NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope when your husband ( and the Mayor) get a chance, they will look at this case with a combination of fresh eyes and retired LE !

Yes, it would be great if some of the retired LE would look at this case. I saw today where J. Lee Cathey died. He was the Asst. DA when the girls were killed...later the DA....and he was one of them that talked with several of the suspects over the years. Now another one has died. Please Eddy County Sheriff's Department talk to the remaining individuals that are left ....this case can be solved if you would just work on it.
You still have a retired sheriff and several other individuals that can tell you stuff. You have to at least try.....

Sunshine 1950,you may be interested in this scathing letter from a father ( Buziak) who is fighting for answers about his daughter's killer..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60265&page=7
Post 168

I can understand his pain and frustration. But you can't give up on getting the cases solved. Someday the truth will come out ....maybe not in our time on this earth...but we will all know what has happened to our loved ones ....and that keeps me going. I hope and pray that Mr. Buziak has that same peace...that with the Lord's help we will know one day.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty, hoping that answers come sooner rather than later...

Another important individual has passed away this week. L. Marrs died this past weekend.
She gave important information regarding a suspect during the original investigation of Patty and Mattie's murders. My sincere condolences to her family.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty and answers...

I have been following this thread, and I just want to wish Sunshine 1950 all the best in her endeavours.

Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz....murdered August 11, 1961, bodies found on August 13, 1961. Their bodies were found 12 miles NW of Carlsbad, NM, in Eddy County. Out by the Rocky Arroyo area.
Please if anyone has information about this unsolved case ....call Capt. Jeff Zuniga, with the Eddy County Sheriff's Department.
Our family needs answers and we were so close in 2004....Please come forward and share what you know. Don't take the information to your grave.....let someone know what happened to our beloved sister's.

I was thinking that maybe someone who know something about these young girls is afraid to speak up- because they do not want to get into trouble, or shame their family.
Maybe they could send info.to Captain Zunigo anonymously, or even post here or some other site.I truly hope someone will speak up, Mattie and Patty, their family, friends, classmates and indeed, the whole of Carlsbad deserve to see this case solved.

Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz....murdered August 11, 1961, bodies found on August 13, 1961. Their bodies were found 12 miles NW of Carlsbad, NM, in Eddy County. Out by the Rocky Arroyo area.
Please if anyone has information about this unsolved case ....call Capt. Jeff Zuniga, with the Eddy County Sheriff's Department.
Our family needs answers and we were so close in 2004....Please come forward and share what you know. Don't take the information to your grave.....let someone know what happened to our beloved sister's.

Hope everyone has a blessed Easter.
I'm still waiting on Capt. Zuniga to answer my last email...which has been several months ago.
Bumping for Mattie and Patty....

Happy Easter to you and your family -hope springs eternal!

Bumping for the unsolved murder case of Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz's. If anyone has information regarding this case .....PLEASE come forward and tell what you know. God will bless you for doing the right thing.

Thinking of Mattie and Patty and the families who loved them - and hoping someone will step forward with info. to help solve this case.

Thinking of Mattie and Patty and the families who loved them - and hoping someone will step forward with info. to help solve this case.

Thank You dotr.
I've heard from Capt. Jeff Zuniga, from the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. and he says he hasn't heard from the VICAP Group about the case and that the victims families can not talk with them about the case. SO I guess this is a DEAD END as well. Please keep Mattie and Patty's unsolved murder case in the public eye so that it can be solved. All it takes is just one clue that might open it up in order to be solved. I personally want to thank all of you on Websleuths who have worked on this case....I appreciate all of you.

Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine & Patty Sue Pritz....Murdered on August 11, 1961, Carlsbad, New Mexico....Eddy County.

Please call Capt. Jeff Zuniga, with the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. or if you don't want to be known...call the Crimestoppers Organizations...they will help work on this case and get the information to the proper place.

Sunshine 1950,
I just herd about this case monday eve. my mom called to talk to me & she brought up Mattie & Patty . This was the first time I have ever been interested in something like this, Because i have wanted to be a Detective for most of my life. any way. My Mom used to live on McKay street for Yrs. & she told me that Mattie & Patty lived Behind her a couple of blocks. Mom told me the day the girls were reportedly missing & a sheriff deputy or local cop showed up at the ball field & his pants & boots were covered in blood & dirt. Mom thought this was kind of odd, Because cops allways had spit shined boots & they were allways clean. Not this cop. this has made me wander. This case should have been solved years ago. I appoligize for these officals poor efferts to do their job & do it right. please if i can help please respond here & if i need to I can get you in contact w/ my Mom. God Speed & May he Bless you & your Family

Smokin 1300

Sunshine 1950,
I just herd about this case monday eve. my mom called to talk to me & she brought up Mattie & Patty . This was the first time I have ever been interested in something like this, Because i have wanted to be a Detective for most of my life. any way. My Mom used to live on McKay street for Yrs. & she told me that Mattie & Patty lived Behind her a couple of blocks. Mom told me the day the girls were reportedly missing & a sheriff deputy or local cop showed up at the ball field & his pants & boots were covered in blood & dirt. Mom thought this was kind of odd, Because cops allways had spit shined boots & they were allways clean. Not this cop. this has made me wander. This case should have been solved years ago. I appoligize for these officals poor efferts to do their job & do it right. please if i can help please respond here & if i need to I can get you in contact w/ my Mom. God Speed & May he Bless you & your Family

Smokin 1300
Hi Smokin 1300
Thanks for the information. I would love to know who this cop is your mother is talking about. If you could get your mother to contact me or Capt. Jeff Zuniga of the Eddy County Sheriff's dept...it might help with the case. I still would like to know what she remembers....I agree with you..most law enforcement people are real aware of how they look in their uniforms....most take pride in their appearance.
You can email or do private message on this website....
Again thanks for the information and for the prayers.

Smokin1300, thanks so much for coming on here and sharing what you know of this case!! Interesting user name too!
Mattie and Patty will not and must not be forgotten, so please anyone who knows something, or remembers something about this case step right up,every bit helps!

Sunshine 1950, I have been reading this thead for over a year now. I hope that this case is solved soon. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

On the evening of Friday, August 11, 1961, Mattie Catherine Restine (13) and Patty Sue Pritz (14) went missing as they walked home from the "The Beach" area of Carlsbad, New Mexico. 36 hours later, their bodies were found by two rabbit hunters 12 miles northwest of town by Rocky Arroyo which is near Highway 137. The two had been shot in the head and sexually assaulted. A full scale investigation involving the New Mexico State Police, the FBI, the Eddy County Sheriff's Office (ECSO), and the Carlsbad Police Department was launched. No arrests were made and eventually the case went cold.

In January 2003, Investigator Jim Estrada of ECSO reopened the case. The New Mexico Media was reporting in October of that year that the 42 year old murder mystery was about to be solved. But by 2005, Estrada had retired and the case went cold for a second time. Now 48 years later, it still remains unsolved.

Anne Restine Self of Stigler, Oklahoma was 10 years old at the time of her sister's homicide. Almost single-handedly, she has kept the case alive in the Carlsbad and New Mexico public media. She has pressured the ECSO to investigate four suspects (all deceased) which she thinks may be responsible for the crime. Ann would like the DNA which was extracted from the girls clothing to be compared to the suspects (some of whose family members are willing to provide samples).

The Mattie/Patty murders is one of the most troubling cold cases in the nation. It involves the abduction, rape, and murder of two young teenage girls. There are rumors of a cover-up by law enforcement due to the suspects being "connected" to community leaders. One of the deputies, Dan McGrew, investigating the case died suddenly shortly afterwards. It was ruled a suicide, but some information indicates his death was a homicide. Either way, at least three deaths are directly linked.
Original post by Tom Beyer, thread #1, post #1

Thought I ought to bring this post over as it sums up this difficult case in a nutshell.
truly, this is every parent's worst nightmare and we all need to know what exactly happened and why- but most importantly WHO DID THIS?!

Bumping for two young girls, who simply wanted to enjoy a swim on a summer's day -August 11 1961 - Patty Pritz and Mattie Restine -

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemc
Back