Found Deceased NJ - Patricia Viola, 42, Bogota, 13 Feb 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw this case for the first time, and I am deeply intrigued. I know the police officer interviewed in the Disappeared episode said her husband had been cleared, and so I am basically inclined to take his word on that, but it does leave an important question unanswered:

Who could have triggered the alarm to the house, but NOT broken in?

Seems that would have to be a very short list.

I saw the episode last week. I am very familiar with Bogota although I never knew the Viola family.

suffice it to say there are not many places a person without transportation can go to commit suicide without being found. the show mentioned the George Washington Bridge but there is no way she took a bus there and jumped off. anyone jumping (unless it is under cover of darkness) would be seen attempting to jump off the bridge.

there is another river which borders Bogota and that is the Hackensack River. Route 80 goes over the river but it would be very difficult to jump off that highway into the river and she would have been seen. however, there is at least one railroad track that goes over the river where person might not be seen. that goes behind Olsen Park in Bogota and crosses over into Hackensack. it is not a heavily used freight train line.

the river however is not a very wide or deep one. it is rather muddy at the bottom and at very low tides there is not all that much of a river there. it is possible for a person to jump off the train tracks and go into the muck but whether a person's body would be embedded in the muck for this length of time is questionable. I doubt anyone explored that possibility.

in case anyone is interested in a visual of the freight tracks I described, I found this video online of a train using the tracks.

it is not exciting to watch but it is precisely the bridge I mentioned about being a possible jump off point. note the bridge is not particularly high but the river is mucky and you can see the tide coming in as the river is flowing north.

http://zomobo.net/play.php?id=YtaW2oRWwFM

I read about this case for the first time recently and watched the Investigation Discovery programme.

The thing that stood out to me was the odd conversation Pat had with her best friend Toinette just before she disappeared when she begged Toinette not to go away on holiday and was very upset about something, then the next day brushed it all off and would not talk about it.

It was never really mentioned again in the programme, nor have I seen it in articles. Does anyone know what it was about? Did Toinette or Pat's husband have any idea what it might have been about? It didn't sound trivial the way it was presented.

all i can say about this is wow!!

How sad. I was hoping that she had left and only moved away due to the fears of having early onset alzheimer's as mentioned by her best friend. Mr. Viola seems like such a good man.

we'll probably never know how she got to Queens. I should clarify that her remains were found washed up in Rockaway Queens, but I don't think it is possible for her to have jumped off the George Washington Bridge and body parts drift to Queens so somehow she managed to get into NYC.

also it looks like my idea that she jumped into the Hackensack River cannot possibly be valid.

we'll probably never know how she got to Queens. I should clarify that her remains were found washed up in Rockaway Queens, but I don't think it is possible for her to have jumped off the George Washington Bridge and body parts drift to Queens so somehow she managed to get into NYC.

also it looks like my idea that she jumped into the Hackensack River cannot possibly be valid.

I read in an article that the Hudson River was right near where she lived? The article said that the current would break up remains and would wash them out to sea via Rockaway and some other points before reaching the Atlantic. Anyone know if this makes sense?

What really gets me is the part that they found a sock with a bone in it and her shoes "on the beach" 17 months after she disappeared. I just think it's so strange that the shoes, sock and a bone just appeared together on a beach.

I read in an article that the Hudson River was right near where she lived? The article said that the current would break up remains and would wash them out to sea via Rockaway and some other points before reaching the Atlantic. Anyone know if this makes sense?

What really gets me is the part that they found a sock with a bone in it and her shoes "on the beach" 17 months after she disappeared. I just think it's so strange that the shoes, sock and a bone just appeared together on a beach.

the Hudson River was not that close to where she lived. I can't wrap my head around the thought that she jumped off the GWB. people have done it (a few survived) but I'm not aware of any cases where someone jumped off the GWB and it was not seen by others. of course she could have waited until dark but that would have been hours after she first left her house.

as for the currents, who knows? maybe it is possible for body parts to break up and float away like that.

This is a case that can definitely help in others to show the affects and premeditated thoughts on suicide.

For instance, she talked on the phone with who was it, her mother I think? The mother thought things sounded normal, but just moments later this poor woman was walking out the door to her end. That is really something to think about. I have to think about cases like Brian Shaffer, Ray Gricar, Maura Murray and others when it comes to this here. There is such a thin _____ when it comes to life and suicide.

This case speaks volumes now that we are pretty sure what happened.
May she rest in peace now, and hopefully the family can resolve their lost decade.

These cases where they have a body and it takes so long to match to a missing person just infuriate me. Especially in the 2000's where we have so many tools at our disposal. Queens can't look at missing people from Jersey? Ugh. So sad.

So glad she has been identified...what a sad case. One of the more perplexing "Disappeared" episodes, also one of the few where I never suspected the husband for a moment.

Our CODIS system can look all over the country as long as the parties involved enter extract the DNA and enter it into CODIS in a timely manner. It did not happen in this case.

Pat's husband
Jim

Where do you get off talking about "premeditated thoughts on suicide". You should be ashamed of yourself especially not knowing my wife !

Just keep your opinions to yourself.

The Police chief says this is still an open case and still could be a homocide.

Pat's husband,
Jim

The case is still open and the bogota chief stated it could still be a homicide ! Enough already.

Pat's husband,
jim

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur