GUILTY NY - Carlina White, 3 wks, Harlem, 4 Aug 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just got a CNN e-mail alert:

-- Woman suspected in 1987 kidnapping of infant turns herself in to police in Connecticut, law enforcement source tells CNN.

Carlina White: happy ending sparks wave of missing children calls

The missing children's group that last week reconnected US kidnap victim Carlina White with her real parents has said that calls to its helpline doubled during the day on which the extraordinary reunion made headlines around the world.

Officials with the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) said White's case – in which she approached them to confirm her suspicions about the woman who had posed as her mother – raised the prospect of many more such cases being solved. Last Thursday alone the volume of calls to the group's telephone helpline doubled and at least 200 inquiries have been sent to its analysis unit for further investigation.

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/23/carlina-white-kidnap-reunion

One of the articles I read today was an interview or statement by an acquaintance of Ann Pettway. She talked about what a good mother she is, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It seems Ann Pettway has a teenage son who plays with this woman's boy.

Ehhh, me thinks LE needs to check another DNA!:waitasec:

JMHO
fran

Woman confesses to 1987 Harlem baby kidnapping

She faces up to life in prison if convicted and is due back in court on February 7.

Pettway told investigators she had been dealing with the stress of several miscarriages.

"She's pretty upset," said Robert Baum, her attorney. "She understands the gravity of the charges."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70N5JM20110124

She probably cant run anymore, and will have room, food, medical care for life :maddening:

'FBI: North Carolina Woman Confesses to Snatching New York Baby in 1987"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/24/north-carolina-woman-raised-new-york-baby-faces-kidnap-charges/

After she had trouble having her own? Yes, they may want to check her 'Son".

I agree but I think it is unlikely.

Carlina would have been 10 years old when her "brother" was born. Surely that's old enough to notice whether her "mother" showed signs of pregnancy.

Then again, women have been known to deliberately gain weight and wear pads under their clothing to fake pregnancy, so who knows? A DNA check is a good idea.

Assuming the son is Ann Pettway's biological son, I hope his father can step up and provide a good home. This has to be incredibly shocking and devastating for him to be dealing with. He's only 13 years old.

I agree but I think it is unlikely.

Carlina would have been 10 years old when her "brother" was born. Surely that's old enough to notice whether her "mother" showed signs of pregnancy.

Then again, women have been known to deliberately gain weight and wear pads under their clothing to fake pregnancy, so who knows? A DNA check is a good idea.

Assuming the son is Ann Pettway's biological son, I hope his father can step up and provide a good home. This has to be incredibly shocking and devastating for him to be dealing with. He's only 13 years old.

She could have told her he was adopted.

Kidnap victim's lack of birth certificate should have been red flag

The Department of Children and Familes has disclosed that it opened a case in 2005 for the girl who was abducted from a New York City hospital in 1987 and raised in Bridgeport under a false identity.

The disclosure highlights one of several times in which state officials might have unraveled what would become the longest case of kidnapping by a stranger in modern American history.

DCF To Investigate Its Handling Of Girl's Case

The state Department of Children and Families has launched an internal investigation into the department's handling of a case involving a girl kidnapped as an infant 23 years ago.

"It is important to acknowledge where we fell down and what we can do to improve our system,'' DCF Commissioner Joette Katz said during a brief press conference called Tuesday to announce her leadership team.

[snip]

Katz noted that DCF helped the girl obtain housing and a college degree but was unable to help her reunite her with her family.

"Where we failed — and I chose that word carefully … was to fully acknowledge that this young lady was looking for her family,'' Katz said. "We didn't fully appreciate that there was a family out there … and a family that for 23 years [was] looking for their child.''

More: http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-dcf-investigation-carlina-white-20110201,0,4608221.story

Carlina's real mother was on the Today show this morning. She said Carlina has not come back to see her real parents. She kept asking them about money. They had a trust for her (if she was found by 21) from the settlement they got from the hosipital. Carlina wanted to know where that money was. Carlina also said she is not doing interviews unless she is paid. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20464502,00.html

Carlina's real mother was on the Today show this morning. She said Carlina has not come back to see her real parents. She kept asking them about money. They had a trust for her (if she was found by 21) from the settlement they got from the hosipital. Carlina wanted to know where that money was. Carlina also said she is not doing interviews unless she is paid. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20464502,00.html

:(

Split Leaves Carlina White's Mother 'Heartbroken' Again

Sorrow has replaced happiness a second time for a mother recently reunited with her daughter who was snatched from a New York hospital 23 years ago and raised by another woman.

Joy White met Carlina White, the daughter she feared was lost forever, in a joyous reunion last month. But the relationship has become complicated. Carlina White, now 23, has become distant and is asking questions about money related to her disappearance, according to NBC's "Today" show.

More: http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/08/split-leaves-carlina-whites-mother-heartbroken-again/

Carlina White's reunion with her mother Joy after 23 years apart turns sour

>>>>Snip

the American saga has rapidly turned from heart-warming to heartache. And Miss White fears she has lost her child for a second time after the feelgood fairy tale apparently descended into a financial feud over hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Carlina White was raised as Nejdra Nance in nearby Connecticut by Ann Pettway, the woman who is now in custody suspected of abducting her from Harlem Hospital in 1987. As an adult, Carlina, known as Miss Nance, moved to Georgia with her own young daughter Samani.

And she has now flown back to Atlanta, reverted to calling herself "Netty" and barely been in touch with Miss White since those initial few days together – except, says her mother, to ask about an old compensation deal.

"It's like we're two strangers, we don't know each other," Miss White revealed in a television interview last week. "She asked a lot of questions about the money, but it's gone. We don't have the money."

>>>>>>>>>snip

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ther-Joy-after-23-years-apart-turns-sour.html

Carlina White, biological mother, estranged since miraculous reunion, Joy White says

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snip

The few times her daughter has called in recent weeks have been to ask about the $750,000 settlement the family received from Harlem Hospital for Carlina's kidnapping, Joy White told NBC's "Today" show.

Half went to the parents; the other half went to a trust that was to go to Carlina if she were found by age 21. She wasn't.

"It's gone, we don't have the money," Joy White said. "At the time, things were really rocky with me. I have two other kids, and I had to take care of myself."

"Everything was great; I was on such a high when I first reunited with my daughter," Joy White said.

"I'm her mom, but she's with that family, and that's all she knows."

"I'm disappointed," she said. "It really hurts me that it's about money."

Reached on her cell phone, Carlina White said she has no immediate plans to visit New York City.

>>>>>>>>>>>>snip

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...lous_reunion_joy_white_say.html#ixzz1DzsL5jtO

SAD ENDING :(
Money $$$ who would have thought:waitasec:
Well....$$$ does get in the way sometimes....

It is sad money has been a cause of stress which may have contributed to Carlina being estranged from her parents once again. (I refuse to call them birth parents because she was not adopted and I will not 'give that' to her kidnapper.)

Anyhoo - I think it is reasonable for Carlina to have questions about the money. 750,000 is a substantial amount and if half was to be in a trust for her until two years ago I think the questions are reasonable. Yes, things were rough for her mothers. I fully understand that. We've seen how parents of missing children struggle, however Carlina is a victim here too. She had a every bit of life as she was supposed to have it stolen from her and has every right imo, to be struggling with questions. We don't know if the trust was mishandled, we don't know if the money is gone due to the economy. We just don't know and I do think it is unfair for her mom to be lashing out at her for struggling with some possible questions she may be having. Wouldn't it be expected for the reality of all of this to sink in and be tough for Carlina too?

I will keep this family in my prayers that they are able to overcome these obstacles and are able to find some peace with what has already happened that they can't change and are able to facilitate a good happy relationship among them.

I do hope Carlina has resources available to her for whatever she may be dealing with as a result of knowing she was an abducted child.

JMVHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alwaysseeking
Back