GUILTY NY - Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, axed to death, Brighton, 19 Feb 1982 *husband arrested in 2019*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

8/31/22

The District Attorney’s office says they have 12 jurors and one alternate set to go. The remaining three alternates will be picked Wednesday.

On February 19, 1982, on Del Rio Drive in Brighton, 29-year-old Cathleen Krausenneck was found murdered, with an axe to the back of her skull in her bedroom. The case is still unsolved over 40 years later.

Edward Laraby — a convicted murderer — was living just five minutes away from the house at the time. He penned a letter, confessing to killing Cathleen before he died in prison.

A memo pad discovered in 1986 said the medical examiner had indicated two potential times of death, between 6:55 a.m. and 8:55 a.m.— contradicting what the prosecution said. They stated the murder happened before 6:30 a.m.

It appears the defense will not be calling any witnesses. (Daughter will NOT be called).

9/6/22

1662539043101.png
Cathleen Krauseneck was killed in 1982 by an ax blow to her head in her Brighton home.

Prosecutors contend that they now have narrowed the likely time of death − the defense is attacking the science and the evidence presented as the foundation of these claims − but they also acknowledge that there is not new forensics evidence pointing to Krauseneck. The case was reopened about seven years ago, with an FBI lab re-examining the crime-scene evidence, and there was nothing found to point to a suspect.

The prosecution's argument partly is this: There is no evidence of a killer other than Krauseneck, and there would likely be forensics proof were the killer someone else. A burglar would likely have left some trace, prosecutors say.

"In a circumstantial case such as this, the absence of any evidence demonstrating the involvement of a third party perpetrator is compelling evidence against (Krauseneck's) claims of innocence," prosecutors wrote in court papers.

[..]

In a 2019 interview with the Democrat and Chronicle, Robert Schlosser [Cathleen's father] said he would not miss the trial.

"I'm going to go, hell or high water," he said. "I want to see him with the cuffs on."

Meanwhile, Sara, the daughter of James and Cathleen Krauseneck, has stood by her father and his claims of innocence. She was originally on the defense witness list, but defense lawyers said Tuesday that she would not be called to testify.

It appears the defense will not be calling any witnesses. (Daughter will NOT be called).

9/6/22

View attachment 364780
Cathleen Krauseneck was killed in 1982 by an ax blow to her head in her Brighton home.

Prosecutors contend that they now have narrowed the likely time of death − the defense is attacking the science and the evidence presented as the foundation of these claims − but they also acknowledge that there is not new forensics evidence pointing to Krauseneck. The case was reopened about seven years ago, with an FBI lab re-examining the crime-scene evidence, and there was nothing found to point to a suspect.

The prosecution's argument partly is this: There is no evidence of a killer other than Krauseneck, and there would likely be forensics proof were the killer someone else. A burglar would likely have left some trace, prosecutors say.

"In a circumstantial case such as this, the absence of any evidence demonstrating the involvement of a third party perpetrator is compelling evidence against (Krauseneck's) claims of innocence," prosecutors wrote in court papers.

[..]

In a 2019 interview with the Democrat and Chronicle, Robert Schlosser [Cathleen's father] said he would not miss the trial.

"I'm going to go, hell or high water," he said. "I want to see him with the cuffs on."

Meanwhile, Sara, the daughter of James and Cathleen Krauseneck, has stood by her father and his claims of innocence. She was originally on the defense witness list, but defense lawyers said Tuesday that she would not be called to testify.

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Defense says that Edward Laraby (alternate suspect) lived 5 minutes from Krauseneck home. Laraby “confessed to certain crimes including killing Krauseneck” before he died in 2014. Defense blames time & ALS medication for documented inconsistencies in Laraby’s story.
@13WHAM
7:59 AM · Sep 6, 2022

@TheJackieNapier

1st witness is Thomas Schirmer (first police officer to arrive to the scene. Schirmer points out two oddities he noticed: 1. Method of entry of the alleged burglar 2. A tea set was placed in a bag “obviously carefully” whereas “usually the property is thrown in a bag”
8:51 AM · Sep 6, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

NOTEWORTHY: Daughter, Sara Krauseneck, is currently sitting in courtroom for testimony. This exempts her from being called as a witness. Sara Krauseneck (who was 3 at the time of her mother’s murder) will NOT be called to testify at her father’s trial.
8:53 AM · Sep 6, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

“He [Krauseneck] came to the door and I opened it and just by what I saw on his face I told the kids to go upstairs… He looked horrified,” - Krauseneck’s neighbor, Eileen Marron-Keating, testified. “I said ‘Is she dead?’ and he said, ‘I think so. She’s limp.”
@13WHAM
11:36 AM · Sep 6, 2022·

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJackieNapier
Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Officer Flood on stand. Testified that Sara Krauseneck said there was “a bad man… sleeping in Mommy and Daddy’s bed w/ an ax in his head.” Flood said it “seemed that the daughter was referring to her mother but failed to recognize her because of the circumstances.”
@13WHAM
1:14 PM · Sep 6, 2022·

[URL='https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJackieNapier']Jackie Napier[/URL]
@TheJackieNapier

Opening statements for James Krauseneck trial are commencing momentarily. Krauseneck- a former Eastman Kodak employee- is accused of murdering his wife, Cathleen, with an ax. He was arrested in 2019 (37 years after her 1982 death.)
@13WHAM
be updating throughout the trial.
7:18 AM · Sep 6, 2022·

9/6/22 -- Jury to hear opening arguments in 1982 Brighton axe murder case Tuesday

9/6/22-- Jury hears opening statements in 1982 Brighton axe murder case

9-6-22 --Brighton axe murder: Opening statements begin​

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

IN COURT: Krauseneck trial day 2. Witness on stand is Officer Robert Flood, who interviewed James Krauseneck (JK) for 2.5 hours immediately after Cathy was found. Described JK as “very cooperative” and his reactions “seemed appropriate” after the death of his wife.
@13WHAM
7:28 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Flood says Hamburg Police Dept. provided a lead about an ax murder in Nov. 1977 Hamburg Police mentioned the 1977 murder involved “what may have been a staged burglary.” At the time of 1982 investigation, the aforementioned suspect’s most recent address was outside Buffalo.
7:55 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Re-direct of Flood: Clarified that the 1977 murder was with a “hatchet”, not an ax. Officer Flood ran a record check on this individual (who was the husband of the 1977 murder victim) and did not find a connection to the Krausenecks.
@13WHAM
7:59 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

On stand: Neighbor/Mother of former Krauseneck family babysitter. She noted that Krasueneck’s garage door was ajar sometime between 6:30-6:40 AM on the day of Cathy’s murder. Testifies she saw nothing out of the ordinary in the neighborhood when she left for work at 7:30AM.
8:26 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

On stand: Former Brighton police officer. Entered the Krauseneck house and saw a “large amount of silver… sitting on the floor upright with a black plastic garbage bag” and a “female’s purse with contents strewn about.”
8:58 AM · Sep 7, 2022·
Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Krauseneck started running towards police officer in “an agitated state.” Officer grabbed JK and pulled him out of the primary bedroom. JK started to climb up on his back in an attempt to renter the room with Cathy in it. Another officer pulled a gun on Krauseneck.
@13WHAM
9:04 AM · Sep 7, 2022·
Jackie Napier
@TheJackieNapier

Gruesome crime scene photos. JK asked if his wife was okay and Officer replied, “No, your wife is dead.” Says he then questioned JK about when he left. JK answered 6:30AM “clearly and calmly,” which Officer says was “a big change” in Krauseneck’s demeanor.
@13WHAM
9:13 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

Horrifying photo of Cathy Krauseneck with ax in her head displayed on several monitors in court. James Krausneck had his hands folded and pressed to his mouth most of the time photo was displayed. Sara has her head bowed and is being quietly comforted by loved ones.
@13WHAM
9:36 AM · Sep 7, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

“Education and status meant everything to my sister. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have gone to college,” says Cathy’s sister. “Jim was more reserved, I don’t remember him having a lot of friends,” she adds.
12:57 PM · Sep 7, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

On Stand: Sister of Cathy Krauseneck, Annette Schlosser. (Lived with James, Cathy, and Sara Krauseneck in Virginia at one point.) She thought James Krauseneck had his PhD; notes he was often called “Dr. Krauseneck.”
1:09 PM · Sep 7, 2022·

@TheJackieNapier

Annette says she “remembers Jim standing at the funeral stoic” and pulling Sara back when Annette tried to touch her at the funeral of her sister. Says she thought James & Cathy had "a great relationship;” does not recall witnessing any physical altercations between them.
1:32 PM · Sep 7, 2022·

[URL='https://mobile.twitter.com/gcraig1']Gary Craig[/URL]
@gcraig1

On another topic, I need my friends at local TV to discuss and decide who will handle pool video for the forthcoming James Krauseneck "Brighton ax murder" trial. You'll see with today's attached order that only stills are allowed at opening, with video at closings, verdict. (1/5)
2:00 PM · Aug 23, 2022

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

Right now
@DandC
is pool source for both, but my expectation is that we will do stills for all phases and TV will do video for closings, verdict. So, instead of reaching out to contacts at each station, I'm hoping this will engender some chat. (2/5)
2:00 PM · Aug 23, 2022·

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

Please feel free to message me here or email at gcraig@gannett.com to discuss if needed. Justice Schiano order follows: (3/5)

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

(4/5)

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

(5/5)

2:00 PM · Aug 23, 2022

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

Court can be boring but far more interesting with an experienced defense counsel like Bill Easton cross examining an experienced witness like Dr. Michael Baden.

7:31 AM · Sep 15, 2022

Defense counsel Bill Easton asking Baden about his statement in report that neighbor of Krauseneck’s heard human moaning sounds around 1 or 2 am then dog barking. Witness later said said trees were source of sound, scratching against window. (1/3)
7:20 AM · Sep 15, 2022·

Baden and prosecution saying this not significant with determination of time of death . Baden not told of this testimony change before grand jury testimony. (2/3)
7:20 AM · Sep 15, 2022·

Baden says this would not have changed his determination. (3/3)
7:20 AM · Sep 15, 2022

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

Cross exam of Dr. Michael Baden starting. Acknowledging that ME who goes to crime scene best suited to determine time of death. ME who did so in 1982 set time as range hours before and after James Krauseneck left for work.
7:11 AM · Sep 15, 2022

Change that - we’re breaking until tomorrow. Cross of Dr. Baden will start tomorrow
12:52 PM · Sep 14, 2022

Gary Craig
@gcraig1

Dr. Baden time of death estimate is before 6:30 a.m., and likely several hours before that. Based on rigor mortis, body temperature, stomach contents. We will get to cross. Direct done and break now.
12:40 PM · Sep 14, 2022·

Dr. Baden, as expected, places Cathleen Krauseneck time of death as likely when her husband was home. Not sure if we’ll get cross today but this will be challenged vigorously. Also expect defense to call expert with conflicting opinion.
12:32 PM · Sep 14, 2022

Dr. Michael Baden estimates he has done more than 20,000 autopsies and supervised many more. His career goes back to mid-60s. He recalls how delivered milk still outside a home would help tell when someone inside a house died.
11:34 AM · Sep 14, 2022·

Dr. Michael Baden now discussing work on Medgar Evers murder. To be clear, he is being asked about this history as preface to his testimony here.

nytimes.com
New Autopsy Is Performed For 3d Trial in Evers Slaying (Published 1991)

11:25 AM · Sep 14, 2022·

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back