Recovered/Located NY - Halo Branton, 10 months, Hillhurst Park, Schenectady, 10 Mar 2024 *deceased after found*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems to be that the charges ought to be more than 2nd degree homicid
It's because of the intoxication part--

MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE
(Reckless Homicide)
Penal Law § 125.15(1)
(Committed on or after Sept. 1, 1967)
The (specify) count is Manslaughter in the Second Degree.
Under our law, a person is guilty of Manslaughter in the
Second Degree when that person recklessly causes the death of
another person.

[NOTE: Where there is evidence of voluntary intoxication on the
part of the defendant, add:
A person also acts recklessly when he or she creates such
a risk but is unaware of that risk solely by reason of his or her
voluntary intoxication

It's a class C felony punishable

New York Manslaughter in the Second Degree is a Class “C” Non-Violent Felony. As such, this charge is punishable by up to 5 to 15 years in prison. The minimum sentence on Manslaughter in the Second Degree is 1 to 3 years incarceration.
"A person also acts recklessly when he or she creates such
voluntary intoxication"
It's the law there, but she was perfectly aware that she decided to get drunk in the presence of her own defenseless baby, not an adult who could conceivably protect themselves against her actions.
Halo was 10 months old for crying out loud ! This is more than "recklessness", it's outright negligent homicide to me.

Seems to be that the charges ought to be more than 2nd degree homicid

"A person also acts recklessly when he or she creates such
voluntary intoxication"
It's the law there, but she was perfectly aware that she decided to get drunk in the presence of her own defenseless baby, not an adult who could conceivably protect themselves against her actions.
Halo was 10 months old for crying out loud ! This is more than "recklessness", it's outright negligent homicide to me.
IA totally. I saw a video of a story where it appears it was a gathering of at least 7-8 people…it looked like her in the bg bouncing the baby to soothe her.

I’m not gonna act like adults can’t have drinks at a gathering while there’s children present, but mom shouldn’t have been drunk. And the other adults should have told her to slow down, cut her off and tell her to hand the baby over to a responsible adult. If the rest of them were plastered as well and too caught up in partying, well I’m not opposed to additional charges for endangering the welfare of a child. Would bet there was more than just alcohol at the party too.

I’m wondering why she was living in a homeless shelter? Was she resistant to living in FL with her family? I’m sure dad would have preferred his daughter to be alive and in FL rather than relatively close but staying in a shelter, then later with a bf who clearly didn’t care that his gf wasn’t a good mother. BF has his own daughter too that’s only a year or two older from what I saw…it could have been his baby she dropped down a pipe access area, I hope he realizes that.

If I were the bf’s mother I’d be limiting visitation and fighting for supervised visitation only. That woman shouldn’t have been caring for anyone’s child, much less her own.

It's because of the intoxication part--

MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE
(Reckless Homicide)
Penal Law § 125.15(1)
(Committed on or after Sept. 1, 1967)
The (specify) count is Manslaughter in the Second Degree.
Under our law, a person is guilty of Manslaughter in the
Second Degree when that person recklessly causes the death of
another person.

[NOTE: Where there is evidence of voluntary intoxication on the
part of the defendant, add:
A person also acts recklessly when he or she creates such
voluntary intoxication

It's a class C felony punishable

New York Manslaughter in the Second Degree is a Class “C” Non-Violent Felony. As such, this charge is punishable by up to 5 to 15 years in prison. The minimum sentence on Manslaughter in the Second Degree is 1 to 3 years incarceration.
It could be this or it could be that they RIGHT NOW can prove 2nd degree manslaughter and put her in jail. I have seen other cases where the defendant was later charged with a more severe charge because LE was able to build a case during the investigation (say, by gathering ring/doorbell footage) but in the meantime, stayed in jail on a lesser charge. I certainly hope so, because this sounds to me like it could be first degree - in that "mom" clearly had premeditation (who accidentally finds themselves with their young child in a shed on private property). Manslaughter is more of a reckless endangerment standard - I didn't have a car seat for my child. Not I took my under one year old onto private property to a shed and, what? accidentally dangled her over a pipe.

ETA - at least she can't harm any of her other children/child while in jail.

Last edited:
It could be this or it could be that they RIGHT NOW can prove 2nd degree manslaughter and put her in jail. I have seen other cases where the defendant was later charged with a more severe charge because LE was able to build a case during the investigation (say, by gathering ring/doorbell footage) but in the meantime, stayed in jail on a lesser charge. I certainly hope so, because this sounds to me like it could be first degree - in that "mom" clearly had premeditation (who accidentally finds themselves with their young child in a shed on private property). Manslaughter is more of a reckless endangerment standard - I didn't have a car seat for my child. Not I took my under one year old onto private property to a shed and, what? accidentally dangled her over a pipe.
She's just gonna say that she got so drunk she didn't even know she had the child with her. I hope there will be more charges though.

If you are referring to her car seat photo, it appears the harness is causing her right lower lob to fold because of pressure.
It's on several photos I've seen. Including this one from The Mirror:

I'm sure it's probably a coincidence--it's just that it stands out to me now when I see it on someone.

0_Halo-Branton.jpg

Possibly dad, or a family member if mom lied and said someone took her.
Dad lives in the city which is about 2.5-3 hours south of where this took place. When he found out she was missing Sunday morning he went up to Schenectady. There is local chatter about who called 911 and how this unfolded but I’ll have to wait until MSM confirms it.

EDITED TO ADD: just read updated news article that says a security guard at GE found the mom Saturday night trespassing and she said she didn’t know where her baby was, which prompted HIM to call 911.

Last edited:
“The upgraded charge comes after an autopsy on the child showed Halo died of exposure, hypothermia, Carney said.”

“The baby did not drown, the baby was in the water which came up to her chest and around her head, but not her face,” the district attorney said.“

That poor child

The weird thing is that Halo has Frank's sign on her ears--the lower lobe fold--that's been associated with heart problems and end of-life. I wish someone would not have pointed that out to me when my mother was near death--but they did--and now I spot it like an eagle. I'm sure there are other reasons for Frank's sign, but it's odd that it appears on Halo's little ears.
Can you please point out the photo you see this in? Just curious, thanks.

MAR 11, 2024
[...]

The Schenectady County District Attorney said that when Nelson abandoned the child she showed a "depraved indifference," which is a component of New York's murder statute.

[...]

Persia Nelson, 24, appears in Schenectady City Court on Monday to face a second-degree murder charge tied to the death Sunday of her 11-month-old daughter Halo R. Branton. (Paul Nelson/Times Union)

Persia Nelson, 24, appears in Schenectady City Court on Monday to face a second-degree murder charge tied to the death Sunday of her 11-month-old daughter Halo R. Branton. (Paul Nelson/Times Union)

[...]

“The upgraded charge comes after an autopsy on the child showed Halo died of exposure, hypothermia, Carney said.”

“The baby did not drown, the baby was in the water which came up to her chest and around her head, but not her face,” the district attorney said.“

That poor child

I hate this woman. :mad:

Nelson was found in a GE heated building...

MAR 11, 2024
At the Hudson boat launch on a sunny but windy day, a crowd gathered to send up balloons in memory of little Halo Branton.

It was a gathering of family and friends of the baby’s father, Amar Branton.

[...]

Nelson does a lot on Facebook, posting more than two dozen times Sunday alone, including the most recent post that says, “I’m drunk, don’t play with me right now.” That post had more than 3,000 angry comments from the public.

[...]

For friends and family especially, it’s difficult knowing how she died, out in the elements.

[...]

Halo’s father, Amar Branton, described his daughter as playful, sweet, and beautiful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back