GUILTY NY - Evanna Tranberg-Bennett, 12, died, parents failed to get her medical care, 6 Dec 2019 Probation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect they are not living in the same house anymore. Because it really wouldn't make any sense to return the grandchildren and not the children if the paretns pose a risk.
If I understand their latest posts then yes, it looks like DSS/CPS is telling them they can't all live in the same house right now. I don't know if the parents of either set of kids have actually moved out. Heidi and Steve also run a business from their house called House of Macrobiotics. The FB page for the business shows the kids planting crops on the house's land and Heidi running the kitchen. They haven't posted on that page since mid-March.

Ah! Thank you for that update Lusitana! There was one child, a nephew, removed who had encephalopathy, and may have required surgery. Has he been returned do you know?
He was also returned. At first, I thought that child was kept in foster care or was returned to another family member because he was the only child that was not present at Heidi and Steven's court hearing, but it appears that all of V's children were in fact returned. That poor baby has a massive hydrocephalus.
Medical records show that he "shakes" at times, on and off, and sleeps with his eyes partially open.

Bennett and Tranberg-Bennett are accused of failing to seek and obtain timely medical care for the girl, who had been showing symptoms of pneumonia and end-stage kidney disease, including swollen legs and swollen abdomen, according to court papers.

The symptoms grew worse over at least one week and the girl died last Dec. 6.
“There can be no casualness or cavalierness about it,” Sussman said. “There are serious consequences. And of course as you know some of the children were returned and other children are still being held. We are trying to take steps to deal with that but obviously in light of the criminal charge, it’s difficult.”
Couple pleads not guilty in girl’s death

Columbia County DA said the investigation is ongoing. Does anyone know the date of their next hearing? TIA.

Why doesn't the TB family just post the evidence they say they have of wrongdoing by the police, DSS, the DA, etc? It would stop the investigation in its tracks. So far we only have reports that they HAVE evidence, but no evidence posted. The only things we see posted are old pictures in the house.

From what they post on their official page, the TB family looks like they really care about their family. They live a healthy lifestyle and focus on their family. As long as it meets a reasonable standard of care, they have the right to do that. We are not judging them for living what may be a different lifestyle than modern society is used to.

We can acknowledge that the DA has brought initial charges but the TB parents are still innocent until proven guilty before a jury of their peers. Charges are just accusations.

But as a defense attorney, I would like to see the evidence of police misconduct. Post the videos of the police ransacking the house. Post the actual medical records. Post the Xrays. Post the autopsy report. Post the court records. Let us actually see the evidence.

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

There are still no verified family members or insiders in this discussion, even though Websleuths owner, Tricia Griffith had previously extended an invitation for certain members to become verified.

FWIW, the previous thread was pulled by Tricia for no other reason than excessive TOS violations, on the understanding that the thread would reopen if / when there was new information.

This was Tricia's post when she pulled the earlier thread in January 2020:

Hey Everyone,

There are so many TOS violations on this thread due to posters posting unverified info, lots of personalizations going on too.

I'm closing this thread then I will remove it in just a bit. If new (meaning updated with new information) mainstream media information comes out then we can revisit starting another thread.

Thank you,
Tricia

Obviously the new MSM information that is available is that Evanna's
parents have been charged in this tragic case. That is why this thread has been opened for discussion.

As per Websleuths TOS, posts containing information stated as fact without either MSM or LE to support, or without the member being Verified, have been removed. Members who become verified do not have to provide links to what they state as fact. In all other aspects, they are held to the same TOS (aka The Rules) as all of our regular members.

The offer for family members or insiders to apply for verification still stands and the instructions on how to do so can be found here.

Last edited:
I appreciate Websleuths insisting on VI status for family posters. Additionally in this case, the poster was trying to interfere with and intimidate members discussion.
I am still unclear on how to participate but not antagonize the family poster.

Per the article listed above, both the parents are accused of failure to seek medical care.
Per the MANY posts on FB , which we can now discuss, Evanna never saw a doctor during her illness. Even when her little legs and feet swelled up, and her abdomen distended and swelled greatly. Along with having a pretty severe case of a respiratory virus, this baby girl was very very sick! Eventually, they did call 911. And tragically she didn't make it.
IMO, they ( family) have been on the offense since she passed, blaming any and all who they could, and not ever accepting ANY part in her sad life/death. It is all so sad and tragic. And, maybe....just maybe..if the parents would have just accepted and admitted their failure(s) in not providing adequate and safe medical care, they might not have been charged! But instead, they lash out and cry "conspiracy"! It's nonsense!

Per the article listed above, both the parents are accused of failure to seek medical care.
Per the MANY posts on FB , which we can now discuss, Evanna never saw a doctor during her illness. Even when her little legs and feet swelled up, and her abdomen distended and swelled greatly. Along with having a pretty severe case of a respiratory virus, this baby girl was very very sick! Eventually, they did call 911. And tragically she didn't make it.
IMO, they ( family) have been on the offense since she passed, blaming any and all who they could, and not ever accepting ANY part in her sad life/death. It is all so sad and tragic. And, maybe....just maybe..if the parents would have just accepted and admitted their failure(s) in not providing adequate and safe medical care, they might not have been charged! But instead, they lash out and cry "conspiracy"! It's nonsense!

The latest family post also completely misses the point about what EMTs reported. EMTs reported that Evanna LOOKED 8 months pregnant, due to her swollen abdomen due to kidney failure. They didn't say that Evanna WAS 8 months pregnant. Then the post goes on at length to dispute that Evanna was pregnant. No one said she WAS pregnant, just that she LOOKED pregnant due to the swollen abdomen. "Looking pregnant" is a good descriptor because obviously there is only swelling in the abdomen compared to just a large person who may have a large belly but also large chest, limbs, face, etc. It was really bizarre, the strawmen are getting worse.

It also seems to me, that whenever anyone ( Court, CPS, FB posters ) brings up a fact, the family tries to wiggle out of said fact with fantastical stories. The FB articles never list all replies, only those favorable to the family. ( Understandable) But....the family does see them, and they reply in another article or long winded statement. Such as the pregnant story. No one ever said she was pregnant! And, my personal favorite.....way back in Jan or Feb....the choking story.
per EMS she was in Resp distress. The family said she was fine! We gave her candy! So, she was choking on that! What???? Who gives a child candy, when they are in obvious distress breathing? The stories and excuses and conspiracies keep coming... Just so sad

It also seems to me, that whenever anyone ( Court, CPS, FB posters ) brings up a fact, the family tries to wiggle out of said fact with fantastical stories. The FB articles never list all replies, only those favorable to the family. ( Understandable) But....the family does see them, and they reply in another article or long winded statement. Such as the pregnant story. No one ever said she was pregnant! And, my personal favorite.....way back in Jan or Feb....the choking story.
per EMS she was in Resp distress. The family said she was fine! We gave her candy! So, she was choking on that! What???? Who gives a child candy, when they are in obvious distress breathing? The stories and excuses and conspiracies keep coming... Just so sad

What is kind of nuts about this is without their rambling, I personally think this is a hard case for the state to make. If Evanna really was only sick for a week, and this became suddenly acute, there is a real question if a "reasonable parent" would KNOW the child had to be taken to a hospital. We can say what a good parent would do - but that's not the standard under the law for manslaughter. Your conduct has to be reckless. Awful things happen to children all the time that are truly accidents - thinking of sudden baby death cases that remain unexplained.

But the constant posts with excuse after excuse, blaming everyone else, just makes it seem like they have something to hide. It is NOT helpful at all. Everything they post will be admissible. V will be called as a witness and these statements challenged. Any defense attorney will tell you to say NOTHING and let the state attempt to prove their case. You can bring up your defenses later.

But everything they post has nothing to do with the ultimate legal question of whether failing to get medical attention for Evanna was inexcusable reckless neglect or if it was a true tragic accident.

What is kind of nuts about this is without their rambling, I personally think this is a hard case for the state to make. If Evanna really was only sick for a week, and this became suddenly acute, there is a real question if a "reasonable parent" would KNOW the child had to be taken to a hospital. We can say what a good parent would do - but that's not the standard under the law for manslaughter. Your conduct has to be reckless. Awful things happen to children all the time that are truly accidents - thinking of sudden baby death cases that remain unexplained.

But the constant posts with excuse after excuse, blaming everyone else, just makes it seem like they have something to hide. It is NOT helpful at all. Everything they post will be admissible. V will be called as a witness and these statements challenged. Any defense attorney will tell you to say NOTHING and let the state attempt to prove their case. You can bring up your defenses later.

But everything they post has nothing to do with the ultimate legal question of whether failing to get medical attention for Evanna was inexcusable reckless neglect or if it was a true tragic accident.

I believe once upon a time, that the family was advised by attorney's to stop with the postings . The family obviously did not heed that expert advice, and here we are.

To be honest, their food does look great. The children do look happy. But I have an issue with not providing adequate medical care to children in a timely manner. The family seems to be working really hard on either ignoring the signs that some of the children might have some health issues, going to the extent of claiming that the children NEVER displayed any symptons in their care and that everything suddendly started while in foster care. Come on. I'm no nutricionist, but if the children's lab results show that they would not only benefit but also need a different type of diet, why not explore that? Nobody is telling them to pump the children with gross, unhealthy foods.
And I'm not even going to get into a baby with hydrocephalus, fainting children, and poor Evanna's fragile health.
And, for the record no, I'm not a "insider" on the case and no, I'm not "slandering" anyone. As far as I'm concerned, everyone is welcome here to discuss any case, what's not allowed is hostility. I haven't seen any disrespectful post. The bottom line is, a child is dead and someone is responsible for it. She suffered.

I was here last December, when this case was first brought to WS, ( and quickly removed ) The case has haunted me, and I must admit to following the family's story on their FB page. I was instantly appalled at the food and anti-school and anti-vaccine rants, as if that had anything to do with this poor child's death. What really got my goat was when there was instant and direct accusations of the paramedics and police, who valiantly tried to save her. She was so sick, and so negligently ignored. Justice for this precious soul!

bbm
Those of us who are parents, g-parents, aunts/uncles, baby-sitters, siblings, teachers, next-door-neighbors, medical professionals, or anyone who sees children with any type of regularity, can tell when a child is sick. Their eyes are a big give-away, their breathing/cough, sleep patterns, their gait, "droopiness," appetite, willingness to play or help around the house, their moods, etc., etc. Don't tell me they had no idea. I guess someone went outside and picked some flower or herb, knowing it would cure the child, right??? All this has me all roared-up again. Grrrr.

I cannot imagine how chaotic the scene in their home would have been. I have read multiple articles, and obviously the FB posts. EMS reports and official medical records have not been produced (Yet). But....from what I can concur, the child was being treated on the gurney, and possibly a panicked and frantic family was hollering and screaming about what meds and treatments were not allowed. From what I have read, IMO, this family had absolutely no trust in government or medicine. It has been stated many times. Now, imagine EMS...attempting an airway path, administering meds, trying to obtain IV access on a sick and dying child, while being questioned and accused of giving her Vitamin D? Or a vaccine? Or whatever could have been said by them in their fear and angst over the situation. Those guys valiantly tried to save her, and they were IMMEDIATELY portrayed by the family as the cause for her death. Social services is called in, obviously...amid reports of Evanna's illness and death, along with multiple children in the home with related or non-related parentage, another small child was seen there with hydrocephalus ....OF COURSE there are questions!!

Bottom line, to me...is the family's ( Mom and Dad) strict and powerful control over their anti government fears/views, led to the neglect/death of Evannna

The way I see it, the parents did a great disservice to their children who, unfortunately appear to not be as healthy as they think they are. This case does make me sad, not only because a 12-year-old girl is no longer alive, but also because this is not a good life to live. The older children seem brainwashed to some extent. The older sister is doing all the talking, the parents hide behind her and selfishly let her burn herself, risking losing her children again. The other sisters seem to have no other choice but to agree and go along with the program. It really is a shame because they seem like a creative family, but only up until mommy and daddy let them because going in a different direction from what they teached them is a big no-no. That's why I do feel for the person doing all the talking, because that person just doesn't know any better and seem to be way too deep in all of those rigid beliefs, to even grasp the idea that her own children are being victimized in a way too.

JMO

IMO it's concerning that the parents' latest attempt at offering "evidence" of foster care/DSS abuse is to post a video of the children where the parents are prompting them to talk about getting glasses. The mother asks the child when their vision "went weird," as if needing glasses is somehow abuse.

It makes me wonder if the kids have ever had eye exams. IMO it's never a good idea to involve children in adult affairs. All MOO.

There's a hearing today but I haven't seen any news so far. I hope it doesn't get postponed due to the latest uptick in COVID-19 cases.

The latest family post also completely misses the point about what EMTs reported. EMTs reported that Evanna LOOKED 8 months pregnant, due to her swollen abdomen due to kidney failure. They didn't say that Evanna WAS 8 months pregnant. Then the post goes on at length to dispute that Evanna was pregnant. No one said she WAS pregnant, just that she LOOKED pregnant due to the swollen abdomen. "Looking pregnant" is a good descriptor because obviously there is only swelling in the abdomen compared to just a large person who may have a large belly but also large chest, limbs, face, etc. It was really bizarre, the strawmen are getting worse.
Excellent points, Alethea. And "looked pregnant" was a good description -- it paints a picture of where the unusual swelling was and was not.
How many of us have thought, or worse, said, "Oh, are you pregnant?" and gotten the horribly embarrassing answer, "I'm not pregnant," and then wanted to just vanish into thin air?? I did it once in an elevator at work with someone I did not know well at all other than a familiar face...and I've never done it since. Ohmigosh. :rolleyes:..:rolleyes:...:oops:..:oops:

We are dealing with a fair amount of "unusual-ness" here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member