NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy, I'd been able to access the family's website before -I think it was called "For Steven" and the address was "forsteven.com" or something. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be public. What would be the point? I thought that it was to help people find him, but perhaps it's more of a memorial? Odd. One case that I haven't really followed, but know about, is the Jennifer Kesse case. She's a 20-something woman who disappeared in Orlando a few days before we moved there (about five years ago) and has never been found. Her family keeps a website with all information related to her case, which isn't much though, unfortunately.

Her case was interesting to me from the beginning, in that within a couple days of her going missing there were fliers with her photo on them EVERYWHERE. When I say everywhere, I'm not exaggerating. Every single intersection, every single business had at least one photo of her. Very shortly after she went missing there were billboards with her photo on them. There were also people handing out fliers at busy intersections. In the greater Orlando area, you couldn't step out your front door without seeing Jennifer Kesse fliers. This was still going strong four months later when we moved from the area. I know the woman's face by heart, and it's five years later and I now live in NY! Anyway, I do know that her employer was a wealthy person and I'm sure contributed to some of the search effort (and immediately offered a reward) but it's amazing how different that case was from Steven's.

Perhaps it's just that she was a vivacious, young woman with a lot of friends, but even five years later, they keep that website going all the time -writing about every little communication with the PI/LE, etc. Her father is now on Websleuths, trying to keep interest up and spur on ideas, etc.

I can't even FIND Stever's website.

Okay, enough said.

Is SK still in NCIC as missing?

Believe, I just checked the NCIC website and I don't see his name, although I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place. I'm new to this and haven't even used that site. What I did see was a page with about 60 missing people listed, with photos beside their names. Is this the right place? Anyway, as I said, I didn't see SK there. ??

Is SK still in NCIC as missing?

We can't check that ourselves, right?

NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

Fairy, I'd been able to access the family's website before -I think it was called "For Steven" and the address was "forsteven.com" or something. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be public. What would be the point? I thought that it was to help people find him, but perhaps it's more of a memorial? Odd. One case that I haven't really followed, but know about, is the Jennifer Kesse case. She's a 20-something woman who disappeared in Orlando a few days before we moved there (about five years ago) and has never been found. Her family keeps a website with all information related to her case, which isn't much though, unfortunately.

Her case was interesting to me from the beginning, in that within a couple days of her going missing there were fliers with her photo on them EVERYWHERE. When I say everywhere, I'm not exaggerating. Every single intersection, every single business had at least one photo of her. Very shortly after she went missing there were billboards with her photo on them. There were also people handing out fliers at busy intersections. In the greater Orlando area, you couldn't step out your front door without seeing Jennifer Kesse fliers. This was still going strong four months later when we moved from the area. I know the woman's face by heart, and it's five years later and I now live in NY! Anyway, I do know that her employer was a wealthy person and I'm sure contributed to some of the search effort (and immediately offered a reward) but it's amazing how different that case was from Steven's.

Perhaps it's just that she was a vivacious, young woman with a lot of friends, but even five years later, they keep that website going all the time -writing about every little communication with the PI/LE, etc. Her father is now on Websleuths, trying to keep interest up and spur on ideas, etc.

I can't even FIND Stever's website.

Okay, enough said.

Not sure about the website, but the Facebook setup for him is still up and running (Help Us Find Steven Koecher).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=225335012614&v=wall

Thank you, laytonian.

I'm sorry to hear the family has had to deal with so much BS. It seems impossible for some people to understand that having a beloved family member go missing is very painful and should not be made into some ridiculous game for people who have nothing better to do but add to the torture.

Everyone is welcome to post on this thread, everyone is entitled to an opinion on Steven's disappearance and certainly everyone is entitled to respect regarding their insights and opinions. I took down a series of posts that did not challenge the post not the poster, challenge the idea not the poster, and did not propel thoughts regarding Steven's disappearance forward.

This is about Steven Koecher and we can learn from both new and seasoned posters on this thread. :hug:

We can't check that ourselves, right?

NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

Thanks, Cloudajo. I am very much a newbie to "sleuthing" and I'm just learning about things such as NCIC and NAMUS. One thing that confused me about NCIC is that the site does have some photos/names up on the missing persons page -about 60 or so but, obviously, there are many more than 60 missing people out there! What I understand right now is that NAMUS is more oriented toward us "general public" types?

Also, a clarification on an earlier post I made about the lack of information/fliers, communication, etc. available on Sk: I wasn't meaning to imply anything about the family (I often look back at my clumsily worded posts and think "I hope the family doesn't see that!) but that there are some real differences with how this case has been handled by both LE and the family, friends, etc. There is likely more than one reason for this, but it's always been an indication for me that perhaps points to more of a possibility of suicide/voluntary disappearance. I guess it's just something I put into the category of "not evidence, but suggestive of, a non-foul play circumstance.) Having said that, it's very difficult to imagine such a complete disappearance.

A couple reasons; when he spoke to GW, he offered to turn around and go back to St. George. I don' think he would have done that if there was a badly needed job at stake.

And, I believe whatever led Steven to SCA began in St. George, with a person.

Fairy, I had to smile at that first paragraph. We, including you, have been all over that one, haven't we? So, my point being here that we really don't know that, do we? -I don't generally do smiley faces, but this would be a good place to put a big one!

I like the term "complete disappearance" friday. I think most disappearances are complete ones fwiw.

The suicide thing-I am still unsure how or why you would take your own life and prevent yourself from being found. Never say never of course...

Fairy, I had to smile at that first paragraph. We, including you, have been all over that one, haven't we? So, my point being here that we really don't know that, do we? -I don't generally do smiley faces, but this would be a good place to put a big one!

No, we don't know. It's nothing more than speculation based on what is logical to me. :)

Another thing that occurs to me relating to Steven's willingness to turn around and go back to St. George; perhaps he wasn't enthusiastic about his reasons for coming here and was just waiting for any excuse to abandon his plan. That doesn't say job interview to me, either.

I like the term "complete disappearance" friday. I think most disappearances are complete ones fwiw.

The suicide thing-I am still unsure how or why you would take your own life and prevent yourself from being found. Never say never of course...

I know, sounds silly. However, I guess what I mean by "complete" is that he's been gone so long with no sign of him. I'd think that by now, should he have just walked away from his life, there would be someone who'd recognize him, or some activity associated w/ his ss#, etc. Also, one of the things that I've always wondered about is how often a person does take his own life and does so in a way so that his/her body isn't found. The only reason I even see it as a possibility is that I'm aware of another missing person case where it seems the family thinks that suicide is a likely possibility, but they can't find her body.

I mentioned this question of mine in a post quite a while ago; I guess I thought someone here may have some opinions or knowledge about such a circumstance, but I haven't seen anything. Perhaps I'll roll up my sleeves and poke around the internet a little, looking into that type of a scenario.

I know, sounds silly. However, I guess what I mean by "complete" is that he's been gone so long with no sign of him. I'd think that by now, should he have just walked away from his life, there would be someone who'd recognize him, or some activity associated w/ his ss#, etc. Also, one of the things that I've always wondered about is how often a person does take his own life and does so in a way so that his/her body isn't found. The only reason I even see it as a possibility is that I'm aware of another missing person case where it seems the family thinks that suicide is a likely possibility, but they can't find her body.

I mentioned this question of mine in a post quite a while ago; I guess I thought someone here may have some opinions or knowledge about such a circumstance, but I haven't seen anything. Perhaps I'll roll up my sleeves and poke around the internet a little, looking into that type of a scenario.

It definitely does happen. There have been cases where remains were found years after a person went missing - and often quite near to where they were last seen. The difference I have noted is that in the majority of those cases, the missing person was known to be depressed or despondent, so suicide would likely have been the logical conclusion to those left behind.

With Steven, no one KNOWS if he was depressed or despondent. We see it as a possibility simply because we find the circumstances of his life just prior difficult or depressing. That doesn't mean Steven did. He is said to be a positive, spiritual, upbeat person. While even people who posses those traits can become depressed or despondent, we can't say Steven was one of them. He may have been very optimistic about his future and felt he was headed in the right direction.

Again, more speculation. Without the benefit of hindsight, we just don't know the value of it.

It definitely does happen. There have been cases where remains were found years after a person went missing - and often quite near to where they were last seen. The difference I have noted is that in the majority of those cases, the missing person was known to be depressed or despondent, so suicide would likely have been the logical conclusion to those left behind.

With Steven, no one KNOWS if he was depressed or despondent. We see it as a possibility simply because we find the circumstances of his life just prior difficult or depressing. That doesn't mean Steven did. He is said to be a positive, spiritual, upbeat person. While even people who posses those traits can become depressed or despondent, we can't say Steven was one of them. He may have been very optimistic about his future and felt he was headed in the right direction.

Again, more speculation. Without the benefit of hindsight, we just don't know the value of it.

Anyone have any data on people who run away, commit suicide and do so in a manner indicating they never wanted to be found? Suicides without leaving a note?
What would be the idea of not wanting to be found, since isn't it said suicides are a "cry for help"?

I think young men have one of the highest suicide rates. And, it can be like a needle in a haystack finding someone. As an example, a person could leave one area without anyone knowing, go to another town in another state, commit suicide and wind up in a morgue for months/years. Unless someone in that town was to recognize the person and/or the medical examiner puts the DNA info into a national database -- which can take a while I think -- it's very possible that a person can go unidentified for a long time.

Think about that young man who was found hanging in a hotel room in Washington state. They still don't know who he is and it's been -- ten years I think.

None of us could figure out who "Mall Man" was in Minnesota, and it turned out to be a young man missing from a nearby town. The case was publicized, but -- I guess his family/friends never saw that publicity.

I am praying that if he committed suicide and isn't in a morgue somewhere that his remains will be stumbled upon some day. I mean, we can't even find Maura Murray, Suzanne Lyall, Mike Negrete, Josh Guimond, and so countless others.

I think Steve was a lost soul who was having trouble finding his niche in life. Every time I see his picture my heart aches for him. He seems like such a nice person -- why did he feel compelled to leave his job -- what was he looking for, I wonder?

No, we don't know. It's nothing more than speculation based on what is logical to me. :)

Another thing that occurs to me relating to Steven's willingness to turn around and go back to St. George; perhaps he wasn't enthusiastic about his reasons for coming here and was just waiting for any excuse to abandon his plan. That doesn't say job interview to me, either.

I was thinking maybe Steven was typically eager to please GW, the president. I wonder if he covered for him with other church responsibilities in the past.

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting on this captivating website. I came across the site after I googled Steven Koecher for his unfortunate and touching story of his disappearance. The way I came across Steven Koecher was by watching his case being profiled on the TV show "Disappeared" this past Sunday night (I think it was Sunday). I was intrigued by his mysterious disappearance, and because I had several questions the show failed to answer, I tried looking for more information online. Unfortunately the websites I visited (Charley Project, Project Jason, various news articles) that list his case answered only some of my questions. I wish I had the time to read through the thousands of posts on this site regarding Steven's disappearance. Before I ask my questions would someone please post a link or two to some informative sites that list all the known information about this case? A timeline with dates and times depicting Steven's whereabouts and activities during the last few days before he vanished would be very helpful, and so would any information about what the investigation has found out since December 13th, 2009, such as where and when the searches for Steven took place and what was discoverer? What were the findings during the search of Steven's abandoned vehicle? Before I post my questions I would like to get as many of them answered from those links so I don't need to waste anyone's time answering what was asked and addressed multiple times.

Thank you for understanding,

MarioM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members