NY NY - Brooklyn, 60 Fleet Walk, BlkMale 30-50, UP8101, naked, rolling in mud, scars, Jan'90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Warning PM

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case NumberK90-00744
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years)30-50
Estimated Year of Death1990
Estimated PMIMinutes
Height5' 5"(65 inches) , Measured
Weight162 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundJanuary 21, 1990
NamUs Case CreatedNovember 16, 2010
ME/C QA ReviewedNovember 17, 2010
Location Found Map
Street Address60 Fleet WalkBrooklyn, New York
CountyKings County
GPS Coordinates40.694756, -73.981695
Circumstances of RecoveryUnknown black male was found naked, rolling in mud, behind 60 Fleet Walk. Taken to Brooklyn Hospital, where he declined and was pronounced.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptioncurly
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Descriptionmustache and beard
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
12" scar on right side from right chest to the back, irregular scars on right arm

Clothing and Accessories

Adress
Google Maps

Was he high on drugs? naked in january rolling in mud?

Perhaps he had Hypothermia? Hypothermia can cause people to think they are hot so they often remove their clothes right before they die. Not sure why he would roll around in the mud but if there was a large mud puddle, perhaps he thought it would cool him down? In reality, if he had hypothermia his core temp was already very low and rolling in cold mud or any water at would drop his temp more.
He has a recognizable face. How sad he is still unidentified.

MOO.

Last edited:
This caught my attention, as he was obviously alive when they found him.

I bet hypothermia is a good bet considering he was naked and it was January in New York. I wonder if there is any other medical condition that could cause him to decline so rapidly? Seizures? That wouldn't explain the state of undress, though.

definitely weird circumstances! really wish cause of death was available, don't know about hypothermia because if he was in a state of vigorous rolling i dont know how he could have deteriorated quickly especially with medical intervention...
looking for men of his appearance / height / age on NamUs...
Lawrence Verdell, recently discharged from the military. Asked his mum for some money and then left. I think that facially he is very similar, even clean-shaven.
Original

Danny Lee Mitchell - last seen walking to a bar. Don't know about this one...a little too tall, and I doubt the MP would read as an involuntary disappearance.
Original

Rex Allen Murray - not much known, just was known to be in downtown Phoenix. His pictures are so blurry but he has a similar round face.
murray_rex.jpg

Wow. What an odd case- I'm inclined to think hypothermia as well. He looks super similar to Lawrence Verdell, but the one thing throwing me off is the scar on the UID's chest. It's a foot long so it has to be pretty noticeable, and if Verdell had such a scar I feel like his family would have reported it. The location makes me think lung surgery?

Wow. What an odd case- I'm inclined to think hypothermia as well. He looks super similar to Lawrence Verdell, but the one thing throwing me off is the scar on the UID's chest. It's a foot long so it has to be pretty noticeable, and if Verdell had such a scar I feel like his family would have reported it. The location makes me think lung surgery?
i agree, a foot long scar from chest to back would match up with a thoracotamy scar from a lung operation. I don’t think a scar not being reported is a deal-breaker, as it could have happened between LV’s last contact (1979) and UID’s recovery (1990).

i agree, a foot long scar from chest to back would match up with a thoracotamy scar from a lung operation. I don’t think a scar not being reported is a deal-breaker, as it could have happened between LV’s last contact (1979) and UID’s recovery (1990).

I didn't even pay attention to the fact that it had been so long. I agree, he could have easily gotten the scar over the 11-year period if he was LV. The fact that he was recently discharged from the military makes me think he could have developed PTSD and dropped off the grid due to that?

I called it to to Camden County PD (I couldnt find an email or FB messenger option to make it a bit less awkward), I gave the LVs name and the UIDs NamUs ID number... lady on the other end sounded confused but she took the information down and said she would pass it along.
I hope Camden PD actually takes this seriously and looks into it. If anything, it will be the UIDs first rule-out....

I called it to to Camden County PD (I couldnt find an email or FB messenger option to make it a bit less awkward), I gave the LVs name and the UIDs NamUs ID number... lady on the other end sounded confused but she took the information down and said she would pass it along.
I hope Camden PD actually takes this seriously and looks into it. If anything, it will be the UIDs first rule-out....

Thank you so much! I agree, I really hope they take it seriously. Let me know what you hear.

It's been 10 days since I called Camden County PD's tipline, I haven't gotten a call back and no rule-outs have been added to NamUs... I don't know the average timeline of these procedures but it's looking like they might have just ignored my call o_O

got impatient and contacted the only agency under the UID's contacts - the NYC Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. was able to leave an e-mail, which I think is a better approach as you can leave links and sound a bit more eloquent :rolleyes:

I got a reply from the OCME - good to know that they have their own MPs Unit, and in the future I'll use that email (missingpersonsday@ocme.nyc.gov).

"
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME).

We’d suggest you share any information that could be helpful in solving the below-mentioned case with the NYPD’s Missing Persons Squad, as well as OCME’s Missing Persons Unit [which can be contacted at missingpersonsday@ocme.nyc.gov or (212) 323-1201].

Your communication will be shared with the Anthropologist listed in NAMUS for review.

Thanks,

Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
520 1st Avenue

New York, NY 10016

212-447-2030

"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics