NY NY - Eve Wilkowitz, 20, Bay Shore, 22 March 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In a profile, this perp would likely be in his 20’s. Someone with the physical ability to kidnap/bound/strangle (& hold captive) Eve, who wasn’t a big girl, was described by her bf as being “strong”, suggesting she could’ve put up a fight. If so, he would be in his 60’s today, like Eve should be. This monster could very well be alive, yes. MOO

I have transferred at Babylon several times and I couldn’t agree with you more. Unless she was lured off of the platform with a hidden weapon or otherwise, I think she was taken at the Bayshore stop. Incredibly sad.
I'm guessing somebody waiting in a car near the Bay Shore station. Babylon is pretty busy even at that time, That locale (Bay Shore) is VERY lonely around 1:45/1:50 am. Maybe there was a taxi but I can't see anything else.

Eves BF had just begun a successful writing career in NYC and wrote poetry and blogged about Eve and his love for her after her murder. He mentions (can’t post here/not MSM) that she would take the cab the final dark blocks of her trip home....

From looking at the pictures of the old news articles and using Google maps and Google earth i found the address of the dump location. It is at the SW corner of Garfield and Center Ave in Bay Shore just north of the train station. Im guessing that if she was held for 3 days she may have been held nearby. I agree with the earlier comments that the area has actually gotten better since the early 1980s but it is still downtrodden. I hope DNA solves this case.

Eve-Wilkowitz.jpg

AUDIO.
Feb 4 2020
Tuesday Crime Stories: Gorgeous 20-year-old snatched at bus stop on way home from work, bound, tortured, raped & murdered
''Gorgeous New York woman Eve Wilkowitz was just 20 years old when someone brutally murdered her and left her on a front lawn in 1980. Eve’s sister has vowed to never give up until the killer is caught.

Now, almost 40 years later, new DNA methods may hold the clues police need for an arrest. But first, the state of New York has to allow it.

Joining Nancy Grace to discuss:
  • Tony Destefano: Newsday Journalist
  • Phil Vetrano: Father of slain jogger, Karina Vetrano
  • Shera LaPoint: Genetic Genealogist, The Gene Hunter
  • John Cardillo: Host of “America Talks” on Newsmax TV, Former NYPD
  • Dr. Kris Sperry: Retired Chief Medical Examiner for the State of Georgia''

Joel Rifkin should be interviewed !!!! IIRC he was interviewed for a doc or a doc series on serial killers ? and reaching back in my old bean I think he alluded to more women he had killed and those bodies had not been found....IIRC

Eve Wilkowitz cold case SOLVED.
From Newsday 3/29/2022

Suffolk investigators solve 42-year-old cold case
Thank you for the surprising update, so happy for Eve's sister to finally have an answer!

She waited 42 years to learn who killed her sister. The answer didn’t ease her pain. (msn.com)
''His name was Herbert Rice. He died of cancer in 1991, with two sons who had no idea what he’d done, Bottari said. In the sweeping and exhaustive investigation of the murder, in which police canvassed dozens of streets and interviewed hundreds of people, Rice had never attracted suspicion. He had a short record of arrests for nonviolent offenses, which did not require him to provide a DNA sample that would have been put in criminal databases. A query for relatives in the criminal database, known as a familial DNA search, failed as well.

It was the new technology, known as genetic genealogy, that finally gave police the answer.

“Without DNA, this wouldn’t have ever been solved,” Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said.

On Wednesday, Suffolk County authorities will hold a news conference naming Rice as the killer. Wilkowitz will travel from Rhode Island to thank the detectives and speak for Eve. But knowing who killed her sister won’t repair four decades of terror, anxiety and loss.

“For 42 years, this was all I wanted — I just wanted it to be over,” Wilkowitz said this week. “My goal was to be a mom, and beyond that I didn’t allow myself to dream any other dream because I was afraid someone would come along and murder me. So I can’t process that it’s solved now, and that I’m still here.”

''At the time of the murder, the son’s mother said, she had kicked Rice out of their house, according to detectives. Rice had moved in with his mother, who lived about four houses from the yard where Eve Wilkowitz’s body was discovered on March 25, 1980, detectives said. In the case file, detectives saw that Rice’s mother had been questioned by police who canvassed the neighborhood. She told them she hadn’t noticed anything, Bottari said.

Rice’s son had done nothing wrong, but he told detectives he still wished he could apologize to Wilkowitz’s family, police said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back