GUILTY NM - Ariel Ulibarri, 23, brutally murdered in Clovis park, 9 Nov 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_26993058/persons-interest-clovis-murder-found

Authorities say 22-year-old Lloyd Bagwell and 20-year-old Shannon Buckmaster were located Friday afternoon thanks to an anonymous tip.

Police say neither is considered a suspect in the slaying of 23-year-old Ariel Ulibarri. But investigators believe they have relevant information.

However, Buckmaster will be booked into a Curry County detention facility for outstanding arrest warrants for probation absconding and drug possession.

https://www.facebook.com/ClovisPolice/photos/a.210704749052764.42095.210028569120382/595284160594819/?type=1

An interview was conducted, search warrants were completed and the investigation led to the identity of 25 year-old Matthew P. Jennings of Clovis, NM , as the perpetrator of this crime.

Mr. Jennings was taken into custody from the Curry County Adult Detention Center on Tuesday, December 2, 2014 at about 4:00 PM, where he was being held on unrelated charges to the homicide.

Mr. Jennings acknowledged his participation in the homicide of Ms. Ariel Ulibarri as the stabber and gave a confession as to her murder.

An arrest warrant is being completed and will be served on Mr. Jennings. He will be charged with an open count of 1st Degree Murder and Tampering with Evidence.

Wonder if the victim knew the murderers?

RIP Ariel. A horrible crime...

Wow, aside from the useless death of a beautiful and good young mother, my question is why?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-new-mexico-man-says-he-was-asked-to-kill-woman/

Accused killer Matthew Jennings told authorities someone wanted revenge against Ariel Ulibarri, but did not say who...

Police say in the complaint that when officers went to Jennings' home, they found it "booby trapped" with ropes apparently left to trip anyone attempting to approach the residence.

According to the complaint, Jennings admitted to swinging the knife as hard as he could into Ulibarri's chest. Before striking her, he said she told him, "Don't do it, don't do it, because I have an older brother who will kick your (expletive)."

I tend to think Jennings was on a killing spree of his own making. Especially since they found a bobby trapping ropes at his home. First he murdered because he had a bad day, but now he killed for someone else, but he can't say who that is.

http://www.cnjonline.com/2015/01/06/man-accused-in-slaying-of-young-mother-pleads-not-guilty/

The man accused of repeatedly stabbing and killing young mother Ariel Ulibarri as she walked in a Clovis park pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder...

Tatum told District Attorney Andrea Reeb he had an opening for a jury trial in about two weeks. Reeb, however, noted forensic evidence necessary to the case wouldn’t be returned from the state lab for at least six months. Evidence being tested by the state forensic lab include clothing items, Reeb said...

Jennings told investigators “Ariel came out of nowhere and yelled some weird words at him and made a quick action which caused him to become very angry and offended so he stabbed her multiple times in her chest,” according to court records... “Jennings talked about how he was swinging the knife as hard as he could because he wanted her to die,” the complaint said.

From last month:

The pain of loss was still evident Monday night, as songs were played and words were spoken to honor Ariel Ulibarri. Tears were shed among those who attended, from the young to the old...

Montano said she hopes everyone remembers her sister’s kindness — despite her tendency to be a “firecracker,” she added, laughing — and hopes that justice can be brought soon...

District Attorney Andrea Reeb said Jennings’ trial is tentatively set for June 6-10.

From June:

Trial postponed in 2014 stabbing

http://cnjonline.com/2016/06/08/trial-postponed-in-2014-stabbing/

This week was planned to hold the trial of a man accused of stabbing to death a young Clovis mother in 2014 at Goodwin Lake Walking Trails Park.

Instead, Matthew Jennings will remain under evaluation in Las Vegas, New Mexico, as the state Department of Corrections continues to determine if he is competent to stand trial for the death of 23-year-old Ariel Ulibarri.

The trial has been rescheduled to December, District Attorney Andrea Reeb said.

“At this point, the defendant is still being treated for competency,” Reeb said. “We’ve received a 90-day report that says they’re progressing. We should receive a final report in the next 90 days.”

“Tentatively,” Reeb said, “we have (plans for a December trial). I don’t see any reason those dates wouldn’t go unless he was found not competent. In that case, we’d take a different route.”

Competency of man accused of Clovis murder in question

http://krqe.com/2016/11/29/competency-of-man-accused-of-clovis-murder-in-question/

Jennings was ruled incompetent to stand trial earlier this year, but now prosecutors argue that he has become competent and they wanted to take him to trial next week.

“We’re really anxious to get it done. We’re really prepared and ready to go. The family is ready to get this case behind them so that they can start having some closure,” said Andrea Reeb, 9th Judicial District Attorney.

The defense continues to argue that Jennings is not competent. A judge held a hearing on the issue Monday and has continued the case until April so he can make a decision.

Man accused in 2014 stabbing death found competent

http://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/story/2017/02/16/news/man-accused-in-2014-stabbing-death-found-competent/150899.html

District Judge Drew Tatum on Wednesday issued the order the day after hearing testimony and reviewing exhibits of evidence in the case against Matthew Jennings.

Jennings is accused of stabbing to death Ariel Ulibarri on Nov. 9, 2014, at Goodwin Trails Park in Clovis.

“(T)he defendant sufficiently understands the roles of courtroom participants, the facts surrounding his charges, the maximum exposure he faces if convicted on the charges, his constitutional rights and the role of his attorney in defending him in trial,” the judge’s order reads.

“This court further finds the defendant to have a factual and rational understanding of the charges and proceedings, and he possesses sufficient ability to assist his attorney in his own defense.”

District Attorney Andrea Reeb said the trial is scheduled for April.

Defendant expected to take deal in Ulibarri slaying

http://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/story/2017/03/09/news/defendant-expected-to-take-deal-in-ulibarri-slaying/151274.html

In four weeks, a nightmare of more than two years is expected to see a closing of sorts for family of Ariel Ulibarri.

That’s when District Attorney Andrea Reeb said she expects a plea deal to be accepted by Matthew Jennings.

A motion has been filed by Stephen McIlwain, Jennings’ attorney, for a change of plea and vacation of Jennings’ April 17 trial date. In the trial’s place will be a 3 p.m. April 6 hearing before District Judge Drew Tatum.

“Honestly, it’s a big relief,” said LeAnna Montano, Ulibarri’s sister, of the two-plus years waiting for justice. “Relief isn’t really the word. It’s been a frustration, because it’s been frustrating going through this process.”

Under the expected plea agreement, Jennings would receive a life sentence — defined in New Mexico as 30 years before the possibility of parole. Had Jennings gone to trial, he would have also faced a tampering-with-evidence charge, which would have carried an additional six years.

Reeb said the plea could not be offered until Jennings was found competent to stand trial — which happened in February — and giving up the tampering charge gives the family closure while saving the state the cost of a trial.

“I’m more happy for the family than us getting it closed,” Reeb said. “In December, it was unexpectedly continued. They were upset and wanted closure.”

Man sentenced to life for stabbing death of a Clovis mom

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/man-sentenced-to-life-for-stabbing-death-of-a-clovis-mom

A Curry County Judge has sentenced a Clovis man to a mandatory life sentence for the murder of a Clovis mom.

Thursday, Curry County District Attorney Andrea Reeb said 27-year-old Matthew Jennings must serve at least 30 years before the possibility of parole for the murder of 23-year-old Ariel Ulibarri.

Jennings appeared in court Thursday afternoon pleading guilty to the brutal murder.

Family of murdered Clovis woman speaks out about sentencing

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/family-of-murdered-clovis-woman-speaks-out-about-sentencing

"It doesn't really heal," said Leanna Montano, Ulibarri's sister. "It never does heal. You just kind of cope a little bit. You kind of have to deal with it."

Montano says she misses her sister and years after her death, she is still coming to the realization that she is gone forever.

"My last image of my sister and always will be remembering the literal staples, stitches and all those things," said Montano. "It was pretty bad and it's horrible, but it's the real deal of what he did to her."

"Even just mentioning his name is not even an option for me," said Montano. "He's just a monster. He's just a creature that just hurt somebody. He's not even human to me. The only time I looked at him yesterday was whenever they showed my sister's picture and the judge told him 'I want you to look at him' and it was a picture of my little sister and I wanted to look at his response."

Montano said Jennings had a blank look on his face with no remorse. DA Reeb says it has affected the city of Clovis.

"I don't think people frequent the park as much," said Reeb. "I mean when you see that something like this can happen to a 23 year old mother, I can say I haven't been out to the park. It's affected people to be way more aware of what can happen, even in a small town."

One life lost; one life wasted

http://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/story/2017/04/09/voices/one-life-lost-one-life-wasted/151799.html

Most of her last minutes on earth were spent laughing and joking with her 6-year-old son Diego as they ran along the trail that Sunday morning at the Goodwin Lake Park.

That’s not surprising; anybody who knew Ariel Ulibarri knew her world revolved around her children.

That last morning, on Nov. 9, 2014, she was shooting video of herself and Diego as they played together in the park.

“She would video herself running, selfie herself, then show Diego,” said Andrea Reeb, the prosecutor who sought justice for Ulibarri.

The video police found on Ulibarri’s cell phone cut off just as she encountered Matthew Jennings on the trail, but he’s since told us the horrible details that followed.

He attacked her, he said, because he tried to talk to her and didn’t like her response. “He said she ‘dissed’ him, whatever that means,” Reeb said.

After he was jailed and medicated, Reeb said he was remorseful and insisted on accepting punishment for what he’d done.

His attorney told reporters he had a strong case for insanity; Jennings wanted nothing to do with it.

“My impression was that he wanted to take responsibility for it and serve his time,” Reeb said.

“I’m not sure if he was trying to save the family the pain of a trial, but that may have been (a factor).”

Throughout the two-plus years of court proceedings after Ulibarri’s death, Reeb said Jennings was “respectful, meek, quiet,” when questioned by doctors and law enforcement. “He admitted everything, in front of the entire family,” at a competency hearing, she said.

It’s hard to give Jennings credit for taking responsibility in the end, but at least the Ulibarri family was spared the stress and uncertainty of trial.

One life lost. One life wasted. A lot of lives left forever darker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back