NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll, DT found liable re sexual assault, $5M award, countersuit dismissed, appeal rejected, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why did she wait so many years to allege rape?
I cases like this I always wonder why someone waits 25 or 30
Years?
This article answers some of those questions.

Under questioning by an attorney for Trump, Carroll said she did not want to tell people she had been raped.

“Women who have been raped are looked at in this society as less, are looked at as spoiled goods, are looked at as rather dumb to let themselves get attacked,” she told the lawyer, Alina Habba.

Carroll also said rape victims are asked why they didn’t scream or come forward sooner. The #MeToo movement, she said, had helped her to rethink her experience. Since making her claim against Trump, she said, she had lost her job.

“I’m looked at as a woman who’s untrustworthy, looked at now as a woman who can’t be believed,” Carroll said. “I’m looked at as a woman who was stupid and dumb enough to have happen to her what happened to her.”

Years?
She actually didn't wait that long. She wrote about it after the statute of limitations (ONE YEAR!) kept her from legally confronting him. But in 2022 NY passed the Adult Survivors Act which lifts statute of limitations for one year on civil sexual-abuse and harassment claims. So she did at that time, almost immediately after that law was passed.

Years?
There has been some very intensely (it's an intense issue IMO) and wonderfully worded responses to this question in this thread that you may want to re-read.

As a woman, all I can add is that I get it. I know why someone would wait or withhold altogether.

Also, TACOBEANS is what goes through my mind phonetically when I see the defense attorney's name. But Tapioca is what I SEE too.

Last edited:
Years?
Observe how humiliating and hard it is for her even now. The victim gets blamed, vilified and humiliated all over again. And if the perpetrator is a powerful and rich man, he can have you destroyed in court and in society via his money, lawyers, and connections.
Many women feel they have used up all their resolve and strength surviving the actual assault event, and carrying on life. They feel they do not want to revisit it or feel they cannot handle the hardship of reporting it and a trial.

IMO women AND men who DONT know the answer to this question are very fortunate people.
YES! A lot of people think rape is just sex that someone would rather not have. But they have no idea, luckily, how it feels to be physically restrained against your will, to lose all power over your movements and the ability to move, to be forced down and violated so personally and intimately. If men would imagine what it would feel like to be held down, bent over and have some hulk ram him, maybe they might start to get an idea. No wonder people are afraid to talk about it and face their abuser, no wonder indeed!!

IMO women AND men who DONT know the answer to this question are very fortunate people.
I dont understand your answer--- speaking for myself I cannot see waiting years and years
To bring criminal charges for rape if it happened to me and yes I am fortunate
It didnt happen to me

I dont understand your answer--- speaking for myself I cannot see waiting years and years
To bring criminal charges for rape if it happened to me and yes I am fortunate
It didnt happen to me
Please let's be careful not to get this thread derailed and shut down because we argue about rape.

But again, if you really do want to know and understand the answer to your question, please go back and read some of the longer posts answering your initial question. Posters put a lot of thought into those posts IMO.

Donald Trump’s lawyer Joe Tacopina resumed his cross-examination of accuser E. Jean Carroll by focusing on her first meeting with Trump in 1988, at an event she attended with her former husband, John Johnson. Trump was there with his first wife, Ivana.

The encounter was captured in a photograph that Carroll said in her testimony she kept in a scrapbook. Carroll described the minutes-long conversations as “lilting, quick, juicy” but said she didn’t recall the topics.

Carroll also testified she did not correspond or otherwise interact with Trump, aside from seeing him on a Manhattan street and waving to him several years later, until the alleged assault at Bergdorf Goodman in the 1990s.

Joe Tacopina continues to probe details of Carroll’s account, asking about the specific word Trump used when suggesting the kind of gift she should help him buy — “lingerie” — and if she noticed other people in the store and how long she thought the escalator ride to the upper levels lasted.

Tacopina is trying to highlight slight variances between Carroll’s testimony on the stand and her 2022 deposition or her book over these details, but Judge Kaplan eventually had enough, scolding Tacopina for being repetitive and argumentative in his questioning. “Look, you get to make a closing argument in this counselor, and this isn’t the time,” Kaplan said.

“He raped me whether I screamed or not!” This one statement will win the case!

E. Jean Carroll pushed back against Trump attorney Joe Tacopina’s continued questioning of why she didn’t scream when Donald Trump allegedly shoved his fingers into her vagina and then penetrated her.
“You can’t beat up on me for not screaming,” she said.
“I’m not beating up on you,” Tacopina replied. But Carroll wasn’t done.
“One of the reasons women don’t come forward is because they’re always asked, 'Why didn’t you scream?’ Some women scream, some women don’t. It keeps women silent,” she said.
After more back and forth, Carroll’s voice broke with frustration and emotion.
“He raped me whether I screamed or not!”

Tacopina sounds like if Trump were a lawyer, he is giving a very rough cross, but she is punching back and holding up well, though hard to tell by written form alone.

One tweet I saw: 'How Not to Cross Examine A Rape Victim' by Joe Tacopino

I won't repeat all the variations on his name I have seen. :)

E Jean Carroll denies politics and selling books motivated Trump rape allegation

Trump lawyer’s cross-examination focuses on early draft of advice columnist’s book and email exchanges with friend during civil trial

1682626066337.png
The former Elle magazine advice columnist E Jean Carroll answers questions from Donald Trump’s lawyer Joe Tacopina during the civil trial. Photograph: Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

Asked under cross-examination why she did not speak up when Trump was running for president in 2016, Carroll said it did not occur to her.

“I was never going to talk about what Donald Trump did,” she said. “Never.”

Tacopina confronted Carroll with a part of the draft of her book written a couple of years into his presidency that was not included in the final version but which appeared to indicate a political motive for her going public with her accusations.

“But now after two years of watching the man in action, I became persuaded that he wants to kill me. He’s poisoning my water. He’s polluting my air. And as he stacks the courts, my rights over my body are being taken away state by state. So, now I will tell you what happened,” she wrote.

[...]

Tacopina also latched on to a chapter in Carroll’s book – entitled What Do We Need Men For? A Modest Proposal – in which the author advocates for all men to be shipped to Montana “for retraining”.

Trump’s lawyer appeared to be suggesting this was evidence of an anti-male bent when the judge, Lewis Kaplan, waded in to tell him it was satire modeled on A Modest Proposal, the renowned Jonathan Swift satirical essay from 1729 which suggested that impoverished Irish people should sell their children as food to the rich.

“Move on,” said the judge.

Why does the defendant in tnis case get to opt out of being present
For the trial? I dont get it- Usually jurors evaluate the plaintiff and defendant
As they sit at the table in the courtroom
he is not legally required to appear or testify.

Like in any jury trial between individuals (v companies), jurors can make what they want of the fact that one party is not present. Not overtly of course, lol, but that's what we do as thinking humans.

Trump attorney Joe Tacopina is still trying to frame the details E. Jean Carroll describes of the alleged assault as implausible, repeatedly returning to Carroll’s testimony that she was able to eventually raise her knee to Trump’s thigh with her tights pushed down, that she didn’t scream and that she also gripped her purse throughout, while being pinned to the wall.

Tacopina sounded incredulous when he repeated back Carroll’s earlier testimony she had been wearing four-inch heels that day.

Carroll scoffed at Tacopina’s question: “I can dance forwards and backwards in four-inch heels.”

After a brief break, Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina picked up his cross examination by focusing on accuser E. Jean Carroll’s description of her reaction when she fled Bergdorf Goodman after the alleged assault and called her friend, author Lisa Birnbach.

“You could have easily called 911. And instead you called Lisa Birnbach,” Tacopina said, noting that Birnbach was not necessarily the closest friend to Carroll.

“She was exactly the person I needed to talk to,” Carroll said.

Carroll previously testified under direct examination Wednesday that she found Birnbach to be a warm and funny person and that it would help set her mind at ease if Birnbach heard Carroll’s account and found it funny — or at least wasn’t alarmed.

“I was going to tell her the story, which I thought was hilarious, and then I got to the point where I had to tell Lisa that he pulled down my tights, and before I said that, Lisa had to tell me to stop laughing,” Carroll said, describing her state of mind as “slightly disoriented” and said she had “adrenaline flowing through me.”

Judge Lewis A. Kaplan swatted down Tacopina’s effort to run with the interpretation of Carroll’s response that implied she finds rape “hilarious” and read the courtroom transcript back to him aloud, with punctuation. “Lisa Birnbach — funny, kind, warm — just telling me I had been raped … It’s hard to grasp what happened,” Carroll said.

Trump attorney Joe Tacopina’s next line of questioning is aiming to cast doubt on E. Jean Carroll’s account by underscoring there is no evidence like a police report or hospital record. Carroll testified to not calling police, seeing a doctor or going to the hospital and said her head and genitals still hurt by the time she returned home after the alleged assault.

“My vagina still hurt from his fingers,” she said.
Tacopina asked if she took the next day off from work, to which Carroll said she tried to resume life as normal.

“Right straight to work just to prove to myself that … life goes on, and that’s how I do it,” she said.

Carroll has testified that Birnbach encouraged her to tell the police about the assault, while a second friend she confided in, TV anchor Carol Martin, told her to stay silent, warning her Trump had “200 lawyers.”

“I was afraid Donald Trump [would] retaliate. And that’s exactly what he did. My worst nightmare came true,” Carroll said, looking over the courtroom. “He has two tables of lawyers here today.”

There has been a lot of verbal sparring between accuser E. Jean Carroll and the Trump lawyer cross-examining her, Joe Tacopina.

The latest jousting is over whether it is “odd” that Carroll, 79, did not call police immediately after she said Trump assaulted her in the mid-1990s.

Carroll said “it’s not an odd fact” that she didn’t report her rape to law enforcement, asserting that many women don’t report their assaults.

Tacopina then brought up a portion of Carroll’s book, published in 2019, where she writes about “facts that are so odd that I want to clear them up now before we start: Did I report the attack to the police? No.”

“I think it appears odd to you,” Carroll said.

“I didn’t write this book,” Tacopina said, before Judge Kaplan shut him down.

“To many readers, it may appear odd. I wanted to set facts straight in this story,” Carroll said.

E. Jean Carroll testifies how she was met with a 'wave of slime' after Donald Trump branded her a liar, with his supporters spewing social media attacks that made her feel 'too ugly to live'

Carroll told the court that after she published her book in 2019 Trump called her a liar in an official statement issued when he was president.

By 2022 she was 'gaining back some ground' but Trump called her lawsuit a 'SCAM' in a lengthy post on Truth Social and denied it again.

Carrol said: 'Boom, it knocked me back down.'

She described the ensuing abuse as a 'wave of slime'. She said: 'It was seedy comments, very denigrating, repeating what Donald Trump said, I was a liar, I was in it for the money, I couldn't wait for the payday, I was working for the Democrats but the main thing was I was too ugly.

'It's hard to get up in the morning receiving the message you're just too ugly to go on living.'

The court was shown a tweet from a Trump supporter which read: 'I know for a fact Mr. President wouldn't touch that ugly b**** with your d***'.

Another tweet called Carroll a 'troll' and a 'bulls******'.

Carroll said that she regretted filing the lawsuit 'five times a day' as she continued to get threats on social media, including that morning when she checked Twitter.

[...]

Carroll admitted that she only went public with her claims that same year when she was promoting her 2019 book 'What do We Need Men For? A Modest Proposal'.

Tacopina asked if the book was 'your version' of what happened with Trump.

Carroll shot back 'Those are the facts.'

Trump's statement branding Carroll a liar in October 2022

1682627833810.png

Trump fumed this week that the entire case was fueled by Democratic megadonor Reid Hoffman, whose nonprofit gave money towards Carroll's defense

1682627875046.png
1682627881967.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member