NY - 8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have never felt the need to take the edge off of a hangover, by drinking more alcohol, but it seems like some people do it-and I think that Diane did this. Does this even work? ...

BBM and snipped (new to quoting, sorry if I did it wrong).

First, if Diane was a problem drinker then drinking the morning after a night of drinking is relatively common. You want to keep the buzz going, or you want to even it out so you feel better - it does “work”...but I would assume only for those who binge drink or enjoy/need to be buzzed regularly.

If she drank as much as her BAC seems to show she did AND she did it as a result of a hangover, I would absolutely have to assume she was a closeted alcoholic/problem drinker.

If she had taken the kids to a place where she could have gotten a mimosa or a Bloody Mary or something - I think that would be more along the lines of a non-alcoholics idea of a “hair of the dog” hangover cure.

Good thoughts and welcome !!! Plausible that she was hungover (IMO) , in a time crunch and needed to get back to LI that she needed to maintain (ie pot and cocktail)

@mrsselig sbm bbm I was curious too, so headed down the wiki rabbit hole.
Briefly, NY state legalized medical cannabis legalization in 2014 & recreational marijuana in 2021 (a bit oversimplified).* So seems neither medical nor recreational cannabis was legally available in NY then. But that would not have precluded someone getting edibles illegally in NY or legally in another state.
If Diane had been a DIY grow-your-own and bake-your-own type person, seems likely that fam, friends, maybe LE would have been aware. So seems likely that info would have surfaced in the intervening yrs.

Back on topic to the victims, those children. RIP.
De Honesta Voluptate et Valetudine, which translates to “On Honorable Pleasure and Health” written by Bartolomeo Platina in 1465.[14]"
3. "The first cannabis edible recipe appeared in the United States in the early 1960s in a cookbook called The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook .... her "brownies" became synonymous with cannabis in the growing 1960s counterculture."**
The first two were before my time, but I vaguely recall seeing "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas" movie back in my teens.

* Cannabis in New York - Wikipedia.
** Cannabis edible - Wikipedia

I remember seeing the Alice B. Toklas Cookbook back in the day. Someone else owned it, was quite the collector's item. I only experimented with baking the brownies once or twice. It was difficult to disguise the taste of the old fashioned kind of MJ that used to be widely available.

JMO, it sounded like Diane was too busy with work and home life to find the time to grow her own. In the Long Island suburbs, it probably wasn't too difficult to buy it.

Twelve years later and I still find myself still gravitating toward discussions of this case. Since the thread has been revitalized for the time being, here's my thoughts:

I do believe she smoked weed regularly and, perhaps, drank on a regular basis, too. Yet her behavior that day suggests she deliberately got wasted in a very short time at a very early hour, for a reason -- she wanted to kill herself and didn't care if she took all five kids with her. When she threw that phone out the window, (investigator's theory for the location at which her phone was found), I think she did so not from shame or a desire to hide evidence, but with an aim to finish the job, unobstructed. To me this is the most damning evidence of all.

I wonder if prior to this final act she was harboring anger toward not only her child-like husband, but maybe also toward her pretty, popular, sister-in-law, Jackie - as well as toward her own brother, Jackie's husband.

If you've read Jackie Hance's heartbreakingly honest book of what happened the day of the accident and the excruciating months that followed, it is obvious that the only commonality between Jackie and Diane was that both women were high energy and doted on their children. The similarities seemed to end there.

Jackie was a stay-at-home mom, while Diane was the breadwinner. Jackie was petite and adorable, while Diane, though not unattractive, had become somewhat frumpish in appearance. Jackie had a loyal, devoted group of girlfriends, and she seemed to have enjoyed regular, frequent recreational and social outlets. Diane's free time likely amounted to catching up on household chores, the occasional night out and, by Daniel's own words, smoking pot to relax after the kids were in bed.

And, of course, there was also that camper they drove to the lake that weekend and, presumably, used other times as well.

It's probable, imo, that Diane had good intentions when she invited her nieces to join her, Danny and their kids for the weekend. I do wonder, though, if she'd had a change of heart once the weekend arrived, along with the irony of the situation: She may very well have asked herself why it was she giving a "free" weekend to Jackie and Warren instead of the other way around.

According to Jackie Hance's recollection as stated in her book, Diane called to say she'd be late picking the girls up for the trip; Jackie said this was unusual as Diane was always punctual. (On the way home, too, she called one of the Hances to say she'd be late. Diane's uncharacteristic tardiness that weekend could have been passive-aggressive behavior expressed toward the Hances.)

The final breaking point may have come at the campground at which Diane probably did the lion's share of work. I can imagine Danny fishing over at the lake with his dog, while his wife fired up the grill, prepared the meals, supervised and amused the children, and made sure Danny relaxed, undisturbed.

Maybe someday (under hypnosis or something)memories will come to Brian that might add another layer of possible causation for Diane's state of mind that day. Until then, we can only guess and add our own theories, which is all this is.

Twelve years later and I still find myself still gravitating toward discussions of this case. Since the thread has been revitalized for the time being, here's my thoughts:

I do believe she smoked weed regularly and, perhaps, drank on a regular basis, too. Yet her behavior that day suggests she deliberately got wasted in a very short time at a very early hour, for a reason -- she wanted to kill herself and didn't care if she took all five kids with her. When she threw that phone out the window, (investigator's theory for the location at which her phone was found), I think she did so not from shame or a desire to hide evidence, but with an aim to finish the job, unobstructed. To me this is the most damning evidence of all.

I wonder if prior to this final act she was harboring anger toward not only her child-like husband, but maybe also toward her pretty, popular, sister-in-law, Jackie - as well as toward her own brother, Jackie's husband.

If you've read Jackie Hance's heartbreakingly honest book of what happened the day of the accident and the excruciating months that followed, it is obvious that the only commonality between Jackie and Diane was that both women were high energy and doted on their children. The similarities seemed to end there.

Jackie was a stay-at-home mom, while Diane was the breadwinner. Jackie was petite and adorable, while Diane, though not unattractive, had become somewhat frumpish in appearance. Jackie had a loyal, devoted group of girlfriends, and she seemed to have enjoyed regular, frequent recreational and social outlets. Diane's free time likely amounted to catching up on household chores, the occasional night out and, by Daniel's own words, smoking pot to relax after the kids were in bed.

And, of course, there was also that camper they drove to the lake that weekend and, presumably, used other times as well.

It's probable, imo, that Diane had good intentions when she invited her nieces to join her, Danny and their kids for the weekend. I do wonder, though, if she'd had a change of heart once the weekend arrived, along with the irony of the situation: She may very well have asked herself why it was she giving a "free" weekend to Jackie and Warren instead of the other way around.

According to Jackie Hance's recollection as stated in her book, Diane called to say she'd be late picking the girls up for the trip; Jackie said this was unusual as Diane was always punctual. (On the way home, too, she called one of the Hances to say she'd be late. Diane's uncharacteristic tardiness that weekend could have been passive-aggressive behavior expressed toward the Hances.)

The final breaking point may have come at the campground at which Diane probably did the lion's share of work. I can imagine Danny fishing over at the lake with his dog, while his wife fired up the grill, prepared the meals, supervised and amused the children, and made sure Danny relaxed, undisturbed.

Maybe someday (under hypnosis or something)memories will come to Brian that might add another layer of possible causation for Diane's state of mind that day. Until then, we can only guess and add our own theories, which is all this is.

Good theories….and once again I wonder what Diane needed Danny for? He was useless; I mean really, he was a sperm donor that she had to financially support, and take care of. She should have kicked his sorry butt out of the house and hired a babysitter.

It gets under the skin this case. Its always creeping back in my head. I think she was hung waaaaay over and was looking to take the edge off. The vodka bottle not packed away but riding shotgun !! I would love to see the extra footage from the documentary.

It gets under the skin this case. Its always creeping back in my head. I think she was hung waaaaay over and was looking to take the edge off. The vodka bottle not packed away but riding shotgun !! I would love to see the extra footage from the documentary.

Same. This case haunts me. I’d also like to see an interview with the surviving son, once he’s of age. Also, I’d like to know what Diane and her brother talked about on the phone. And who else Diane called while driving.

I agree, it’s a murder-suicide case. Depression can’t be bargained with, nor convinced to use logic. But I so wish that Diane would have had the presence of mind to at least first taken the children to safety before choosing to end all of their lives.

This case has haunted me ever since I saw the documentary. I have watched it several times since over the years because it's one that just doesn't let go. I don't think we will ever truly know what happened but I do believe that useless husband has a lot more of the answers. I think we got a good glimpse of who he is in the actions he took after with suing and blaming all but his wife/him. And when he all but admitted that he was pissed that he was left with his own son.

Now there's questions that I have always had : What did Diane say to her brother? and Just what did her niece (Emma I think ) say to her Dad ???? What about her co-workers ? No one ever came forward from Cablevision and thats a big company...someone would talk for $$$ and/or to get a few seconds of fame.

Defamation? Truth & Death.
I wonder if Jackie had to clear thru a lawyer what could be published ??????
@hot cawfeee This book was published by a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.,* one of the largest publishers in US.
Is ^ post hinting at book possibly making stmts constituting defamation of character of Diane, for ex, drinking or marijuana use? I'm confident S & S has pre-publication procedures for legal review of content for all books to detect defamation of character.

A couple relevant points, leading me to think S & S has its hindside protected. Ditto Jackie's. my2ct.
1. Truth is a defense against a defamation claim.**
2. The dead cannot be defamed*** (see below for more accurate phrasing).
^ United States defamation law - Wikipedia

Defamation? Truth & Death.
@hot cawfeee This book was published by a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.,* one of the largest publishers in US.
Is ^ post hinting at book possibly making stmts constituting defamation of character of Diane, for ex, drinking or marijuana use? I'm confident S & S has pre-publication procedures for legal review of content for all books to detect defamation of character.

A couple relevant points, leading me to think S & S has its hindside protected. Ditto Jackie's. my2ct.
1. Truth is a defense against a defamation claim.**
2. The dead cannot be defamed*** (see below for more accurate phrasing).
^ United States defamation law - Wikipedia

I am not the OP, and not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the autopsy report would negate any possibility of a defamation claim.

Diane Schuler had a blood alcohol level of 0.19 – more than twice the legal limit – at the time of the crash and had smoked marijuana as early as 15 minutes before, officials say.
Taconic Mom Drunk, Not Sick, Final Autopsy Says

Here is a link to the autopsy report. https://dl.vdocument.in/download/f7...O1vWM4G6VHv506cPhPR+3OATy9X+XEGNDs9otr26Q/wY=

Defamation?
... seems to me that the autopsy report would negate any possibility of a defamation claim. Diane Schuler had a blood alcohol level of 0.19 – more than twice the legal limit – at the time of the crash and had smoked marijuana as early as 15 minutes before, officials say. Taconic Mom Drunk, Not Sick, Final Autopsy Says Here is a link to the autopsy report. https://dl.vdocument.in/download/f7e0ca97e73ed9cd861e8bd52b00e6d2277b1fc97ff81a7bcfdf4499536ad9582a93f5bde7d45a6b23f949a32068fae389b1528a8c90dc30e8841605b8508b50iBKUlTV4kqQhlHUMt+MAwP9vhb2rlwqlNwDsMTz5aAZf8Ub3quEpKiZsf+kTCVVO1vWM4G6VHv506cPhPR+3OATy9X+XEGNDs9otr26Q/wY=
@steeltowngirl sbm Thx for info & link.
NB: Haven't read the book, so I'm just speaking gen'ly, not to any specifics in the book.
Yes, but it's not (just) the autopsy findings that would bar recovery for defamation after Diane's death. It's because a dead person cannot be defamed.*

OTOH, if Jackie's book stated Diane's alcohol & marijuana use caused her to be impaired ---
--- only on day of crash, and Diane had survived & filed defamation suit against Jackie or publisher, then post-crash medical test results re alcohol & MJ would have been a valid "truth as defense."
--- at other times before crash, and Diane had survived & filed defamation suit against Jackie or publisher, her suit conceivably could have been successful, if defendants had no proof of truth of the stmts, such as med test results or witnesses to testify about Diane's impairment at those other times. my2ct.

Welcoming comment or correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals. TiA.

Last edited:
Defamation?
@steeltowngirl sbm Thx for info & link.
NB: Haven't read the book, so I'm just speaking gen'ly, not to any specifics in the book.
Yes, but it's not (just) the autopsy findings that would bar recovery for defamation after Diane's death. It's because a dead person cannot be defamed.*

OTOH, if Jackie's book stated Diane's alcohol & marijuana use caused her to be impaired ---
--- only on day of crash, and Diane had survived & filed defamation suit against Jackie or publisher, then post-crash medical test results re alcohol & MJ would have been a valid "truth as defense."
--- at other times before crash, and Diane had survived & filed defamation suit against Jackie or publisher, her suit conceivably could have been successful, if defendants had no proof of truth of the stmts, such as med test results or witnesses to testify about Diane's impairment at those other times. my2ct.

Welcoming comment or correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals. TiA.

I hope the legal folks weigh in. Danny Schuler was fiercely protective of his wife's reputation (understandably) but in complete denial that Diane was drunk and high. He was engaged in lawsuits against Warren and Jackie Hance, but to my knowledge, not in relationship to her book. Jackie Hance's book said that their relationship had been very strained since the accident. She also loved Diane, trusted Diane, and had no previous awareness that Diane drank.

Had Diane survived, perhaps there would have been no need for a book. Had Diane been sober, perhaps the Hance’s three children, and Diane’s daughter, would be alive today. But it’s an indisputable fact, Diane was high and drunk at the time of the fatal crash. Had she survived, I believe she would have went to trial for vehicular homicide.

Frankly, I am stunned by the idea that Diane was possibly defamed by the book. The crash itself, and the resulting death of 8 people on the Taconic Parkway, is the moment Diane Schuler defamed herself.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbustam1
Back