Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really puzzled as to why a grown woman would call up a show, trying to be of assistance, and say something like "Venjiont", being completely off the mark for so many years and stumping so many people. I decided to take some time today, since my little one REFUSES to nap, and do some research on the term "Venjiont", and ladies and gents, I may have cracked it. Now I can't be sure, but here's what I've got:

1) A company in Fulton, NY called VenJoint

2) Fulton, NY had a city, a little coal mining town that was known as Venjoint, or Venjiont, people said it differently as people do, it was also known as Old Fulton. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wJDyCQ&usg=AFQjCNGkpIFy0OeSL09oD7CJgJMw9ngJLg

This may be the "Venjiont", "Venjoint", New York State connection we've been looking for. Maybe she got her clothes from a Goodwill or Salvation Army while up in that area? Anyone know the Fulton area? Is it near where she was found? Was anyone questioned in that region about her disappearance?

-E
Am only halfway through this thread, but Fulton is right across a bridge to Fonda speedway...Fonda, NY...am posting so that it is a place to follow up...Route 5 is a common route from there...and in Fulton, there is a truck stop...or was in the late 70's and early 80s..so note to self...check race dates (used to attend and race there)...and fair dates etc. None of the locations in NY are more than four hours away, except Ohio border to LI...and the reservations are also located near many areas listed as possible locations. It is bad when I have to leave myself notes on WS...old age...I plead old age :facepalm:

Am only halfway through this thread, but Fulton is right across a bridge to Fonda speedway...Fonda, NY...am posting so that it is a place to follow up...Route 5 is a common route from there...and in Fulton, there is a truck stop...or was in the late 70's and early 80s..so note to self...check race dates (used to attend and race there)...and fair dates etc. None of the locations in NY are more than four hours away, except Ohio border to LI...and the reservations are also located near many areas listed as possible locations. It is bad when I have to leave myself notes on WS...old age...I plead old age :facepalm:

No, that's good! She was wearing a promo jacket that had do do with auto sports IIRC. Could she have come to town for a race?

Random rambling thoughts of a crazy person on Cali :cowcouch: Beechut had a plant in Canajoharie, NY...not far from Fonda...they contracted with many farmers to grow acres of corn, and hired many, many workers not from the area...those who know me...already know that I am crazy (what a great compliment)...so she may have had a racing connection in the Fulton-Fonda-Canajoharie area, especially Fonda Raceway(which is the only real excitement in the area)....which easily leads to Rt 20 and Rt 5.

As a young person who was a runaway, (yes there for the grace of God, go I)...am going to send her info to people in the area...often runaways were not reported then...it made your family look bad, and one could easily run away with little consequence...Cali may have been on her way to the NY State fairgrounds, and may just be the girl, in the news photo awards ceremony....she probably had an abusive home life. I feel there is much more to the many scars, burn mark, and the ones left out of the report. NY to FL and back again, was a regular route for many in the 70's.

Beechnut harvested thousands of acres of corn, and other veggies...so it could be possible, she traveled with her family every season...and by November, she should have long been back south/southwest...but what if she didn't want to go??

Would guess she had run off so as to not go south again...her parents would have disowned her at that time in history...wish I were up north...keep warm upstaters~!!! :websleuther:

Hello everyone,
I've been ghost reading this thread for quite some time and have never posted because I really haven't had anything useful to offer yet. I had to separate myself from this case for a while because it was driving me mad but I'm back now and I wonder if anyone could answer a few questions.
First, while I haven't given up searching for Cali's identity, I realize that without her being reported missing, that route has kind of been a dead end for me so I've moved on to her killer, though there is minimal information on this person I think together we can build a pretty decent profile. I'd like to know how reliable the information is about the man Cali was last seen with? (station wagon, sketch etc.) That information could be very helpful if it's all correct.
I remember reading that there were no signs of a struggle at the crime scene which has always bothered me. If Cali knew or was familiar with her killer then it makes sense that she would trust this person who just took her to a cornfield at night, in an area that would other wise be quite frightening to someone her age. If she was not familiar with her killer then what could he have told her to get her there without a struggle? If he threatened her at gun point then why did he wait until after dinner? Then there is the question of whether or not her killer is even the same man she had dinner with.
Her murder strikes me as an execution: no signs of sexual assault, gun shot to the head, second gunshot (was she still alive or was he just making sure because someone wanted her dead or because he was afraid she could identify him), out turned pockets etc. Who would want to execute a teenage girl? did she know something she wasn't supposed to? If so, what could a teenage girl possibly know that was worth her life? I don't see it being a random killing, it was clean, get in-get out, and again, no sexual assault. Also, I'm having a hard time finding similar cases that would lead me to believe it was a serial killer/spree killer, anyone still looking into that theory?
(I'm trying not to go the conspiracy route as it probably was just a simple matter of wrong place wrong time but these little details eat away at me).
I have quite a few more questions but I'll leave it at that for now, I have to get to class! I know the only answerable question was whether or not the information was reliable, still it couldn't hurt to brainstorm and go through it all again.
Thanks in advance guys!

so when I logged in to WS, the first post to catch my eye was the UID from Bolton, UK. She was originally thought to be 18-25, but wound up being 37!!!! (Her name is Rebecca Mey, BTW).

This tells me that we have to look beyond Cali's maximum age of 18 and into her 20's. Rebecca Mey is 12 - 19 years older than her estimated age range. How far should we go with Cali? Maybe 24???

Second, I wrote to LE about them looking into the Amish or migrant slant, specifically Travellers, Tinkers, and Roadies. Waiting for the response.

so when I logged in to WS, the first post to catch my eye was the UID from Bolton, UK. She was originally thought to be 18-25, but wound up being 37!!!! (Her name is Rebecca Mey, BTW).

This tells me that we have to look beyond Cali's maximum age of 18 and into her 20's. Rebecca Mey is 12 - 19 years older than her estimated age range. How far should we go with Cali? Maybe 24???

Second, I wrote to LE about them looking into the Amish or migrant slant, specifically Travellers, Tinkers, and Roadies. Waiting for the response.

It's much easier for an adult (over about 18-21) woman's age to be mis-estimated than a younger teen's age. There are growth plates in the bones that gradually fuse as the person grows, and if they aren't completely fused, you know the person isn't fully grown. So while she might be a little older than the estimate, it's unlikely to be by more than a year or two.

I doubt the age range is wrong for Cali.
Link to an article about Rebecca Mey. They probably took her clothing into consideration.

Mystery surrounds death of Redditch woman found in woodland in Bolton

Identified! UK -Bolton- Female 18-25 October 2013 - Rebecca May

Let's go back to the verified info. Highly doubt they are wrong.

6. AGE RELATED - What was taken into consideration to get her age range? We know wisdom teeth; were growth plates used too? What was the age change from 20 to mid teen based on?

A - There was an original autopsy done at that time by a local doctor who was our County Coroner. There was a follow up exam done as well by someone from the Monroe County Medical Examiners Office. The original doctor thought 19-21 yrs. old. The second examiner estimated her to be 16-18 years of age and described her as "mid to late adolescence". I do not believe growth plates were used in any of these estimates. X Rays done at that time showed what the doctor described as a "lack of bone development for someone over 18 years old". He then estimated her at 16 years of age, plus or minus 2 years.

A few of us got together to write a list of questions; Nameless Helper offered to be the one to speak to LE.

VERIFIED INFORMATION
Per Nameless Helper phone call 10/1 to LE

1. Blood type is A-
2. Shot first in the head then dragged face down into the field. No effort to hide her. Jacket was red. Road was busier then as the interstate was not built yet.
3. Dental isotopes were done in 05 and last year. First suggested Carolina to Texas. Second south west. Indication I a lot of corn in the diet.
4. His gut reaction is that she was on the older end of the age range given maturity and fewer food additives then accelerating development.
5. They match primarily with DNA and dentals.
6. Native Am heritage is a possibility but month in in the tests can confirm that. They recently flooded the SW with fliers including the reservations but no response.

List of questions 10/3 -
1. Was a tox screen done? We'd like to request a copy of the tox screen, police report and autopsy report. Do we need to use the Freedom of Info act to request it?

A - Tox screen was done and there were no drugs or alcohol in her system. I would be happy to answer any questions you have, but releasing any documents in their entirety may prove detrimental to a prosecution should be ever get to that point. Even though this is most certainly a "cold case", it is still open and being actively investigated.

2. Was it determined where she ate her last meal?

A - It was not determined with certainty, but we believe her last meal was at the Lima Diner. They were the only restaurant within a reasonable distance that served ham and corn the evening before she was found. The witness remembered a male and female coming in and that the female wore a red jacket that appeared too big for her. This witness was unable to positively identify our Jane Doe.

3. Had she ever given Birth?

A - There was no evidence of past or present pregnancy

4. General Hygiene & Hair - Has any info been released on her hygiene beyond her tooth decay? She cared enough to frost her hair approx 4 months before her death. Did the M.E. indicate whether he thought her hair was permed? Did the ME indicate how old her perm was? Did they keep any hair? Was she brushing her teeth? Did she shave her underarms and legs? Remove any facial hairs? Her eyebrows look tweezed, so she had access to a tweezer at some point. If she had been raised or living in the SW as the isotope testing on her teeth as well as the pollen revealed, then most likely she was hitch hiking from area to area. That was common back then. When kids are out on their own, they do not follow the normal routine so knowing the above would be helpful in determining if she was hitching for a while or not. i.e. how long was she likely on her own.

A - Her hygiene appeared to be good. I would surmise that she did brush her teeth, although there was no evidence of any dental care whatsoever. She did appear to have shaved her legs and under her arms. She had minimal facial hair and her eyebrows were normal, not bushy.

5. NECKLACE RELATED - many of us had the same jewelry; it was sold at Grants before they went out of business. Some got theirs through the
mail... Was the turquoise checked to see what region it came from? My understanding is that each mine has different "strains". Perhaps that can pinpoint a location.

A - We have sent the necklace to the FBI lab on two occasions, but to my knowledge there has never been a "location" determined for the turquoise.

6. AGE RELATED - What was taken into consideration to get her age range? We know wisdom teeth; were growth plates used too? What was the age change from 20 to mid teen based on?

A - There was an original autopsy done at that time by a local doctor who was our County Coroner. There was a follow up exam done as well by someone from the Monroe County Medical Examiners Office. The original doctor thought 19-21 yrs. old. The second examiner estimated her to be 16-18 years of age and described her as "mid to late adolescence". I do not believe growth plates were used in any of these estimates. X Rays done at that time showed what the doctor described as a "lack of bone development for someone over 18 years old". He then estimated her at 16 years of age, plus or minus 2 years.

7. TEETH RELATED - What type of dental work was performed by a "foreign" dentist? Had her Canines come all the way down?

A - I have no idea what you mean by foreign dentist. She had never had any type of dental care. Two wisdom teeth had erupted, another was severely eroded and the fourth was still below the gums. Yes, her canines were all the way down.

8. CLOTHING RELATED - Brands and sizes and gender of shirt, pants, and shoes. Brand of panties and size. Did her shoes fit her? Size of her pants, shirt, panties and shoes. Were the pants also mens pants?

A - Her pants were a size 7. Bra was 32C. Blouse was a medium. Jacket was a large. There were no labels or size located on her panties. Shoes were a size 8. I have no information on fitment. I would say the pants were not mens due to size (7)

9. DINER RELATED - What was the name of the Diner ( in LIMA?)? How far from where she was found? Was she wearing the same outfit when at the diner? Since the waitress described the guy she was with, did they act like they knew each other?

A - Lima Diner was the name. The distance from where she was found to the Diner is just under 9 miles. The waitress noted the red jacket that appeared too big for her. The waitress noted that she appeared younger than the male she was with and the waitress assumed maybe they were brother and sister. She did not note any unusual behavior between the two.

10. TRUCKER RELATED - How many truckers actually remembered seeing her hitching? Where was the truck stop that the trucker saw her at (at 20 and 5 or somewhere else?)? How many thought her destination was Boston Mass Vs NY? How many truckers actually admitted seeing her the night before?

A - We checked every restaurant and truck stop headed east between Hopewell, NY (Ontario County) and Caledonia. We did not locate anyone other than the waitress at the Lima Diner who had any information. I am not aware of any truckers that saw her.

11. MISC - What part of her body was the spent slug found under? Since the slug was found under her the shot had to have exited her body, so most likely was the last shot. Were attempts made to get touch DNA off her clothing? If she was drug by feet into the cornfield, there should be touch DNA on her somewhere. The slug being under her says to me, the killer did not turn her over. Yet, no harm in checking that since one of us will have him on the phone anyway, right?

A - The slug entered her back and exited under her left arm near her breast. The slug was located while sifting the dirt under the body. Its location was consistent with the exit wound. We believe she was shot in the head at the shoulder of the road. Then dragged into the field by the feet face down. She was then shot again in the back. There was no such thing as touch DNA back then. Therefore, the evidence was not handled like we would today. Touch DNA was completed on the evidence, but was done recently.

12. Will they consider sending her DNA to 23andme to get ancestry line done? It is $99; they may be able to have it donated. It very well could provide a lead to her family name via matching cousins or siblings. Roselvr will provide info

A - Maybe. I would want more information first. We would need to know if we can provide a DNA profile as opposed to a swab. Due to the circumstances, we don't have a swab to send them. but there is already a profile for her based on our exhumation in 2005.

Exactly. The lack of bone development tells us she was most likely under 18. Also her grooming did not indicate a street person. She had no excess hair on her legs, her toenails are not listed as being unkempt, nor is anything else about her. So if she was homeless I'd guess it was very recent to her death. There was nothing odd noted at the diner when she had dinner. The waitress had the impression the man with her was a brother, so that makes one think she was comfortable and at ease with him. Yet a short time later she was laying dead in a cornfield.

Exactly. The lack of bone development tells us she was most likely under 18. Also her grooming did not indicate a street person. She had no excess hair on her legs, her toenails are not listed as being unkempt, nor is anything else about her. So if she was homeless I'd guess it was very recent to her death. There was nothing odd noted at the diner when she had dinner. The waitress had the impression the man with her was a brother, so that makes one think she was comfortable and at ease with him. Yet a short time later she was laying dead in a cornfield.

I had always believed that it was a family member or loved one that killed her, hence the absence of any identification.

I had always believed that it was a family member or loved one that killed her, hence the absence of any identification.

It would make it more likely that she had never been reported missing. Her killer wouldn't want that information to come out.

It would make it more likely that she had never been reported missing. Her killer wouldn't want that information to come out.

Yes, but her not being reported missing wouldn't hinder law enforcement's attempts to identify her via outreach and publicizing her case.

Yes, but her not being reported missing wouldn't hinder law enforcement's attempts to identify her via outreach and publicizing her case.

Oh, no, did not mean to imply that at all. That was only about the question of why she doesn't appear to have been reported missing. In the past we've focused on things like neglect, runaway, foster child dropped through the cracks, that sort of thing -- none of which really fit all that well.

New gal on NamUs Jennifer Prince, missing from NJ in 1978. White, brown hair, but a little taller at 5'7". No picture yet:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/22939/0/

As a follow-up to Jennifer Prince.

Her maiden name is Jennifer Ann Conte DOB 30-Aug-1957. She was born in Texas.

She wore braces when she was 14 years old, and had just given birth a few months prior to her disappearance, so this is probably not Cali.

Roselvr, have to say I am so impressed with your informative breakdown of this case. My posts are not always "informative" or "Helpful" I tend to try to listen more. I can tell this case really bothers you. I commend you for your dedication. This one really bothers me too. It's that one clue overlooked, that one person in an old photo. I believe she will get her name back, I know it.

One sure would not think it would. Yet her case has been publicized time after time.....sadly with no results. It makes no sense to me either, you'd think in all these years somebody would have spoke up.

Equinista,

Where is Benoit, NY? Am looking on google, but only come up with info, including maps, for Benoit Bistro at 60 West 55th St, New York, NY 10019.

Also got a Benoit, Mississippi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member