NJ NJ - Donald Caldwell, 12, Bass River State Forest, 3 April 1972 *ran away with found deceased in 2000*

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
Two orphan boys run away in 1972, one was found deceased in 2000, the other remains missing.

In April 1972 an orphanage went on a camping trip in the Bass River State Forest in Burlington/Ocean county, New Jersey. It was a week long trip with 16 plus children and four adults. On the night of April 3rd, 12 year old Donald Caldwell and 16 year old Steven Soden ran away and were never seen again. Soden's bones were found in 2000 in the same forest he went missing from. He was identified in 2013 after his family saw a public appeal on identifying John Wayne Gacy victims and submitted their DNA. He ended up not matching any unidentified Gacy victims ;however, but was identified after his DNA was entered into a national database. His cause of death could not be determined as only partial skeletal remains were found.

Donald Caldwell does not have a photo. He was 12 years old (placing his birth year as 1959-1960), African American, black hair, brown eyes, 5'0 tall, and 100 lbs. (NamUs lists his height and weight as approximations.)

Bass River State Forest is located in Tuckerton, NJ and is in both Burlington and Ocean counties (To clear up the differences in articles and his NamUs profile).

The orphanage they were with was from Paterson, NJ, which according to Google maps, is approximately an hour and 30 minutes from Tuckerton.

State Police detectives are asking the public’s assistance with any information about Donald Caldwell, Steve Soden and the Paterson Orphanage group. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-THE-LOST.

N.J. State Police link bones with 16-year-old boy who went missing in 1972
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Authorities ID Bones of NJ Teen Who Went Missing in 1972
Bones Identified as NJ Boy Missing Since 1972

"Is Caldwell still alive somewhere or did both boys die? Were they the victims of foul play? Of an accident or an animal attack? Or did they just get lost and die of hunger or exposure?

Bass River State Forest covers 23,563 acres, and it’s not likely two boys from urban Paterson had the wilderness skills to survive in that vastness. We don’t know if they even had a compass. And early-April weather can be unforgiving if you’re not equipped to deal with it."

Thoughts & Views: Still seeking answers, 4 decades later

Glad to see that the remains of one of the boys had been found and finally identified. Hopefully, Donald's whereabouts can also be found so that this case can be closed. It has been too long already.
It's sad to know that there are so many remains that are unidentified and just waiting for the right DNA to show up. Not saying for sure that that applies to Donald but hoping for some answers.
Some children are not orphans but may have had a troubled home life. Surely the orphanage would have records on his admittance that may have more information. Did any of Donald's relatives submit a DNA sample? If unknown, perhaps a search through ancestry using his name would give LE some help on locating a family member?

I found a case from the Doe Network where only a femur was found. It was in Ocean County, the same county as Bass River State Forest.

CASE NUMBER - 2112UMNJ

Found in 2002, no estimated date of death is known. The age range is 18-39 years old; however, age ranges have and can be wrong. But could a 12 year femur be mistaken as an adults? Could a pre-teen just have long legs and still be estimated 5'0? Could his estimates have been wrong also?

Palmyra NJ is also in both Burlington and Ocean counties and according to Google maps is about an hour away from Bass River State Forest. Did Donald make it a little bit farther than Steven?

The case file also doesn't state how or where the bone was found. Only mentions the county and town. Same county Donald went missing from. (Burlington county via articles and Ocean county via NamUs just to clarify).

2112UMNJ - Unidentified Male
No_Image_Available_male.jpg

Date of Discovery: October 19, 2002
Location of Discovery: Palmyra, Ocean County, New Jersey
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18 - 39 years old
Race: Black
Height: 5'5" - 5'8"
Weight: 130 - 170 pounds
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's left femur was recovered in Palmyra, Ocean County, New Jersey.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: New Jersey State Police
Agency Phone Number: 800-709-7090
Agency E-Mail: missingp@gw.njsp.org
Agency Case Number: A180200200058

Agency Name: Ocean County Medical Examiners Office
Agency Phone Number: 732-341-3424
Agency Case Number: 15021383

Agency Name: New Jersey State Police, Atlantic City
Agency Phone Number: 609-441-3586
Agency Case Number: A180200200058

NCIC Case Number: U810003395
NamUs Case Number: 1760
Former Hot Case Number: 1114

Glad to see that the remains of one of the boys had been found and finally identified. Hopefully, Donald's whereabouts can also be found so that this case can be closed. It has been too long already.
It's sad to know that there are so many remains that are unidentified and just waiting for the right DNA to show up. Not saying for sure that that applies to Donald but hoping for some answers.
Some children are not orphans but may have had a troubled home life. Surely the orphanage would have records on his admittance that may have more information. Did any of Donald's relatives submit a DNA sample? If unknown, perhaps a search through ancestry using his name would give LE some help on locating a family member?
I agree about orphans. Being an orphan doesn't necessarily mean having no family or that both parents are deceased. It could be a family falling on rough times that couldn't provide for their children or are very sadly otherwise unwanted by their families. I remember learning about orphan trains from the early 20th century. A good number of those children had families.

Unfortuately I don't know if the orphanage even alerted family of their disappearances. Steven Soden's older half-brother was trying to get him and his younger sister out of the orphanage to live with him in Washington, but he was in the army so it took some time. He wasn't aware Steven was missing until a year later when he was ready for them. And there is also the fact Donald doesn't have a picture. You'd think they'd at least have a group photo they could zoom in and crop. Chances are Donald's family doesn't even know he's missing. According to the article Steven and his sister had been living there for a year.

The most frustrating thing about Donald's case for me is how little is known about him. The only info on him is approximations and a search of him is mainly Steven's articles. His name is briefly and sometimes mentioned once in articles and other times he's mentioned as Steven's 12 year old friend. Even looking up 'Donald Caldwell missing' on google results the second article listed is about Jacob Caldwell's case.

I agree to hoping a family member comes forward! There is someone out there with a Donald Caldwell as a brother/uncle/cousin/etc on their tree.

Palmyra NJ is also in both Burlington and Ocean counties and according to Google maps is about an hour away from Bass River State Forest. Did Donald make it a little bit farther than Steven?

So strange they list it as Ocean County because Palmyra is fully in Burlington County. It’s right along the Delaware River in Western Burlington county. I really wonder why they have Ocean County listed as the contact for remains found on the opposite side of Burlington County (Ocean is to the east)...

My gut feeling is that Donald is in the woods as well. I go walking in the Pinelands often. They are huge and very easy to get lost in. It’s pure wilderness. I could easily see how they could have gotten lost.

This case is so sad. Being local, I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of it before..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickstrom8
Back