NY NY - Andover, Davis Hill Rd, WhtMale 25-50, UP16681, nude, headless & handless, scars, Aug'86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

To be clear when I say this, I am NOT talking about this case-- but I know of another cold case a while back (post GED match) in the general area-- where the NYSP were very eager to hit the ground running with I think maybe an exhumation?, DNA retrieval, genetic genealogy etc. and they were at a stand still because of RED TAPE. Like I can't stress enough what a nightmare it was back then for state agencies. At that time there was one grant per year through the DOJ for such stuff and if you missed the deadline to apply for that grant you were SOL until next year. Didn't matter if a local funeral director or coroner etc. were willing to donate some services or if you found an outside lab willing to do the work: things HAD to be approved & funded under really strict guidelines with state agencies. I recall reading approx 1.5 yrs ago that some NY legislation would fix it? Or the NYSP policies were hoping to be changed to accommodate? Or the state police crime labs had to get new certification to qualify for handling or processing genealogy work? I can't recall, but it was really tying the NYSP's hands and expected to change very soon! I'm sure by now all the NYSP BCI guys across the state with cold cases are in the midst of tons of progress as a result.

Also; a correction to an earlier post because I found an old email that I sent myself. In regards to the crime scene pics, it was a CANADIAN artist of some sort that somehow got the pics & had them in his gallery (I had stated NYC earlier) My mind is blown how this guy got his hands on them (or why there are even actual art galleries full of this ), but here's a general link to one of his pages. The pics are in the very first slide show at the top called
"History of Crime 2018" and are very small thumbnails- so no trigger "cover" is needed. MAJOR trigger warning for most of the pics should you choose to go from there. I'm not trying to be gory, just trying to show anyone who's interested how callous & seemingly "professional" this crime was. It is also SO inconsistent with the local area as well. WEIRD..

History of Crime 2018

This is great information, and I'd wondered about one connection that I noticed. Back in those days S.R. 17 was the main drag route across the Southern Tier, look at how many body dumps and desecrated corpse cases happened along 17 or nearby, all the way from Ramapo to virtually Jamestown.

Jamestown had a lot of organized crime activity, as did other Upstate cities (Rochester, Buffalo, Batavia, etc.). The Apalachin Conference happened st a residence owned by a major mob guy out of New York, in 1957, that town is along old 17. Other mob families were based in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. All the cities listed above had links to each other via organized crime in those days.

17 would have been a road that mob types probably used due to it being mostly rural and kind of easy to use to get across the expanse of NY State.

417 is a road that runs kind of parallel and just north of 17, right near where the Andover Doe was found.

Just food for thought.

JMO

All good thoughts! Being from the area though, I can say that although the map makes it all look easy & convenient-- Andover is really not just a hop, skip & jump off of SR 17 (86 now).... it's RURAL. BIG CITY guys would have had thousands of viable rural options without having to come this far. It just doesn't feel like an area you'd come to -to hide a body unless you were somewhat familiar with the area? Hunting or raised in the area? Or a more local organized crime group from Jamestown/Olean or Buff/Roch. They clearly wanted the body found, just not in their back yard. Here's another pic I just found in my stuff.

Attachments

• img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 9
This is great information, and I'd wondered about one connection that I noticed. Back in those days S.R. 17 was the main drag route across the Southern Tier, look at how many body dumps and desecrated corpse cases happened along 17 or nearby, all the way from Ramapo to virtually Jamestown.

Jamestown had a lot of organized crime activity, as did other Upstate cities (Rochester, Buffalo, Batavia, etc.). The Apalachin Conference happened st a residence owned by a major mob guy out of New York, in 1957, that town is along old 17. Other mob families were based in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. All the cities listed above had links to each other via organized crime in those days.

17 would have been a road that mob types probably used due to it being mostly rural and kind of easy to use to get across the expanse of NY State.

417 is a road that runs kind of parallel and just north of 17, right near where the Andover Doe was found.

Just food for thought.

JMO

All good thoughts! Being from the area though, I can say that although the map makes it all look easy & convenient-- Andover is really not just a hop, skip & jump off of SR 17 (86 now).... it's RURAL. BIG CITY guys would have had thousands of viable rural options without having to come this far. It just doesn't feel like an area you'd come to -to hide a body unless you were somewhat familiar with the area? Hunting or raised in the area? Or a more local organized crime group from Jamestown/Olean or Buff/Roch. They clearly wanted the body found, just not in their back yard. Here's another pic I just found in my stuff.

@Falling Down --The Apalachin Conference happened st a residence owned by a major mob guy out of New York, in 1957, that town is along old 17. Other mob families were based in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. All the cities listed above had links to each other via organized crime in those days.

OMG! I completely missed your Apalachian Conference idea! You're so right. That's a DIRECT route! Did it only happen once in 1957 or annually? Now I need to google that to death. Wonder if "mobster Joseph "Joe the Barber" Barbara" still owned the house in 1970? Either way- looks like a ton of families got pretty familiar with how remote it is out here. Good eye- I'm giddy lol

Hi all! The road this man was found on is 20 minutes from my home. I have a large interest in true crime, which has led me to wondering about unidentified does in my county and surrounding counties. This is Allegany County's only Doe in NamUs and I'm very interested in helping to find answers for this man. This is the first time digging into this type of thing so if anyone has any suggestions on anything I can do to help that would be great! Whatever happened definitely sounds like whoever did this, didn't want him identified. We are far from NYC and the road he was found on is pretty remote. If anyone is still following this case please get in touch with me if I can help! Thank you!

Bumping for this “unidentified deceased”

Attachments

• BDC04236-04AC-4B96-9868-6D2B4F430063.jpeg
    BDC04236-04AC-4B96-9868-6D2B4F430063.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 4
  • 18D6D954-D482-4E42-8356-CB5D11C86521.jpeg
    18D6D954-D482-4E42-8356-CB5D11C86521.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 7FEC44DF-1FCC-4481-AF47-35CFD9E472D3.jpeg
    7FEC44DF-1FCC-4481-AF47-35CFD9E472D3.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 220292C0-8152-4CEC-A53A-8FF4C4B1EADB.png