Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't really like the criticism that people have of how people can lose track of a kid/client.

Have any of you actually worked with a group of autistic kkds, be it in a home or school? Cause if you haven't there's no way for you to realize how difficult it is.

What if one of the other kids is acting up and you have to help calm down before he aggressors it? Just cause these kids autistic, doesn't mean they aren't very tricky/smart. You tirn your back for one second to help a co worker, and some of the kids will elope. Not as easy as people think it is.

As for GPS, there's no way the government would fund it. They won't even fund iPads for the kids despite the fact that it's the easiest and best way for them to communicate. When the government has to cut funds, you should all know by now who gets hurt the most, especially where I live. Funding for kids Elton disabilities

I work with children with Autism. And yes it can be a very challenging situation when a child elopes, but the information we've been given so far does not suggest that his caretakers that day were doing their job, IMO. I wear my tennies every day. When a child runs, I'm on it and other staff are aware of what's going on.

Someone, or more than one someone, was not doing their job, IMO.

Don't really like the criticism that people have of how people can lose track of a kid/client.

Have any of you actually worked with a group of autistic kkds, be it in a home or school? Cause if you haven't there's no way for you to realize how difficult it is.

What if one of the other kids is acting up and you have to help calm down before he aggressors it? Just cause these kids autistic, doesn't mean they aren't very tricky/smart. You tirn your back for one second to help a co worker, and some of the kids will elope. Not as easy as people think it is.

As for GPS, there's no way the government would fund it. They won't even fund iPads for the kids despite the fact that it's the easiest and best way for them to communicate. When the government has to cut funds, you should all know by now who gets hurt the most, especially where I live. Funding for kids Elton disabilities

BBM

True, but no one was seen running after him in the video. They didn't even report him missing for at least half an hour (not sure on the time right now). That's not 'difficult', that's irresponsible.

JMHO

I work with children with Autism. And yes it can be a very challenging situation when a child elopes, but the information we've been given so far does not suggest that his caretakers that day were doing their job, IMO. I wear my tennies every day. When a child runs, I'm on it and other staff are aware of what's going on.

Thanks button wasn't enough. Thanks for what you do, too. :seeya:

This case, as with many others, breaks my heart. How many times do we find the autistic children that go missing end up in the water? Too many times! :(

My heart goes out to his family and friends. This case was just heart-breaking from the get-go. It seems to me that someone was having a rough day, and did not have the patience that he deserved to be treated with that day. ::MOO::

Until recently I worked with autistic teenagers, and we were always told that if one of our pupils ran away from us, we were NOT to follow or give chase. The reason being, they were scared that the kid would run in front of a car, or run further than they originally intended to.

That said, we wouldn't have left it an hour to phone the police/parent to report them missing.

Going back to what the original poster on the subject said - I do agree that just because they are autistic doesn't mean they aren't sneaky/smart. I totally agree with that. One of the teenage boys I worked with was brilliant at evading his care worker/Teaching Assistant - he'd been found up ropes in the PE hall, hiding near the roof; behind the stage and once even locked a member of staff in a little work room!

Sadly a lot of the time teachers, support staff and others who look after these kids day in, day out, aren't properly supported - and sadly, I can imagine a scenario where someone who has had a day/week/month dealing with the same kid trying to "escape", might just lose their sense of reason for a moment, and think "go on then, if that's what you want. I've had enough of chasing you around the school". I'm not saying its right, but I can see how it might have happened.

I'm with you until the end paragraph. I have also worked with many many autistic kids over the years…bolting is a huge issue, terrifying and YES, no chasing them. But you pick up that phone and call asap and you have systems in place, really you should have systems in place to prevent it, but it will happen. It just will. Not sure what is worse, a child bolting into an area totally wooded or a child bolting into a big city. We used to follow, PD would be called, parents would be called. It would be a group effort. Typically, they wouldn't get further than the school grounds as the systems were in place for others to go out and sort of 'run them back in" if that makes sense. BUT, that was the difference of schools in rural or suburban areas to a school on a city block. The schools I worked at stood alone in the center of a field, parking lot, woods. There were MANY doors on all sides of the building so this system could work.

See this post

B & red BM - photos removed

Maybe Avonte had to change his underwear at school. I worked in the school system for years. Teachers of special needs children do keep extra clothes on hand for emergencies. I hope that the student's record would indicate if it happened.
My heart breaks for Avonte and his family.

That's the key, if there was an accident there should be a notation about it, time, etc. Nothing about it should be a mystery. There would be clear documentation of time, who assisted, etc.

As well as a bag with soiled undergarments for parents to take home to clean…….

That's the key, if there was an accident there should be a notation about it, time, etc. Nothing about it should be a mystery. There would be clear documentation of time, who assisted, etc.

As well as a bag with soiled undergarments for parents to take home to clean…….

:goodpost:

I completely agree with every single word on your post, LookingHoping!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot in the way of transparency from the school, the school district, etc., :moo:

Hopefully, it's something that just hasn't been released yet. However, from the verbiage of the news reports (Vanessa Fontaine and family holding out hope based on the difference in the undergarment), it seems to me that no such notification has been made thusfar.

I am literally praying with all I have for some kind of miracle when the forensic analysis results are released on Wednesday.... :please:

May the Oquendo Family feel the love and support that is being sent their way from all over the world :heartbeat:

:goodpost:

I completely agree with every single word on your post, LookingHoping!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot in the way of transparency from the school, the school district, etc., :moo:

Hopefully, it's something that just hasn't been released yet. However, from the verbiage of the news reports (Vanessa Fontaine and family holding out hope based on the difference in the undergarment), it seems to me that no such notification has been made thusfar.

I am literally praying with all I have for some kind of miracle when the forensic analysis results are released on Wednesday.... :please:

May the Oquendo Family feel the love and support that is being sent their way from all over the world :heartbeat:
Yes :( :( this one is breaking my heart, big time … I'm right there with you praying for a miracle. I hope they can feel the love, thoughts, prayers, wishes for strength, all of it.

But the family’s lawyer, David Perecman, said he is concerned about the large Fruit of the Loom underwear found, since Avonte didn’t wear “large” and wore only Hanes.

“If it is him, what that indicates to me is that something happened,” Perecman said. “Someone got a hold of him, moved him. I can’t say they harmed him, but why would the underwear have gotten changed?”

http://nypost.com/2014/01/20/missing-teens-family-fears-foul-play-after-strange-underwear-found/

Police find SKULL in search for missing autistic teenager Avonte as his family says washed up body was wearing unfamiliar underwear

Authorities told DNAinfo that searchers also found a head on Sunday and have now found most of the body. Ten teeth are missing, which could make it hard to identify the body through dental records.

But Avonte's family said they fear foul play if the body is his - because it was wearing unfamiliar underwear.

article-2542791-1ABEBD8F00000578-424_634x423.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-play-police-SKULL-search.html#ixzz2r0F8u2nw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Avonte Oquendo family lawyer gives new details on remains, surveillance video

BBM - Could Avonte tie his own sneakers, it seems this is a pretty important detail, about how tight they were tied.

“The sneakers, apparently, were tied pretty tightly to his feet” Perecman said, adding that the skin condition is good enough to get a print.

In a twist that may have huge implications in for a lawsuit, Perecman also addressed potential new evidence. “There supposedly was audio tape at the front of the school when Avonte was leaving the school, and there were questions asked of him by the school safety agent.”

RELATED: Family of Avonte Oquendo holds out hope until DNA results come back

Perecman says he will not be able to confirm those claims until he has the video, he said. He added that he was only given five videos from non-consecutive cameras; there are twenty on the first floor of the school.

Read more: http://pix11.com/2014/01/20/avonte-...-on-remains-surveillance-video/#ixzz2r0GG8NKX

The Oquendo family's attorney says a footprint might help determine whether remains found along the Queens side of the East River the past few days are Avonte's.

The lawyer for the family of Avonte Oquendo says there's no clear link yet between the human remains found in the East River last week and that of the autistic boy missing since last October, but more remains found over the weekend are being examined as part of the continuing investigation.

A human skull, another arm and some teeth, "presumptively of the same body," were found by police over the weekend, according to attorney David Perecman.

But, Perecman told reporters Monday, "there is no DNA evidence at this point in time" connecting the body parts to Oquendo.

Last week, a human arm, a torso and pair of legs were found just southwest of the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge. Most of the remains were found on a rocky shore near the College Point Yacht Club, about 11 miles from where Avonte disappeared more than three months ago.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...uman-Remains-East-River-Queens-241197141.html

Until recently I worked with autistic teenagers, and we were always told that if one of our pupils ran away from us, we were NOT to follow or give chase. The reason being, they were scared that the kid would run in front of a car, or run further than they originally intended to.

That said, we wouldn't have left it an hour to phone the police/parent to report them missing.

Going back to what the original poster on the subject said - I do agree that just because they are autistic doesn't mean they aren't sneaky/smart. I totally agree with that. One of the teenage boys I worked with was brilliant at evading his care worker/Teaching Assistant - he'd been found up ropes in the PE hall, hiding near the roof; behind the stage and once even locked a member of staff in a little work room!

Sadly a lot of the time teachers, support staff and others who look after these kids day in, day out, aren't properly supported - and sadly, I can imagine a scenario where someone who has had a day/week/month dealing with the same kid trying to "escape", might just lose their sense of reason for a moment, and think "go on then, if that's what you want. I've had enough of chasing you around the school". I'm not saying its right, but I can see how it might have happened.

I agree. We don't chase children, because it's not safe and also because it can become a game where we end up running/chasing every day. That said, we

NEVER EVER EVER EVER LET AN AUTISTIC CHILD OUT OF YOUR SITE.

(Not yelling at you, just capping to stress how much we rely on this "golden rule".)

We don't chase, but we do run. We need to be not only in visual contact, but also close enough to effectively intervene on the student's behalf. Is it easy? No. Ideally, if I am lucky enough to be on a cooperative, working classroom/school team, then another staff has been paying attention to how long the eloping child and myself have been out of the classroom. I have hid around corners and kept a visual eye on a child who is testing me, while another staff walks by and says, "want me to block the other end of the hallway?". Teamwork. I have shouted "I need help" at the top of my lungs when I felt a situation warranted it.

Now. I have worked with crappy paras and I have worked with crappy teachers in my time. I won't even go into the details, but kids have run and staff have not followed. Expecting others to do it for them, being lazy, not noticing because they were texting on their phone instead of doing their job. :banghead:

I work on a great team right now, and am fortunate to do so, because I have also worked in schools where lack of support/teamwork is the norm.

Bottom line for me is, someone wasn't doing their job.

I also want to acknowledge what you said Brian-teaching a child who has Autism is hard. It's dang hard. And it's draining. I have had kids hit me, kick me, spit on me, head-butt me, run their fingers through their butt-crack and wipe it on me, run from me, and completely ignore me.

Sometimes I want to cry. But foremost in my thoughts at every moment is the idea that this child is someone's baby. Out in the world. Under my care. And I have a responsibility for not only their learning, but their safety.

NBC News: DNA tests confirm human remains found in Queens, NY are that of missing autistic teen Avonte Oquendo.

I have heard that some schools will change undergarments if they become soiled, and sometimes keep a supply on hand (not always supplied by parents - or properly matched to the correct child after laundering) -- I realize this is broad speculation, but perhaps the underwear can be attributed to the school rather than a predator :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watercolor611
Back