NM NM - Anthonette Cayedito, 9, Gallup, 6 Apr1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is part 2.
Anthonette sister Sadie basically confirmed her mom sold Anthonette for drugs and it was all planned by her mom and her mother’s friend. She more then likely was sold into human trafficking and that just confirms to me that phone call made to the Gallup Police Department was indeed from her. Even the former detective on the case is pretty sure she was sold into human trafficking. Sadie also confirmed shortly before Anthonette got abducted there house was raided for drugs by police.

I do think Anthonette is still out there but may have been controlled so much by her captors she doesn’t remember who she is anymore.

Here is part 2.
Anthonette sister Sadie basically confirmed her mom sold Anthonette for drugs and it was all planned by her mom and her mother’s friend. She more then likely was sold into human trafficking and that just confirms to me that phone call made to the Gallup Police Department was indeed from her. Even the former detective on the case is pretty sure she was sold into human trafficking. Sadie also confirmed shortly before Anthonette got abducted there house was raided for drugs by police.

I do think Anthonette is still out there but may have been controlled so much by her captors she doesn’t remember who she is anymore.

Thank you for sharing. I watched both parts and learned a lot of new information. Of course I take it all with a grain of salt.

The excellent true crime podcast Trace Evidence recently shared an update on Anthonette’s case, essentially sharing that the prime suspect in her disappearance is, and always has been, Anthonette’s mother, Penny. As the other poster stated, a close friend of Penny’s brought an adult male friend of his around, someone referred to as ‘Emo’, who showed an unsettling interest in Anthonette; he brought her flowers and made her extremely uncomfortable. Law enforcement and Anthonette’s sister Sadie both believe Anthonette was either sold to or given to this man by Penny, possibly for drugs. Penny’s story changed several times, and she supposedly confessed to the FBI when they got involved, though the FBI did not immediately pass this information on to Gallup police, for whatever reason.

IIRC, the close friend of Penny’s, who initially brought this ‘Emo’ degenerate around, is still missing and wanted for questioning. While I sincerely doubt Anthonette is alive anymore, there’s still a chance for some measure of justice for her. Perhaps someone knows where her body is or what happened to her after she was taken (given away?) from her home. If New Mexico LE and the FBI are correct, and I have no reason not to believe this update isn’t accurate, then Anthonette was betrayed by the person she was supposed to trust most in this world. Absolutely gut wrenching.

Initially, one of Anthonette’s sisters told police that it was one of their uncles at the door, but he was ruled out as a suspect.

A year later, Gallup police received a call from someone who said they were Anthonette. The caller said they were in Albuquerque. The call, which lasted only 40 seconds, ended after a man’s voice said, “Who said you could use the phone?” followed by a scream. Police could not locate the source of the call.

Then, about five years after Anthonette’s disapperance, a waitress in Carson City, Nevada, reported an encounter with a teenage customer, who investigators believed may have been the missing girl. The girl, she said, was sitting with an “unkempt” couple and kept dropping her fork. When the waitress picked up the utensil, the girl squeezed her hand.

After the three had left the restauraunt, the waitress discovered a note on a napkin which read “Help me! Call police.” But nothing came of the possible lead, and the case has been cold ever since.

The FBI released a photo of Anthonette age-progressed to 36 years old on her page on the agency’s wanted and missing persons section. Any information should be directed to the FBI at 505-889-1300 or Gallup police at 505-863-9365.
The FBI and Gallop Police do not consider the Unsolved Mysteries version of what happened to be credible.

Very damning information with regards to Penny. There is zero doubt in my mind she was involved now. From the Crystal Gutierrez report:

* Anthonette's mother, Penny, had plans to go out on the evening preceding Anthonette's disappearance. While she was getting ready, a man named Emeliano (nicknamed "Emo") came over to the residence and brought Anthonette flowers, a gift, and had Anthonette sit on his lap while Penny was gone from the room.

* Four days after Anthonette disappeared, Penny told investigators that Emo had given Anthonette flowers three times in the days leading up to her disappearance. Penny did not mention this to investigators until another family member brought it up in the presence of police.

* Per the police report, there were multiple witnesses who witnessed Emo bringing flowers to Anthonette the night before she went missing.

* Anthonette's younger sister, Sadie, says that her mother came home at around midnight, and made her and Anthonette's other younger sister Wendy go to bed. Penny and Anthonette stayed up "playing cards". Sadie said that this was unusual.

* Sadie says that shortly after being put to bed, a man began knocking on the door. Not the infamous "Uncle Joe", but another man who was asking Penny to let him in. Penny told the kids to ignore him and he would go away.

* According to police, a man named Roger told them he showed up at Penny's house at 3:30 A.M. and knocked on the door and a window checking on Penny because they "got into an argument at the bar". When no one answered, he left and spent the night at a friend's house. The friend backed up his story of events.

* Wendy was the sister who came forward 5 years after Anthonette disappeared and said she heard a second round of knocking at the door and that a man named "Uncle Joe" was asking for someone to open the door. She claimed that Anthonette opened the door and was abducted. Sadie, however claims there was no second knock at the door.

* Penny originally told local investigators that she woke up at 3 A.M. and saw Anthonette sleeping, and then when she woke back up at 7 A.M. Anthonette was gone. When the FBI interviewed Penny in 1994, she mentioned hearing the knocking at the door and said (verbatim):

Quote:
I told her [Anthonette] to go ahead and answer it. I laid there for a period of time, maybe 30 minutes, and Anthonette never came back. I got up to see where she was but I couldn't find her.
* Penny says that the knock came about 30 minutes before it was "just getting light" outside. But she estimated the time to have been between 3:30-4:30 A.M., meaning it would have been impossible for her to see light.

* Penny's best friend was a man named Ronald, who had introduced Emo to Penny. According to Sadie, Emo was never at their house unless he was with Ronald until the night of Anthonette's disappearance, where he showed up with flowers and a bear necklace. Oddly, after Anthonette disappeared, Penny set up a shrine of sorts in her memory and that same bear necklace was used as an ornament on the shrine.

* After Anthonette's disappearance, neither Ronald or Emo ever showed back up or spoke with Penny ever again. Emo was given a polygraph but the results have never been publicly disclosed. Emo was never named as a suspect or person of interest by law enforcement.

* Roger, Penny, and Sadie all confirm that he knocked on the door between 3:30-4:00 A.M. Roger would have been an important witness because according to Penny the second knocks came at roughly this same time. Roger didn't report anything suspicious to investigators.

* At 6:30 A.M. on the morning of Anthonette's disappearance a search party was out a block away from her home looking for a lost dog. Penny's live-in boyfriend claims that members of the search party told him Anthonette was with them looking for the dog, but she never returned home.

* According to Penny, both Ronald and Emo failed polygraph tests given to them "miserably". There is no evidence in the case files handed over to Crystal Gutierrez of any polygraph results.

* Penny was re-interviewed by the FBI in 1994. When they confronted her over their belief that she was involved in Anthonette's disappearance, she asked them what would happen if she told them she was involved with Emo.

* Per the FBI report from her interview in 1994:

Quote:
When advised that the FBI had information that she was directly implicated, Cayedito stated the words, "what if I told you Emo and I did this, would we both go to prison?" Cayedito stated that she and Emo got together on a plan prior to her daughter's disappearance. Cayedito advised that Emo [last name redacted] and Ron [last name redacted] had come over, she remarked to Emo that her oldest daughter was getting to be a problem and she wanted a better life for her. Cayedito advised that Emo then told her that he would be the person that would take Anthonette. Cayedito stated she wanted to know where. [Name Redacted] told her it was better she did not know.

* According to a former Gallup detective who investigated the case in the late 90's to early 2000's, he confronted Penny over the allegation that she had told people that she had sold Anthonette for drugs but couldn't remember to who. She denied knowing anything about Anthonette's disappearance. Oddly, when the FBI report was turned over to Gallup PD, they did not include the interview in which she basically confessed to them in 1994. He said that not knowing about this "confession" interview, as well as not being up to come up with a motive were reasons why he never formally charged her.

Who knocks on a door at 3AM when they're going out to kidnap a child?

There is something about this case that really bothers me.

Someone who is in cahoots with the victim’s mother. The entire story of a “stranger” knocking on the door at 3 am is just the ridiculous lie Anthonette’s mother perpetuated for years to hide the fact that she essentially gave her daughter away to an adult male, probably for drugs.

Her mother was definitely involved, why else would you say, "What if I did it?" It's horrible, but knowing her addiction issues, and how careless and neglectful she was, it makes sense, sadly. Nothing about the "story" that was initially told to the police made sense. It sounds like one of Penny's "friends" was a predator.

I keep seeing comments online that Anthonette isn't meant to be found. Whether this has to do with the years that have passed, or if she is alive and either doesn't remember who she is or doesn't want to be found. Many missing people, as we know, are never found, dead or alive.

I saw this case for the first time in Unsolved Mysteries and it caught my attention because an adult didn't hear a door open at night. It's strange... I'm left without insurance? Or maybe it was with that intention that it remained like this? Why are there parents so careless without love for their children... I remember that at that time it was said that the mother had planned the whole thing but there was no proof of it... whatever
rest in peace

I saw this case for the first time in Unsolved Mysteries and it caught my attention because an adult didn't hear a door open at night. It's strange... I'm left without insurance? Or maybe it was with that intention that it remained like this? Why are there parents so careless without love for their children... I remember that at that time it was said that the mother had planned the whole thing but there was no proof of it... whatever
rest in peace
I would urge anyone that viewed the "Unsolved Mysteries" version of the Anthonette Cayedito case to take it with a grain of salt. The UM segment has now been proven to be factually inaccurate.

I would urge anyone that viewed the "Unsolved Mysteries" version of the Anthonette Cayedito case to take it with a grain of salt. The UM segment has now been proven to be factually inaccurate.
The segment was based on the known/reported facts at the time. Penny was the driving force of the segment so of course she was shown sympathetically.
There were some oddities though, I remember in the interview with one of the sisters she just seemed sad and uncomfortable (coached?). I noticed that before there was any online chatter about Penny’s involvement.

The new developments in the Crystal Gutierrez report are pretty stunning. Confirming what many have said all along, that Penny was involved as was her friend Ron Perry. Seems like Penny needed money so she sold Anthonette to this Emo guy. He sounded like he was obsessed with Anthonette.

I do think the call to the non emergency police was her. It was either her dialing 911 and the records aren’t accurate or as someone else pointed out not every area had 911 services at that time so kids were trained to memorize a full phone number.

Why would Penny tell LE that Anthonette was “becoming a problem”. Anthonette was a mini mom to her sisters and Penny was dependent on her. What a stupid nonsensical thing to say. Penny’s suicide attempt was no doubt due to guilt.
Interestingly the Guiterrez report didn’t mention that LE visited Penny on her deathbed hoping for a confession.

Also just had a thought, Penny was insane to even do the UM segment. Maybe she did it to turn up the heat on Ron Perry and Emiliano Gardella but they would have turned around and pointed the finger right back at her. Nothing in this case makes any sense.

Should have clarified/Penny had already incriminated herself/confessed to the FBI, then Gallup LE goes to her deathbed to try to get her to confess. Gallup LE didn’t have the confession! Total insanity.

Why would Penny tell LE that Anthonette was “becoming a problem”. Anthonette was a mini mom to her sisters and Penny was dependent on her. What a stupid nonsensical thing to say. Penny’s suicide attempt was no doubt due to guilt.
Interestingly the Guiterrez report didn’t mention that LE visited Penny on her deathbed hoping for a confession.
The theory is that Anthonette, being wise beyond her years, was becoming wise to Penny's vices, meaning Anthonette could have confronted her Mom about her drug use, or allegedly being in the sex trade. It's entirely possible that Penny decided that Anthonette was getting in the way of her lifestyle of partying and drugs. Anthonette could have threatened to take her younger sisters away to her fathers place or a relatives, and inform them of what was transpiring.

There are tons of reasons why Penny may have sold Anthonette. The obvious one being drugs. Wendy would say years later that she and Penny would drink and use drugs throughout the 90s, especially when mourning Anthonette. Considering Wendy was 18 when Penny died in 1999, her mother was using drugs with her at a very young age, possibly 12-13.

The segment was based on the known/reported facts at the time. Penny was the driving force of the segment so of course she was shown sympathetically.

The Unsolved Mysteries segment was never based on what investigators believed. Even when the UM segment aired, Penny was still the main suspect that the FBI and Gallop PD were looking into. Just two years later the FBI would begin a series of interrogations with her including polygraph tests.

The problem with UM, is that many of the shows segments are deliberately sanitized in order for the characters to appear more wholesome, and presentable. Penny was portrayed as being a concerned and stable mother, when it was far from the truth.

The UM segment failed to mention the FBI raid on Penny's home just two weeks before Anthonette went missing, since it was a place known for dealing drugs, and the authorities were tipped off about this. If UM portrayed Penny as what she really was- a drug addict who neglected her children, the ratings would definitely suffer. UM has a history of ignoring facts, if they negatively would affect viewership.

The phone call and the restaurant sighting tips were real, but investigators always focused on Penny as the main suspect. It should be noted that investigators received several witness sightings of Anthonette, but not many proved that credible.

There were some oddities though, I remember in the interview with one of the sisters she just seemed sad and uncomfortable (coached?). I noticed that before there was any online chatter about Penny’s involvement.

On the UM episode, only Penny was shown. None of Anthonette's sisters appeared on the segment. A paid actor portrayed Wendy.

The new developments in the Crystal Gutierrez report are pretty stunning. Confirming what many have said all along, that Penny was involved as was her friend Ron Perry. Seems like Penny needed money so she sold Anthonette to this Emo guy. He sounded like he was obsessed with Anthonette.

Most of what Crystal Gutierrez presented, was already known to people who have studied the case. It just confirms what myself and others ahve believed for over a decade.

I do think the call to the non emergency police was her. It was either her dialing 911 and the records aren’t accurate or as someone else pointed out not every area had 911 services at that time so kids were trained to memorize a full phone number.

There is almost no chance the phone call was Anthonette. It was almost certainly either a sick prank, or it was meant to throw suspicion off the mother. The phone call was traced to Albuquerque, which is 200 miles away. The caller phoned the Gallop Police non-emergency line, and provided no information, but her name.

One would think that if it was Anthonette (who would have been 10 when the call was made), that the first thing they would say, would be to give the address of their residence, and state that they were being kidnapped. Just stating they are "Anthonette Cayedito" has all the hallmarks of a prank call. Anthonette had been in the news throughout New Mexico, as an abducted child, so the chances of the call being made by some random children as a sick joke is very high. Children throughout the second half of the 20th century were notorious for doing prank calls.

Last edited:
There is almost no chance the phone call was Anthonette. It was almost certainly either a sick prank, or it was meant to throw suspicion off the mother. The phone call was traced to Albuquerque, which is 200 miles away. The caller phoned the Gallop Police non-emergency line, and provided no information, but her name.

One would think that if it was Anthonette (who would have been 10 when the call was made), that the first thing they would say, would be to give the address of their residence, and state that they were being kidnapped. Just stating they are "Anthonette Cayedito" has all the hallmarks of a prank call. Anthonette had been in the news throughout New Mexico, as an abducted child, so the chances of the call being made by some random children as a sick joke is very high. Children throughout the second half of the 20th century were notorious for doing prank calls.
You have a good point. In a way, I want to believe the caller was Anthonette (because then we'd know she was still alive at the time). But if I remember correctly, we have only Penny's confirmation to go by, and she stood everything to gain by saying it was Anthonette.

Then again, it could've been Anthonette, and Penny felt forced to go along with it to gain sympathy, to deflect attention off of her, or even just in case Anthonette was ever found, and wasn't aware her mom was involved.

Here is part 2.

I was just thinking of Anthonette Cayedito on Saturday while I was at work having seen her story on Unsolved Mysteries, the episodes uploaded to YouTube by Filmrise. I looked up “Anthonette Cayedito” and noticed the video of Part 2 of Crystal Gutierrez’s report with the title card saying “Was there a Confession?”

To say the least, as I watched both parts of Crystal Gutierrez’s investigation video I was gobsmacked! I knew there were rumours that that Penny, Anthonette’s mom, was involved, but I had no idea that Penny basically admitted it herself! I also had no idea about the shrine or the creepy man who bought her roses and a necklace and had her sit on his knee! It’s just so awful!

I informed the host of a true crime podcast whom I’ve listened to in the past. The podcast is called Almost: A True Crime Podcast. Anthonette’s case was covered by this podcast years ago so hopefully one of the hosts (the other host no longer desired to continue the podcast) will cover the new information.

If Anthonette is still out there then something has to be done to bring her home to her remaining family!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back