NY - Ilya Lichtenstein & Heather Morgan, 2016 hack of $4.5B Stolen Crypto, NYC, 8 Feb 2022 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

A federal magistrate judge granted a request by her attorney to modify the terms of her home confinement so that she can work three days a week from the New York City offices of a tech company, according to Bloomberg News.

It appears that IL and HM will be pleading guilty.

• The New York couple charged with trying to launder $4.5 billion in bitcoin stolen in a 2016 hack of Bitfinex appear set to plead guilty in the case, a new federal court docket entry suggests.
  • IL and HM have been charged in a new document typically used by federal prosecutors when defendants have agreed to plead guilty.

IL and HM will appear in court on Aug. 3 for separate arraignments and plea hearings.

IL has entered a guilty plea for the conspiracy-to-commit-laundering charge and has admitted that he pulled off the biggest crypto heist in history. HM pleaded guilty to one count of money laundering and one count of conspiracy to defraud the United States.

IL also admitted that he had converted some of the stolen crypto to gold coins and that HM had buried the gold somewhere in California.

Stealing crypto is relatively easy. Getting it out of the system and usable is where they all get caught. It's surprisingly difficult. Especially when the stolen amount is so high -- all eyes are on that money for signs of life/movement.

It is an interesting story of "today", isn't it. I try to recollect how people made themselves 'famous' in past decades. If not in a criminal sense, I think that there were creative manipulators who "made the person famous". If in a criminal sense, the crime made the person famous.
But today narcissists rule the narrative. Loving your own image and projecting that image to the world....

What is the future of their story? I do have to wonder where they have hidden more from their heist. I wonder what she is going to come up with next. Once Narcissus sees his reflection in the well, there is no going back.

Anyway, thanks @Countem for keeping us 'in the know'.

Stealing crypto is relatively easy. Getting it out of the system and usable is where they all get caught. It's surprisingly difficult. Especially when the stolen amount is so high -- all eyes are on that money for signs of life/movement.

Yes! It seems like they were able to recover a majority of it for that very reason. It didn’t help them that the value ballooned after the heist!

It is an interesting story of "today", isn't it. I try to recollect how people made themselves 'famous' in past decades. If not in a criminal sense, I think that there were creative manipulators who "made the person famous". If in a criminal sense, the crime made the person famous.
But today narcissists rule the narrative. Loving your own image and projecting that image to the world....

What is the future of their story? I do have to wonder where they have hidden more from their heist. I wonder what she is going to come up with next. Once Narcissus sees his reflection in the well, there is no going back.

Anyway, thanks @Countem for keeping us 'in the know'.

Of course! I do wonder if they still have anything squirreled away for safekeeping.

This article has a lot of good information in it, including IL and HM’s cover-up attempts, IL’s previous hacking activity, and, most interestingly, the US’s offering of a spot in the witness protection program for IL. Hm. Makes you wonder what he will be doing for the US.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali
Back