Found Deceased NY - Heikki Rantakari, 44, University of Rochester Professor, believed to be in danger, 20 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Rochester police are searching for a missing professor from the University of Rochester who is believed to be in danger.
Heikki-Rantakari-feat-image.png

According to RPD, 44-year-old Heikki Rantakari was believed to have been last seen in the 1000 block of Exchange Street at some point on Friday, October 20.

Investigators say that they have received information that indicates that Rantakari may be in danger

Rantakari is listed on the University of Rochester's Simon School web page as an associate professor.

*eta:
rantakari_heikki-1.jpg.webp

Heikki Rantakari
Associate Professor

Last edited:
Rantakari is from the Boston-area, said Capt. Greg Bello of the Rochester Police Department. He's also a visiting associate professor (in applied economics) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he also attended university, according to MIT's website.

Rantakari arrived at his Airbnb on Exchange Street Friday night but did not show up for the Saturday morning class he was scheduled to teach on campus, Bello said.

Intresting that it was the university that reported him missing. Wonder if he has a significant other or any other family that he lives with. Did none of them notice his absence?

I see he was a visiting professor so this wasn't his "Home" university. Also I don't know if this is the case in other Universities but at mine Saturday morning classes were only available for Master's and Doctorate students and they were called "Corporate Structured" meaning it was 4 x a quarter 8 hours on Saturdays, they were also significantly expensive classes, so if my teacher didn't show up for a Saturday class we would have all been calling, because it would be 8 hours of missed class and literally thousands of dollars. I have no idea what MIT's Saturday classes are so this may not be the case here, but that is my educated guess as to why it was the university.

and why the message that he may be in danger - anyone see why that might be?

Just this: Further details were not released regarding why police believe Rantakari is in danger.

Well for one, 1000 block of Exchange St. is right on the edge of one of the most dangerous and violent parts of Rochester. I'd find it hard to believe he lives in that area, however on Street View it looks like there are some decent properties along there. 1000 Exchange St. last sold in 1998, could be UofR owns it.

JMO

I see he was a visiting professor so this wasn't his "Home" university. Also I don't know if this is the case in other Universities but at mine Saturday morning classes were only available for Master's and Doctorate students and they were called "Corporate Structured" meaning it was 4 x a quarter 8 hours on Saturdays, they were also significantly expensive classes, so if my teacher didn't show up for a Saturday class we would have all been calling, because it would be 8 hours of missed class and literally thousands of dollars. I have no idea what MIT's Saturday classes are so this may not be the case here, but that is my educated guess as to why it was the university.

Correct. So far it looks like he stayed at an AirBnb in Rochester, so my guess would be the property he rents is on Exchange. Also said he walks to and from work. Which would be the foot bridge over the river, to the campus.

The Finnish media has picked up his disappeaeance as well (Heikki is a Finn although he has been living in the US for a long time already).

No further details published here in Finlabd, either (that’s why I won’t translate the content of the article):

”He may have been walking around the neighborhood late Friday. Or he could have walked to campus using a nearby pedestrian bridge that spans the Genesee River.”

Beyond the obvious circumstances that just poof, this guy has disappeared, there’s been some other information that indicates this guy may be in danger as well," Bello said.
Snipped

This is striking to me. There's an indication not just that he's missing, but that he's in danger. There must be some kind of history for that, or else an incident on video cam?

”He may have been walking around the neighborhood late Friday. Or he could have walked to campus using a nearby pedestrian bridge that spans the Genesee River.”

That comment appears, in the article, to be coming from family and friends, rather than police.

Having arrived at the airport at 7 pm, he'd have had plenty of time for dinner and a stroll before being seen at the Airbnb at 9 pm.

I found the schedule of classes, he was there to teach 'Game theory for managers' which was to start at 8 am.

Carefull, this link will download the schedule!

Given that very early start time, I really wonder why he would be setting out for a stroll so late on a chilly night. Unless a person is already troubled in some way, TV or a book would be more usual, IMO.

The economist was scheduled to teach a class in game theory at the University of Rochester Simon School of Business the morning of Saturday, Oct. 21

Rantakari specializes in organizational economics, or the study of non-economic transactions within entities. He is particularly well known for his work on delegation, or questions about who has authority in organizations and how they communicate, said Florian Ederer, a classmate from graduate school who is an economist at Boston University's Questrom School of Business.

1698267724913.jpeg
They said that he was last seen on the evening of October 20 around 1062 Exchange St. (14608) and may have been walking in that area or its surroundings

Last edited:
He may have taken a walk on the riverside trail near there. it would be difficult to fall in unless you were especially clumsy. That area is mostly safe but I have been down there when there were some shady individuals as well.

Snipped

This is striking to me. There's an indication not just that he's missing, but that he's in danger. There must be some kind of history for that, or else an incident on video cam?
I agree. The wording ”police believe he may be in danger” is striking to me as well.

If he has got some (known) health issues I’d think LE had put it along the lines of ”needs regular medication”, ”may be in vulnerable state” etc. - unless trying to protect his privacy more carefully (as a professor as well).

I can only imagine the academic pressure in his field so unfortunately self-harm is always an option, too. JMO.

Praying for the best and thinking about his family, friends and students.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back