Found Deceased NV - Sunny 'Sunni' Dicarrillo, 17, kayak found in Silver Lake, Reno, Washoe County, 17 Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
Search in Silver Lake area for missing teen

Authorities are searching for Sunny Dicarrillo, 17, reported missing on Sunday.

The Reno Police Department and Washoe County Sheriff’s Office search and rescue are searching in the area of Red Rock Road and Moya Boulevard north of Stead.

A kayak belonging to Dicarrillo was found in Silver Lake at about 2 p.m.

upload_2019-3-18_1-20-45.jpeg

This is strange. I drove by about 2:05 and there was a fire truck, a couple of motorcycle cops, a paramedic truck and a police car. When I came back about 5:15 there were a bunch more vehicles, including trailers with rafts. It was then I saw they were down by the water. Silver Lake is wide, but I would be very, very, VERY surprised if it's 5 feet deep at the lowest point. It's a intermittent lake - I think there has been water in it for about 4-5 years, after 10 of being dry. I can't imagine dragging a kayak down to the water, it isn't close to the road.

MAR 18, 2019
Authorities Continue Search for Missing Teenager in North Valleys
Authorities continued their search Monday for a teenager who was reported missing the day before near Silver Lake in North Valleys.

[...]

Because the kayak was found there, law enforcement is choosing to concentrate their search at that location. "We're not aware of Dicarrillo having any sort of a history as a runaway or any sort of situation like that," says Washoe County Sheriff's Office PIO Bob Harmon.

[...]

Article updated: Tue 2:49 PM, Mar 19, 2019
Search continues for missing teen in Silver Lake
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Team continues the search for 17-year-old Sunny Dicarrillo in a small North Valleys lake. Crews searched March 18 and returned the 19th, but no sign of him has been found since the discovery of his kayak.

[...]

Bob Harmon of the Washoe County Sheriff's Office says conditions are making the search challenging.

“It’s got a very muddy bottom," he said. "Some of the volunteers say you can sink in 6-8 inches in the mud. So there’s mud and it’s murky, but we are going to do the best that we can.”

The conditions on the lake don’t appear to be threatening, but there is another factor.

“What you don’t see looking at the lake is the water temperature,” Harmon said.

[...]

Authorities are continuing their search for a teenager who was reported missing on Sunday near Silver Lake in North Valleys.

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is assisting Reno Police in the search.

Authorities say 17-year-old Sunni Dicarrillo was last seen in the area near Red Rock Road and Moya Boulevard Saturday afternoon. He is described as 5'9" and 190 pounds, and was last seen wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans.

Dicarrillo's kayak was last seen in Silver Lake around 2:00 p.m. Sunday.

Authorities search for missing 17-year-old whose kayak was found in Silver Lake

17 years old? Sorry, but the picture looks like someone in their mid 30's.
I've seen several comments like that and my son is the same way. He JUST turned 17 this month and is often mistaken for much older because of the full facial hair. He's been mistaken twice for my husband, been offered wine samples at the grocery store. You just never know.

I was also curious about the depth of this water . . I didn't think it was very deep so I am hoping he is still out there somewhere alive.

Authorities are continuing their search for a teenager who was reported missing on Sunday near Silver Lake in North Valleys.

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is assisting Reno Police in the search.

Authorities say 17-year-old Sunni Dicarrillo was last seen in the area near Red Rock Road and Moya Boulevard Saturday afternoon. He is described as 5'9" and 190 pounds, and was last seen wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans.

Dicarrillo's kayak was last seen in Silver Lake around 2:00 p.m. Sunday.

Authorities search for missing 17-year-old whose kayak was found in Silver Lake

I noticed in that last article that his name has been misspelled. I'm alerting a mod to get the thread title corrected. His name is spelled "Sunni."

From the Mar 17 article updated Mar 21: "Earlier reports had his name spelled Sunny, but the Sheriff's Office confirms the updated spelling."

MOO

Last edited:
MAR 22, 2019
Washoe County Search and Rescue volunteers still looking for missing teen at Silver Lake
Washoe County Search and Rescue volunteers are still looking for a missing teenager, whose kayak was found floating at Silver Lake over the weekend.

[...]

The biggest challenge has been dealing with the shifty weather, the murky water, and the water temperatures, which vary from 45 to 53 degrees. Harmon said cold water emersion is a critical factor.

[...]

“Visibility is extremely limited; it’s just a matter of a few inches in some spots,” Harmon said. “There’s undergrowth in the water from weeds to sagebrush, which hampers the sonar.

“That lake isn’t a lake, it’s a dry bed,” he said, adding impeding items are sometimes thrown in there, including barbed wire.

[...]

“We tried to dive once, but because of the conditions, it’s not effective to have divers there,” Harmon said. “We may rethink that.

“We’re going to keep on.”

Man, I keep hoping for the best but it just doesn't sound good, unless he left the area and that's and entirely different set of issues potentially. You think the water's not that deep but ugggh, it doesn't take much. I can remember years ago literally stepping out of a boat as we pulled onto shore and getting stuck in mud and it's pretty powerful if it's deep enough. I had Teva's (the kind that strapped around both ends of your feet, not flip flops) on and it tore them right off my feet as I tried to free myself.

He doesn't have much of a social media presence . . . found a FB and IG but nothing indicating anything. I can't imagine how his family is feeling at this point now it's been over a week. Hoping they find him soon.

Search continues, on hold due to weather
Search continues for teen in Silver Lake

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office says the search continues for a 17-year-old boy missing since March 17. With inclement weather, search boats are off the water temporarily, but search and rescue volunteers are still on scene monitoring the water for any sign of the boy. Resumption of boats on the water will be considered Friday, March 29.

missing+sunni-Starr+McLean.jpg

MAR 29, 2019
Search continues for teen in Silver Lake
[...]

After several days of inclement weather kept search boats off the water temporarily, search crews are back on the lake March 29 with their new remote-operated vehicle, and continued searches with sonar and search dogs are expected over the weekend.

[...]

Search and Rescue has used two sonar-equipped boats as part of the search, with a sonar boat from the Nevada Department of Wildlife assisting. Search dogs that can sniff deep into the water have also been used.

[...]

New article:
Crews scaling back search for teen in Silver Lake

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is scaling back the search for a missing teen at Silver Lake.

Crews have been searching for 17-year-old Sunni Dicarrillo since March 18. The Sheriff's Office says they are no longer using sonar technology, but crews will continue to do a surface search. . . .

Remains recovered today and unidentified at this point...:(

Washoe Sheriff on Twitter
Search and Rescue volunteers from @WashoeSheriff recovered the remains of a teenage male in Silver Lake at 11:45a today. Further investigation will be conducted by @RenoPolice working with the Washoe County Regional Medical Examiners Office.
D4EJHagVUAAF4X_.jpg

2:54 PM - 13 Apr 2019

Last edited:
APR 13, 2019
Teenage Male Remains Found at Silver Lake
[...]

Washoe County Sheriff's Office tells us volunteers have been at Silver Lake every day looking for a missing boy, 17-year-old Sunni Dicarrillo, and that their presence at the Lake is the reason for finding the remains.

There is no identification of the remains, and we reached out to Reno Police Department today about the investigation but have not heard back from them.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonya702
Back