NY - $250m fraud against Former President Donald Trump, Trump Org., Eric, Donald Jr., Sept 2022, Trial 2 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a fan of Chris Christie, but he was a prosecutor in NJ, and understands the law. He says it’s all over now. Trump cannot beat Biden from a criminal trial in Florida next March. He thinks Trump is facing serious jail time. It’s hard to imagine, but anything else is even harder to imagine.
Not even just a prosecutor, he was the top NJ attorney in charge of the whole state regarding prosecution.

Christie definitely knows the law, and he knows Trump personally for years as two NY/NJ guys.

I believe him that Trump belongs in jail, but I just don’t know if a jury will find him guilty.

Very happy that at least in one case it’s a bench trial with Judge Engeron.

IMO

After an afternoon on the stand yesterday, Trump Jr. is back. He said in direct examination this morning that he doesn’t recall the specifics of several documents he was presented with in court, but that the Trump Organization’s accountants and accounting firm, Mazars USA, would be more familiar with the details.

He said that he relied on the accounting team, which included Allen Weisselberg, who was the company's CFO, and would ask all relevant parties if the information in the documents were correct and then he would sign off on them.

Asked about a loan document from Deutsche Bank in 2017 on which he signed as “attorney in fact,” Trump Jr. said he didn’t remember signing it, but added: “I’m sure I've signed dozens of these in my time as trustee.”
Trump fraud trial live updates: Don Jr. and Eric Trump testifying

Assistant attorney general Colleen Faherty asked if his answer would be the same -- that he had no specific knowledge of the financial statements -- for each of the years between 2017 and 2021, when he was trustee of the revocable trust that held his father's assets.

"Rinse and repeat," Trump Jr. responded. "I think we could save each other a lot of time and effort -- yes, it would be the same thing."
I 'signed accordingly,' Trump Jr. says of financial statements

Forwarded the message by a Trump Organization executive in 2017, Trump Jr. replied, "Insane amount of stuff there," according to material entered into evidence.

Asked about the email, Trump Jr. said he largely ignored the lengthy email and did not act on it.

"I don't know if I would spend hundreds of questions' worth of time answering questions from Forbes magazine," Trump Jr. said. "I have no specific recollection of doing anything with it."

Despite the error being called out, Trump Jr. and then-CFO Allen Weisselberg still signed off on Trump's 2016 financial statement that falsely claimed Trump's triplex was 30,000 square feet and worth $327 million, according to the New York attorney general's complaint.

Judge Engoron, following additional questioning, then paused the proceedings for the court's morning break. On his way out of the courtroom, Trump Jr. stopped to chat with the court's sketch artist.

"He said, 'Make me look sexy,'" the artist, Jane Rosenberg, told reporters.
Trump Jr. says he didn't 'do anything' with triplex info

After an afternoon on the stand yesterday, Trump Jr. is back. He said in direct examination this morning that he doesn’t recall the specifics of several documents he was presented with in court, but that the Trump Organization’s accountants and accounting firm, Mazars USA, would be more familiar with the details.

He said that he relied on the accounting team, which included Allen Weisselberg, who was the company's CFO, and would ask all relevant parties if the information in the documents were correct and then he would sign off on them.

Asked about a loan document from Deutsche Bank in 2017 on which he signed as “attorney in fact,” Trump Jr. said he didn’t remember signing it, but added: “I’m sure I've signed dozens of these in my time as trustee.”

Assistant attorney general Colleen Faherty asked if his answer would be the same -- that he had no specific knowledge of the financial statements -- for each of the years between 2017 and 2021, when he was trustee of the revocable trust that held his father's assets.

"Rinse and repeat," Trump Jr. responded. "I think we could save each other a lot of time and effort -- yes, it would be the same thing."

Forwarded the message by a Trump Organization executive in 2017, Trump Jr. replied, "Insane amount of stuff there," according to material entered into evidence.

Asked about the email, Trump Jr. said he largely ignored the lengthy email and did not act on it.

"I don't know if I would spend hundreds of questions' worth of time answering questions from Forbes magazine," Trump Jr. said. "I have no specific recollection of doing anything with it."

Despite the error being called out, Trump Jr. and then-CFO Allen Weisselberg still signed off on Trump's 2016 financial statement that falsely claimed Trump's triplex was 30,000 square feet and worth $327 million, according to the New York attorney general's complaint.

Judge Engoron, following additional questioning, then paused the proceedings for the court's morning break. On his way out of the courtroom, Trump Jr. stopped to chat with the court's sketch artist.

"He said, 'Make me look sexy,'"
the artist, Jane Rosenberg, told reporters.
This is a joke to him.

"He said, 'Make me look sexy,'"
the artist, Jane Rosenberg, told reporters.
Accounting is only as accurate as the numbers provided. The accountants work with what in is supplied to them - they don't make up numbers for the financial statements and they don't go on fact-finding expeditions. The final responsibility is with the client, not that "the buck stops here" means anything to this family or business.

The client might not know exactly how the financial statement are prepared, but they should be able to affirm the accuracy of the data provided that came from their own business.

jmo

I think Trump Jr's lawyers have figured out his defense:

He is Judy Holliday in the early scenes of Born Yesterday, where she (he) is blindly signing fraudulent documents at the orders of a gruff Brokerick Crawford ( Allan Weisselberg).

At least in the movie Holliday's character wised up and proved herself to be one smart and responsible cookie.

Jr is just playing the dumb blonde.

"Is it fair to view the hierarchy of the Trump Organization as a pyramid with your father at the top?" Amer asked Eric Trump, an executive vice president with the firm.

"Yes," Eric Trump said. "I worked with many people but ultimately reported to my father."
Eric Trump takes the stand

While his brother Donald Trump Jr. was sparsely mentioned by witnesses during the first five weeks of the trial, Eric Trump was described by witnesses as involved in the day-to-day operations of the company, as well as leading projects for multiple properties that were allegedly inflated in his father's statements of financial condition.

Unlike his brother Donald Trump Jr. -- who certified those statements between 2016 and 2021 -- Eric Trump is alleged to have signed "several guarantor compliance certificates" for his father, that relied on the financial statements.
As heir apparent, Eric Trump could face high stakes

Eric Trump denied knowing that he was cited as a source for Donald Trump's valuation of his Seven Springs estate in New York.

"People ask me questions all the time, but I never worked on the statement of financial condition," Eric Trump said when asked about two phone conversations cited by Trump Organization controller Jeffrey McConney to determine the value of the estate.
Trump fraud trial live updates: 'I did not work' on financial statements, Eric Trump says

Eric Trump responded angrily when a state attorney questioned his previous statement that he was unaware that information he provided was being used in his father's statement of financial condition.

"We're a major organization. A massive real estate organization," Eric Trump said, raising his voice, before acknowledging he was aware of his father's financial statements.
[snip]
"Is it correct that when you received this email in August of 2013, you understood that your father had an annual financial statement and you understood that Mr. McConney was asking you for information to assist with notes for that financial statement?" Amer asked.

"Yes," Eric Trump said.
Eric Trump acknowledges email about financial statement

What did Kise say about the clerk?? I missed it!

Things got contentious when the prosecutor began to emphasize the number of times Eric Trump pled the 5th in his deposition. At one point, Trump's abrasive lawyer Christopher Kise made a comment about the Judge's law clerk, which resulted in the judge pounding his fist on the table.

Kise then absurdly claimed that he has a "First Amendment right" to criticize the judge's clerk. (Lawyers do not have a right to say whatever they want during a trial). Kise then said that he couldn't possibly be a misogynist since he was "happily married" and had a 17 year old daughter.
Alina Habba then chimed in to claim that the reason why they were attacking the clerk was because it appeared to them that the judge was just doing whatever his clerk told him to do. That didn't seem to make things better.

For some reason.

Judge Engoron warned Trump's attorneys: "Do not refer to my staff again. She's a civil servant."

Court concluded for the day with a threat from Judge Engoron to expand the trial's limited gag order to include attorneys, after a clash between the judge and defense counsel.

The judge had previously issued the partial gag order prohibiting defendants from making public comments about his staff, after former President Trump posted online about Engoron's law clerk.

After defense attorney Chris Kise suggested potential bias from the bench, Engoron told him, "Do not refer to my law clerk again."

"Sometimes I think there might be a bit of misogyny," Engoron told Kise.

"I have the right to make points on the record," Kise responded. "If there is bias in the proceedings, I have the right to raise that."

Engoron, pounding on the bench, shouted into his microphone that Kise had no right to hear conversations between the judge and his clerk.

"I have an absolute, unfettered right to get advice from my principal law clerk," Engoron said.

Court is scheduled to resume tomorrow morning when Eric Trump returns to the stand.
Judge suggests Trump attorney is misogynist, threatens gag order

Court concluded for the day with a threat from Judge Engoron to expand the trial's limited gag order to include attorneys, after a clash between the judge and defense counsel.

The judge had previously issued the partial gag order prohibiting defendants from making public comments about his staff, after former President Trump posted online about Engoron's law clerk.

After defense attorney Chris Kise suggested potential bias from the bench, Engoron told him, "Do not refer to my law clerk again."

"I have the right to make points on the record," Kise responded. "If there is bias in the proceedings, I have the right to raise that."

Engoron, pounding on the bench, shouted into his microphone that Kise had no right to hear conversations between the judge and his clerk.

"I have an absolute, unfettered right to get advice from my principal law clerk," Engoron said.

Court is scheduled to resume tomorrow morning when Eric Trump returns to the stand.
IMO, It looks like set up by the defense to make the judge lose his cool, to paint him as controlled by his female clerk, and to cry that the judge is silencing the Trump team's right to speech. And his followers will believe it - and repeat it with the cry that it's all political and stacked against Trump.

jmo

ETA: And, imo, they don't care what harm they are potentially causing the clerk. Just like the defendant didn't care about public servants Ruby and Shaye in Georgia.

Things got contentious when the prosecutor began to emphasize the number of times Eric Trump pled the 5th in his deposition. At one point, Trump's abrasive lawyer Christopher Kise made a comment about the Judge's law clerk, which resulted in the judge pounding his fist on the table.

Kise then absurdly claimed that he has a "First Amendment right" to criticize the judge's clerk. (Lawyers do not have a right to say whatever they want during a trial). Kise then said that he couldn't possibly be a misogynist since he was "happily married" and had a 17 year old daughter.
Alina Habba then chimed in to claim that the reason why they were attacking the clerk was because it appeared to them that the judge was just doing whatever his clerk told him to do. That didn't seem to make things better.

For some reason.

Judge Engoron warned Trump's attorneys: "Do not refer to my staff again. She's a civil servant."

Jeebus

They are really angling for sanctions. Maybe Trump Sr is goading them on, but not respecting the authority and direction of the judge will only make things worse for their client. I sense this is intentional so as to cause Judge Engoron to say or do something out of frustration. He needs to be icy and precise in his reactions.

This will also not get them approval of an appeal.

BBM. I'm baffled why a Judge needs to get advice from his law clerk.

JMO

What do clerks do?

"Generally, a clerk will conduct legal research, analyze case law, and draft bench memoranda, orders, and opinions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18