, gathered in remembrance of Christopher. An increase to the reward for information helping solve this crime was also announced. ''

I read that most murders trace back to greed ( Robbery), jealousy or vengeance. I suppose one might at a purely random act to that list however, I wonder how many times something can be considered truly random? I think robbery is out as a motive and with that are most of the options for this being a random attack. Jealousy and vengeance would indicate that the killer knew, in some aspect, the victim. The only other thing that makes sense is that the perpetrator was set off by something. Maybe he saw the girl that Christopher was with and became overcome by jealousy etc. This, to me, indicates someone unhinged. I wonder if LE has a good idea who did this but never enough evidence to bring charges? I wonder if they recovered a bullet or shell casing? I did not see what type/caliber of gun was used. I assume that if there was anything to test, LE did so.

It seems significant that the murderer was dressed in Rocky Horror makeup and that there was a Rocky Horror movie showing later that night. That would seem to indicate the that the murder was spur of the moment and that the killer had actually intended on watching a movie later on.

I wonder if there was any sort of verbal exchange between the victim and the killer that hasn’t been properly reported on - ‘nice makeup, f—‘ or whatever - and that triggered the murder.

Seems incredible this killer hasn’t been caught given the amount of eyewitnesses.

It seems significant that the murderer was dressed in Rocky Horror makeup and that there was a Rocky Horror movie showing later that night. That would seem to indicate the that the murder was spur of the moment and that the killer had actually intended on watching a movie later on.

I wonder if there was any sort of verbal exchange between the victim and the killer that hasn’t been properly reported on - ‘nice makeup, f—‘ or whatever - and that triggered the murder.

Seems incredible this killer hasn’t been caught given the amount of eyewitnesses.
Did the perp have makeup on? I thought he might have a possible wig was the connection.
I remember the crowd change at 9:30-10:00 pm at the entrance was a shift of all the young teens getting picked up by their parents and the older crowd moved in. The older crowd having pre-partied, took over the entranceway and a long sidewalk and low wall people sat on. I believe it very likely that at that point it could have only have taken a bump perceived as a shove.

Did the perp have makeup on? I thought he might have a possible wig was the connection.
I remember the crowd change at 9:30-10:00 pm at the entrance was a shift of all the young teens getting picked up by their parents and the older crowd moved in. The older crowd having pre-partied, took over the entranceway and a long sidewalk and low wall people sat on. I believe it very likely that at that point it could have only have taken a bump perceived as a shove.

The reference to the makeup is in the first post of the thread (and the thread title).

Per the bolded, yeah. There don't seem to be any reports of a verbal/physical confrontation leading to this but I struggle to believe that wasn't the case. This feels more like a 'road rage' sort of crime (sans cars) than it does a premeditated killing.

rbbm
''Mark Thomas said his brother went there to buy an anniversary gift for his parents before taking in a movie. But as the couple approached the entrance, they encountered another person, who was leaning against a wall outside.
As they passed by, according to the police report, "the male suspect walked up behind them and pushed [Thomas'] companion aside. The victim turned so that he was now facing the parking lot (east), and the offender pointed a handgun at the victim’s chest. The victim backed up against the wall with his hands raised and the offender fired once into his chest
. No words were exchanged between the victim and the suspect."
''Gannon added the suspect may have been wearing makeup consistent with the "Rocky Horror Picture Show," scheduled for a late screening at the multiplex that night.''
1716403299980.png
'Investigators do not believe Christopher was targeted in the apparent random attack, said Morris County Prosecutor Robert Carroll. The individual who shot him is likely still living in the Morris County community, Carroll added.'
'Officials said the man who shot Christopher Thomas had a thin build, a slight, dark mustache, and shoulder-length dark hair parted in the middle. He wore a blue coat and mirrored glasses, officials added.'
rbbm
"Investigators are reviewing and retesting evidence, including items found at the crime scene. Technology not available at the time of this crime has allowed us to develop new investigative leads."

OK. I read it as MAY have. I assumed it was about the movie, but also written to so that people wouldn't assume any particular ethnicity as the area was diverse.

I would assume the female companion was questioned ( not as a suspect). My consistent thought is that, if this was a completely random event, the shooter would have been arrested on something else over the years and would have told someone. I wonder if this was an act of jealousy. Perhaps someone that had been stalking the female companion, whether known or unknown to her? I wonder if LE investigated anyone that may have had some obsession with her. Maybe someone whom knew she would be out with the victim at the mall that night?

I doubt wholeheartedly that it was an act of jealousy, they were just young kids at the time. She was definitely interviewed at the time of the incident. I feel terrible that she has had to live with what happened that night her entire life without resolution.

I doubt wholeheartedly that it was an act of jealousy, they were just young kids at the time. She was definitely interviewed at the time of the incident. I feel terrible that she has had to live with what happened that night her entire life without resolution.
I agree that she was interviewed. Also, I agree that it must be terrible having to live with this, probably wondering the same things I did in the previous post. Jealousy just makes more sense to me than a completely random act. I suppose it could be a combination of the two.

What if it wasn't jealousy or a confrontation but an act of misidentification? What if Thomas looked like someone else and the perpetrator made a mistake. I remember this case when it first happened and have always wondered the "why".

What if it wasn't jealousy or a confrontation but an act of misidentification? What if Thomas looked like someone else and the perpetrator made a mistake. I remember this case when it first happened and have always wondered the "why".
That is a possibility that I had not considered.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohthatmakessense
Back