NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
4/2 Morning Update

This morning, keepers report increased discharge, continued lack of interest in food, full udders. April also continues to be a bit out of character. We continue to watch and wait.

Keepers feel they will be able to get the giraffes yard time today, as yard conditions have returned to safe and temperatures promise to climb from the 30s to 50s today. Perhaps that will "shake" things up!...

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/

They have said this for weeks, and I keep wondering if this is a pig instead of a giraffe!!

She is a pig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get full just watching her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well if this is the case then we've all been had. If april got pregnant the first time she was bred, she wouldn't have come in heat again and gotten bred the second and third time. Evidently she didn't get pregnant the second time either or she wouldn't have come in heat again and gotten bred the third time. They had to know when she became pregnant and had a good estimation of her due date imo

ty!! Ty!!

I'll bet a pizza she has it on Tues since it's supposed to rain. :D I know mares often foal on rainy days and nights.

https://weather.weatherbug.com/weather-forecast/10-day-weather/binghamton-ny-13904

images

Coldpizza with this picture is there something you would like to share!! Do you LOVE pizza !!!

I do too!!

My pepperoni never comes out that neat!!! Nowhere close!

Soon April will be on Maury Povich.....[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think her legs are really sore-- she is shifting a lot

Oh good sleep baby if you were nearby I would sneak you a lunesta ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Your just a fatso Miss April! I feel so much better when she is lying down!!

It has been amazing they have a lot of doggie stuff. The way the ears move, seems like the nose is a source of info, licking themselves

4/2 Evening Update - a long one

Keepers continue to report the same physical and behavioral observations. The giraffes did enjoy some outside time today, though April chose to enjoy the sunshine and air from her doorway.
Tonight we share some answers and feedback from the vet on questions he receives in public forums.
"Faking out Dr. Tim"
So the timeline for my 24-48 hour prediction is rapidly coming to an end... not surprising is the fact that we still have no calf and we still don't have a giraffe in Labor! Pretty much all of her clinical signs from a couple days ago are still true. She just isn't quite ready to give the world what it wants.
To answer a few question I have seen on the web in various places: no, she isn't late; no, she isn't overdue; no, I'm not concerned she is "taking so long", nor should you be. Yes she remains happy and comfortable (considering the circumstances). Yes, she will have this calf when she is good and ready. No, public outcry won't change that. No, I cannot induce her, nor should we want to... (those are human constructs which don't apply to large wild animals and only endanger the life of April and her calf )Yes, it will be awesome when the calf arrives. No, watching after April is not my only job. Yes, we have been watching her for a very long time... enjoy the <free> show people. Get more popcorn.
You all know how much I love to be wrong about my predictions, but such is life. I'll keep all posted and will let you know when the baby is on its way. It really shouldn't be much longer, I'm just not going to tell you my guesstimate anymore.

17620271_946312648804948_1507693619474444810_o.jpg

4/2 Evening Update - a long one

Keepers continue to report the same physical and behavioral observations. The giraffes did enjoy some outside time today, though April chose to enjoy the sunshine and air from her doorway.
Tonight we share some answers and feedback from the vet on questions he receives in public forums.
"Faking out Dr. Tim"
So the timeline for my 24-48 hour prediction is rapidly coming to an end... not surprising is the fact that we still have no calf and we still don't have a giraffe in Labor! Pretty much all of her clinical signs from a couple days ago are still true. She just isn't quite ready to give the world what it wants.
To answer a few question I have seen on the web in various places: no, she isn't late; no, she isn't overdue; no, I'm not concerned she is "taking so long", nor should you be. Yes she remains happy and comfortable (considering the circumstances). Yes, she will have this calf when she is good and ready. No, public outcry won't change that. No, I cannot induce her, nor should we want to... (those are human constructs which don't apply to large wild animals and only endanger the life of April and her calf )Yes, it will be awesome when the calf arrives. No, watching after April is not my only job. Yes, we have been watching her for a very long time... enjoy the <free> show people. Get more popcorn.
You all know how much I love to be wrong about my predictions, but such is life. I'll keep all posted and will let you know when the baby is on its way. It really shouldn't be much longer, I'm just not going to tell you my guesstimate anymore.

17620271_946312648804948_1507693619474444810_o.jpg

See IMO that is the snooty dude I saw the first time I saw him

what a dic@

not surprising is the fact that we still have no calf and we still don't have a giraffe-- you were carrying on about how this the time

nor should you be. (not acting like I think he was responding to some of us! ) I will be concerned about what I want to be concerned about TY

public outcry won't change that. insulting I am quite sure most of are fully aware of this!

enjoy the <free> show people. gosh I hate it when I get confused, isn't this all about all the giraffes world wide FY

You all know how much I love to be wrong about my predictions, I have yet met a human that likes to be wrong --that is just a IMO dumb statement -

let you know when the baby is on its way. this is just a component of being human -- see" cry wolf" as it relates to trust issues!!

I'm just not going to tell you my guesstimate anymore. see above , at this point few are finding your guesstimates valid any longer

jeezzz he is obnoxious moo

Well, she's got 32 mins to come thru for the vet's 'this weekend' prediction....lots of tail action and swollen delivery region...maybe the vet has a chance?

Hi my dear

That is what I thought but I thought!! After 30 seconds and my post I thought come on, Russia is taking animals that are 20 feet tall and turning them into a photoshop!

Funny but the picture is soooo cute
I have a "giant" giraffe instead of a mini giraffe. Really, it's a 12" wooden giraffe that was hand-carved and painted in Kenya. I've never been to Kenya, though (unfortunately). I bought it off of a coworker over 20 years ago. In the small apartment where I lived at the time, the sun coming through the windows washed out the colors. I was going to get rid of it at one time, but thankfully my mother talked me out of it. Oh, the reason I say it's a giant ... I have a miniature village (houses, barn, trees, people, etc.) displayed on a bookcase in my home. I set the giraffe on one end and it towers above the village, so I named the display "Giraffic Park." :noooo:

I'd forgotten, too, about the little stuffed giraffe I bought 2-3 years ago on the 4th of July, or the days leading up. I always dread that time of year because the fireworks people set off here are so loud. Because of neurologically problems, sudden loud noises cause my nerves to over-fire. It's painful and exhausting, so I try to find a quiet spot when it gets dark. One year I went shopping and didn't intend to buy another stuffed animal (I have a large menagerie), but I kept walking past it until I just couldn't resist any longer! :crush:

Another giraffe story:
A few decades ago, I went to the zoo with my sister. I got low on film in my camera and wanted to save the last two shots for an elephant and a giraffe. But, in the cat house, a snow leopard froze and stared at the camera around my neck. It looked like she was posing for the camera and wasn't about to move until I took her picture, and so I did. I used my last shot for a giraffe. My sister had plenty of film left so she agreed to take a picture of an elephant for me. :discuss:

Okay, that's all of the giraffe stories I can think of, but this post is long enough that April's calf should be on it's way right now! I'll go check ...

I love this link~~ It explains a lot about April and why this birth predictions could be so off. I was amazed their Gestational period is 17 months.. Yikes that about double of humans ( an we all know those variables).

April is not a newbie Momma.. think this will be her 3rd or 4th calf. She seems fine and does have moments of variable modes ( just like humans do) ..But April sure doesn't appear to be in distress nor acting unusual at all!!

Reading this link I believe it's quite possible there may have been assumption of when she conceived... so as long as April is behaving healthy and normal.. Let's just enjoy the privilege of ability to watch such a wonderful natural happening!!

Here's the link I am referring to~~ http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...on-period-April-the-giraffe-pregnant-how-long
Giraffes have one of the longest gestation periods of any animal and are pregnant for around 14 to 15 months, or 453 to 464 days.

“We observed breeding behaviour in about mid-October (2015). It does not mean just because they bred, they conceived.

“If anything, maybe we missed a cycle. Cycles are every 17 days, so maybe 17 days past what we thought was the due date. Or maybe 34 days after that.”

Your just a fatso Miss April! I feel so much better when she is lying down!!

It has been amazing they have a lot of doggie stuff. The way the ears move, seems like the nose is a source of info, licking themselves
I think she swallowed a basketball.

Is it just me or does anyone else see April right now -chewing her popcorn and watching us?!

I am so glad to find this thread!!! I have been doing giraffe watch until my head hurts! It's a lovely break from crime.

Happy Monday morning! No calf yet - I was unable to watch much yesterday but kept thinking about our girl......

I think the vet for April is like this! I am beginning to wonder if he got his degree from night school. j/k

[video=youtube;5Tme_i1hW0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tme_i1hW0w[/video]

LIVE STREAM: April the Giraffe not 'quite ready to give world what it wants'

By Dave Bartkowiak Jr.

Posted: 6:15 AM, April 03, 2017
Updated: 8:44 AM, April 03, 2017

...Monday: This morning keeper report is no interest in grain and only smelling lettuce treats. No discomfort evident, no distress - normal progression as expected in the process. Many of you may have witnessed what appeared as "pushing" contractions last night. The team and vet were in communication regarding these and were documented throughout the night. Let's see if April's plan is to break up your work week!...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/live/...e-not-quite-ready-to-give-world-what-it-wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice