Deceased/Not Found NJ - Rosemary Calandriello, 17, Atlantic Highlands, 25 Aug 1969 *R. Zarinsky guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forty years have passed and Rosemary is still missing. Although a man spent his life in prison for her murder, her body has never been found.

It's almost similar to her, but I am positive that she didn't runaway. DUe to the circumstances I think she was snatched and probably killed soon after that.

I really do think that so many more cases will be solved if these women can be matched up.

I am glad I found this post. It is so sad that Rosemary's remains have not been found. I grew up in Belford and I had Aunt/Uncle/Cousins who lived right around the corner from Rosemary. Rosemary's aunt, "Rosie" was also our nanny and lived with us in Belford. Rosemary's disappearance devastated the family. Her father never recovered from it. As I remember, he stopped talking completely. I was nine when this happened.

I will say this, I firmly believe that another individual was involved with this and a few other cases involving Zarinsky. To this day I have recurring nightmares about the events. For years, I have thought about writing a book based upon this case. The whodunit ending would have a twist that would be startling. I just do not know where to start.

pafield817,
Anything that would bring publicity to this cold case would be appreciated! The more this case is out there, the more pressure it is on the person who took her.

I wonder what her middle name Is? Possibly Karina or Katalina/Kathleen, Kaitlynn? She Is of Italian descent. Her mother died In 2006.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of her disappearance.

RCalandriello.jpg

Rosemary Calandriello
Missing since August 25, 1969 from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark hair; dark eyes. Pageboy haircut, bushy, black eyebrows, and thick eyeglasses.
    • Clothing: Wearing yellow shorts and sleeveless shirt. Barefoot.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Rosemary Calandriello was last seen on August 25, 1969, around 18.00, as she left her family's Center Avenue residence to go to the store, located only two blocks away. Described as a bookish girl, very shy, Rosemary had just turned 17 and only recently had gone on her first date.

She was the youngest of four children, the only one still living at home, and her life pretty much revolved around school, Scouts and her family. Her parents were strict and Rosemary wasn't allowed out at night unless she was chauffeured by her parents. When she hadn't returned later that night, her mother went to the police.

Four high school boys, neighbors and classmates of Rosemary, claimed they had seen her riding through town with a stranger the night of her disappearance. They had spotted Rosemary riding in a beat-up white Ford Galaxy convertible. They didn't recognize the older guy at the wheel. Based on their recollections, a composite sketch of the man and a description of the car, was released to the newspapers.

Two days before Rosemary's disappearance, and at about the same time of day, two young girls had been walking along Center Avenue in Leonardo when a stranger in a white Ford with a black rag top pulled up alongside them. The driver tried three times to pick the girls up, before they ran home and told one of their mothers about the incident. The mother then called the police and reported it. The daughter had memorized the car's license plate and had written it down. When investigators ran the plate number they found the car belonged to Robert Zarinsky.

Robert Zarinsky, a former Linden grocer, was eventually convicted in Rosemary's death. For years after his conviction, Zarinsky insisted he'd never even met the teenager. He eventually admitted killing her "accidentally" by backing over her in his car. But he never told anyone what he did with her body.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Atlantic Highlands Police Department
732-291-1212

Source Information:
Doe Network
NJ.com

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 2422DFNJ

Robert Zarinsky
1975 mugshot
Born September 2, 1940
Linden, New Jersey, US
Died November 28, 2008 (aged 68)
South Woods State Prison, Bridgeton, New Jersey, United States
Cause of death Pulmonary fibrosis
Conviction(s) Murder
Criminal penalty Life imprisonment
Details
Victims
2 to 10
Span of crimes
1958 (?) – 1974
Country United States
State(s) New Jersey
Date apprehended
February 22, 1975
Robert Zarinsky (September 2, 1940 – November 28, 2008) was a convicted murderer and suspected serial killer from Linden, New Jersey.

Rosemary K. Calandriello
calandriello_rosemary.jpg
rosemary_k._calandriello_2.jpg

Rosemary, circa 1969

• Missing Since 08/25/1969
  • Missing From Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 17 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'7, 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry blue and yellow sleeveless shirt, yellow shorts and brown sandals.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Rosemary's hair was cut in a page boy at the time of her disappearance, and she wore thick eyeglasses. She has bushy eyebrows.
Details of Disappearance

Rosemary was last seen at her family's home in the 90 block of Center Avenue in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey at 6:00 p.m. on August 25, 1969. Her mother gave her two dollars and sent her out to buy milk and ice pops for the family's dinner.

The store was only two blocks away, and Rosemary was expected to return home within a few minutes, but she never arrived. She has never been heard from again. Her mother reported her disappearance to the police two hours after she was last seen.

Rosemary is the youngest of four children and the only child still living with her parents by the time of her disappearance. She had only recently started dating, had no steady boyfriend, and was generally kept very sheltered by her family. She was not allowed out at night without being accompanied by her parents, and she was afraid of the dark.

At the time of her disappearance, her father was in poor health and had taken leave from his job as a result. Rosemary assumed many household responsibilities, including shopping for groceries and paying bills, due to her father's illness. Her parents never believed she ran away from home, as this was extremely uncharacteristic of her behavior.

When authorities canvassed the area, they found four of Rosemary's high school classmates who claimed to have seen her riding in a car with a stranger, an older male. The vehicle was described as a beat-up black and white Ford Galaxy convertible. The boys followed the car in their own vehicle for a few blocks, because they were curious about seeing Rosemary with an older man.

The police made a composite drawing of the unidentified man based off the boys' descriptions. After this sighting was reported in the newspapers, a woman told investigators that a man who closely resembled the sketch and drove a similar car had offered a ride to her twelve-year-old daughter and her daughter's friend. He made the offer on three separate occasions and also offered to give the girls some wine. The girls had memorized the vehicle's license plate and police determined it belonged to Robert Zarinsky.

rosemary_k._calandriello_5.jpg
rosemary_k._calandriello_6.jpg
rosemary_k._calandriello_7.jpg

Robert Zarinsky in 1969; Zarinsky in 1975; Zarinsky, circa 2007

Zarinsky had a history of antisocial and criminal behavior dating back to his childhood, and was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. After linking him to Rosemary's disappearance, authorities arrested him for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. This charge was connected to his allegedly offering alcohol to the two underage girls, but police believed he had also harmed Rosemary.

He was seen washing the trunk of his Ford Galaxy after Rosemary went missing, something he rarely did. When authorities inspected the car, the window and door handles on the passenger side were absent. One of Rosemary's hair clips was found on the floor of the vehicle, and in the backseat was a pair of blue women's panties. Rosemary's mother identified the panties as her daughter's, but Zarinsky's wife stated they were her own. A ball-peen hammer with a bloodstained hair stuck to the end was also located.

After his arrest, Rosemary's four high school classmates identified Zarinsky as the man they had seen with her on the evening of her disappearance. While he was in jail, he allegedly confessed Rosemary's murder to a cellmate, and said no one would ever find her body.

Zarinsky was convicted on the charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, but his conviction was overturned on appeal and he was released. The FBI analyzed the bloody hair found in his car and linked it to another teenager, Linda Balabanow, whose body was found in the Raritan River in Port Reading, New Jersey four months before Rosemary disappeared. She had been strangled with an electrical cord.

Authorities suspected Zarinsky had killed her and also murdered Joanne Delardo and Donna Carlucci, two teenage girls from Woodbridge Township, New Jersey, who were both also strangled with an electrical cord. There was not enough evidence to prosecute in any of the cases, however.

In 1974, Zarinsky was charged with Rosemary's murder on the basis of circumstantial evidence. He was convicted in 1975 and sentenced to ninety-eight years in prison. He was the first person in the state of New Jersey to be convicted of murder in a case where the victim's body had not been found. In 1999, he was additionally charged with murder in the 1958 shooting death of Charles Bernoskie, a police officer. He was acquitted, but Bernoskie's widow won a $9.5 million civil judgement against him in 2003.

At one of his parole hearings, Zarinsky stated he had killed Rosemary accidentally. He said he had driven her to a local lover's lane and she had gotten drunk and left his vehicle to relieve herself, and he accidentally backed over her and killed her. Prior to making this statement, for years he had denied having even ever met Rosemary.

In April 2008, he was charged with murder in the 1968 death of a thirteen-year-old girl, Jane Durrua. She had been raped, beaten and strangled. He was awaiting trial for the murder when he died of pulmonary fibrosis in December 2008.

Authorities believe Zarinsky was a serial killer; he is a suspect in several murders besides the ones he was charged with, and his own sister attributed as many as ten homicides to him.

Rosemary's remains have never been located, but foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.

Investigating Agency
  • Atlantic Highlands Police Department 732-291-1212
Source Information

Linden native Robert Zarinsky was the first person ever convicted in New Jersey without evidence of a corpse. in 1975, he was convicted of killing 17-year-old Rosemary Calandriello of Atlantic Highlands, last seen in August 1969 on her way to the corner store. But he is also believed to have killed at least four other teenaged girls in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In 2001, he was tried but ultimately acquitted in the shooting death of Rahway police officer Charles Bernoskie in 1958...

Zarinsky, who was convicted in Calandriello's death after four boys testified they saw her get into his car the day she disappeared, was sentenced to 98 years in prison. But in 2005, DNA evidence linked him to the 1968 murder of 13-year-old Jane Durrua. Zarinksy died at South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton in 2008 before he could be brought to trial in Durrua's murder. He was 68.

LINK:

The 21 most notorious murders in New Jersey history

Even though Miss Calandriello's body was never found, Mr. Zarinsky was convicted after investigators found her underwear and some of her hair and her blood in his Ford Galaxie convertible.

While the bodies of the other girls -- Linda Balabanow, 17, of Union Township; Doreen Carlucci, 14, of Woodbridge; and Joanne Delardo, 15, also of Woodbridge -- were found, investigators believe that Mr. Zarinsky's house may still contain clues as to how they died, said a Monmouth County law enforcement official.

The Star-Ledger of Newark reported today that Mr. Zarinsky was also a suspect in the murder of a fourth girl, Ann Logan, a 19-year-old Seton Hall University student, who was found beaten to death and raped in Roselle in 1973. But officials refused to confirm the report.

The house in Linden was first searched in 1975 when Mr. Zarinsky was arrested in the Calandriello killing, Mr. Mullaney said, but it was a limited search. Other than noting that Mrs. Sapsa had provided some information about the killings of Officer Bernoskie, officials in both Union and Monmouth Counties refused to say why they had returned to search again -- or what, if anything, had been found.

By 3 P.M. today, however, investigators had packed up and left. Throughout the day, the whine of a saw was heard, three cardboard evidence boxes stood by the open front door and officers covered in dust came and went holding metal detectors and digging tools.

The house, a modest three-story stone structure at 402 Bower Street that is surrounded by pine trees, has been vacant since Mr. Zarinsky's mother died in 1995. Nonetheless, he has had a friend maintain it and has chosen not to sell it even though he has more than 70 years remaining on his murder sentence, neighbors said.

Zarinsky told the psychiatrist he first met Rosemary at a diner in Atlantic Highlands, where they enjoyed a casual conversation.

Two days later he saw her again, this time walking in town, and offered her a ride. They stopped at a liquor store for two bottles of blackberry brandy and a beer. Then he drove toward Sandy Hook and pulled off the road into a wooded area. Rosemary did not want to drink, but with his encouragement she took a few sips of the brandy and immediately felt sick.

She got out of the car to throw up, Zarinsky said, and he accidentally ran over her.

When he saw blood running from her ears, he told the psychiatrist, he panicked and put her in the trunk. He drove around for hours not knowing what to do, and finally disposed of her body by weighting it with a cinder block and throwing it off a ledge into a large body of water somewhere in northern New Jersey. Then he burned her clothes to get rid of the evidence.

an unsuccessful lawsuit against the parole board in 1997, Zarinsky attempted to explain why he couldn't locate Rosemary's body. He said he had been "petrified by fear" after accidentally killing the girl and drove aimlessly for hours with her body in his trunk.

"I first tried to dispose of the body by tying a cinderblock to the body with a piece of cheesecloth taken from the trunk, placing the body in a narrow stretch of water .¤.¤. I believe it was the Pequest River near Route 46. The body would not sink. It was extremely dark. I probed the water with a stick and ascertained that it was very shallow water. I retrieved the body, discarded the cinderblock, and placed the body back in the trunk.

I decided to dispose of the body in the ocean. I drove on the road beside the ocean in Sea Bright . . . then turning left off the public street into an area that was dark and provided an access route to the ocean from the location where I parked.

"I wrapped the body in a blanket and placed it in the ocean from a rock formation. The body did not sink. I watched from the rocks as the body slowly floated away, drifting with each sea swell, until it disappeared from sight in the darkness. . . . It is impossible to know where the ocean currents took the body."

1704758338897.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios
Back