NJ NJ - Five Missing Teens, Newark, 20 Aug 1978

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SOLVED!!!

http://wcbstv.com/local/clinton.avenue.five.2.1581553.htlm

Cops: 'Clinton Avenue Five' Cold Case Solved
Families Of 5 Boys Who Disappeared 31 Years Ago In N.J. Have Some Answers Now That 2 Men Have Been Arrested

More at link.

eta: I don't know how to change title of thread to Solved. Anyone?

Arrests made, but not solved. At least not until the remains of these 5 young men are found. Hopefully now that the arrests have been made they will lead LE to the young mens remains.

From what I've read, they were burned in house. This many years later, something has probably been built over that spot. I'd always wondered how one person could overpower 5 teens but now that the news is more public, it seems that 3 people were involved.

Arrests made, but not solved. At least not until the remains of these 5 young men are found. Hopefully now that the arrests have been made they will lead LE to the young mens remains.

How very sad. I am so thankful these boys families will get justice. The story about Alvin cooking super the night he disappperd is heartbreaking. I am appalled that this crime took this long to solve. I would really like more information. Did they actually find the boys bodies? It stuck out to me that Evans passed a lie detector. We should keep that in mind every time we hear a very likley suspect saying how they passed a lie detector!

They have been missing since 1978. I didn't see this in Cold Cases, so posted it here. The two suspects are being held on $5 million bail.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gBCpUamOSKewbT11l9dRC3OKia-AD9EKLCJ80

Thank you so much for posting this article JoeFromLB. I am so glad there has been an arrest in this case. I believe there is a thread here on WS about the disappearance of the five boys. I pray their families finally get closure.

eta: Here is the link for the missing boys in the Missing but not forgotten section: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68844

Joe, thank you so very much. Wow. I'd urge anyone that hadn't read about this case to see Nyla's link.

Praise God. That is huge the guy confessed? I'm very thankful that finally these poor families can at least know who did this. I am so very sorry such a tradgedy went on for so long like that.

From what I've read, they were burned in house. This many years later, something has probably been built over that spot. I'd always wondered how one person could overpower 5 teens but now that the news is more public, it seems that 3 people were involved.

So, it was Lee Evans who confessed? The Lee Evans from Irvington. They also have another name of a Philander Hampton?

It's so very sad. Young boys murdered so senselessly.

It was chilling to read how these poor boys died. According to police, they were herded into an abandoned building, restrained in some way, and the building set on fire. They were not shot, but burned to death. They must have suffered horribly.

What kind of evil people are we dealing with that would do something like this? Too much for words...

I was just reading about these boys a couple of days ago on Charley Project... How terrible that they had to die like that but I'm glad the case has been solved. It gives hope that other cold cases can be solved too.

Rest in peace, Melvin Pittman, Ernest Taylor, Alvin Turner, Randy Johnson and Michael McDowell. You were too young to die.

This is very sad. When I read this it reminded me of the WW Atlanta murders and also JWG. Now the poor victims may receive justice in their case.

I had never heard of this until I read about it yesterday on charleyprojects's blog. Better late than never for justice.

http://cbs3.com/wireapnewsnj/Defendant.charged.in.2.1866951.html

Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm US/Eastern

Bail Lowered For Man Accused In Teens' 1978 Deaths

A man charged with murdering five New Jersey teens who disappeared in 1978 made bail Wednesday, his attorney said, in what had been one of the longest-running cold cases in the state's history.

Lee Evans of Irvington, who faces five counts of murder and one count of arson, is set to leave jail in the next few days, according to attorney Michael Robbins.

Prosecutors say the 56-year-old Evans and another defendant, 53-year-old Philander Hampton, killed the teens in an alleged dispute over missing drugs by herding them at gunpoint into an abandoned building and setting it on fire.

Today marks the 32 years since these five boys went missing. Prayers for their families.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/alleged_lee_evans_accomplice_p.html

Published: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 12:44 PM Updated: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 12:50 PM

Alleged Lee Evans accomplice pleads not guilty in 1978 Newark killings

Philander Hampton, the so-called cooperating witness jailed in the 1978 slayings of five Newark boys, Thursday quietly mouthed the words "not guilty" as he echoed the plea just entered by his public defender during a brief courtroom appearance.

More at link.

Amazing that the psychic was right!!! John Monti was his name (I think)--

So, it was Lee Evans who confessed? The Lee Evans from Irvington. They also have another name of a Philander Hampton?

It's so very sad. Young boys murdered so senselessly.

Tragic case,

Hopefully justice will be served. What is known about Mr. Hampton? Is he still alive? If so, has he been charged?

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back