Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=&amp]WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT APRIL THE GIRAFFE:
SHE CAN TAKE 4 STEPS TO GET FROM ONE SIDE OF HER PEN TO THE OTHER.
SHE LICKS WOOD.
SHE LIKES TO FLIP FOOD ONTO HER BACK.
SHE SCRATCHES HER ITCHES ON THE FAR WALL.
SHE POKES HER SHOULDER WITH HER NOSE…USUALLY TWICE.
SHE SQUATS TO PEE AND POOP.
SHE LIFTS ONE LEG OFF THE GROUND WHEN HER NOSE TOUCHES THE FLOOR.
GETTING INTO A LIE DOWN POSITION LOOKS TOUGH ON THE KNEES.
SHE EATS ALL DAY LONG.
SHE TALKS GIRAFFE TRASH AS SHE PASSES HER MATE.
AND MY FINAL OBSERVATION….
SHE'S PREGNANT.
YOU'RE WELCOME.

[/FONT]Someone emailed this to me and at the time, I thought "Yes! Yes! I've noticed all these things too!" I failed to see the humor in it.

Now, 5 DAYS later, I'm bleary-eyed and approaching delirium and...giraffe trash? :hilarious:

Many thanks to the author, this may be all over the internet and I wouldn't know...I'm not sure what's going on in the world aside from the giraffe cam. lol
But, LOL, what do giraffes do for entertainment? I look at April and Ollie and think how lonely and bored they look. Monkeys usually have toys in their exhibits/pens. Why don't other animals get to have toys?

But, LOL, what do giraffes do for entertainment? I look at April and Ollie and think how lonely and bored they look. Monkeys usually have toys in their exhibits/pens. Why don't other animals get to have toys?

I've thought a lot about that also. The Animal Adventure Park was posting (yesterday?) about the winter storm that blew in and how April and Oliver wouldn't be able to go outside, but would be getting extra "enrichment". I was hoping that meant some kind of toys, or something? I guess we don't know what's going on off camera, maybe there are people in there with them most of the time, so more human interaction? It seems incredibly boring for them, just pacing around...and around...

I wonder what their outdoor enclosure looks like? I hope they have a nice large space to roam around in when the weather is nice, during their open season.

I've tried not to think about it too much because it makes me sad.

Oh dear, is something going on with the feed? They turned the lights out a while ago, then the video went out and when it came back up, the lights were on. Someone on YT said to advance the video to near the end (red bar on the bottom) and the light are off now, but I'm not sure this is live? :scared:

ETA: If you click on the link directly from the AAP FB page, the lights are off. I think this is live.

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/

My little girl said, "I can't believe we are watching this. It looks like it's on pause. . . Oh! Her ear moved!!!!"

Ha! We are excited about ear twitches....we're hooked...

Our little (enormous) mama is down for some rest, I hope she can get some. I remember towards the end when I was pregnant with my daughter, she wouldn't move much when I was in motion. The movement lulled her to sleep, I guess? When I was down trying to sleep...whoa lordy! She was up and at 'em, kicking and squirming. Is it the same with giraffes? Those 4 hooves doing cartwheels in there! Whew!

I realize I'm really starting to overthink everything at this point. LOL

My little girl said, "I can't believe we are watching this. It looks like it's on pause. . . Oh! Her ear moved!!!!"

Ha! We are excited about ear twitches....we're hooked...

Ear twitches, food tossing, hamming it up for the camera, canoodling with Oliver...it's all exciting!

That's cute about your daughter! I care for my 90+ year old gma 7 days a week, and sometimes I struggle to find ways to engage her. This has reeled her in, we've had so much fun watching April. This giraffe is doing great things, even before the calf is here! :loveyou:

Oh, good. I was afraid I'd caused it. When the lights went out, I started singing the Brahms Lullaby.

April is standing now. I thought she would fall asleep standing against the wall. I can sympathize with her being so uncomfortable. I'm having severe back pain and can't get comfortable at night, even when I take my pain medications. So, sometimes I come in and check on April.

I think I'll see if I can get a little sleep now. Maybe I'll hum the Brahms Lullaby to myself.

:singing::offtobed:

I've thought a lot about that also. The Animal Adventure Park was posting (yesterday?) about the winter storm that blew in and how April and Oliver wouldn't be able to go outside, but would be getting extra "enrichment". I was hoping that meant some kind of toys, or something? I guess we don't know what's going on off camera, maybe there are people in there with them most of the time, so more human interaction? It seems incredibly boring for them, just pacing around...and around...

I wonder what their outdoor enclosure looks like? I hope they have a nice large space to roam around in when the weather is nice, during their open season.

I've tried not to think about it too much because it makes me sad.

I have had similar feelings. I thought how mean to just stand there for 24 hour day doing nothing.

I felt a bit of relief when I found out it was cold out. The reality is, however, in the wild they don't build cages!

Then I saw this, so it looks like they pretty much stand still in the wild

[video=youtube;qlWv6RhsVmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWv6RhsVmc[/video]

Oh Indy. I'm so sorry, back pain is miserable. I hope you're able to get some rest! :getwell:

I have had similar feelings. I thought how mean to just stand there for 24 hour day doing nothing.

I felt a bit of relief when I found out it was cold out. The reality is, however, in the wild they don't build cages!

Then I saw this, so it looks like they pretty much stand still in the wild

[video=youtube;qlWv6RhsVmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWv6RhsVmc[/video]

That video is amazing. I watched several on YT last week, including one in the wild where the birth didn't go well...I'm not sure if the mama even survived. There are pluses/minuses to the wild vs. captivity question. Giraffe calves are able to stand up and GO within an hour or so after birth to escape from predators. I know that's just how nature works, but I'm glad our baby won't have to deal with that. Little Dobby might not have survived without the human care and intervention he received. To us humans, it looks boring to stand still and pace around, but is it to them? We need a Verified Giraffe Professional to answer that one! I do feel that April and Oliver are loved and well cared for.

Dobby and his mama made a public appearance today!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...c-display-sunday-following-plasma-transfusion

Baby giraffe Dobby made his public debut at the Denver Zoo Sunday afternoon, as dozens of people lined up to see the 5-day-old newborn.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/dobby-the-baby-giraffe-makes-public-debut-at-denver-zoo

instagram-nicholas_rupp93-1463998548005591776_1459838199_1488751986945_56331754_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

I think I figured April out. This is a long work up to the biggest and most viewed April Fools Day joke. :scared:

Tonight's update from Animal Adventure Park's FB page:

Animal Adventure Park
3/5 Evening Update

What many are calling an omen of the impending birth; the face and neck of a young giraffe appeared in the bedding this afternoon. Pretty neat if you ask us!

April was reportedly on edge this afternoon during veterinary examination. This evening, keeper report suggests a bit more calm now.
There is a significant amount of belly movement and tail raising. Appetite is notably strong also.

All around, we are all happy with her progress and continued condition. Of course, we are also ready for the next phase in this journey - but truly enjoying the moment.

Thank you for your continued support!

So...I think they're saying she's going to give birth! Someday. lol

He is so cute! I as so relieved to see this I was afraid something was going to happen soo cute

Wonder if Lady would get along with a baby giraffe!! I want one !!

Get in line, CARIIS! Indy Anna and I want one too! LOL

That video is amazing. I watched several on YT last week, including one in the wild where the birth didn't go well...I'm not sure if the mama even survived. There are pluses/minuses to the wild vs. captivity question. Giraffe calves are able to stand up and GO within an hour or so after birth to escape from predators. I know that's just how nature works, but I'm glad our baby won't have to deal with that. Little Dobby might not have survived without the human care and intervention he received. To us humans, it looks boring to stand still and pace around, but is it to them? We need a Verified Giraffe Professional to answer that one! I do feel that April and Oliver are loved and well cared for.

TY you brought up valid points I feel better now thanx.

Trust me a week ago did I ever think i would be checking out giraffes giving birth - i would have told you-you need a brief hospital stay!

I also have to say - ugh god I feel for you ladies! Looks like an awful experience!! But I kept telling myself its mother nature all is well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor