NY - $250m fraud against Former President Donald Trump, Trump Org., Eric, Donald Jr., Sept 2022, Trial 2 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

One of the valuations that Trump is using to estimate the Mar A Lago value is an empty buildable lot in the same area that has a price of $200 million.

However, there is a restriction in the deed of Mar A Lago that prohibits it from being turned into a single-family home or estate property and requires that it remain a club. This is what substantially reduces the real estate estimate.

The New York attorney general’s first witness in Donald Trump’s civil case is Donald Bender, who was Trump's long-time accountant at Mazars USA.

Bender has since retired from the firm and Mazars no longer prepares Trump's taxes. The firm resigned and said Trump's financial statements should no longer be relied upon.

Bender testified that he compiled the statements of financial condition for the Trumps and Trump Organization, meaning he compiled the information given by the Trumps to format it correctly but did no analytics on that information. He said that he did a spectrum of work for Trump Organization and Donald Trump, including statements of financial condition.

“If I saw something that didn’t make sense to me, or bothered me, I would ask him (the client, Trump Organization) about it,” Bender testified.

Trump lawyer Chris Kise objected to the admission of a Mazars engagement letter for Trump’s 2011 statement of financial condition, arguing that it should not be admitted as evidence because it details a claim ruled as time barred by the appellate court.

Judge Arthur Engoron overruled the objection because he said the document could be relevant to fraud perpetrated within the statute of limitations.

“I did no audit or review procedures,” Bender told the court about the engagement organized through the letter, which was dated July 20, 2011.
Live updates: Trump civil fraud trial in New York begins

After Habba finished her opening statement – which attacked James for campaigning that she would “get Trump” – Engoron pushed back against the Trump attorney.

The judge noted that the defense team already had tried to dismiss the case claiming by claiming James brought it as a “witch hunt” against Trump. He had already denied the motion, Engoron said, and his ruling had been affirmed by a New York appellate court.

“So Ms. James’ motivations are no longer at issue in this case, are they?” Engoron said.

The judge also sparred with Habba over a discussion about an accounting disclaimer for Mazars, Trump’s former accounting firm. The disclaimer essentially said, “We’re relying on the Trump Organization,” Engoron said. “That’s how I read it.”

“No, your honor,” Habba responded, arguing that the Trump Organization relied on Mazars and “they’re the accountants.”

Trump watched intently during the back and forth between Habba and Engoron.

Later, Kise argued that the problem with the judge issuing summary judgment is that “you haven’t heard the evidence.

“You owe it to the defendants to listen to the evidence,” Kise said. “We have to at least give these witnesses the opportunity to take the stand.”

Kise and Engoron debated whether a valuations expert’s testimony at trial would be considered evidence.

“I intend to be very patient and liberal in listening to things,” Engoron said to Kise

Donald Bender testified that when he did accounting for the Trump Organization from 2011 to 2021, he spent about 45% to 55% of time on a broad array of people.

Bender said he prepared a document of Trump's assets and liabilities and would take information given by the client presented in a financial statement. He said before technology improved, he would go to Trump Tower in person to obtain the necessary documents and put them in a binder. Then technology changed, he said, and they were able to get the records by email.

Even though Bender was speaking in fairly dry accounting terms, everyone in the courtroom was still fully engaged and hanging on his every word.
Trump fraud trial live updates: What's happening inside the courtroom

Donald Bender testified that when he did accounting for the Trump Organization from 2011 to 2021, he spent about 45% to 55% of time on a broad array of people.

Bender said he prepared a document of Trump's assets and liabilities and would take information given by the client presented in a financial statement. He said before technology improved, he would go to Trump Tower in person to obtain the necessary documents and put them in a binder. Then technology changed, he said, and they were able to get the records by email.

Even though Bender was speaking in fairly dry accounting terms, everyone in the courtroom was still fully engaged and hanging on his every word.
Trump fraud trial live updates: What's happening inside the courtroom

"information given by the client presented in a financial statement".

My CPA's has a 4-page contract outlining the terms of their function and limitations. They make it very clear that they prepare records based on information provided by the client and do expect me to provide the pertinent IRS and other documents to verify information provided, such as the W-2's, 1099's and such.

I'll bet the IRS has about 100 people listening in and taping all the information in this trial.

"information given by the client presented in a financial statement".

My CPA's has a 4-page contract outlining the terms of their function and limitations. They make it very clear that they prepare records based on information provided by the client and do expect me to provide the pertinent IRS and other documents to verify information provided, such as the W-2's, 1099's and such.

I'll bet the IRS has about 100 people listening in and taping all the information in this trial.
Prediction: tax fraud charges are coming

jmo

Court has wrapped for the day in the Trump civil fraud trial. The first witness for the New York attorney general, Trump’s former long-time accountant Donald Bender, testified about financial documents from 2011.

Mazars USA, the accounting firm where Bender worked, would not have issued these statements of financial condition if the Trump Organization did not represent that the numbers were accurate, Bender testified. Allen Weisselberg, Trump’s former longtime chief financial officer, signed on behalf of Trump that the documents from 2011 were accurate, he added.

Additionally, Mazars would not have issued these statements if they learned the numbers were not true, Bender said.
He is expected to continue testifying on Tuesday.

For most of the afternoon session, the former president continued to look at the documents on the monitor in front of him, looking across the courtroom at the witness and talking quietly with his lawyers.

Trump repeats 'election interference' claims after first day of trial​

Zoë Richards
In brief remarks after leaving the courtroom, Trump maintained that he has done "nothing wrong" and insisted that the lawsuit was part of an effort to interfere with the 2024 election.

"Banks loved our business, they loved our deals, they weren't defrauded," Trump said. "They made a lot of money, and they considered me a very good client."

The former president also complained that his time spent at trial was keeping him off the campaign trail.

"I've been sitting in a courthouse all day long instead of being in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina or a lot of other places I could be at," Trump said. "This is a horrible situation for our country."

"It's election interference," he added.
Highlights from Day 1 of the Trump fraud trial

Court has wrapped for the day in the Trump civil fraud trial. The first witness for the New York attorney general, Trump’s former long-time accountant Donald Bender, testified about financial documents from 2011.

Mazars USA, the accounting firm where Bender worked, would not have issued these statements of financial condition if the Trump Organization did not represent that the numbers were accurate, Bender testified. Allen Weisselberg, Trump’s former longtime chief financial officer, signed on behalf of Trump that the documents from 2011 were accurate, he added.

Additionally, Mazars would not have issued these statements if they learned the numbers were not true, Bender said.

For most of the afternoon session, the former president continued to look at the documents on the monitor in front of him, looking across the courtroom at the witness and talking quietly with his lawyers.

Zoë Richards
In brief remarks after leaving the courtroom, Trump maintained that he has done "nothing wrong" and insisted that the lawsuit was part of an effort to interfere with the 2024 election.

"Banks loved our business, they loved our deals, they weren't defrauded," Trump said. "They made a lot of money, and they considered me a very good client."

The former president also complained that his time spent at trial was keeping him off the campaign trail.

"I've been sitting in a courthouse all day long instead of being in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina or a lot of other places I could be at," Trump said. "This is a horrible situation for our country."

Spewing spaghetti on the wall, hoping something sticks

The attorney for Donald Trump’s adult sons said he “vigorously” disagrees with most of the opening statement given on behalf of the attorney general.

Cliff Robert, who represents Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, began his opening statement by attacking Kevin Wallace, who spoke for New York Attorney General Letitia James' office.

“I vigorously on behalf of my clients disagree with just about everything Mr. Wallace said,” Robert began.

“You need to judge credibility,” Robert said, urging the judge to determine the credibility of the people who were involved in the transactions, namely Michael Cohen.

“I don’t think that could be overstated,” he added.

Robert argued that there was nothing materially wrong with the valuations of financial conditions that Don Jr. and Eric signed, and they would not be “running away” from them.

“They relied on the work product of others” when they signed the statements of financial condition after Trump took office, Robert said.
Trump fraud trial live updates: What’s happening inside the courtroom
Trump and his boys will certainly be running from the Facts, as usual. Trump is a Malignant Narcissist, paying people to clap for him, attend his parties, etc. He Needs to be worshipped. Like his father before him, a two bit conman, refusing to pay bills due, kissing his own *advertiser censored* consistently. Here come the Judge(s)!

Zoë Richards

"Loving the deal" as he puts is doesn't make something legal. Drug dealers and customers likely love the deal, but that doesn't make it legal, for example.

Fraudulent business statements are illegal. If Trump's statements are not fraudulent, he should have the paperwork to back that up. But seems like his defense is just to whine and make ugly statements.

jmo

Zillow values mar a lago at 25 million

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 10am ET) – NY - New York vs. Donald J. Trump, Donald Trump, Jr. & Eric Trump & the Trump Organization, Inc. (Allen Weisselberg & Jeffrey McConney) is being sued by Letitia James, the New York Attorney General, who is leading a civil investigation (which cannot result in criminal charges filed on 9/21/22) & has spent years looking at whether the company committed various acts of fraud over several decades. In the civil case, Ms. James has filed a lawsuit against Trump & three of his children accusing them of "astounding" fraud & deception.
New York is seeking $250 million in financial penalties & asked the court to ban Trump, Donald Trump Jr. & Eric Trump from serving as an officer or director in any corporation registered or licensed in New York. James also requested the court ban the former president & his business from acquiring real estate in New York or from applying for loans from any New York financial institution for five years. James's civil case accuses Trump of lying from 2011 to 2021 about asset values at the Trump Organization, as well as his own net worth, in order to obtain better terms from lenders & insurers.
Lawsuit against: Donald John Trump, Donald Trump, Jr, Eric Trump, Allen Weisselberg, Jeffrey McConney, The Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, The Trump Organization, Inc., Trump Organization LLC, DJT Holdings LLC, DJT Holinds Managing Memer, Trump Endeavor 12 LLC, 401 North Wabash Venture LLC, Trump Old Post of Fice LLC, 40 Wall Street LLC & Seven Springs LLC.
All charges against Ivanka Trump were dismissed.
New York Supreme Court (Manhattan) #452564-2022 / New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, 1st Dept, No. 2023-00717.
Summary Judgement. NY State Court Judge Engoron has granted partial summary judgment to the Ny attorney general, finding that Trump is liable on top fraud count of NYAG business fraud lawsuit. Judge Engoron wrote that the documents uncovered in the case “clearly contain fraudulent valuations that defendants used in business,” and none of Trump’s defenses hold up, including his claim that he could always find a “buyer from Saudi Arabia” for one property or that measuring square footage is a “subjective process.” The judge pointed to several Trump properties that were overvalued, including Mar-A-Lago, a building on Park Avenue, an estate in Westchester County & his penthouse in Trump Tower—which had an inflated square footage even after Forbes asked him about the exaggeration, Engoron notes. As a result, Judge Engoron canceled several of Trump’s business certificates & ordered the dissolution of Trump-related LLCs. The second orders that "within 10 days of the date of this order, the parties are directed to recommend the names of no more than three potential independent receivers to manage the dissolution of the canceled LLCs." Judge Engoron also sanctioned several of Trump’s attorneys $7,500 for making arguments the court had repeatedly tossed out.
Bench Trial began on 10/2/23. (could last until 12/22/23 per Judge)
Judge Arthur F. Engoron presiding / NY State Attorney General Leticia James / Defense attorney Christopher Kise & Alina Habba for Trump, Weisselberg & the rest of the defendants for Trump Org. / Clifford Robert of Robert & Robert PLLC for Donald, Jr. & Eric.

Case & court info from 9/21/22 thru 9/28/23 reference post #280 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-executives-oct-2023.673964/page-14

10/2/23 Monday, Bench Trial Day 1: Justice Engoron just noted in court that "nobody asked for" a jury trial, which is why he'll be presiding over Trump's $250M civil fraud case without one.
For more info see posts #281 & 299 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-executives-oct-2023.673964/page-15
Opening statements by attorney Kevin Wallace, who spoke for NY State Attorney General Leticia James’ office & Defense attorney for Trump Christopher Kise, defense attorney for sons Clifford Robert & defense attorneys for Trump Alina Habba.
In his opening statement, Wallace used video clips of depositions from Donald Trump, Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr. & Trump’s former longtime chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg. Trump’s lawyers objected to the use of these video clips from depositions, but the judge overruled their objection. Wallace also played a clip of Michael Cohen’s deposition addressing the years he helped prepare the documents. Judge Arthur Engoron said the trial is expected to last until December 22.
For more info see posts #305, 307, 310 to 313 & 320 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-executives-oct-2023.673964/page-16
Opening statements continued.
State witness: Donald Bender, Trump's ex-accountant at Mazars. Will continue testifying tomorrow.
For more info see posts #321, 322, 329, 331, 333 & 336 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-executives-oct-2023.673964/page-17
Bench trial continues on Tuesday, 10/3/23.

The judge asks media to stop reporting that he valued Mar-a-Lago at $18 million.

The truth is the judge "cited a local Palm Beach County official saying the country club had been assessed at a range of between $18 million and $27 million between 2011 and 2021.

In the same decision, Engoron rejected Trump’s expert’s valuation that the Florida estate was worth $1.5 billion finding the expert’s opinion “unexplained and unsubstantiated ‘dream[s.]"

If anybody but Trump spewed the kind of crap he keeps spewing (like the judge is rogue), that person would be in contempt and thrown in jail and fined. Once again, Trump gets to say whatever garbage he feels like saying and there are no consequences. It is sickening.
Time to pay the Piper. Every taxpayer in NY should be furious at him, yet some still believe his repeated lies. He is a Crook, and should be treated like one.

Chart used in court by AG in article but I couldn’t attach it
From your link:
New York Vs. Trump: Five Charts Explain the AG’s Fraud Case Against the Former President and His Business Empire - The Messenger

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpeg
    IMG_2616.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg