NM NM - Steven Teran, 26, & four children, ages 2-13, Las Cruces, 10 Feb 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Watched the documentary today. Well worth the rental fee. The main thing that stuck with me was there were 2 guys out at the side/back of the property. They watched the owners son run in there and back out without having to knock or lock/unlock anything. The crime happened very shortly thereafter. The two guys must have had guns on them already, perhaps (1 theory) they were making their way across Texas/New Mexico doing crash-cash-shoot jobs. Perhaps they were in between jobs in Las Cruces, or even casing the place. But when they saw there were no locks, perhaps they impulsively decided to rob it without casing it, which is one reason they missed a lot of cash, plus the number of people inside threw them. Who was inside made no matter, because they shoot the people no matter what. Perhaps they were expecting only a bookkeeper or two. But once they were inside, their agreement was to leave no witnesses or survivors, no exceptions.
The other thing I thought was they were on foot when they were seen by the son. Afterwards, they thought the fire department and police would respond in maybe 30 minutes and knew they had to be off the streets before then. After a certain amount of time, leave town, never return. They would have been fools to be on the roads or highways in New Mexico or an adjoining state that weekend. JMO. Very moving story. Have your kleenexes nearby. Very well done but I disliked the part where the documentarian implied via questioning that the personality of the owner and whether people liked him or not was a motive. This crime was too horrific for that. The guy's kids helped run it and he seemed to be at least semi-retired at that time. He was rarely at the business.

What caught my attention the most was Ida Holguin, one of the survivors. She swore she saw these two at the alley prior to this incident and she also mentioned they were looking for something in particular that morning. Maybe drugs or something else. It's possible this was a random robbery but this looks like a hit job and the detectives working the case have also stated they believe this was a professional hit. The fact that they killed two young children in cold blood tells me they weren't just robbers. The documentary was hard to watch at times because it was very disturbing, I've watched it twice, but I'm glad it was done because anything to generate leads at this point is worth it.

“The Las Cruces Police Department is continuing its investigation into this case and aggressively follows new leads as they come in,” said Las Cruces Police Chief Jaime Montoya. “Anyone who has information relevant to this case – no matter how insignificant that information may appear to be – is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or the Criminal Investigative Section at 575-528-4222.”

At the time of the incident, the older suspect was said to be in his late 30s or early 40s, about 5 feet 5 inches tall with a medium build weighing between 160 and 180 pounds.

Detective Amador Martinez has been in charge of the case for more than a year. He told KFOX14, “I talked to people throughout my course of duty and they bring up of the bowling alley so it’s still on the memory and minds of people.” He also said it's not a cold case because he continues to investigate leads.
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features...nder-investigation-25-years-later-77187.shtml

It baffles me how these ****s are still free 26 years later, assuming they're still alive. Seems like they are no closer to solving this case than they were 26 years ago.

I just learned about this recently. My brother had just moved down there a few months after it happened. The town was really shook up over this for quite a while. I searched for the documentary, "A Nightmare in Las Cruces", and finally found it. That is probably the best way to get caught up on the details.

Charlie Minn did a great job, it's really a documentary worth to watch.

A 2 year old girl shot in the head while the killer looked her right in the eyes... how much more evil can it get??And the other 3 girls, all so young and innocent. This really breaks my heart.:(

I think the killers came looking for drugs, or at least it had to do with drugs. I don't believe the owner of the bowling alley at all when he claims he knows nothing about it, I think he does know why this happened. And I think the police thinks so too. But they can't prove it unfortunately. I am glad though that they tried real hard to solve it. And they still can. They just need that one person with a conscience to finally talk.

Today makes it officially 29 years. I have a feeling this will go down with other cases that will probably never get solved and we will never know the real reason why they did what they did and whether this was a targeted location or did they just pick this place at random. This case is definitely on my bucket list of cases I would like to see a resolution to.

From link..
crh4-e1628277598996.jpg

Victims of the Las Cruces Bowling Alley Massacre. Still unsolved 31 years later. Photo by HANDOUT /LAC CRUCES POLICE

''The bowling alley office resembled a slaughterhouse.
Seven shot. Four dead. Kids included.''
''After the shooting, the killers walked away with between $5,000 and $6,000 but not before setting the doomed bowling alley ablaze.''

“I can almost guarantee that those two guys are dead. By their lifestyle, because if you can shoot a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old in the forehead, you can do anything. You can do anything. Nothing’s going to bother you,” Teran’s brother Anthony told the Las Cruces Sun News.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back