NY NY - Dorothy Arnold, 25, New York, 1910

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was just thinking that although I've seen the theory mentioned several times that she might have had an abortion which ended in her death, I don't believe I've ever seen the theory mentioned that she might have instead gone somewhere to have a baby in secret and place it for adoption, intending to return home at some point, but instead maybe she perished in childbirth. Maternal mortality in childbirth was about 65 times more common then than it is now. If she had gone to a home for unwed mothers somewhere under an assumed name and then passed away in childbirth, her family could not have been notified. Even if she used her real name, I'm not sure how those types of women's homes handled such circumstances, especially if they thought they might be blamed for medical negligence. On the other hand, considering how her family wanted the investigation closed, perhaps they did find out and preferred not to have it known.

I'm generally not at all fond of how often the "she died during an illegal abortion" theory is used in these older cases, but what is known of her relationship with Mr. Griscom indicates, at least to me, that it was probably a physically intimate one. She was known to have spent a week in a hotel with him. This doesn't mean he was aware of a pregnancy, if a pregnancy existed. She might never have intended to tell anyone but instead just reappear at some point stating she had to get away for a while by herself.

Anyway, just some thoughts that don't seem out of the realm of possibility. I feel we will likely never know her fate due to the age of the case.

I haven’t seen this article posted here yet. Looks like there was some “evidence” that Dorothy was living as Anna Miller nee Curtis. I wonder if there is any record of the birth of Anna Curtis matching the details in this article or if she really did appear just as Dorothy disappeared.

IMG_1219.jpeg

Attachments

• Page_9.jpg
    Page_9.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20
I actually wonder if she was attracted to the same sex and that embarrassed her family

IMO her father being so adament that she was murdered and saying there was no need to look for her indicates he knew exactly what happened to her.
It could be he didn't know, and he just wanted all of the press to go away, but I think he knew.

I'd like to think that means she was being hidden in another country, maybe even with a child, and provided for, and that is also why she was written out of the will.

But I also think her parents' behavior could mean they knew she passed during an abortion they (or her father or boyfriend?) pressured her to get. It's horrific how badly girls and women were treated back then.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonya702
Back