NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll, DT found liable re sexual assault, $5M award, countersuit dismissed, appeal rejected, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is "civil battery" and defamation. I know that she has said it is about getting her credibility back, but what did she ask for? Some amount of restitution? I do not understand what the possible result is.

Carroll is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for psychological harm, dignity loss, pain and suffering and reputation damage.

Because it's a civil trial, Trump would not be considered a criminal if the jury's verdict is in favor of Carroll, but he could be responsible for paying her millions of dollars in damages.

Key takeaways from E. Jean Carroll's civil rape trial against Trump

Why did she wait so many years to allege rape?
I cases like this I always wonder why someone waits 25 or 30
Years?
She says she only filed suit after she wrote her book and DJT denied everything and defamed her.

...but court proceedings about sexual matters are always embarassing IMO- who wants to talk about their private parts in open court? And people who have to do to divorce court or family court would probably tell you the same thing IMO...and she has said that the threats and hate mail have been awful-

Donald Trump Rape Accuser E. Jean Carroll Says She ...

1682824847440.png
Newsweek
https://www.newsweek.com › ... › Gun › Sexual assault

Jul 12, 2019 — Carroll said she has been "forced to stop looking at her social media feeds" and "had bullets loaded into the handgun in her bedroom." Best of ...

Why does the defendant in tnis case get to opt out of being present
For the trial? I dont get it- Usually jurors evaluate the plaintiff and defendant
As they sit at the table in the courtroom
IMO DJT thinks that not dignifying the accusations with his presence is the best response, but also if he did testify he could be asked a lot of Qs he would rather not answer. IMO.

but... I have these charges for the case:

battery, emotional distress, rape/sexual assault & a 2nd act of defamation.

and from the article posted by Kavya01

E. Jean Carroll sued former President Donald Trump for battery and defamation under a new New York law that allows adults alleging sexual assault to bring claims years after the attack.
Carroll filed the lawsuit Thursday, the first day that civil lawsuits can be brought under the new law, the Adult Survivors Act, which gives adults a one-year window to file a claim.

So.... no sexual assault? Then why did Carroll tell about the dressing room incident? If no sexual assault is not included in the charges?

I shall correct my notes - if someone can tell me the actual charges! :)

I believe the battery allegation is for the rape. Not sure why it's not just rape, but I'm guessing it has to do with the available civil statutes? From an article last month:

Carroll first sued Trump in 2019 for defamation over his claims that year that he had never met her and that she had invented the story in order to increase sales of her book. (The trial for that case, which is referred to as "Carroll I" in court documents, has been postponed indefinitely.)

Then, lawmakers in New York opened a temporary one-year window to allow victims of past sexual assaults to bring their old claims to court. Carroll then filed a second lawsuit, which makes a new defamation claim over his statements in 2022 and adds a battery claim for the alleged assault itself. This case, called "Carroll II," is the subject of the trial that begins this month.

E. Jean Carroll’s civil lawsuit against former President Donald Trump is not a criminal prosecution. Carroll alleges that Trump defamed her on social media in 2022 and committed battery against her (a civil tort version of the crime of assault.)

The second week of the trial is expected to include testimony from two other women, Natasha Stoynoff and Jessica Leeds, who were among the first to levy accusations when he ran for president in 2016.

Whether or not Trump testifies, jurors will hear him talking about sexual assault in the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape.

“You will hear from two other women ... who will testify that Donald Trump assaulted them in very much the same way he assaulted Ms. Carroll because that is his MO,” the longtime advice columnist’s lawyer, Shawn Crowley, said.

“You are going to hear Donald Trump say that in his own words.”

The second week of the trial is expected to include testimony from two other women, Natasha Stoynoff and Jessica Leeds, who were among the first to levy accusations when he ran for president in 2016.

Whether or not Trump testifies, jurors will hear him talking about sexual assault in the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape.

“You will hear from two other women ... who will testify that Donald Trump assaulted them in very much the same way he assaulted Ms. Carroll because that is his MO,” the longtime advice columnist’s lawyer, Shawn Crowley, said.

“You are going to hear Donald Trump say that in his own words.”
And indeed he did say it in his own words!;)

It is "civil battery" and defamation. I know that she has said it is about getting her credibility back, but what did she ask for? Some amount of restitution? I do not understand what the possible result is.

What's at stake in the trial?

Carroll is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for psychological harm, dignity loss, pain and suffering and reputation damage.
  • For Trump, the trial comes as he is again running for president and amid several other legal challenges.
  • Because it's a civil trial, Trump would not be considered a criminal if the jury's verdict is in favor of Carroll, but he could be responsible for paying her millions of dollars in damages.

What's at stake in the trial?

• For Trump, the trial comes as he is again running for president and amid several other legal challenges.
  • Because it's a civil trial, Trump would not be considered a criminal if the jury's verdict is in favor of Carroll, but he could be responsible for paying her millions of dollars in damages.
Which I would assume he could/would immediately challenge, and round and round we go!:mad:

@lawofruby

NEW: On Thursday morning, the trial was late to start because both sides’ lawyers were in a private conference with Judge Kaplan in his robing room. Some in the courtroom speculated it could mean a settlement was in the works.
I knew that wasn’t it. How?

A court reporter came out of Kaplan’s robing room with all those lawyers. And even if an SDNY judge would participate in settlement negotiations — and that’s NOT the custom — no settlement conversation would be transcribed.

And now, Carroll’s lawyers have confirmed in a letter to the court that whatever they were discussing, it is ongoing & deserving of remaining under seal.

That letter was followed by a motion, supporting brief, and an exhibit, which are sealed until Judge Kaplan determines they should or should not stay that way. But given how little even the cover letter says, this appears to be no ordinary evidentiary dispute.

Attachments

• IMG_9764.jpeg
    IMG_9764.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 16
@lawofruby

NEW: On Thursday morning, the trial was late to start because both sides’ lawyers were in a private conference with Judge Kaplan in his robing room. Some in the courtroom speculated it could mean a settlement was in the works.
I knew that wasn’t it. How?

A court reporter came out of Kaplan’s robing room with all those lawyers. And even if an SDNY judge would participate in settlement negotiations — and that’s NOT the custom — no settlement conversation would be transcribed.

And now, Carroll’s lawyers have confirmed in a letter to the court that whatever they were discussing, it is ongoing & deserving of remaining under seal.

That letter was followed by a motion, supporting brief, and an exhibit, which are sealed until Judge Kaplan determines they should or should not stay that way. But given how little even the cover letter says, this appears to be no ordinary evidentiary dispute.
Any idea what that's about? I can't even come up with a guess.

Actually his social media comments were my first thought as well, @Lilibet, but then I couldn't figure out why that would have to be under seal, if they were going to sanction him or fine him or whatever they have the ability to do.

But I really don't understand how it all works in the first place.

What I deeply hope it is NOT, is anything to do with a juror, and especially not that a juror has been doxxed or harrassed in any way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back