GUILTY NY - Garnett Spears, 5, dies of salt poisoning, Chestnut Ridge, 23 Jan 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Exactly! He was her ticket to attention, attention, attention, pats on the back, "Thinking of You" cards, etc., etc., etc.

And due to this, seems like there's no way for a M1 charge -- obviously they're not going with that charge -- I don't think she planned to kill him when he died, as many here have said.

And why something as cruel as excess salt intake???

BBM. Ooooo! (raises hand)-- I have a few thoughts on this.

- Because it's so easy? Just dissolve salt in water, inject in g-tube-- no messy tube clogs, etc?

- The source "drug"/ poison is relatively untraceable, and so cheap it's essentially free?

- Readily accessible, anywhere they went?

- Perhaps because the perp thought that since it was a "natural" substance, and a regular component of body fluids, that it would not arouse suspicion? And not necessarily kill him? (Just incapacitate him as desired by the perp.)

- Perhaps because it has a "neurological" effect, the victim wouldn't be able to "tell" on the perp? Lose track of time, etc, while incapacitated.

- Because it's easily explained to pretty much anyone as a routine "flush" of the tube, to keep it open and unclogged?

- Because he gets "better", then the perp can make him get "worse" as desired?

BBM. Ooooo! (raises hand)-- I have a few thoughts on this.

- Because it's so easy? Just dissolve salt in water, inject in g-tube-- no messy tube clogs, etc?

- The source "drug"/ poison is relatively untraceable, and so cheap it's essentially free?

- Readily accessible, anywhere they went?

- Perhaps because the perp thought that since it was a "natural" substance, and a regular component of body fluids, that it would not arouse suspicion? And not necessarily kill him? (Just incapacitate him as desired by the perp.)

- Perhaps because it has a "neurological" effect, the victim wouldn't be able to "tell" on the perp? Lose track of time, etc, while incapacitated.

- Because it's easily explained to pretty much anyone as a routine "flush" of the tube, to keep it open and unclogged?

- Because he gets "better", then the perp can make him get "worse" as desired?

Excellent analysis!

As an aside: I've been sharing this and the Kate Parker case with my pediatric critical care colleagues. We're all learning.

This is not new-- from back in Feb 2014. But there are comments from an Assistant Administrator (Matt Uppenbrink) of the Fellowship Community where Lacey and Garnett lived, and some insight into how they were perceived there.

http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/multimedia/interview-on-sudden-death-of-5-year-old-boy-1.7139447

And another video-- same guy, Matt Uppenbrink, Assistant Administrator of the Fellowship Community, who must be the acting spokesman, and one or 2 others speak about Lacey and Garnett (later in video):

http://archive.lohud.com/article/20...-sustained-grief-after-boy-s-mysterious-death

Also, curious that there is no public obituary or death notice, or announcement of Garnett's funeral or memorial service (if he had one??). None that I can find, anyway.

This is not new-- from back in Feb 2014. But there are comments from an Assistant Administrator (Matt Uppenbrink) of the Fellowship Community where Lacey and Garnett lived, and some insight into how they were perceived there.

http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/multimedia/interview-on-sudden-death-of-5-year-old-boy-1.7139447

And another video-- same guy, Matt Uppenbrink, Assistant Administrator of the Fellowship Community, who must be the acting spokesman, and one or 2 others speak about Lacey and Garnett (later in video):

http://archive.lohud.com/article/20...-sustained-grief-after-boy-s-mysterious-death

Also, curious that there is no public obituary or death notice, or announcement of Garnett's funeral or memorial service (if he had one??). None that I can find, anyway.
You have to pay to get access to the bulk of the article.

Can't stay and watch it, but Jane Velez Mitchell is about to have something about this case on her show- Heads Up, 4:30PST.

She no-showed at her hearing today.

Have you been able to see anything & are you able to paraphrase? I'm a no-TV gal, purely a Netflix streamer, lol... WASSUP?????

Turns out it wasn't that much. JVM's "breaking news" was that it was a big hearing today and Lacey didn't show. Her lawyer then gave a press conference stating not to prejudge his client.
Dr. Drew and his panel basically discussed Munchausen's by Proxy and whether or not she was evil and should the hospital be to blame? Neither were long segments.
Oh, just remembered there was an old friend from down South who said that despite Lacey getting the feeding tube because he wouldn't eat, he always ate fried chicken and mashed potatoes by mouth in front of her with no problems!

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — A lawyer asked the public Wednesday not to rush to judgment in the case of a young mother accused of killing her 5-year-old son by poisoning him with salt, but he offered no details in her defense.
Lacey Spears "looks forward to her day in court and the opportunity to challenge the allegations," attorney Stephen Riebling said after a brief court session.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...lt-poisoning-_n_5593484.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

I may have totally missed this, but was diabetes insipidus ruled out? I have a family member with that.... Also, is there a link to, or does anyone know of what all tests doctors ran? Or what conditins were ruled out.? I just heard about this case today, so I'm far behind.

I may have totally missed this, but was diabetes insipidus ruled out? I have a family member with that.... Also, is there a link to, or does anyone know of what all tests doctors ran? Or what conditins were ruled out.? I just heard about this case today, so I'm far behind.

He did not have DI. He had NO conditions- he was poisoned by his mother. Repeatedly and in several different states. Read the thread and you will see. Tragic.

The depraved murder charge alleges extreme recklessness rather than intentional killing. It carries the same maximum sentence, 25 years to life in prison.

Spears' lawyers have not yet filed the paperwork that would be required if they plan to offer a psychiatric defense. They would not comment Wednesday on whether that was being contemplated.

Acting state Supreme Court Judge Robert Neary gave the defense until September to file motions. He set Oct. 13 for the next court date.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/lacey-spears-salt-poisoning-_n_5593484.html

BTW-- I think the charges chosen are encouraging for a conviction. Perhaps gitana1 can weigh in. I like that the prosecution will not have to prove premeditation or intent to murder.

BBM-- Oct 13 next court date.

Also, this article mentions that a sister, Rebecca, was in court this week, but had no comments to media.

I think the key is that they found a bag of tube feeds (that LS was trying to get someone to dispose of) with "extremely high salt levels" in it. His sodium wasn't elevated because of issues with lack of (or not responding to) ADH. It was exogenous salt..

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/investigations/2014/05/08/garnett-spears-last-days/8856377/

Though, I guess he could have had DI too.. But, Occam's razor and all that....

:thinking:
SC

Wow, what a tragic case, poor little boy, to think of what he must have gone through! So sad.

It seems every time someone started looking into mum,she moved on! Crazy.

If Lacey does have Mbp, can she still stand trail? Is it like deminished responsibility?

So sad x

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iris June