Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #3 *P. Hernandez guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'It's about time': Etan Patz's dad finds justice in verdict

58a3620c1a3e6.image.jpg

This photo speaks volumes..may this family finally find the peace they so rightfully deserve.

NY man guilty of murder in infamous 1979 child disappearance

NEW YORK, Feb 14 (Reuters) - A New York City jury on Tuesday found a former delicatessen worker guilty of murdering Etan Patz, a six-year-old boy whose disappearance in 1979 raised national awareness of the plight of abducted children and their parents.
The conviction of Pedro Hernandez, 56, came during his second trial in state court. It followed a 2015 mistrial that occurred after a single juror refused to go along with 11 other panelists who were convinced of his guilt.
After the verdict was read in court, Patz's father, Stan, shared hugs with prosecutors. Hernandez is scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 28.

The boy vanished as he walked alone to a school bus stop in the city's SoHo neighborhood on May 25, 1979 and for decades was one of New York's most infamous unsolved mysteries.
His picture became one of the first to appear on milk cartons, which in the 1980s became a popular way to seek leads about missing children. His disappearance also helped bring about a national database of such cases.

Hernandez confessed to police in 2012, saying on videotape that he had lured the child to the basement of the deli where he worked near the Patz home and strangled him.
He later recanted, and his attorneys argued the confession was the product of mental illness, including hallucinations, and coercion by the police.

LINK:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...over-6-year-olds-1979-disappearance/21713868/

Wow! So where did he claim he put Etan's remains?

I grew up not far from where this happened and have been interested in the case for almost as far back as I can remember. I believe Jose Ramos is responsible.

I'm shocked that they got a jury conviction with no evidence, no body, no witnesses, and no motive. Just an untaped confession that should have been recorded and was later recanted. I pray they got the right guy.

I'm glad the Patz family has found peace and justice in this verdict. But I'm surprised that out of 18 jurors between two trials, 17 voted to convict. Maybe the evidence was more compelling in the courtroom, or I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but I can't get past the possibility of a false confession from Hernandez and the inconsistencies with his story (he said at one time that he'd killed a black child, according to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/23/pedro-hernandez-etan-patz_n_4493137.html). Plus, you have Jose Ramos, a convicted child molester who had a tie to Etan and once claimed he was pretty sure he had molested him.

Without some kind of forensic or photographic evidence, I will never feel this case is resolved.

I'm shocked that they got a jury conviction with no evidence, no body, no witnesses, and no motive. Just an untaped confession that should have been recorded and was later recanted. I pray they got the right guy.
He confessed more than once. Some of his family members said they suspected him after he was arrested.

When Bad News Was Printed On Milk Cartons

"Tuesday’s guilty verdict in the kidnapping and murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz, whose abduction rattled New York City in 1979, is the latest step toward solving a decades-old mystery.

It’s also a reminder of how dramatically information-distribution channels have evolved in recent decades—specifically the systems used to notify the public about missing children and other emergencies.

Patz was the first missing child to appear on milk cartons nationwide in the United States, in 1984, as part of a campaign run by the National Child Safety Council and hundreds of dairies across the country. The program began in Des Moines, but expanded so that the same photos could be distributed across state lines. The idea was to reach a wider audience “since kidnappers often whisk children from state to state,” as one news syndicate explained matter-of-factly in 1985..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._us_58a72d0be4b0b0e1e0e209fd?section=us_crime

58a72d692900002700f2719f.png

(A 1985 Palm Beach Post story about the milk-carton initiative. ..)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawyer asks to delay sentencing of Etan Patz’s convicted killer

"...Lawyer Harvey Fishbein asked Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Maxwell Wiley to delay the sentencing “for one week in order to provide sufficient time for the defense to prepare relevant post-verdict motions.”

Hernandez faces a life sentence.

Prosecutors filed a letter strongly objecting, saying, “The Patz family has waited almost 40 years for an answer to one of the most heart-wrenching questions a parent can ever be faced with: What happened to their child who disappeared.”.."

http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/lawyer-asks-to-delay-sentencing-of-etan-patzs-convicted-killer/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Etan Patz Jury Knew Members of the First Were Watching, Defense Says

"The sentencing of the man convicted of killing Etan Patz was postponed Tuesday after defense lawyers said they would seek to have the verdict set aside on the basis that jurors had been given inappropriate information about people who attended the trial.

Lawyers for the man, Pedro Hernandez, told Justice Maxwell Wiley of State Supreme Court in Manhattan that they needed more time to assemble evidence for a motion asking that he throw out the guilty verdict against Mr. Hernandez, a former bodega clerk...

At issue now is whether court officers told jurors at the second trial that members of the first jury were in the courtroom regularly, sitting near Stanley Patz, Etan’s father. Justice Wiley took pains to limit what the second jury heard about the first trial, ruling that the lawyers could refer to it only as a “previous proceeding.”

“The concern is that the jurors were provided information they should not have had,” Mr. Hernandez’s lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, said on Tuesday outside court. “That’s the problem.”

After the guilty verdict, one juror, Michael Castellon, 55, a lawyer for a construction company, sought out and embraced a former juror who sat with Mr. Patz, according to reports by Newsday and DNAinfo.com. Asked how he knew who she was, Mr. Castellon told a Newsday reporter that a court officer had informed him that jurors from the first trial were at the retrial. He did not say when the exchange occurred. He then asked that his comment not be published, Newsday reported..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...e-first-were-watching-defense-says/ar-AAnExmE

AAnEzTC.img

(© Louis Lanzano for The New York Times Jurors who found Pedro Hernandez guilty of killing Etan Patz speak to the media on Feb. 14. According to news reports, Michael Castellon, foreground, right, sought out and embraced a member of an earlier...)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt this conviction will stand-anybody can confess. Well for the moment, the case is "solved".

Looks like there might not be any justice for poor Etan. I find it difficult to believe that the second jury's knowledge of the initial jury being present in the courtroom played any part in their decision to convict Hernandez. If that really were the case, they wouldn't have spent a full 9 days in deliberation and wouldn't have questioned the judge about the relevancy of his subsequent confessions. The defense is desperately grasping at straws to set this lunatic free. It's disheartening, sick, and pathetic.

Guilty Verdict Stands in Etan Patz Case

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/nyregion/guilty-verdict-stands-in-etan-patz-case.html

The guilty verdict against a man who admitted killing 6-year-old Etan Patz remained intact on Thursday, after the judge rejected a defense motion to throw it out. The ruling cleared the last legal hurdle before the man, Pedro Hernandez, 56, is scheduled to be sentenced on April 18 in State Supreme Court in Manhattan.

“We finally got some justice for our son,” Etan’s father, Stan Patz, said in a courthouse hall as several of the jurors from the first trial stood behind him.

Mr. Hernandez’s lawyers had argued the verdict should be set aside because court officers had informed the jury at the second trial that several jurors from the first proceeding were in the audience and supported Mr. Patz. In court papers, they argued that information had tainted the deliberations, weighing against the defendant.

Justice Wiley disagreed. In a six-page decision, he said the defense had no evidence the presence of the former jurors had influenced the second jury. That jury had learned about the first trial in the defense’s opening statement and through testimony, he said.

“Given the fact the jury was aware of a prior trial, the most they might have learned from a court officer, or some other source, was that former jurors were present in the audience during the trial, at times sitting with or near the deceased family,” he said. “Without more, this fact alone is insufficient to set aside the verdict.”

Mr. Hernandez’s lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, said the judge should have held a hearing to learn what the jury knew about the former jurors and how it had influenced them. “This is just another layer of the issues that will be presented on appeal,” he said. “We believe Pedro Hernandez never received a fair trial.”

Etan Patz killer Pedro Hernandez sentenced to 25 years to life in prison for murdering 6-year-old boy

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/etan-patz-murderer-sentenced-25-years-life-prison-article-1.3070128

The former SoHo bodega clerk convicted in the infamous kidnapping and murder of Etan Patz was sentenced Tuesday to 25 years to life behind bars.

Pedro Hernandez learned his fate two months after a jury declared him guilty of the crime that horrified the city and reverberated around the country 38 years ago.

Justice Maxwell Wiley hit Hernandez, 56, with the maximum sentence after Etan’s father delivered a heart-wrenching victim impact statement.

“After all these years, we finally know what dark secret you have locked in your heart,” Stan Patz said in Manhattan Supreme Court as Hernandez refused to return his gaze.

“You took our precious child and threw him in the garbage. I will never forgive you. The god you pray to will never forgive you. You are the monster in your nightmares.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back