Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it would not have been odd back then, I did it ....never had a visit from a truint officer ect.....back in the 70s there were ALOT of high school dropouts, I was out for an entire year (must have lost my mind) even when I re-enrolled it was not much of an issue, now days you just try to miss the required number of days and they will fine the parents,( my daughter missed too many one year) she got taken to county jail and I went to court and paid 250.00

wow, i had no idea kids were put in jail for truancy; sorry you had to experience that. :( when i first started looking at unidentified people, i was totally bewildered by how many children of all ages are found and remain unidentified. makes me wonder where the social workers were, at least for very young children. i mean, haven't close tabs always been kept on elementary-aged kids, at least?

I graduated high school in 1971. At 16, you didn't need permission to drop out in most places. 16 was old enough to get work and move out. You weren't legally an adult but the cops weren't going to send you back to your parents either. That was starting to change by about 1976 and by 1979 it would have been a lot harder, depending on where you lived.

It was not uncommon for kids to be kicked out, especially earlier in the decade.

People hitched freely, too. By 1979 it was getting a little more dangerous but it was widely believed that hitching rides with truckers at truck stops was a lot safer, especially for a young woman alone.

I can totally see Cali probably dropping out with her family's blessings, not even having to have been necessarily kicked out. I can imagine her just being neglected or allowed to do whatever she wanted, and likely having come from a low-income family. The lack of dental care, and as the autopsy report states, probable lack of any medical care during her life, also points to having been neglected, or coming from a low-income family, or a large family, or any combination of those things.

All that leads me to wonder if she hadn't just dropped out of high school and started travelling the summer and fall just before she was killed. The pollens found on her could have represented a place or places that she'd just been visiting during the summer and early fall, and perhaps she'd been travelling with a different purpose since the beginning of fall, and had made it to Caledonia from whatever warm, sunny place far away, by November, having possibly hitchhiked. Maybe she was travelling to find work, or maybe she was employed in some transient way in the area. She also could have been visiting the nearby racetrack, or looking for work and seeing a race; either of those things could be supported by the way she was dressed and what was found in her stomach.

Even if she was just wearing whatever was practical and available to her, like second-hand clothes, she could have also been arming herself in a way, not dressing too feminine so that she wouldn't be noticed and hassled by men while she was alone, meeting strangers in places unknown to her. She was wearing "earthy" shoes, a boy's plaid shirt and the oversized racing jacket, which I think belonged to the guy who killed her. I remember reading about unidentified girls from the '70s who were found in wooded areas, in skintight dresses and high heels or platforms/wedges...so many of them. It's practical for travelling, working, and protecting yourself, to dress as she was dressed; it also makes sense if she was just very low on money.

Cali could have just been a "tom boy", too, or her dress could have been reflective of where she was from and what kind of family and friends she had. I think she was beautiful, though. In the autopsy report, the measurements and descriptions of her physical features and stature also lead me to believe that people she met could have easily been attracted to her, even if she wasn't super feminine-looking. Maybe she was killed after rejecting some guy's advances, and asking to leave his car or truck, and then he just shot her, dragged her a few feet off the road and shot her again to make sure she was gone.

All of this also makes me wonder if she has siblings. Given what I just imagined about her background, it would make the most sense to me if she had several siblings. She could have also been the child of very young or unprepared parents, or a single mom. Or deceased parents, or even extended family who cared for her. Regardless, I think it would make a lot of sense if she had siblings. In my experience, parents with several kids tend to be much more lax with how much freedom they allow their children. But if it was a larger family with lax rules or unclear expectations for their kids, OR a young or single mother with just her, she would have been searched for by her family if she stopped communicating and never came home, I think, even if they let her do whatever she wanted. So maybe there was a falling out or a bad relationship there, and whoever was left having known her could have died already.

Just my very long and rambling 2 cents! :coffeews:

wow, i had no idea kids were put in jail for truancy; sorry you had to experience that. :( when i first started looking at unidentified people, i was totally bewildered by how many children of all ages are found and remain unidentified. makes me wonder where the social workers were, at least for very young children. i mean, haven't close tabs always been kept on elementary-aged kids, at least?

Not untill the milk carton thingy, I remember wandering off from school a few times but like I said that was the 70s, I do know we have a thread somewhere with a boy missing from school I think he was a 5th grader, oh and yeah lol, I was NOT happy that I had to pay fines, in Denton County I think they can only miss 7 days total, my daughter was offered a two week modeling assignment paying more than I made in 6 months she was a jr. the school would not work with us at all so I let her do it anyhow it was a once in a lifetime thing to me, I didnt want her to miss the experience

Sometimes the lists of missing people from various jurisdictions are not complete; Cali could be known to be among the missing by her family, wherever they are, but not, for some reason, on any of themissing person lists. For example-there is a woman from Staten Island who has been missing since 1975, and she is not on NYPD's missing list OR the missing list that NYSP have compiled, and yet she is missing. This makes it much more difficult to connect the body that was found to the girl who is missing-but if, as some of you have suggested, Cali quit school and left to find her own way in life, her family might never have reported her missing.

I can totally see Cali probably dropping out with her family's blessings, not even having to have been necessarily kicked out. I can imagine her just being neglected or allowed to do whatever she wanted, and likely having come from a low-income family. The lack of dental care, and as the autopsy report states, probable lack of any medical care during her life, also points to having been neglected, or coming from a low-income family, or a large family, or any combination of those things.

All that leads me to wonder if she hadn't just dropped out of high school and started travelling the summer and fall just before she was killed. The pollens found on her could have represented a place or places that she'd just been visiting during the summer and early fall, and perhaps she'd been travelling with a different purpose since the beginning of fall, and had made it to Caledonia from whatever warm, sunny place far away, by November, having possibly hitchhiked. Maybe she was travelling to find work, or maybe she was employed in some transient way in the area. She also could have been visiting the nearby racetrack, or looking for work and seeing a race; either of those things could be supported by the way she was dressed and what was found in her stomach.

Even if she was just wearing whatever was practical and available to her, like second-hand clothes, she could have also been arming herself in a way, not dressing too feminine so that she wouldn't be noticed and hassled by men while she was alone, meeting strangers in places unknown to her. She was wearing "earthy" shoes, a boy's plaid shirt and the oversized racing jacket, which I think belonged to the guy who killed her. I remember reading about unidentified girls from the '70s who were found in wooded areas, in skintight dresses and high heels or platforms/wedges...so many of them. It's practical for travelling, working, and protecting yourself, to dress as she was dressed; it also makes sense if she was just very low on money.

Cali could have just been a "tom boy", too, or her dress could have been reflective of where she was from and what kind of family and friends she had. I think she was beautiful, though. In the autopsy report, the measurements and descriptions of her physical features and stature also lead me to believe that people she met could have easily been attracted to her, even if she wasn't super feminine-looking. Maybe she was killed after rejecting some guy's advances, and asking to leave his car or truck, and then he just shot her, dragged her a few feet off the road and shot her again to make sure she was gone.

All of this also makes me wonder if she has siblings. Given what I just imagined about her background, it would make the most sense to me if she had several siblings. She could have also been the child of very young or unprepared parents, or a single mom. Or deceased parents, or even extended family who cared for her. Regardless, I think it would make a lot of sense if she had siblings. In my experience, parents with several kids tend to be much more lax with how much freedom they allow their children. But if it was a larger family with lax rules or unclear expectations for their kids, OR a young or single mother with just her, she would have been searched for by her family if she stopped communicating and never came home, I think, even if they let her do whatever she wanted. So maybe there was a falling out or a bad relationship there, and whoever was left having known her could have died already.

Just my very long and rambling 2 cents! :coffeews:

I think those are very good observations. I'd especially agree about the large low income family. If there were lots of problems, maybe family moving around to find work, it's pretty easy to lose track of somebody who's independent-minded.

Many of us dressed in that casual "mannish" style in the late 70's, mostly for comfort. It was popular to wear oversized pants and jackets. If I had been bumped off in 1978, I'd have been dressed just about the same way :D

And I agree, she's very pretty and she has a friendly, approachable look to her. (She reminds me a lot of photos of my mother from when she was that age.)

Maybe the reason why she was never reported missing was because it was a loved one who killed her? Maybe the boyfriend with whom she ran off with? I also wonder if there were any signs of her having sex (not raped). If not, then she probably didn't have a boyfriend. That would make me suspect a close family member.

I apologize I have not been able to keep up. Still_Seek_Answers & I have been running a FB page for Chris Sexton age 23 missing 10-14; found deceased 12/6.

We do not know that Cali dropped out of school; we also do not know if she graduated. If she was 18-19; she was considered an adult. It is possible her family tried to report her missing; but was told it's not illegal for an adult to leave.

She was wearing clothing that was popular back then; the shoes she had on were not cheap IIRC. She also had her hair done a few months before; high-lighted & possibly permed.

The meal she had could have been the special for the night.

Ugh, this case haunts me and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. :(

Sometime when I'm off for Christmas holidays, I will write to LE with my questions about possibly submitting her DNA profile to one of those sites and if they can look into a possible Amish or migrant connection. When I get these answers, I will feel better- I want to hear answers from the LE assigned to her case!!!!

Another question to be asked- evidence of sexual activity. She may not have had a boyfriend or "friend w/ benefits" to provide sexual contact on a consistent basis, but she may have prostituted herself. I want to know what LE thinks. Did they ever check her for

If we don't get any leads by July 2014, I am going to write to the National Enquirer about covering her case for the 35th anniversary of her death. No, I don't have contacts at the NE, nor do I supply information to them; however, they recently covered the dismissal of Paula Baniszewski (now Pace) from her teacher's assistant job b/c she did not disclose her conviction for Sylvia Likens' murder in 1965. So, maybe the NE will do this case as a 35th anniversary feature. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I apologize I have not been able to keep up. Still_Seek_Answers & I have been running a FB page for Chris Sexton age 23 missing 10-14; found deceased 12/6.

We do not know that Cali dropped out of school; we also do not know if she graduated. If she was 18-19; she was considered an adult. It is possible her family tried to report her missing; but was told it's not illegal for an adult to leave.

She was wearing clothing that was popular back then; the shoes she had on were not cheap IIRC. She also had her hair done a few months before; high-lighted & possibly permed.

The meal she had could have been the special for the night.

She most likely did not come from money since she had bad teeth.

Ugh, this case haunts me and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. :(

Sometime when I'm off for Christmas holidays, I will write to LE with my questions about possibly submitting her DNA profile to one of those sites and if they can look into a possible Amish or migrant connection. When I get these answers, I will feel better- I want to hear answers from the LE assigned to her case!!!!

Another question to be asked- evidence of sexual activity. She may not have had a boyfriend or "friend w/ benefits" to provide sexual contact on a consistent basis, but she may have prostituted herself. I want to know what LE thinks. Did they ever check her for

If we don't get any leads by July 2014, I am going to write to the National Enquirer about covering her case for the 35th anniversary of her death. No, I don't have contacts at the NE, nor do I supply information to them; however, they recently covered the dismissal of Paula Baniszewski (now Pace) from her teacher's assistant job b/c she did not disclose her conviction for Sylvia Likens' murder in 1965. So, maybe the NE will do this case as a 35th anniversary feature. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I am sending them the info for the DNA comparison; see the questions that I posted
I believe sexual activity was asked; they declined to answer.
Getting press coverage is a great idea! Hopefully we can split this up so that we target a bunch of publications.
Now that Chris Sexton has been found; I can turn my attention to Cali's FB page to try to get it up & running.

12. Will they consider sending her DNA to 23andme to get ancestry line done? It is $99; they may be able to have it donated. It very well could provide a lead to her family name via matching cousins or siblings. Roselvr will provide info

A - Maybe. I would want more information first. We would need to know if we can provide a DNA profile as opposed to a swab. Due to the circumstances, we don't have a swab to send them. but there is already a profile for her based on our exhumation in 2005.

She most likely did not come from money since she had bad teeth.

Sorry; was rushing to get back to Chris Sexton... She possibly had a job at one time. I have had my hair done as well as bought a leather jacket & let my teeth go.

I have to agree that many women will spend money on clothes and accessories sometimes BEFORE taking care of their health. Cali could have done the same.

She may have come from a middle class family. I grew up in an affluent area and had a friend whose father and step-mother basically ignored her.

By her senior year, they let her live in the basement of the townhouse with no parental supervision or discipline whatsoever. She came and go whenever she wanted, going in through the basement entrance. They installed her own phone line and even paid for it!!!

She had to take care of her own health.

Basically, at 15, she came from out west to live with her father and step-mother because she was having problems with her mother. I met her when she was 17. So, within two years of her arrival and the time I met her, something happened with her dad and step-mother.

My friend graduated from high school- to quote her, "barely" graduated high school.She left her dad's townhouse to go back west to live with her mother. She attended community college, but I'm not sure if she finished. I don't speak with her anymore.

Cali could have been in the same situation as my friend. Middle class, but neglected by her caregivers. Doing everything on her own. Letting her teeth go because she wanted to look nice (ex. frosted hair, earthy shoes).

BACK TO MY COURSE OF ACTION:
In the short term, I will ask LE about the Amish or migrant connection. See what they can do.

ANOTHER IDEA:
Are all birth records from her approx birth year online now with the state bureau of vital states? B/maybe LE can get a list of baby girls born with type A- blood? 'Cause that would be on some birth certificate, right? I haven't looked at mine which is from 1979. They could get the type a- blood babies and go from there.

Are all birth records from her approx birth year online now with the state bureau of vital states? B/maybe LE can get a list of baby girls born with type A- blood? 'Cause that would be on some birth certificate, right? I haven't looked at mine which is from 1979. They could get the type a- blood babies and go from there.[/b]

I don't believe blood type goes on birth certificates. I've never seen it on one. You have to run tests to find out what it is, something they don't normally do unless there's a need to know the blood type.

But the birth certificates should be online. I know mine is (1966,) although they have my pre-adoption one up so it has the wrong last name if you're looking for me.

I don't believe blood type goes on birth certificates. I've never seen it on one. You have to run tests to find out what it is, something they don't normally do unless there's a need to know the blood type.

But the birth certificates should be online. I know mine is (1966,) although they have my pre-adoption one up so it has the wrong last name if you're looking for me.

Every baby's blood type is recorded- for statistical purposes, as well as for medical reasons. All newborns are tested for genetic disorders, etc.

You are aware you're talking about a massive needle in the haystack project, right? At best, several hundred thousand girls in tens of thousands of school districts and hospitals, with no way to correlate them because privacy laws likely prevent names from being attached. And that's assuming that the necessary records even exist. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but maybe a little more planning about what you're going to do with these records should you succeed in finding them might help you make better use of your time and LE's.

I stumbled across this girl when I clicked the wrong link on a search for something else. She's Patricia Chesher, who went missing in 1969 at age 12 from Albuquerque, New Mexico. That would make her 22 in 1979, which is a bit too old. She was very small in 1969, only 4' tall and 69 pounds, but she could have grown after that.

Usually I go by circumstances, which are unlikely at best, because I'm not good at the face match thing. But in this case, I see so much resemblance that I wanted to run it by everybody else.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Patricia's Charley page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/chesher_patricia.html
Doenetwork: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2893dfnm.html
NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8865/0/

Okay, now you can laugh at me and tell me it's ridiculous...

She has DNA complete so should have been ruled out, but the resemblance is remarkable:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8865/0/

Every baby's blood type is recorded- for statistical purposes, as well as for medical reasons. All newborns are tested for genetic disorders, etc.

But that data is mostly only available to the parents and the hospital. Otherwise it's only in statistical form: xx number of babies born at yyy hospital in whatever year. It doesn't have names attached.

Ok. This is way out there. Yes, I love buzzfeed, LOL. As I was scrolling the below article, Jason James Richter stood out. Phenotypically I see similarities. Obviously, Cali is NOT the actor, but it would be interesting to see what his heritage is as people do have certain "looks" based on ancestry. Maybe they did a ancestry DNA on Cali, if so…sorry for the post.

enhanced-buzz-1579-1334265766-34.jpg

images-1.jpeg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/100-forgotten-heartthrobs-of-the-80s-and-90s

Ok. This is way out there. Yes, I love buzzfeed, LOL. As I was scrolling the below article, Jason James Richter stood out. Phenotypically I see similarities. Obviously, Cali is NOT the actor, but it would be interesting to see what his heritage is as people do have certain "looks" based on ancestry. Maybe they did a ancestry DNA on Cali, if so…sorry for the post.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/100-forgotten-heartthrobs-of-the-80s-and-90s

I am sending them the info for the ancestry DNA comparison; see the questions that I posted

12. Will they consider sending her DNA to 23andme to get ancestry line done? It is $99; they may be able to have it donated. It very well could provide a lead to her family name via matching cousins or siblings. Roselvr will provide info

A - Maybe. I would want more information first. We would need to know if we can provide a DNA profile as opposed to a swab. Due to the circumstances, we don't have a swab to send them. but there is already a profile for her based on our exhumation in 2005.

I agree, I think she just wasn't reported missing. Often kids and young people who aren't reported missing and turn up dead were killed by a family member, which kind of explains why they weren't reported missing, but I don't think Cali was killed by family; I think she was killed by a man she met while travelling. I can imagine that a lot of people who are genuinely worried and looking for their loved ones don't report them missing to police because they don't know that it's really an option or, more likely, don't want to get involved with police for whatever reasons, and not because they had anything to do with the disappearance of their missing person. So maybe Cali's family didn't know or didn't want to call police, but I think by now, if she had a large family or any close friends that may still be alive, I would think that someone would have tried to find her by now with the help of police. But of course she still may be unidentified just because no one was looking for her then, and no one's looking for her now. I don't really understand how no one could be looking for this girl, but what's almost more inexplicable, IMO, is that no school she attended tried to find her. She could have dropped out of high school - from what we can glean of the kind of person she was just by looking at her, reading her autopsy report, and the place she was found, I think it's likely that she had dropped out. If she hadn't dropped out of school, though, I imagine that schools could be questioned about their student records from 1979 and earlier; they could start with public schools in the areas that coincide with the pollen evidence, like Texas, Florida, etc. I know it would be a needle in a haystack, and I don't know if a public person or even a private investigator could discuss student records with schools due to privacy laws, but I really think that if someone we could comb through educational records, we could find Cali's identity.
This case haunts me like no other.

I think that this is a good idea if these records exist. However I am beginning to think that she may have been above HS age and considered an adult. Hence view as "missing of her own accord" and not reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro