NY- Girl, 10, raped by man she met on online app Bumble, LE searching for suspect, East Harlem, 6 January 2024 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re the British man's Bieber lure: Only 14 years??? SMH. At least he is locked up and probably not considered a "good guy" in prison. Grrrrr.
It sickens me every time i follow a case from here in the UK. Our sentences are so ridiculous that im surprised anyone is frightened of deterred from committing any crimes.

I think people without children this age would be amazed how common this level of access to apps and online predators actually is. I have a 10 year old. She isn’t allowed a phone, but she’s only 1 of 2 in her class who don’t have one. A number of her 9 year old friends have phones.

She does have an iPad (only allowed under supervision and on special occasions) and because of that, we’ve talked about all of this and looked at apps and talked about what’s safe and what isn’t. Nearly all of her 9-10 year old friends have TikTok and Snapchat. We’ve logged in and looked at her friends’ TikToks before. They have all sorts of weirdos following them (but their parents and siblings as well so their family is well aware, if I can see it, they can see it). It makes my stomach feel like it’s going to drop on the floor. Her one friend is regularly messaging all sorts of random people. And is up at all hours, 2am, 3am posting stuff. 10 years old!

I can absolutely see how this sort of thing could so easily happen to so many children and so quickly. You let your guard down for one day because you have to work and have no other childcare. They download an app, start talking to someone, they could be meeting them within hours. JMO but it’s really frightening how easy it is for predators to contact children when they have access to the internet and just a tiny bit of freedom.

New York, NY – The U.S. Marshals Service (USMS) New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force (NY/NJRFTF), with assistance from the New York Police Department's (NYPD) Special Victims Unit (SVU), today apprehended a man wanted for the Jan. 6 rape of a 10-year-old girl he allegedly lured to his apartment in East Harlem.

Drequan Howard purportedly met the victim through an online social application and quickly arranged for an in-person meeting in Harlem before attacking her in his apartment and fleeing on foot.

[ …]

The defendant remains in state custody pending possible adoption of federal charges by the Southern District of New York.

A man accused of raping a 10-year-old girl in East Harlem after he met the child on Bumble turned himself in to cops on Wednesday, cops and police sources said.

Drequan Drayton-Howard, 23, of the Bronx, was booked at the 26th Precinct in connection to the heinous Jan. 6 sex attack on the youngster he met through the social media and dating app, authorities and sources said.

He was charged with rape, sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, cops said.

Drayton-Howard — who has no prior arrests — met up with the victim around 9 p.m. at Third Avenue and East 122nd Street, where he allegedly carried out the sick assault, cops and sources said.

A man accused of raping a 10-year-old girl in East Harlem after he met the child on Bumble turned himself in to cops on Wednesday, cops and police sources said.

Drequan Drayton-Howard, 23, of the Bronx, was booked at the 26th Precinct in connection to the heinous Jan. 6 sex attack on the youngster he met through the social media and dating app, authorities and sources said.

He was charged with rape, sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, cops said.

Drayton-Howard — who has no prior arrests — met up with the victim around 9 p.m. at Third Avenue and East 122nd Street, where he allegedly carried out the sick assault, cops and sources said.

I'm genuinely shocked he turned himself in. I mean the images were very good so someone was going to name him, but I kind of expected him to go on the run, leave state, etc.

from the link:
Drayton-Howard remained on the lam until the NYPD and the US Marshals Service arranged for him to surrender, the sources said.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely shocked he turned himself in. I mean the images were very good so someone was going to name him, but I kind of expected him to go on the run, leave state, etc.

from the link:
Drayton-Howard remained on the lam until the NYPD and the US Marshals Service arranged for him to surrender, the sources said.
I guess a friend or a family member placed a call to LE.

''Police say the victim may have created a fake account on the app.

Officers say Drayton-Howard met up with the child and took her to an apartment in the area of Third Avenue and East 122nd Street earlier this month.

The victim reported the rape shortly after it happened. ''

"Bumble is sickened by the allegations and is cooperating with law enforcement. Child sexual abuse is a horrific crime and has no place in society or on Bumble's platform. We take all gender-based violence reports incredibly seriously.''

''Police say the victim may have created a fake account on the app.

Officers say Drayton-Howard met up with the child and took her to an apartment in the area of Third Avenue and East 122nd Street earlier this month.

The victim reported the rape shortly after it happened. ''

"Bumble is sickened by the allegations and is cooperating with law enforcement. Child sexual abuse is a horrific crime and has no place in society or on Bumble's platform. We take all gender-based violence reports incredibly seriously.''

Has anyone had a Bumble account? Are they easy to set up, any age restrictions? For example, would you need to supply a bank card to be able to create one?

Has anyone had a Bumble account? Are they easy to set up, any age restrictions? For example, would you need to supply a bank card to be able to create one?
I've had one several years ago and my friends use it now - super easy to download and set up, I believe there's an option to become "verified" so that potential matches know you're a real person and not a bot or scammer, which involves sharing your ID with the app, but it isn't required. Without the verification, it's super easy to set up fake profiles.

I've had one several years ago and my friends use it now - super easy to download and set up, I believe there's an option to become "verified" so that potential matches know you're a real person and not a bot or scammer, which involves sharing your ID with the app, but it isn't required. Without the verification, it's super easy to set up fake profiles.

Thank you! So maybe adult apps like Bumble can also take some responsibility in enforcing verifications to prove adult age in order to join. More regulation is needed overall.

Thank you! So maybe adult apps like Bumble can also take some responsibility in enforcing verifications to prove adult age in order to join. More regulation is needed overall.
Absolutely agree with you, but nothing trumps parental oversight. I'm still curious about how this child did what she did? Speaking of oversight, I hope CPS is investigating the adults in charge of her and thier home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back