NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons I believe that the "gay" angle came to be is that many pages ago on this thread it was discovered that there was a meeting in Henderson that week of an underground group who helped Mormons who where gay leave the church and go into hiding because they would be ostracized by the church. This group regularly meets in that area in members homes in the LV area from what I remember.

IMO all avenues should be explored when a person disappears. Because a person is of a religious faith does not mean that they did not leave on their own accord. Especially when there is no evidence of otherwise. Then again people disappear because they are victims of some heinous crime and there may not be any evidence in plain sight.

I don't know what happened to Steven and apparently the only one's who do are the perp or Steven. I would just hope that he wasn't a victim.

I don’t think anyone has an “agenda” here. Most of us on this thread have been here a very long time and him being gay and running away is just one of the many theories we have had. If we are not allowed to discuss ALL theories what is the point of us being here?

One of the reasons I believe that the "gay" angle came to be is that many pages ago on this thread it was discovered that there was a meeting in Henderson that week of an underground group who helped Mormons who where gay leave the church and go into hiding because they would be ostracized by the church. This group regularly meets in that area in members homes in the LV area from what I remember.

Wow, i never knew about the meeting information. :eek:hwow: Has anyone explored the gay scene in Las Vegas?

Straight Mormons get married and they usually do so by their early 20's.

Here this guy could never find the right girl.

Also the family kept lots of things mum. Helpful when trying to keep up appearances. Not at all helpful if you are really trying to find someone.

It's been a long time since I posted here and nothing has changed my original hypothesis. That was that Steven was gay, met up with another guy, possibly older and ex-Mormon, and he decided to leave the whole thing behind.

The boyfriend who I had nicknamed Big Daddy Warbucks, was familiar with the retirement community and had instructed Steven to park by the cul de sac as people get very proprietary about strangers parking in front of their houses. I don't know about what percentage of the community attends church, but noon time on a Sunday it was likely that fewer people would be home. Steve walked over a block or two and met BDW in a waiting vehicle and drove off.

They went to the eastern part of town, had dinner, stayed at a hotel or motel, and drove off the next morning to wherever BDW resides, pitching his cell phone in the process.

Makes perfect sense to me.

But why wouldn't they abandon his car somewhere more...I guess, apt, for abandoning? Like a Walmart parking lot. For instance? Leaving it in a subdivision that has no ties to Steven seems so bizarre. If there IS a BDW, I believe he had ties to the subdivision - otherwise he wouldn't have instructed parking there. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello All,

Im new here. Posted this on Susan Powell's thread by mistake. Hope I do this right.

Just wanted to post my thoughts on this

Theory #1 Suicide
1) Read somewhere that he had some anxiety and taking medication for it. (Please correct me if Im wrong)
2) He was single, broke, and without a job at the worst possible time (Christmas Holidays)
3) He was a devout mormon, loved his family and to him not knowing where he is, is better than knowing that he ended his life.
4) The lyrics he wrote to song felt like this, depressing. He could have written this song at a time when depression began, and perhaps it just got worse.
5) He was proud. He would not cash his grandma's check, or use money family put in his bank account. He may have been embarrassed that he didnt have a job, he didnt have a girlfriend, etc He was behind on rent, holidays are near, and this is supposed to be a happy time, but you barely have money to feed your self. so he would probably go into a very secluded area, like the desert, mountains, a place he's hiked before & end it, not wanting anyone to ever know what he did.
6)Why leave his car at Sun city if he committed suicide?To throw us off. He obviously had some cash on him so maybe he got a ride somewhere, or he walked. He checked his voicemail right before he walked away to the mountains or desert, or left his phone far from where he planned to end it to throw us off again.
7)And maybe suicide was in the back of his mind for some time, at one point he thought it all the way through, he obviously talked himself out of it trying to be optimistic gift shopping, going to Sun City for job opportunity & maybe it was no longer available. &maybe it was ALL just too much.
8) At the very beginning of his disappearance his very own mother's first thought was suicide. Of course she took it back for the sake of the family and for the sake of her own sanity. I would.

Theory #2 Ran into wrong people at wrong time via craiglist or another outlet: At first I thought this theory was crazy but then the mcstays happened.
1) Went to Sun City Anthem due to a job opportunity, but like many have posted before he saw something he wasnt supposed to see, or whatever. And someone did away with him.
And sometime during this, the pings happened about 1650(nearly five hours after surveillance sighting) on a tower near Arroyo Grande Boulevard and American Pacific Drive, miles to the north of where his car was abandoned.
Then 12/13/2009 about 1850 (about 2 hours later) cell phone ping picked up on a tower in Whitney Ranch, a Henderson subdivision near Sunset Drive and Stephanie Street.

I like the following theory the best because it gives us hope that he may be alive: Theory #3 Lost.
1)Read somewhere that he would be in a middle of a sentence then just stop and stare, or take an unusual long pause. Perhaps he had an undiagnosed seizure disorder, or perhaps an AVM(anterior venous malformation) of the brain, or other neuro disorder. Usually patients start a seizure by staring, then seizure gradually gets worse. If it was a ruptured AVM depending on the severity he would of died instantly(but SK's on NAMUS so he would have been identified already).

Or after the ruptured AVM some patients have to learn everything again, walk, eat, talk, etc. And sometimes their long term memory is completely wiped out. So maybe he's a John Doe somewhere.

2) or maybe he was in some type of accident, a car ran him over while walking etc, and he's a John Doe somewhere. I Think I read somewhere that he left his identification behind. If not maybe he got mugged, and beaten thats why he didnt have ID on him.

Theory #4 Walked away on his own& lives underground or is homeless.
1)maybe he had a severe panic attack and didnt want to be a part of this society & went underground or is homeless somewhere. If someone never wants to be found being homeless is the way to go d/t no paper trail(banks, ss#'s, etc)

Been hanging around websleuth for some time and those are my theories. Have to start an intense Masters degree online program and this is something I had to do before I was all consumed with homework for the next 2 years. Of course I hope SK is alive. To Steven Koecher's family: There are total strangers that hope & pray that Steven is alive and well. God bless everyone here for the wonderful information and theories.

Perhaps someone has to really dig deep.
Run a complete cell phone history(at least since his breakup in 2008) to get a general pattern of his calls.
Do complete bank history(at least 1 year).
Do a complete history of his life, what was he like in high school, college, etc,
How many serious relationships had he had in his life, what was he like in those relationships, what about a best friend?
did he have any medical conditions, learning difficulties, undiagnosed depression, or psychosis?
What was he like as an employee? We know he was a journalist for some online type thing but then he got laid off. Then he worked for match.bin & his employer let him go. He did random roadie work for RoxDox. What about previous employment? When did he get his first job, what was the longest he ever worked for someone? What was it like working with him?

If you really really want to know what happend to him, then you will really dig deep. Good luck to everyone

P.S. sorry for typos, have missing keys, lol.

Oh and theory #5
Maybe his former roomie knows something or is involved in someway. Do a complete history on him too.

I hate to ask, but where can I find this post? I've never heard of this group.

Thank you for your insight on this!
What you're saying makes me wonder more about that comment on the post mormon thread for the 11/15/09 meet up. Someone had asked where it was going to be held and they commented back that the location would not be posted on there but they could send an email to them and they would send the info back. Very strange, because I didnt see this on any other meet up threads for other dates.

BTW, there is a meet up group in St George also but members seem to prefer posting on the LV threads because there is not as much activity on the SG threads according to some of the posts I read on there. You can go to their website and search for Las Vegas in the search window and find the posts FYI. Anyways, I wonder if they prefer to post on LV because SG is in Utah and they where afraid of being discovered. Just a thought.

post mormon group

I received an email today from another WS member that directed me to a website called postmoron and a post on their forum regarding meetings in Las Vegas. Apparently this group is for people who have left or want to leave the Moron church, ironically they had a meeting at a secret location (a members house) in Las Vegas Nov 15th 2009. No posts for a meeting in December. Looking through some other posts now. Interesting stuff mostly about how these former members feel "free" and that they "escaped" the church but dont know if they're ever really free from the church and their families.

Thank you for the link!

I wonder where SK was on Nov 15th 2009 just weeks before he disappeared. Did he attend this meeting? Is this why he went on the long drive and visited the former gf parents in N. Nevada? He wanted to make sure he wanted to leave the church and knew it meant leaving his family too?? This would make sense why he left the car there, a safe neighborhood near where one of these postmormon members lived or could pick him up. This scenario actually makes sense to me.

another post about it

Edit- see if this link works. It is the page on this thread where we where discussing this possibility http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...21&p=7956952&highlight=postmormon#post7956952

Before I say what I want to say, all of you should know, when Steven disappeared I lived within two miles of where his car was found. I drove down the street where he was last seen many times. I took part in a search party in April 2010. And I was one of the early posters on this thread going way back to January of 2010--although I went by a little bit different username at the time. This is the first time I've frequented this story in a long time, probably because I haven't lived in Vegas since 2011. In addition, I was one of the first people to get to see Steven's cell phone records from the day before and the day of his disapearance. And I should say: Reading back several pages on this current thread brings back a lot of memories from when Steven disappeared--it's like it's November 2009 all over again.

For me, even though I haven't taken part in this discussion in a long time, something still sticks out to me 5 yrs later: No directions were ever found in his car. And Steven didn't have GPS. Nor did he own a fancy phone with GPS--they weren't as common then as they are now. Plus, no detailed map of Las Vegas or Henderson was found in his car as far as we know. I mean, you can't go somewhere if you don't know where you're going.

And for those who believe he was walking out on his life--if he wanted to do that, he was walking the wrong direction. The way he went loops around back to the main road, and it's the long way around. Plus, he couldn't cut between the houses on that street because there's a popular golf course behind them--you can't disappear by putting yourself out in the open where many golfers would see you.

The next part takes some logical progressions so bare with me . . . And this is all predicated on the fact that Steven didn't pick a random street to park on.

So, how did he get to that location? Either he had the directions written down and he took them with him when he got out of the car OR somebody later went out to his car and took them out to cover-up evidence (frankly). The only problem with this is there is no record of him talking to anyone from the Vegas area on his cellphone--no one. In fact, all of the conversations on his phone were with people he knew, all from the general Salt Lake City/St. George area. Unless one of them gave him that address . . . I suppose it's possible. But then, a friend of his got him caught up in something that caused Steven to disappear? Interesting . . .

Maybe he got the directions texted to him, so he had no need to write them down? Very possible. But for someone to do that, the person would need Steven's #. How did that person get his number? Moreover, if this is a person who intended some harm to come to Steven OR was helping him "escape his life", wouldn't texting Steven leave an electronic trail that an investigator might just happen upon? That seems like a HUGE loose end.

Email? Steven's computer was searched--nothing. Twitter--Steven didn't use it and it wasn't popular at the time. Facebook--I think this would fall under the search of the computer. Payphone--once again, how did Steven get the # he was supposed to call? Or, how did the person know which payphone to call?

I guess what I'm saying is there is only one logical way Steven got to that address on that street: The entire case starts with Steven interacting with someone in person. It's the only way Steven and whoever else would know each other's information regarding how to communicate an address.

That means the interaction occurred in Utah, since he had never been to Vegas before. That means the entire disappearance starts in Utah, one way or the other. Yes, ultimately, Steven disappeared in Las Vegas. But it was a connection he had in Utah that led him to Nevada--it's the only thing that makes sense. I should also note that nothing in Steven's cell phone records showed him talking to anyone in Vegas as he approached that street that Sunday--so it wasn't like someone was giving him directions as he drove.

All of this is the reason I still believe almost 5 years later that the directions are the key: How did he get them and who gave them to him--because he didn't end up on the street randomly. Why? Because if Steven truly, truly wanted to leave his life, he could've parked in any hotel parking lot and it would've taken weeks if not months to find his car--thus leaving a very, very cold trail. Or, he could've parked in the area just west of the Stratosphere and the car would've been stolen within 12 hours. If he wanted to disappear, parking in an upper class neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon, and slowly strolling away seems like the worst of all choices. Yes, if he did, he's gotten away with it for almost 5 years but he could've never predicted that before he did it--if he did it.

The other part about his disapearance is how unique it is: Seemingly normal guy travels to another state and disappears in an upper-class neighborhood in broad daylight, and nobody can figure out why he was there. I don't know of another disappearance like that in the last 5 years. So, whoever did this isn't some kind of serial killer with a consistent modus operandi. This leads me to believe the facts that led to Steven's disappearance are unique--like a one time thing. You can take from that what you will . . .

That's all I got for now. But it's been really weird thinking about this case all over again.

Oops, one more thing . . .

From just about the beginning, this case felt like some type of set-up to me. Maybe some of you are familiar with a couple of old cases in England where female real estate agents were to meet prospective buyers and then the real estate agents disappeared from the houses they were showing. And, of course, there's a recent case here in the USA from a couple weeks ago where a female real estate agent was set up by some younger guy--I don't think the agent has been found yet.

In those cases, the motive is rape then murder because the victims were women. In Steven's case, if he was set up in a similar fashion, the only motive can be for the mere thrill of it, I guess. Like a prank gone wrong or something (or gone right, I suppose). Because he wasn't anyone of any stature. He didn't have any money. He had a pretty average car. He couldn't be used in some kind of extortion because his family wasn't well-off. There was a popular rumor going way back that his landlord might've set him up but I'm not sure I believe that. Why? Because I'm about positive all the other people who rented from the landlord, who is now in jail, are still alive. Could Steven have known something or other? That seems thin, although it does fit into my hypothesis that the disappearance started in Utah.

I hate to ask, but where can I find this post? I've never heard of this group.

The way that group was described made no sense. There's no reason to go into hiding before being ostracized, or afterwards, for that matter -- once you're ostracized, the cat is out of the bag. There are certainly support groups for people who have been ostracized or who have rejected their faith, but that wasn't what was described in the post to which you responded. And I don't think that such groups have anything whatsoever to do with SK's disappearance.

Also the family kept lots of things mum. Helpful when trying to keep up appearances. Not at all helpful if you are really trying to find someone.

I thought that this was a possibility early on, but now I wonder how likely it is that someone could lay so low for so long in this day and age? Also, while I've always considered the concept of SK being an "outlier" in his social milieu of interest, I think the "married by their early 20's" is somewhat misleading: For those with four years of college plus a two year mission, which I think is common, I'd think that many aren't married until 24 -25 or so. Although SK was 30, I believe, so he's still an outlier in that arena.

I suppose the things that point to this theory is that he was still single at an age when most Mormon men have married and that he moved away from friends and family (all the while complaining about not seeing friends/family enough due to having to work nights.)

Opposing the theory would be: How could he stay hidden for so long? Also, I believe that the family has made it known via the website and, likely, other ways, that they love him unconditionally. I kind of think that that is what they were getting at.

Just some thoughts. The longer this goes on, the more likely I see a very dire outcome, unfortunately.

I thought that this was a possibility early on, but now I wonder how likely it is that someone could lay so low for so long in this day and age? Also, while I've always considered the concept of SK being an "outlier" in his social milieu of interest, I think the "married by their early 20's" is somewhat misleading: For those with four years of college plus a two year mission, which I think is common, I'd think that many aren't married until 24 -25 or so. Although SK was 30, I believe, so he's still an outlier in that arena.

I suppose the things that point to this theory is that he was still single at an age when most Mormon men have married and that he moved away from friends and family (all the while complaining about not seeing friends/family enough due to having to work nights.)

Opposing the theory would be: How could he stay hidden for so long? Also, I believe that the family has made it known via the website and, likely, other ways, that they love him unconditionally. I kind of think that that is what they were getting at.

Just some thoughts. The longer this goes on, the more likely I see a very dire outcome, unfortunately.

This article made me think of Steven, perhaps he answered some kind of ad for employment (just like the guy in the article) and was forced into drug or human trafficking. Here is the part that stood out to me:

She also said she learned a lot of "very ugly things" in recent days about living in the "mecca of human trafficking," where innocent people get pulled into ugly situations.
"And this is what I learned," she wrote, "A 19-year-old boy can answer a Craigslist ad about an in-home caregiver position with a millionaire and end up standing in a gas station parking lot four days later with a pocket full of heroin and tell his mother that he does not want to come with her and that he wants her and his best friends to stay away from him and out of his life."

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local...g-after-responding-to-craigslist-ad/17602387/

This case is very perplexing. I've followed it for several years hoping for some resolution for his friends and family. It does not sound as if his car was ever checked for evidence such as fingerprints. I'd think his call records and internet/email history could be key in identifying the who/what/why behind his reason for being in that neighborhood. Though it sounds like those records didn't shed any light. Someone out there knows something. Wish this case got more publicity/help from LE.

This is my first time posting so I hope it's ok to post this link. There is an interesting comment dated 10/4/14. The fact that the last name is pronounced "Kosher" makes me wonder if this was an inside joke because of his religious views. http://dogservant.blogspot.com/2012/10/missing-tuesday-steven-koecher.html

Before I say what I want to say, all of you should know, when Steven disappeared I lived within two miles of where his car was found. I drove down the street where he was last seen many times. I took part in a search party in April 2010. And I was one of the early posters on this thread going way back to January of 2010--although I went by a little bit different username at the time. This is the first time I've frequented this story in a long time, probably because I haven't lived in Vegas since 2011. In addition, I was one of the first people to get to see Steven's cell phone records from the day before and the day of his disapearance. And I should say: Reading back several pages on this current thread brings back a lot of memories from when Steven disappeared--it's like it's November 2009 all over again.

For me, even though I haven't taken part in this discussion in a long time, something still sticks out to me 5 yrs later: No directions were ever found in his car. And Steven didn't have GPS. Nor did he own a fancy phone with GPS--they weren't as common then as they are now. Plus, no detailed map of Las Vegas or Henderson was found in his car as far as we know. I mean, you can't go somewhere if you don't know where you're going.

And for those who believe he was walking out on his life--if he wanted to do that, he was walking the wrong direction. The way he went loops around back to the main road, and it's the long way around. Plus, he couldn't cut between the houses on that street because there's a popular golf course behind them--you can't disappear by putting yourself out in the open where many golfers would see you.

The next part takes some logical progressions so bare with me . . . And this is all predicated on the fact that Steven didn't pick a random street to park on.

So, how did he get to that location? Either he had the directions written down and he took them with him when he got out of the car OR somebody later went out to his car and took them out to cover-up evidence (frankly). The only problem with this is there is no record of him talking to anyone from the Vegas area on his cellphone--no one. In fact, all of the conversations on his phone were with people he knew, all from the general Salt Lake City/St. George area. Unless one of them gave him that address . . . I suppose it's possible. But then, a friend of his got him caught up in something that caused Steven to disappear? Interesting . . .

Maybe he got the directions texted to him, so he had no need to write them down? Very possible. But for someone to do that, the person would need Steven's #. How did that person get his number? Moreover, if this is a person who intended some harm to come to Steven OR was helping him "escape his life", wouldn't texting Steven leave an electronic trail that an investigator might just happen upon? That seems like a HUGE loose end.

Email? Steven's computer was searched--nothing. Twitter--Steven didn't use it and it wasn't popular at the time. Facebook--I think this would fall under the search of the computer. Payphone--once again, how did Steven get the # he was supposed to call? Or, how did the person know which payphone to call?

I guess what I'm saying is there is only one logical way Steven got to that address on that street: The entire case starts with Steven interacting with someone in person. It's the only way Steven and whoever else would know each other's information regarding how to communicate an address.

That means the interaction occurred in Utah, since he had never been to Vegas before. That means the entire disappearance starts in Utah, one way or the other. Yes, ultimately, Steven disappeared in Las Vegas. But it was a connection he had in Utah that led him to Nevada--it's the only thing that makes sense. I should also note that nothing in Steven's cell phone records showed him talking to anyone in Vegas as he approached that street that Sunday--so it wasn't like someone was giving him directions as he drove.

All of this is the reason I still believe almost 5 years later that the directions are the key: How did he get them and who gave them to him--because he didn't end up on the street randomly. Why? Because if Steven truly, truly wanted to leave his life, he could've parked in any hotel parking lot and it would've taken weeks if not months to find his car--thus leaving a very, very cold trail. Or, he could've parked in the area just west of the Stratosphere and the car would've been stolen within 12 hours. If he wanted to disappear, parking in an upper class neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon, and slowly strolling away seems like the worst of all choices. Yes, if he did, he's gotten away with it for almost 5 years but he could've never predicted that before he did it--if he did it.

The other part about his disapearance is how unique it is: Seemingly normal guy travels to another state and disappears in an upper-class neighborhood in broad daylight, and nobody can figure out why he was there. I don't know of another disappearance like that in the last 5 years. So, whoever did this isn't some kind of serial killer with a consistent modus operandi. This leads me to believe the facts that led to Steven's disappearance are unique--like a one time thing. You can take from that what you will . . .

That's all I got for now. But it's been really weird thinking about this case all over again.

I been on WS only sporadically lately so I'm catching up but insightful post! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member