NM - Alexee Trevizo, 19, Charged with murder of newborn in trash can, Artesia, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

SunSun

Reaction score
A deceased infant was found in by Artesia General Hospital staff in a restroom trashcan on January 27. Alexee Trevizo has been charged with first-degree murder, child abuse resulting in death and tampering with evidence. She is scheduled to make her first appearance on charges in court today.

Las Cruces Sun News Article

KQRE Article

Carlsbad Current-Argus Article

ARTESIA, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico woman has been charged with first-degree murder in the January death of her newborn son, whose body authorities said she placed in a trash can.

Alexee Trevizo, 19, also was charged this week with tampering with evidence, according to a criminal complaint filed in Eddy County in southeastern New Mexico.

Trevizo went to the emergency room in late December for back pain, and lab tests showed she was pregnant and in labor, according to Artesia police. Trevizo then locked herself in a bathroom, where she gave birth to a boy Jan. 27, then placed the baby in a bag that she concealed under other trash, investigators said.

I’m kind of wondering what is being left out of this equation. Teenager gets emergency medical care. Gives birth alone in hospital restroom. Disposes of newborn. Was she is distress? Were staff aware that a woman in active labor locked herself in a restroom for a period of time? Did they notice her leaving after giving birth? You’d think attentive medical staff could’ve intervened or sensed that something wasn’t quite right… MOO but this feels off to me.

Wow. She was already right there at the hospital (a legal & safe place to anonymously leave an unwanted newborn) but she opted to cover him in a bag and place him in the bottom of a trash can instead?

1683898045203.jpeg
A teen who showed up at a New Mexico hospital with lower back pain and allegedly locked herself in a bathroom after being told she was pregnant now faces charges in the death of her newborn son.

Alexee Trevizo was arrested Thursday by the Artesia Police Department in connection with the Jan. 27 incident at Artesia General Hospital, where the defendant’s baby was found not breathing in a trash bag inside of a bathroom. Authorities say that an autopsy found the baby was the victim of a homicide caused by a lack of oxygen.

According to KOB 4, a housekeeper at the hospital noticed a trash bag that was “heavier than usual” and blood in the bathroom back in January. The defendant had earlier come to the facility with back pain and medical professionals told her she was pregnant. After that, Trevizo allegedly locked herself in the bathroom for an extended period of time, gave birth, and placed the newborn in the trash bag.

Trevizo allegedly claimed that the baby wasn’t breathing when he was born, so she panicked and threw the baby in the trash. After months of investigation and the results of an autopsy on March 28, authorities assert that the baby boy was actually born alive and died because he was placed in the bag.

Defense attorney Gary C. Mitchell called this a “horrific case of a young person who goes for help to the right place — the place in that community she should be at.”

“She went there for help, and this is the result?” the attorney asked.

The poor poor baby. :( To be carried for 38 weeks, to be born healthy, only to suffocate in a trashcan soon after birth.

Did her mum know she was pregnant? Their interaction is very weird. What did she think her daughter was at the hospital for? If she knew she was pregnant, was she not wondering where the baby was? feeling confused after watching the video.

Artesia teen released from jail, facing murder charge​

ARTESIA, N.M. — An Artesia woman, facing a murder charge for allegedly throwing her baby in a hospital trash can and killing him, will be released from jail.

A judge ruled Tuesday to release Alexee Trevizo, who will get to finish the school year. She also won’t have to wear an ankle monitor and won’t be under house arrest.

Trevizo faces charges of first-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

First degree murder....but she gets to enjoy that high school experience and Friday Night games! :oops:

After months of investigation and the results of an autopsy on March 28, authorities assert that the baby boy was actually born alive and died because he was placed in the bag.

Wow. She was already right there at the hospital (a legal & safe place to anonymously leave an unwanted newborn) but she opted to cover him in a bag and place him in the bottom of a trash can instead?
I thought the same thing but after rereading it says she went to the hospital in late December and found out she was pregnant but didn’t lock herself in the bathroom until January 27th. So those were definitely two separate incidents. MOO

I thought the same thing but after rereading it says she went to the hospital in late December and found out she was pregnant but didn’t lock herself in the bathroom until January 27th. So those were definitely two separate incidents. MOO

Not sure what you mean/are trying to explain? Can you elaborate? :) Are you thinking the Dec visit was at the hospital but the events on Jan 27th were not? I don't know any details of the hospital visit in December.

But the Jan 27th visit where she locked herself in the bathroom and threw her baby in the trashcan was at the hospital, so she was definitely already at a legal and safe place to leave an unwanted newborn (Safe Haven) when she gave birth

She went to the bathroom and stayed in the room for “an extended amount of time,” read the complaint, with hospital staff eventually getting keys and opening the door.

Records show Trevizo entered the bathroom at 1:39 a.m., exiting at 1:57 a.m. and the infant was found at 2:26 a.m. He was pronounced dead minutes later.
Staff reported the bathroom was “covered in blood,” read the complaint, and medical personnel started treating Trevizo initially concerned she had problems related to the pregnancy or was harming herself.

Nursing staff checked the toilet and trashcan, initially finding nothing on the top of the trash, read the complaint. Cleaning staff were called in to clean the blood in the bathroom and found the infant in a bag in the trashcan beneath the top layer of trash.
Police were called to Artesia General Hospital Jan. 27 after hospital staff reported the deceased infant was found in a restroom trashcan,
Newborn baby found dead in trashcan at Artesia hospital. Mother charged with murder

The video gives more context/details when the police officer is speaking to the Doctor or Charge Nurse? at approximately 0:15-1:58

Alexee Trevizo was released on a $100,000 unsecured bond following a Tuesday hearing in front of Eddy County District Judge David Finger.

She will be allowed to attend school and graduation, follow a curfew from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and will not have to wear an ankle monitor or serve under house arrest during her release.

She was required to attend counseling and was permitted to travel to Texas without permission to visit family. Any other out-of-state travel will require permission from the court.

If any terms are violated, Trevizo will be sent back to jail ahead of the trial.

Not sure what you mean/are trying to explain? Can you elaborate? :) Are you thinking the Dec visit was at the hospital but the events on Jan 27th were not? I don't know any details of the hospital visit in December.

But the Jan 27th visit where she locked herself in the bathroom and threw her baby in the trashcan was at the hospital, so she was definitely already at a legal and safe place to leave an unwanted newborn (Safe Haven) when she gave birth

Newborn baby found dead in trashcan at Artesia hospital. Mother charged with murder

The video gives more context/details when the police officer is speaking to the Doctor or Charge Nurse? at approximately 0:15-1:58

Sorry maybe I misunderstood your post.

I had originally thought that both incidents mentioned in the article happened at or near the same time…maybe because the hospital was mentioned regarding both incidents. After I read another post with pretty much the same article, I realized my original oversight. Sorry for any confusion!

MOO

Sorry maybe I misunderstood your post.

I had originally thought that both incidents mentioned in the article happened at or near the same time…maybe because the hospital was mentioned regarding both incidents. After I read another post with pretty much the same article, I realized my original oversight. Sorry for any confusion!

MOO
No worries! Some articles about this are poorly worded which can add to the confusion, for example this one made me scratch my head:
Trevizo went to the emergency room in late December for back pain, and lab tests showed she was pregnant and in labor, according to Artesia police. Trevizo then locked herself in a bathroom, where she gave birth to a boy Jan. 27,
This mentions a late Dec visit to the ER, but the way it's worded, it sounds as if she was in labor from late Dec to Jan 27th, which is confusing.
New Mexico woman accused in January death of her newborn son, who was found in a hospital trash can

View attachment 421763
A teen who showed up at a New Mexico hospital with lower back pain and allegedly locked herself in a bathroom after being told she was pregnant now faces charges in the death of her newborn son.

Alexee Trevizo was arrested Thursday by the Artesia Police Department in connection with the Jan. 27 incident at Artesia General Hospital, where the defendant’s baby was found not breathing in a trash bag inside of a bathroom. Authorities say that an autopsy found the baby was the victim of a homicide caused by a lack of oxygen.

According to KOB 4, a housekeeper at the hospital noticed a trash bag that was “heavier than usual” and blood in the bathroom back in January. The defendant had earlier come to the facility with back pain and medical professionals told her she was pregnant. After that, Trevizo allegedly locked herself in the bathroom for an extended period of time, gave birth, and placed the newborn in the trash bag.

Trevizo allegedly claimed that the baby wasn’t breathing when he was born, so she panicked and threw the baby in the trash. After months of investigation and the results of an autopsy on March 28, authorities assert that the baby boy was actually born alive and died because he was placed in the bag.

Defense attorney Gary C. Mitchell called this a “horrific case of a young person who goes for help to the right place — the place in that community she should be at.”

“She went there for help, and this is the result?” the attorney asked.
Is this Attorney serious?! She threw a baby in the trash knowing it would get no help and did not ask for help.

Poor baby, thrown in a trash can to suffer and die from asphyxiation, and teenage mom gets to enjoy the rest of the year in high school.
So much dreadfully wrong with this.

Rest in peace, little baby...

She had court yesterday

Longer bodycam

im not sure how i feel about seeing this discussion of her treatment. my thoughts are most with her baby tho. this is why you should make sure your kids can come to you with anything (not saying this parent didnt) over, and over, and over again. RIP lil baby.

im not sure how i feel about seeing this discussion of her treatment. my thoughts are most with her baby tho. this is why you should make sure your kids can come to you with anything (not saying this parent didnt) over, and over, and over again. RIP lil baby.
You are a very empathetic person @cvaldez1975 and I always appreciate your comments.

IME some young woman are so sheltered, they don't know anything about birds and bees, and baby birds and infant bees. This is definitely the case in many cultures, but I'm thinking likewise for some US niches (e.g. orthodox religious groups and highly-restricted homeschooled kids). I have been around a lot of young adult women like this.

The young woman is 19 (she actually looks more like 14), but for me, I have a large crack open for understanding and empathy. Ignorance can be disastrous, and it would be very terrifying if you were suddenly giving birth and not exactly knowing what was going on.

Many times, as in this case, apparently, parents believe their kids could come to them about anything, but IMO that's a parental fantasy; growing up and maturity mean not everything is share-able. We want our kids to be mature, so that's a good thing, right? And, if a teen is ignorant about something, how are they supposed to know to tell mom?

It's hard to know specifically about this case until there are more facts and background info, but I'm reserving judgment on the young woman until I get more info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back