NY NY - David Mines, 41, New York City, Dec 22, 1961

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he was last seen in Toronto, we can help connect the family to some great investigators at the Toronto Police Service. Ask the family to contact us at solve@othram.com.

You are the best!
Not sure to what extent you have followed the thread but there is a strong possibility this UID found near Toronto is David Mines Canada's Missing | Case details
Timeline fits (skeletal remains, thought to have been there a decade or two), stats fit, location fits, clothing fits, even the hat matches. Recon matches, too, in a scary way. My heart skipped a beat when I saw it. He had American and Canadian coins on him, would also match his situation (he got lost on the bus ride from nyc to Toronto).
He walked reportedly with a "shuffle", the UID was found with severe osteoathritis in his lumbar spine. All fits.

Just now the remains have to be located and sampled. The family is following the thread here but need help making the connection with authorities and you

@HelpmefindDavidMines please contact David of Othram solve@othram.com

Last edited:
I believe he got off the bus close to Toronto. May have had a psychiatric or amnesiac episode, may have been disoriented and probably froze to death, it was winter when he went missing.
I do not believe in "sightings", those in so many cases turned out to be false.

Come home, David.
@HelpmefindDavidMines do you know his Hebrew name? I will daven l'iluy nishmas and that he will be found and gets a good kosher burial soon.

His luggage according to Syracuse Post arrived in Toronto and according to all incl. our family he did not get off the bus because he wasn't on it. I spoke to an officer at Toronto Police Service and she said she could not find the Wellington County John Doe and either could the Provincial Police, I was told info was with the Royal Mounted Police and they have more files. What is LE? How can I get our codis DNA on Interpol I-familia since they refuse and the NYPD missing persons bureau office refused? That is for international match up unless you know another way....we r cash strapped as a family...

that is so sweet his hebrew name, well we don't know if he is alive or dead but well, we do have ideas on this....david is his hebrew name his mom was known as Gussie....I would have to ask, once did the Meir Baal Ha Ness prayer for lost objects on him....simple faith. His father is Baruch (have to ask if there is an addition of Mordechai) AMEIN!

Any updates or rule-outs on this yet? It's been a while and that John Doe certainly looks promising!

Wish there was an update as well. I still can’t believe I found this one and posted - it feels like such a long shot. Would hate for a compare to be done only to discover it isn’t a match.

5425DMNY - David Mines​

ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT

Name: David Mines
Case Classification: Disabled Missing
Missing Since: December 21, 1961
Location Last Seen: New York, New York County, New York

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: May 6, 1920
Race: White
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Hair Color: Black, Short, Widows Peak, Receeding
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Rabbi David Mines
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Depression

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Plaid overcoat, Grey suit, White shirt, Red tie, Was orthodox Jew so may have worn hat with kippah underneath it and a suit, he would have tzitzis on, bag of his clothing was recovered with his possessions which included his religious study/prayer books
Jewelry: none
Additional Personal Items: Black shoes, US coins for pay phone, possibly a passport, possibly a wallet, perhaps a bag with his Tefillin,

Circumstances of Disappearance​

David Mines was last seen while enroute by bus from New York to Toronto, Canada. His luggage arrived in Toronto but he was not on board. The bus had a scheduled stop in Syracuse.

Small oddities:

- there’s constant reference to a planned stop in Syracuse, where it’s assumed he got off. But:

- in the Brooklyn Daily clipping posted on page one, they mention he called his family on December 22 (Friday) from Buffalo.

Attached is another article mentioning Buffalo.

What are we to make of Rabbi Shapiro reporting seeing him in January 1962 in Brooklyn?

Attachments

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Giles
Back