NY NY - Alice Parsons: Heiress, Long Island, 1937

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Roy Dimitri Parsons had a son he named Ravi...So, I would assume that there is some Indian background.

2 cents.

ETA - This son died young. Marylin - do you have this info?

Can't speak for Marilyn, Pink Panther, but I think that's great. I was torn between the Indian and Italian background with that strange name, but the Ravi seals it for me.

If Roy's Indian Father married Mom, and let his family know about her and his
his son, I don't think he'll be that hard to trace. If he didn't, or was a recent immigrant already married in India.......

Anyway, with that strange name, I'm wondering if he was from the Anglo-Indian community. I am trying to ask my friend, also from the old, Anglo-Indian community. Unfortunately, he's just gone on holiday. To India.

There's still Indian Sonis in Kent. The name isn't that common. I wonder?

So. Roy is English. Parsons is American. Soni is Indian. And the Kuprianov? That's got to be Russian. Dimitri? Where was that place in Greece where all the Russians gathered when they fled the Motherland?

I'm thinking if we could find Anna's name before she married, couple it with the first name of Dimitri, we might find Anna's Dad. And the reason Anna fled Russia. And what made Anna tick.

Forgot the Han. No idea. Unless there is a Russian/Mongolian link?

So. Roy is English. Parsons is American. Soni is Indian. And the Kuprianov? That's got to be Russian. Dimitri? Where was that place in Greece where all the Russians gathered when they fled the Motherland?

I'm thinking if we could find Anna's name before she married, couple it with the first name of Dimitri, we might find Anna's Dad. And the reason Anna fled Russia. And what made Anna tick.

Forgot the Han. No idea. Unless there is a Russian/Mongolian link?

According to Anna, she fled Russia during the Bolshevic Revolution in 1917. Her father was worked in some capacity (IIRC, he was groundskeeper) for Tsar Nicholas II.

And Anna made sure everyone knew she was connected (albeit indirectly) to Russian royalty. In fact, she acted so "imperial" while shopping and conducting other household errands that one of her nicknames was "The Countess".

Roy Dimitri Parsons had a son he named Ravi...So, I would assume that there is some Indian background.

2 cents.

ETA - This son died young. Marylin - do you have this info?

According to Allyn, Roy's wife, they had no children. But she may have meant they had no surviving children.

Roy's father was an Indian student who was supposedly killed in a car crash in England shortly after Roy's birth in 1926. (I just dug this info out of my research files).

One article I found in my files claims that Roy's birth name was Sonirsomi, and the father was listed as Han Roy Sonirsomi. I have not been able to confirm that via any other source, so I'm not positive this info is correct.

However, Anna also claimed that Roy's father was a captain in the Russian military, and a member of the "Tsar's court". According to Anna, he met his death in the Russian Revolution. So I don't see how he could have been Roy's father.

So as you can see, it's difficult to figure out the truth when it comes to Anna.

I thought we had a census every 10 years!

We do, but it happens in years ending in 1 -- so he wasn't born in time for the 1921 census, and had moved away by 1931. :)

And yes, it's pouring down here in North London. I'm expecting to see an ark go past the window at any moment!

I believe Anna's maiden name was:

Anna Shishkova
Birth 4 Feb 1901 in Yalta, Crimea, Russia

Her father was:

Stanislav Shishkoff
Birth in Crimea, Russia

Her ex-husband was:

Alexander Kuprianoff
Birth 13 Apr 1894 in Moscow, Russia
Death Oct 1964

Her son:

Roy Dimitri Kupryanova Parsons (Soni)
Birth 12 Jun 1926 in Richmond, Surrey, Kent, England
Death 24 Nov 2007 in Dallas, Dallas, Texas

His wife:

Allyn Wickman
Birth 29 Nov 1930

Their son:

Kiran Ravi Parsons
Birth 18 Oct 1970 in Los Angeles, California
Death 15 Jun 1994 in Dallas, Dallas, Texas

I could be wrong but this is what I have found so far...

Lots more information about Dmitri here:

"From the age of 12 he lived in California in Atherton and Carmel where he completed high school. He joined the Navy in 1944. After being discharged he returned to California where he attended Menlo Junior College, then UCLA where he studied geology and mathematics with the intent to specialize in seismology. He then realized that his real interest lay in the field of art, and he was accepted into advanced painting classes in his last year of college.
Later he studied painting techniques with Dr. Albert Tross, a conservator of 15th through 20th century paintings at the L.A. County Museum and also other museums."

http://www.etsy.com/listing/107682182/vintage-dimitri-parsons-mid-century

California Birth Index, 1905-1995

Name: Kiran R Parsons
Birth Date: 18 Oct 1970
Mother's Maiden Name: Wickman
Birth County: Los Angeles

Social Security Death Index

Name: Kiran R. Parsons
SSN: *advertiser censored*
Last Residence: 75229 Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
Born: 18 Oct 1970
Died: 15 Jun 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (1988)

I believe Anna's maiden name was:

Anna Shishkova
Birth 4 Feb 1901 in Yalta, Crimea, Russia

Her father was:

Stanislav Shishkoff
Birth in Crimea, Russia

Her ex-husband was:

Alexander Kuprianoff
Birth 13 Apr 1894 in Moscow, Russia
Death Oct 1964

Her son:

Roy Dimitri Kupryanova Parsons (Soni)
Birth 12 Jun 1926 in Richmond, Surrey, Kent, England
Death 24 Nov 2007 in Dallas, Dallas, Texas

His wife:

Allyn Wickman
Birth 29 Nov 1930

Their son:

Kiran Ravi Parsons
Birth 18 Oct 1970 in Los Angeles, California
Death 15 Jun 1994 in Dallas, Dallas, Texas

I could be wrong but this is what I have found so far...

This is great info, thanks! I knew nothing about Roy's child, and nothing about Anna's maiden name or her father's name. Your research skills are wonderful, and it's fun to learn more about Anna and Roy.

Lots more information about Dmitri here:

"From the age of 12 he lived in California in Atherton and Carmel where he completed high school. He joined the Navy in 1944. After being discharged he returned to California where he attended Menlo Junior College, then UCLA where he studied geology and mathematics with the intent to specialize in seismology. He then realized that his real interest lay in the field of art, and he was accepted into advanced painting classes in his last year of college.
Later he studied painting techniques with Dr. Albert Tross, a conservator of 15th through 20th century paintings at the L.A. County Museum and also other museums."

http://www.etsy.com/listing/107682182/vintage-dimitri-parsons-mid-century

Roy lived on a lettuce farm, of all places, with Anna and William. It must have been quite a different life for him than he had in Stony Brook.

I didn't realize he had attended school at UCLA. I knew he had an interest in art, but wasn't aware he had taken art classes in college.

Thanks for finding this info. You rock!:rocker:

ETA: Some records show Roy's middle name as "Cooper", but that was simply an "Americanization" of his last name, Kuprianov. Anna was known by some in Stony Brook, NY as "Mrs. Cooper".

You guys have been great in ferreting out information about Anna and Roy.

I am so happy that this is the spotlight case, because you guys have made me realize that I need to beef up the info about Anna in my book.

I'll also delve more into her father's life, to see if he really was employed by Tsar Nicholas II. Anna only had a passing acquaintance with truth, I think, so it will be interesting to see if anything she said about her past was true.

Thanks again, everyone, I'm glad to learn I'm not alone in finding this story fascinating.

Happy holidays to all!

Can't speak for Marilyn, Pink Panther, but I think that's great. I was torn between the Indian and Italian background with that strange name, but the Ravi seals it for me.

If Roy's Indian Father married Mom, and let his family know about her and his
his son, I don't think he'll be that hard to trace. If he didn't, or was a recent immigrant already married in India.......

Anyway, with that strange name, I'm wondering if he was from the Anglo-Indian community. I am trying to ask my friend, also from the old, Anglo-Indian community. Unfortunately, he's just gone on holiday. To India.

There's still Indian Sonis in Kent. The name isn't that common. I wonder?

Everyone is doing such a great job of sleuthing. I don't know how you all do it.
But I'm just wondering... Could the name Ravi come from Roy's wife's side of the family? Or maybe because they are both artists they just decided to give their son an artsy different kind of name?

Just a thought. :)

Everyone is doing such a great job of sleuthing. I don't know how you all do it.
But I'm just wondering... Could the name Ravi come from Roy's wife's side of the family? Or maybe because they are both artists they just decided to give their son an artsy different kind of name?

Just a thought. :)

That might be possible. Roy's wife has an unusual name, Allyn. So perhaps they were into unique names.

That might be possible. Roy's wife has an unusual name, Allyn. So perhaps they were into unique names.

1940 United States Federal Census

Name: Allyn Wickman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1931
Race: White
Birthplace: Illinois
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1940: Highland Park, Dallas, Texas
View Map
Street: Fairway
House Number: 4544
Inferred Residence in 1935: Chicago, Illinois
Residence in 1935: Chicago, Illinois
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Sheet Number: 62B
Father's Birthplace: Missouri
Mother's Birthplace: Illinois
Attended School or College: Yes
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 2nd grade
Native Language: English
Veteran Father Dead: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Herbert M Wickman 43
Caryenne Wickman 39
Allyn Wickman 9

What an amazing story, can't wait to hear more about this one!!

Might be nothing.. but there's this:

report of the member of the executive committee of the Soviet of soldiers’ deputies Alexander Kuprianov, about his journey around Arzamasskii and Nizhegorodskiiuezds . He visited Tepelovo on 2 April 1917

from this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/79762395/5/Soldiers-and-their-wives

Kiran Ravi is a very Indian name. I think Roy was probably expressing something about his ethnicity, in choosing it for his son.

Thank you for all the interesting facts on this case, it's been a great read - I'd love to read the book! I have found it realllly suspicious that a wealthy, childless couple dedicated to raising gourmet poultry (with an established market) should just --happen-- to end up with a housekeeper who -coincidentally- has a recipe for .. gourmet poultry goods... -and- ... a really cute little boy... who is more than happy to share both... and even takes the name of her employers (who does that??)

.. and then the wife vanishes - with all oddness about that ... right after changing her will... on the same day Parsons is going to meet -some Russians- about another gourmet recipe..

...and then the housekeeper marries her employer...

I'd really like to know how, exactly, Anna came into the employ of Parsons' sister. I am eyeballing the whole thing as an elaborate setup, since coincidence runs way too thick here.

Well, I'm going away more often. I come back and.......the info! All Kudos to Pink Panther, Ausgirl and everyone else! This thread is interesting enough to be a book all on its own, Marilynilpa. What a shame we couldn't help you read through all those documents; this thread would really start to fly!

This case really is a classic murder mystery, but with all the implications of the Russian connection thrown in. So here's my next question, does anyone here speak good Russian? Or know anyone who does? I know a lot of people with school Russian, but I think we need more to find out about Anna.

And I do think Anna holds the key here.........and Ausgirls' suspicions are opening up a whole new avenue for me.

Might be nothing.. but there's this:

from this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/79762395/5/Soldiers-and-their-wives

Kiran Ravi is a very Indian name. I think Roy was probably expressing something about his ethnicity, in choosing it for his son.

Thank you for all the interesting facts on this case, it's been a great read - I'd love to read the book! I have found it realllly suspicious that a wealthy, childless couple dedicated to raising gourmet poultry (with an established market) should just --happen-- to end up with a housekeeper who -coincidentally- has a recipe for .. gourmet poultry goods... -and- ... a really cute little boy... who is more than happy to share both... and even takes the name of her employers (who does that??)

.. and then the wife vanishes - with all oddness about that ... right after changing her will... on the same day Parsons is going to meet -some Russians- about another gourmet recipe..

...and then the housekeeper marries her employer...

I'd really like to know how, exactly, Anna came into the employ of Parsons' sister. I am eyeballing the whole thing as an elaborate setup, since coincidence runs way too thick here.
Very good points. I'd like to know who and where 5 year old Roy was before joining his mother at the home. I'm intrigued at the possibility of Roy being William's son. I didn't realize that Ana and Roy took the Parson's name BEFORE Alice disappeared. How would she be okay with that?

First reports were that a blood stained axe was found. Don't know what became of that. Maybe it was determined it was used on the chickens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back