NV - Thousands stranded at Burning Man festival, rain and mud, roads closed, shelter in place, Black Rock Desert, 1 death, 2 Sept 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw a post from a Gerlach bulletin board facebook group, that the Man will NOT burn tonight!

How interesting. If they eventually burn in a few days, once it dries out, there might be hardly anyone left on playa by then. Plus then the temple too. Too bad they can't keep them up to burn next year (I just hate to think of the environmental impact of it)
I always love Sunday mornings when the Man is gone and you look straight out to the Temple. All week, the Man is how you orient yourself in the City. It feels weird and a bit melancholy on Sunday when the Man is gone and you no longer have that orientation point.

ETA for me, the Temple burn is the most significant and meaningful. All week long Burners have been celebrating the lives of lost loved ones, grieving their losses and pouring that emotion into the Temple. When it goes up in flames it's a solemn event, quiet compared to the Man burn, and I envision all the grief and prayers going up to the heavens.

An article I read was "guilt tripping" people with RV's, encouraging them to invite tent campers into their RV.
Just quoting this bit of your longer post as you/other posters might not be aware that this encouragement aligns with the core principles of Burning Man but might sound guilt trippy to an outsider. I know lots of burners and the aspects of communal care for one another is really key, I would imagine that the vast majority of people there already came with the expectation that they would share resources to others in need.
More details:
Burning Man Core Principles on their official website

ETA - 5 miles isn't that far imo, that's what, a 70-90min walk? Not exactly a day long hike, althought probably not the most pleasant in the weather conditions they're in at the moment.

Last edited:
Just quoting this bit of your longer post as you/other posters might not be aware that this encouragement aligns with the core principles of Burning Man but might sound guilt trippy to an outsider. I know lots of burners and the aspects of communal care for one another is really key, I would imagine that the vast majority of people there already came with the expectation that they would share resources to others in need.
More details:

ETA - 5 miles isn't that far imo, that's what, a 70-90min walk? Not exactly a day long hike, althought probably not the most pleasant in the weather conditions they're in at the moment.
Remember it's at elevation though. 3,950 feet. And you'd be slogging through wet playa too.

I know there is a well known member who has “My Heart’s in Black Rock City” under their name and I can’t for the life of me remember who it is. Anyone? I wonder if they’re there.
That was me :)

Seems like I lost that when the site changed a few years ago. Was it a location field in our profile?

ETA. Weird, I just checked my profile and it's still there. Don't know why it doesn't show up when I post.

I almost bought a ticket this year since I'm turning 70 in October and that was my goal timing to go again. Glad I didn't. Maybe next year!

Last edited:
Official Statement as of 6:30 p.m. (BBM)
STATEMENT:

September 3, 2023 6:30 pm
  • Despite afternoon drizzle, the conditions are improving on the playa. The roads in Black Rock City remain too wet and muddy to officially open them for Exodus on Sunday 9/3.
  • We will be opening for Exodus on Monday morning 9/4. We will inform the community as soon as we make the decision by 9am.
  • Please stay off of Gate Road – rain and mud make it impassable at the moment. We have created alternative routes that if used on Monday you will be flagged to the best area to drive across.
  • The majority of the rain has passed with partially cloudy skies, and a chance of showers and thunderstorms for the rest of the daylight hours. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms linger into the evening of Sunday 9/3. Gusty winds are still possible today and this evening. Monday 9/4 will bring clear skies, and a welcome chance to dry out.
  • The Man burn will not happen tonight, Sunday, it is now scheduled for Monday 9/4, at 9pm. The Chapel of Babel is scheduled to burn at midnight, Tuesday 9/5 (i.e. the night of Monday 9/4).
  • Do not forget the Leave No Trace and Communal Effort principles when you are leaving BRC this year. All participants are expected to pack out everything they brought in and clean their camp space before leaving the city.
  • WiFi has been made available at Center Camp and the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock plazas.
  • Mobile cell trailers have been placed around the city to help boost cellular service for participants.
  • Charging stations for public use are now placed at the Ranger Outposts and HQ at 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock, and 9 o’clock.
  • Event operations are functional and responding to evolving conditions. Our communications systems are up and running, as are our power grids.
  • Sanitation trucks are moving through the city ensuring portable toilets are functional and clean.
  • Rampart, our Advanced Life Support facility, and our contracted fire fighting provider, will remain on site for two additional days.
  • Flaggers are stationed at the 8-mile playa entrance to assist with traffic safety and vehicles departing the site.
  • Shuttle buses are running from the blacktop (CR34) to Gerlach and Reno, to assist those who choose to walk off the playa.
  • Camps are being asked to watch for leaks and spills, and to clean them up if they occur. Camps are expected to continue diligence in Leaving No Trace.
  • Please respect law enforcement if you encounter them on playa. They are here to help as we navigate through the next few days. Participants are not being detained. BLM and the Pershing County Sheriff’s Office have not issued instructions to detain people. The Burning Man organization’s advice is for participants to delay their departures to avoid getting stuck in the mud, but people are free to leave should they choose to do so.
  • If you are traveling through the Reno Airport, please note that they do not have the space or facilities to accommodate travelers needing a place to stay for periods of time while plans are sorted out. Visit their website for more information.
  • Reno hotels are aware of the rain event on the playa and are looking forward to welcoming and supporting Burning Man participants as they leave the area to go home.
  • We’re aware that this weather has impacted people’s plans, artwork, camps, and artistic vehicles. Burning Man is an extremely resilient and generous community.
  • Media inquiries go to press@burningman.org. This email address is being monitored constantly.
  • We do not expect to have to evacuate the site. However, we are in a high level of readiness due to weather uncertainty and playa conditions, to assist people on site and leaving the site as needed, as conditions evolve.
  • The online rumors of transmissible illnesses in Black Rock City are unfounded and untrue.

That was me :)

Seems like I lost that when the site changed a few years ago. Was it a location field in our profile?

ETA. Weird, I just checked my profile and it's still there. Don't know why it doesn't show up when I post.

I almost bought a ticket this year since I'm turning 70 in October and that was my goal timing to go again. Glad I didn't. Maybe next year!

I thought it was you! But when I didn’t see it there I second-guessed myself. I believe it was where it now says “For Whitney and Teghan.” It seems like I saw it more recently than a few years ago, but time flies when you’re 77 and have been here ten years. Hope you can go next year!

I thought it was you! But when I didn’t see it there I second-guessed myself. I believe it was where it now says “For Whitney and Teghan.” It seems like I saw it more recently than a few years ago, but time flies when you’re 77 and have been here ten years. Hope you can go next year!
Thanks! They're actually two separate fields in our profiles. I think the location used to be over on the top right side of our posts. Go to your account details and see if you have a location entered in that field.

Thanks! They're actually two separate fields in our profiles. I think the location used to be over on the top right side of our posts. Go to your account details and see if you have a location entered in that field.

I do have Southern Oregon as location. In order to get it to show up, I’d have to put it in “Custom Title” which goes under my name.

ETA: Voila! It worked.

More details:

I do recall in the last few years the rise of "plug and play" RV camps were causing a lot of heated debate and conflict within the community. Some were charging an exorbitant amount to basically show up and be a spectator rather than a participant. There were accounts on social media of these camps being very exclusive, requiring wristbands to enter, flaunting corporate sponsorship, treating their workers atrociously, and essentially thumbing their noses at the Ten Principles. I understand this year the Org finally cracked down on a lot of the worst offenders as they were so antithetical to the whole premise of the event.

I can easily envision these types of attendees and camps being the targets of the guilt tripping, as they should be IMVHO.

Remember it's at elevation though. 3,950 feet. And you'd be slogging through wet playa too.
Yes, as someone who walks regularly, a 5 mile walk takes longer than 70 to 90 minutes. Its more like 1 hr and 15 minutes at a fast pace to 1 hr and 45 minutes In good weather conditions. At high altitude in rainy, muddy conditions probably twice that.

Many Burning Man attendees prepare rigorously for the weeklong celebration, which takes place in a remote part of the Nevada desert.

Organizers are blunt about the location on the event’s website: “It’s one of the most strikingly beautiful and utterly ethereal locations in the world that will ever try to kill you.”

Burning Man advises attendees that “ultimately the responsibility for your personal health and safety falls to you,” part of the event’s “spirit of radical self-reliance.”

While the festival provides “essential safety infrastructure” including porta potties, ice for sale and on-site first responders, amenities are few and far between. Revelers are typically reliant on the gear they’ve brought themselves. Facilities for handwashing and showering are the responsibility of individual camps.

The festival suggests a long list of gear for each attendee, including food and beverages, an “extensive” first aid kit, warm clothing and fire extinguishers.

Additionally, “Burners,” what the event dubs attendees, should bring a “poop bucket,” especially in case rain makes porta potties inoperable. The website recommends a 5-gallon utility bucket with a lid and garbage bag liners.

One epidemiologist says the situation could turn even uglier if the revellers aren’t extradited from the festival ground quickly.

“This worries me the most. Food and water can be air dropped worst case, but lack of working port-a-potty toilets at Burning Man due to the flooding could spell complete disaster if people can’t evacuate and toilets can’t be fixed,” Eric Feigl-Ding posted on Twitter.

“Granted some have RV’s with their own toilets, but half of the 70,000 people stuck there do not. If sewage builds up, and more rain arrives to wash the raw sewage through the 70k-person makeshift city, then there could be an infectious disease disaster in a week.

“Thus, more rain Sunday means this worst-case scenario could be a reality if we don’t act fast to airlift toilets into BRC or fix the port-a-potty crisis, ASAP.”

7:52 a.m. screen capture below. Looking much better today weather-wise.

This is my favorite time of day on the playa. It's mostly quiet, people are sleepy and soft-hearted, it's the coolest part of the daylight hours. I usually walk out to the Temple every morning (about a mile from our camp) to meditate and take in all the emotion, and I journal on the Temple walls. On my last day I like to walk around the perimeter of the Temple, chanting and sending blessings by shaking rattles, chimes or bells, or drumming.

On the last day of the festival the Temple closes by around 10 a.m. so the Temple Guardians can prepare for the Temple burn that night. Most art installations are removed unless they are specifically constructed to be burned. The Guardians bring in last minute messages from Burners. The Temple is then strategically packed with small explosives and incendiary devices so it will go up in flames quickly. The whole process is beautifully quiet and respectful and reverential.Screenshot_20230904-075229_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230904-081550_Chrome.jpgThis was my first Temple in 2011. The Temple of Transition. I had several incredible magical/serendipitous experiences there. I did a lot of healing of my heart there. I still dream about it.

ETA This Temple was so tall - 120 ft - it was actually taller than the Man.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston