Found Deceased NY - Casie Weese, 37, husband says she walked away after they had flat tire, Apalachin, 1 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Casie Weese's body found in Apalachin, NY four days after her disappearance

New York State Police discovered the body around 12:51 p.m. along the eastbound side of the highway, in a wooded area near a fence line that runs parallel to routes 17 and 434.

Later in the afternoon, police confirmed the body was Weese, a 37-year-old Glen Aubrey woman who was reported missing Sunday morning.

The cause and manner of her death are being investigated.

"Our condolences go out to the Weese family at this time," said New York State Police Captain Erik Dauber.

such unfortunate news :( I hope they discover it's truly an accident so the family can have peace of mind.

My daughter just traveled from Owego > Vestal which goes through Apalachin and she said part of the Hwy was blocked off at approximately 5pm (est) so it took her a while to get there.

Very sad and my thoughts are with her daughter and husband. I still feel it was nothing to do with the husband and he will (unnecessarily) feel guilty about letting her walk away.

MOO
Two daughters. The older one who first contacted LE (19 or 20ish) and an 11 year old. And husband. I can’t put into words how much I hate it when kids lose a mom. Rips me every time.

Based on? Why not hypothermia or seizing from MD? Just wanting to hear your logic?

Just based on the fact that it's a dark stretch of road, with traffic moving at speed. Even if she was found on the route 434 side of the fence, it's also not well-lit and she was wearing dark clothing. Doesn't mean I'm right, but people have been hit and killed on the highway in the past -- I can think of two people just in the past 10 years, right in the same relative area -- and there is no shortage of wildlife killed every week along through there. Neither road is designed for pedestrian travel and there are no sidewalks or a safe lane for walking.

Could it be hypothermia? Sure, it's as reasonable an assumption as any, but there wasn't any type of place where she could have been attempting to burrow, and I haven't seen any mention of paradoxical disrobing. I know that people with hypothermia exhibit unpredictable behavior, but if she was walking route 434, she passed a number of places at which she could have taken shelter so it would seem odd to walk off the shoulder of the road to shelter against a chain-link fence, and if she was walking on the interstate she could have easily flagged down a passing vehicle, or at least brought attention to herself. It's sure possible that she was walking on the interstate, tried to get off by scaling the fence and when she failed, sat down and succumbed to exposure.

Could it be MD? Equally as reasonable, but I don't know enough about the disease to formulate any valid scenario in my head. I've only known one person with MD, and in the time we worked together he didn't share a whole lot about his experience.

Whatever turns out to be the cause, I do hope that she didn't experience any suffering. It's a tragic situation, no question.

Just based on the fact that it's a dark stretch of road, with traffic moving at speed. Even if she was found on the route 434 side of the fence, it's also not well-lit and she was wearing dark clothing. Doesn't mean I'm right, but people have been hit and killed on the highway in the past -- I can think of two people just in the past 10 years, right in the same relative area -- and there is no shortage of wildlife killed every week along through there. Neither road is designed for pedestrian travel and there are no sidewalks or a safe lane for walking.

Could it be hypothermia? Sure, it's as reasonable an assumption as any, but there wasn't any type of place where she could have been attempting to burrow, and I haven't seen any mention of paradoxical disrobing. I know that people with hypothermia exhibit unpredictable behavior, but if she was walking route 434, she passed a number of places at which she could have taken shelter so it would seem odd to walk off the shoulder of the road to shelter against a chain-link fence, and if she was walking on the interstate she could have easily flagged down a passing vehicle, or at least brought attention to herself. It's sure possible that she was walking on the interstate, tried to get off by scaling the fence and when she failed, sat down and succumbed to exposure.

Could it be MD? Equally as reasonable, but I don't know enough about the disease to formulate any valid scenario in my head. I've only known one person with MD, and in the time we worked together he didn't share a whole lot about his experience.

Whatever turns out to be the cause, I do hope that she didn't experience any suffering. It's a tragic situation, no question.
Great local perspective & history- thanks! What’s the speed limit in there? My only thought about hit & run is that it seems like she would have been closer to the road & spotted earlier. Is there a ditch or drop-off there?

I’m guessing not too hard to see- another poster reported driving by this morning & seeing LE & a tarped area. Maybe muscles seized up from MS? Jmo

I do not know if that is what I actually saw this morning when I came through on the way to work, there were DOT vehicles gathering and a large clear plastic tarp spread out on the ground on the opposite side of the road. Tonight there was a dark-colored tarp covering the fence that divides the interstate from route 434. I have driven past her location twice a day every day this week, and despite actively looking along the sides of the highway, I did not see anything, she was not readily visible.

Great local perspective & history- thanks! What’s the speed limit in there? My only thought about hit & run is that it seems like she would have been closer to the road & spotted earlier. Is there a ditch or drop-off there?

The speed limit on the interstate is 65, so traffic is usually sailing along about 80. The speed limit on the route 434 side is 55 (although it might actually be 50, it changes right in that area somewhere) and so traffic probably runs 55/60. 434 isn't busy late at night -- that area is mostly residential with a few businesses along the way -- but there is a decent amount of traffic on the interstate.

The two highways run parallel to each other, with a chain-link fence that divides them. It does dip down in the center, along the fence line, but it's not a terribly steep grade, not what I would call a ditch, or maybe a very shallow ditch. Picture two sloping front lawns, and the fence runs along the bottom where the lawns meet. There are sections of foliage, but even though they aren't real dense and the leaves aren't out, there's a lot of leaf litter and tree debris along the fence that could easily prevent you from seeing someone lying prone. There really isn't much of a distance between road and fence, it's a pretty narrow expanse, maybe two or three car-lengths, if that? Sorry, I suck at evaluating distance.

Looking at where she was found, I think it's possible she was hit by a car. Especially if it was dark and people were driving fast. If it was the night she walked away, there probably wasn't as much traffic on the highway as there is during the day, someone could have hit her and not been seen by anyone else and just panicked and drove away. I suppose we'll find out soon, when they determine COD.

Casie Weese's body found in Apalachin, NY four days after her disappearance

New York State Police discovered the body around 12:51 p.m. along the eastbound side of the highway, in a wooded area near a fence line that runs parallel to routes 17 and 434.

Later in the afternoon, police confirmed the body was Weese, a 37-year-old Glen Aubrey woman who was reported missing Sunday morning.

The cause and manner of her death are being investigated.

"Our condolences go out to the Weese family at this time," said New York State Police Captain Erik Dauber.

I just read the news. So very very sad for Casie and her loved ones, but at least she was found relatively quickly.

Based on that and where she was found, I do find it more possible that this was alcohol-fueled bad-decision making on both their parts, and not something more sinister.

That said, I still find it odd that a loving husband would not have gone back to the party and asked for help from his friends to search for his very vulnerable, MS-having, intoxicated wife who wandered off into a very cold night (low of 18 degrees) in the dark. She was in extreme danger and it seems he did nothing until the next morning. Time is of the essence in those situations if there is a hope of finding that person alive.

Regardless of what happened, it is a very tragic situation all around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMEAMG
Back