NJ- Columbus Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau, 31, & brother, Matthew, 29, ret. pro. hockey player, hit & killed by DUI driver, 29/8/24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rbbm
''Judge Michael Silvanio rescheduled the case for Sept. 13, when attorneys will present the judge with additional documentation related to whether Higgins should remain in jail. New Jersey does not use a cash bail system like the system used in Ohio.''

If he is sentenced to 20 years, he will serve a minimum of 6.5 years. It sounds like he thinks he deserves a pass for killing two cyclists on the basis that he was drunk. Canadians will be watching how this unfolds.

"Generally speaking, vehicular homicide is a crime of the second degree. Similar offenses include aggravated assault, robbery and manslaughter. These second degree crimes are subject to a penalty of five to ten years in state prison and a fine of up to $150,000.

When alcohol or drugs are involved, vehicular homicide may be charged as a first degree crime which means it can carry much stiffer penalties. First degree crimes in New Jersey come with prison sentences of 10 to 20 years and fines of up to $200,000. Minimum sentences are imposed for DWI vehicular homicide. Convicted defendants are required to serve at least one third of their sentences, or three years, whichever is greater, without the possibility of parole."

1725547616004.png

If he is sentenced to 20 years, he will serve a minimum of 6.5 years. It sounds like he thinks he deserves a pass for killing two cyclists on the basis that he was drunk. Canadians will be watching how this unfolds.

"Generally speaking, vehicular homicide is a crime of the second degree. Similar offenses include aggravated assault, robbery and manslaughter. These second degree crimes are subject to a penalty of five to ten years in state prison and a fine of up to $150,000.

When alcohol or drugs are involved, vehicular homicide may be charged as a first degree crime which means it can carry much stiffer penalties. First degree crimes in New Jersey come with prison sentences of 10 to 20 years and fines of up to $200,000. Minimum sentences are imposed for DWI vehicular homicide. Convicted defendants are required to serve at least one third of their sentences, or three years, whichever is greater, without the possibility of parole."

View attachment 529181
Thank you for clarification of the law!!! it is very helpful---- this is such a sad and tragic case- both brothers killed and a pregnant wife left behind as well. Senseless as well and an apparent remorseless defendant!

Speeding and drunk driving in the past, and no consequence.

"According to published reports, Sean Higgins had at least two prior charges in North Carolina that were ultimately dismissed.

The published report indicates Higgins was charged with a DUI in 2005, but escaped conviction because the arresting officer didn't show up.

The report also reflects that Higgins received a speeding ticket in 2001 that was dismissed due to Higgins' relatively clean driving history at the time.

A separate published report noted that Higgins held a position with the New Jersey Army National Guard."

When this man is sentenced, the judge should take into consideration not only the two free passes he had in the past for drunk driving and speeding, but also his attitude after killing two cyclists while drunk. Two people were dead, killed at the scene, and he was upset about spending time in jail over the long weekend.

I wonder whether he thought he could keep it quiet from his job, or friends and family. My impression is that he didn't have any sense of what he did.

"The brothers died at the scene. Higgins was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and has been charged with two counts of death by auto.

During his initial virtual court appearance last Friday, Higgins looked dejected when a judge told him he was going to be spending the weekend behind bars.

“So … I’m here until Thursday?” an exasperated Higgins asked Silvanio when he learned he would be held in jail over the long weekend."

When this man is sentenced, the judge should take into consideration not only the two free passes he had in the past for drunk driving and speeding, but also his attitude after killing two cyclists while drunk. Two people were dead, killed at the scene, and he was upset about spending time in jail over the long weekend.

I wonder whether he thought he could keep it quiet from his job, or friends and family. My impression is that he didn't have any sense of what he did.

"The brothers died at the scene. Higgins was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and has been charged with two counts of death by auto.

During his initial virtual court appearance last Friday, Higgins looked dejected when a judge told him he was going to be spending the weekend behind bars.

“So … I’m here until Thursday?” an exasperated Higgins asked Silvanio when he learned he would be held in jail over the long weekend."

Thank you for keeping us apprised of the developments of this case and this man's history. Hoping for a just sentence in this case, but I am also ready to be disappointed. What is most troublesome is the apparent lack of remorse by this defendant.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tawnitrevino
Back