Found Deceased NJ - Sarah Butler, 20, Montclair, 22 Nov 2016 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i could be wrong about my gut reaction, but that was my initial thoughts based on her home/work location, location of her vehicle and the place where she was found. and by younger, i mean someone around her age. i'm also assuming she was brought to eagle rock in a vehicle, presumably to be disposed of there, though if she was killed in the park it wouldn't change too much in my mind.

if she did make it to orange, than someone brought her back towards and almost to montclair to where she was found. without knowing the whereabouts precisely in eagle rock reservation, it just does not seem like a good place to hide a body to me.

there is just one main road that travels through the park, having only two entrances/exits. the park itself sits on top of and the side of a mountain. the main attractions, which have a pretty busy draw are the scenic overlook at the top, which has a great view of nyc, and right next to that is the highlawn pavilion, which is a very busy event destination, complete with valet parking and all of the top shelf expectations one could possibly have. i'd describe this whole top section of the park as very busy/high volume area, even late into the evening hours.

the lower section or reminder of the park accessible by car is a winding road that leads from the pavilion/overlook area, down the side of the mountain to a very wealthy neighborhood of homes, where lots of professional athletes, big business and celebrity types live. along this route are a few trails that get a lot of use from people doing assorted outdoor activities.

its possible that someone may have thought it would be hard to find her if she was pushed down a steep incline accessible near the road, or that they tried to somehow conceal her location with leaves, etc. still, it just doesn't seem like any of the options available there would have afforded the perp any kind of long term prevention of the discovery of her remains.

the perp certainly would have had to have been aware of and familiar enough with the park to feel confidant to place her body there, but its a well known place. its a bit hard to believe that it was the only place they could think of though, or perhaps that is part of the reason they chose that place, is that any other place would have been too incriminating in some way.

Excellent description of that location which also has the 9/11 memorial for those who are from New Jersey. The Pavillon was also featured on The Sopranos.

It's almost a perfect spot for a quick dump, so many different towns practically intercepting. Like you said it's a busy place night and day. That one exit down to those homes is a scary place late at night too.

Back in the day there was no concrete wall and the fencing going around the mountain, I could sit on the edge of that cliff there. Had it been the 70's/80's she may have never been found...

Great News!!! Thanks Da fino and InquiringMind78, for news of this.

May Sarah Butler's family have the answers and the justice they seek.

Thoughts and prayers continue for all those touched by Sarah's young vibrant life taken away and for all those who seek her justice.

_

Man strangled college student, dumped her body in park, authorities say
Noah Cohen reports, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Dec 7 2016, 3:24 pm

With images of the perp, Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn A. Murray, announcing the arrest, and continuing investigation.

"Phone calls kept coming, there were leads everywhere," Fontoura added.

Fontoura said the park is in a "safe, safe neighborhood."

"This is just an unfortunate situation that a young woman had to lose her life and she had to be taken to a place where it is so sacred," the sheriff added.

[Perp] also faces a charge of desecrating human remains. Bail was set at $1 million and he is being held at the Essex County jail.

Bail has been set at $5 million now that he's been charged with 2 murder's and possibly a third...

there is a third!!!!! o_O

New Jersey man accused of strangling two women to death eyed as serial killer as cops probe Philadelphia prostitute’s murder

<snip> Khalil Wheeler-Weaver, 20, is now considered a suspect in the killing of a 19-year-old Philadelphia hooker whose burned body was tossed inside an abandoned building in Orange, N.J., WNBC-TV reported Wednesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...used-murders-suspected-killing-article-1.2918

Authorities think this man might be a serial killer

<snip> The charred corpse of the victim, identified only as a 19-year-old Philadelphia prostitute, was found in a vacant building in Orange, New Jersey, according to the report.

He has not been charged in that case, but the condition of the body mirrored that of one of his other two alleged victims.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/21/authorities-think-this-man-might-be-a-serial-killer/

http://abc7ny.com/news/exclusive-fa...nked-to-nj-murder-suspect-speaks-out/1669055/

Robin West's body was found in a badly burned home in Orange on Sept. 1st. Her remains were located only after the fire was out...

Robin would have turned 20 on Sept. 5th, but didn't make it. It took two weeks to identify her remains.

Now authorities believe she is the third victim in a string of murders which involve Joanne Brown and Sarah Butler.

The Butler case led to the arrest of Kahlil-Wheeler Weaver, the 20-year-old suspect now charged in two murders.

Charges in the case of Robin West are pending.

From last month:

Cops didn't read 'helpful' witness his rights. Turns out he may be a serial killer

Days after Robin West's burned body was discovered in a house in Orange in September 2016, detectives talked to a man seen picking her up.

The Orange resident was a "calm," even "helpful" witness, detectives said. He led them to an abandoned building in his town where he said he'd dropped off the 19-year-old Philadelphia native, who had been living in Union, after taking her to get food.

Prosecutors say it turns out that this witness, Khalil Wheeler-Weaver, was the one who killed West, strangled two more women and attempted to kill a fourth in separate attacks in Essex and Union counties.

Now, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office and Wheeler-Weaver's public defender have begun arguments before Judge Alfonse Cifelli over whether those statements should be allowed as evidence at Wheeler-Weaver's murder trial.

its behind a very tiny $0.99 per month paywall.

any chance you could please update us in your own summary?

Sorry I did not realise that but should have. I could view it when I looked but wondered why the link said get access. I will see if I can access it again and post a summary if not I am a bit like Arkwright feon Open All Hours:) Cheers

Sorry I did not realise that but should have. I could view it when I looked but wondered why the link said get access. I will see if I can access it again and post a summary if not I am a bit like Arkwright feon Open All Hours:) Cheers

I can still view the article and here is part of it but I do not think I am allowed to post it all:

“Most serial killers are creatures of habit,” said Enzo Yaksic, who runs the Atypical Homicide Research Group, a Northeastern University think tank that uses data to study and apprehend serial murder suspects. "They stick to a method, a location and a victim type that has demonstrated the results they are looking for.”

Wheeler-Weaver is charged with the murders of Robin West, Joanne Browne and Sarah Butler, all killed by a combination of strangulation and asphyxiation. His 11-count indictment also includes charges of desecrating human remains, kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and aggravated arson. He's also charged with attempted murder for an attack on a fourth woman.

Get Access

Sarah Butler was nervous. The 20-year-old college student had borrowed the keys to her mother’s van, explaining that she wanted to meet up with a friend while home in Montclair, N.J., over Thanksgiving break. What she didn’t mention, though, was that the “friend” was an online acquaintance offering to pay her $500 for sex. She had backed out of meeting him in person before, authorities say, but this time, she planned to go through with it.

“You’re not a serial killer, right?” she messaged him before leaving the house.

Khalil Wheeler-Weaver was exactly that, prosecutors said on Thursday. The 23-year-old is on trial for murdering three women and attempting to kill a fourth, and authorities say that Butler was his final victim. Before the two met up on Nov. 22, 2016, he searched the Internet for information about date-rape drugs and homemade poison, according to the North Jersey Record. Ten days later, Butler’s body was found in a nature reserve, covered with leaves and detritus. She had been strangled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...eaver-trial-murdering-three-women-new-jersey/

This seems like the right place to post this, but unsure..
Oct 6 2021 rbbm.
N.J. Serial Killer Gets 160 Years in Prison for Using Social Media to Target Victims of 2016 Rapes and Murders
''A New Jersey man and serial killer responsible for the rapes and murders of three women was sentenced to 160 years in prison on Wednesday.

Khalil Wheeler-Weaver, 25, was largely silent during his sentencing proceedings in front of Essex County Court Judge Mark S. Ali.

According to the Associated Press, the convicted murderer kept quiet as the court handed down a sentence that will keep him behind bars for the rest of his life. He similarly made no noise while victim impact statements were read by surviving family members of two of his victims. Wheeler-Weaver reportedly only spoke briefly, just before those emotion-heavy statements were read aloud, to disclaim all responsibility for his crimes and to tell the judge that he was framed.

“I hope you suffer, boy, every night,” Victor Butler, the father of his final murder victim reportedly said while imploring the court to consider the maximum available sentence in the case.

An Essex County court took less than three hours to convict Wheeler-Weaver of those murders in 2019. He was also found guilty of kidnapping, aggravated arson, and desecration of human remains related to the murders. Wheeler-Weaver was additionally convicted of kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and the attempted murder of a 34-year-old woman who survived his final known attack.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NonakaYori
Back